T Nation

The Anti-Homer Simpson Workout

From today's Wall Street Journal. Article about the workout philosophy of Matt Selman, executive producer of "The Simpsons."

Very Funny. I thought some of you might relate.

For someone who exercises for an hour a day 7 days a week he looks pretty ordinary.

But, hey, he writes for the Simpsons, that’s more than enough in my book. Who cares what he looks like.

When you spend more on your socks than your food, don’t expect to be another Arnold.

But working on those shows is massively time-consuming, he’s lucky he can make it to the gym at all.

[quote]FarmerBrett wrote:
For someone who exercises for an hour a day 7 days a week he looks pretty ordinary.

[/quote]

…along with most of the people you see every morning at the gym.

Yeah, I just laughed at some of his insights on aging and his fascination with the fitness culture, and he’s obviously got a great sense of humor. Trying NOT to look like Homer Simpson seems a worthy goal.

When “The Simpsons” ends, he plans to workout twice a day and become a male model.

And about his squats, “I’ve gotten pretty good at ass lowering over the past few years.”

Very funny.

[quote]cavalier wrote:
When you spend more on your socks than your food, don’t expect to be another Arnold.

[/quote]

I’m gonna admit to owning a few pairs of SmartWool Socks (worth every penny) but I don’t wear them to the gym. :slight_smile:

I wonder if enjoying your socks is one step away from bragging about your comfortable shoes.

[quote]cavalier wrote:

But working on those shows is massively time-consuming, he’s lucky he can make it to the gym at all.[/quote]

I missed the part where he said he was trying to be another Arnold.

I think he seems to have a good sense of humor about it, and it doesn’t sound like he’s holding himself up as a paragon of fitness. He’s pretty self-deprecating, and just seems like a guy who enjoys working out and the side benefit of being able to enjoy some unhealthy stuff without turning into a Biggest Loser contestant. Puts him ahead of much of the population.

I know that this site is about pursuit of somewhat bigger things for many often regulars here, but there is nothing wrong with being “just a guy who works out to be healthy” - and many folks would do well to follow his lead.