The Anabolic Diet & Social Drinking

[quote]Kaylak wrote:
lixy wrote:
Kaylak wrote:
Lixy, he can. Alcohol is a stressor, forcing adaptation and, just like training, can have positive benefit

Yeah, but in the same sense that taking poison is a stressor. I personally would never call it a “healthy” drink. Physiological benefits of alcohol (even at small quantities) are clearly outweighed by its drawbacks. It is irresponsible to say that a “little alcohol is healthy”.

I don’t know, I’d tend to disagree. It may be toxic to cells, but it also improves bloodflow (so will disadvantage some cells, but benefit others). [/quote] As much as any other diuretic. It doesn’t improve blood flow, fool. It dilates the arteries and veins, as it depletes the water and oxygen out of cells. Understand? [quote]It’s also not directly mutagenic. The amount needed to gain the benefit is approximately 1 standard drink a day, and that’s not going to impair your judgement.
Plus there are the social benefits and the nutrient/various chemical compound benefits (depending on what you’re drinking - obviously doesn’t refer to spirits, especially mixed with crap like coke or orange ‘fruit’ drink).
There’s obviously the possibility of lowered T levels, but at that amount I’d think any variation would be insignificant.
[/quote]

Social benefits? What, to look like a dumb ass while drunk? Capital. You know drunks are just soooo cool! Take a night and just watch people that drink. They all act stupid.

Nutritional benefits? Like, more beneficial than eating veggies with your steak or fruit for dessert? Are you for real?

Drink up, dude. I don’t care. All I know is I’m a much happier and healthier person for not drinking.

Cool, I didn’t know about the brain or water uptake thing. By nutrients I mean stuff like resveratol and various antioxidants (sure, you can get them from food, but I’d look at it as a supplement).

By social benefits, I mean a relaxing social scene - you’re with friends, you’re having a drink and meeting people. I hope you don’t get drunk from one drink.

I’m not trying to promote binging, simply putting forth arguments that make sense to me. Personally I hardly ever drink (glass of wine maybe once a month).

Oh, and trust me, I know what you mean about the drunks acting stupid - I’m a teenager, how could I not :\

And keep in mind i’m suggesting no more than ONE standard drink per day.

[quote]kroby wrote:
Kaylak wrote:
lixy wrote:
Kaylak wrote:
Lixy, he can. Alcohol is a stressor, forcing adaptation and, just like training, can have positive benefit

Yeah, but in the same sense that taking poison is a stressor. I personally would never call it a “healthy” drink. Physiological benefits of alcohol (even at small quantities) are clearly outweighed by its drawbacks. It is irresponsible to say that a “little alcohol is healthy”.

I don’t know, I’d tend to disagree. It may be toxic to cells, but it also improves bloodflow (so will disadvantage some cells, but benefit others). As much as any other diuretic. It doesn’t improve blood flow, fool. It dilates the arteries and veins, as it depletes the water and oxygen out of cells. Understand? It’s also not directly mutagenic. The amount needed to gain the benefit is approximately 1 standard drink a day, and that’s not going to impair your judgement.
Plus there are the social benefits and the nutrient/various chemical compound benefits (depending on what you’re drinking - obviously doesn’t refer to spirits, especially mixed with crap like coke or orange ‘fruit’ drink).
There’s obviously the possibility of lowered T levels, but at that amount I’d think any variation would be insignificant.

Social benefits? What, to look like a dumb ass while drunk? Capital. You know drunks are just soooo cool! Take a night and just watch people that drink. They all act stupid.

Nutritional benefits? Like, more beneficial than eating veggies with your steak or fruit for dessert? Are you for real?

Drink up, dude. I don’t care. All I know is I’m a much happier and healthier person for not drinking.[/quote]

kroby there are dozens of shades of grey between teetotaling and drunkeness. It is easy to come up with reasons for not binging, while it is far more difficult to argue against one or two drinks in a day.

As far as testosterone goes, I have never had trouble performing after mild drinking (which is all I ever do) and find Port wine (a fortified red wine, up in the 15-20% alcohol by volume) to be rather stimulating.

There has also been a study done showing that Guinness worked as well as aspirin for preventing heart clots. The researchers ascribe this to antioxidants in the beer similar to those in fruits and vegetables. Lager style beer was not successful in reducing clotting.

Social drinking does not have to entail drunkenness. Imo, it is too anal to chalk one or two drinks as utterly destructive to all bodybuilding goals unless one chooses to do so.

I’m sure we could go back and forth about positive vs. negatives of alcoholic drinks all day, but one could do so about inorganic food, or coffee, etc. If its “bad” for you, and you know its bad for you, plan it out, do it in moderation, and enjoy it :slight_smile:

[quote]kroby wrote:
Bah. Alcohol is not healthy. It may not be deleterious in moderation, but it certainly is not healthy. Ever. At all.

The -OH portion of the molecule inhibits normal cellular chemical uptake in the brain. In essence, the brain starves from “not normal operating procedures.” There is a diminished supply of water, amongst other chemicals the brain does not receive due to the presence of alcohol.

This chemical imbalance can affect the whole system, given enough abuse. In fact, just “a buzz” can affect testosterone production for up to two days. Go for it, champ. Suppress your nuts.

If you think drinking is healthy, then you’re sure to believe anorexia is a viable fat loss option. Dumb ass.[/quote]

A LITTLE alcohol is healthy. A little meaning an ounce or maybe 2 depending on the person a couple few times a weeks. I put less stock in medical studies than just anybody here, but there are mountains of evidence to this effect.

I do not drink at all anymore and am not encouraging anybody else to. Quite the contrary, but the fact remains, like so many other things in the area of nutrition, a little is good and more is bad. In the case of alcohol it becomes downright horrible fairly quick in amounts over a little even though the effects may not be felt right away, especially in young people.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
A LITTLE alcohol is healthy. A little meaning an ounce or maybe 2 depending on the person a couple few times a weeks. I put less stock in medical studies than just anybody here, but there are mountains of evidence to this effect. [/quote]

No sir. Kaylak was onto something when he specified that it’s good for social interaction. But physiologically, it simply ain’t anywhere near healthy.

Every single one of the medical studies you’re referring to, doesn’t take into account that the majority of non-drinkers are either recovering alcoholics or simply sick. How many healthy and balanced people do you know that have a zero-tolerance policy vis-a-vis alcohol? 0.01%? Maybe even less.

Heck, don’t believe me, ask any guru around here.

Propagating the myth that “a little alcohol” does more good than harm is irresponsible.

P.S: I’ll advise you to read the following.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Tiribulus wrote:
A LITTLE alcohol is healthy. A little meaning an ounce or maybe 2 depending on the person a couple few times a weeks. I put less stock in medical studies than just anybody here, but there are mountains of evidence to this effect.

No sir. Kaylak was onto something when he specified that it’s good for social interaction. But physiologically, it simply ain’t anywhere near healthy.

Every single one of the medical studies you’re referring to, doesn’t take into account that the majority of non-drinkers are either recovering alcoholics or simply sick. How many healthy and balanced people do you know that have a zero-tolerance policy vis-a-vis alcohol? 0.01%? Maybe even less.

Heck, don’t believe me, ask any guru around here.

Propagating the myth that “a little alcohol” does more good than harm is irresponsible.

P.S: I’ll advise you to read the following.
ALCOHOL — HEALTH BENEFIT OR HAZARD? [/quote]

I am not encouraging anybody to drink and I agree that any beneficial effects can also be had from other sources as this essay states at the end. However the judicious absence of a definition of “low” consumption calls much of it’s weightiness into question. Also there is a consistent reference to moderate and high consumption in the middle of a train of thought that begins by postulating low consumption, still with no definition, in what follows.

My main focus in threads about alcohol is that somebody is almost always looking for reassurance that partying isn’t harming their physique pursuits or their health which is not the case. There is no compelling reason as far as I’m concerned to drink at all, but somebody who has a glass of wine with dinner or a beer or two here and there are at worst not harming themselves at all and at best may gain some ancillary CV benefits albeit nothing that couldn’t be better gotten from other sources.

This essay while competently written and referenced doesn’t dissuade me from this position. I cannot get around the notion that the conspicuous absence of anything defining what low consumption is assumed to mean through the whole piece is a silent slight of hand pointing to it being higher than I’m saying.

Wow, I did not expect this to turn into a full blown argument. I was never talking about getting completely wrecked. I was just talking about the social situation I am in I have to have 1 or 2 drinks at the most. It was only suggested to have an alternative low-carb drink instead of the traditional beer or rum/coke.

I don’t endorse getting wasted.

A lot of people in this thread are saying that drinking is a choice. And most often, yeah I’d have to say I agree with you completely. But, I’ve been to a lot of frat parties where the options are limited to brew or another form of alcohol. So basically you have the following options in that situation:

A) Not go out.

B) Say, “HOLD ON GUYS!!! I’m gonna go back to my dorm and grab a diet coke with lime! (Stick dildo in your ass and walk away).”

Yeah, or not drink anything. Just a thought.

[quote]danchubb wrote:
Yeah, or not drink anything. Just a thought. [/quote]

I may be attacked for being a fanatical purist joykill, but it all depends on how important your goals are. Nobody’s making anybody drink anything. If peer pressure is more important then call it what it is.

Agree with tribulus. He just phrased it better.

I disagree, but with the wording only. It’s not “how important your goals are,” but rather “what your goals are”.

My goals aren’t to get into contest shape. My goals are to get into really good shape, but still enjoy my life. That’s not to say those that don’t drink aren’t enjoying their life, but to me, going to watch the Seahawks on a Sunday and having a beer with a brat is much more satisfying then hitting 9% bf as opposed to say 12%.

Alcohol healthy? Never.

Very few people drink alone. That should tell you something: Let’s be honest here, most people especially men use alcohol as a social lubricant.

To the guy proposing the situation at the party and there is only keggers of beer, you can’t drink water? Or nothing at all?

I still hit the clubs and bars all the time, and I don’t drink a drop.

[quote]NE253 wrote:
I disagree, but with the wording only. It’s not “how important your goals are,” but rather “what your goals are”.

My goals aren’t to get into contest shape. My goals are to get into really good shape, but still enjoy my life. That’s not to say those that don’t drink aren’t enjoying their life, but to me, going to watch the Seahawks on a Sunday and having a beer with a brat is much more satisfying then hitting 9% bf as opposed to say 12%.[/quote]

A beer and a brat isn’t going to hurt anybody, hell 2 beers and 2 brats on occasion isn’t going to either. All I’m saying is that it’s always a choice, unless you are held at gunpoint with a beer bong in your mouth. Frat parties are not famous for healthy edifying activities.

If attending them causes somebody to damage their progress then they have chosen what’s more important. If their goals are modest enough not to be affected then that’s fine too, but again, let’s call it what it is.

[quote]greekdawg wrote:
Alcohol healthy? Never.

Very few people drink alone. That should tell you something: Let’s be honest here, most people especially men use alcohol as a social lubricant.

To the guy proposing the situation at the party and there is only keggers of beer, you can’t drink water? Or nothing at all?

I still hit the clubs and bars all the time, and I don’t drink a drop.[/quote]

I’m not talking about what people usually do. I’m talking about a beer or drink after work or a glass of wine with dinner. How many people drink that way is another story, but the ones who do are not harming themselves in any way more than what they’re probably eating and there are some cardio vascular benefits and maybe others that come with low consumption.

I am not saying people who drink are healthier than people who don’t, but with all the crap to worry about putting into your body these days a beer and a brat on the weekend doesn’t have to be very high on the list.

Agreed. Go Hawks!

Why is this forum 2 pages long? Look, if you go out once a week and have 1 or 2 drinks, then fine. Don;t worry about it. I really don’t think that a small amount will have a negative impact on your t levels.

Ultimately, you are responsible for what goes in your soup coolers. If it bothers you, don’t drink. If you have to, then get a tonic or something like that in a short glass so it looks like a drink. The situation may be forced, but the booze isn’t. Again, it’s only one or two drinks once a week.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
A beer and a brat isn’t going to hurt anybody, hell 2 beers and 2 brats on occasion isn’t going to either. [/quote]

As long as you don’t claim that it’s healthy I’m perfectly OK.