T Nation

The Arch in Squatting and Deadlifting

hi guys
when i heavy deadlift i get a pain in the right side of my lower back i think it could e linked to over arching.

when deadlifting are you ment to arch your back as much as possile, or just keep it straight with a slight arch?

cheers

If you make a concious effort of making an exagerated arch during the deadlift, it will negatively affect your strength in the DL. Obviously its different for the squat.

Check out Wendler’s DL setup. Tight back but not a big arch.

just keep your lower back in its natural, slightly arched position. then get tight and lock it in place.

It all depends on the person. Some people get the most out of having their back completely rounded when they pull, some people arch hard as shit. That obviously doesnt work for you if you experience pain from it.

More important than your lower back when you pull is the position of your upper back. When you get set, arch that hard and stick your chest out, then pull. Give that a shot next time you deadlift heavy and see if the pain stops.

cheers guys
that is a sick deadlift by wendler

strorm the beach yh i also do try n stick my chest out,
i am gunna take some time in just working on my lower back and hamstrings and then get ack into deadlifting

i also found this video helpful

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:
It all depends on the person. Some people get the most out of having their back completely rounded when they pull, some people arch hard as shit. That obviously doesnt work for you if you experience pain from it.

More important than your lower back when you pull is the position of your upper back. When you get set, arch that hard and stick your chest out, then pull. Give that a shot next time you deadlift heavy and see if the pain stops.[/quote]

Agreed. Setting the upper back and flexing my lats to lock my scapulae down really helps me deadlift.