The Amazing Shrinking Man

25 lb in a week?

[quote]ebomb5522 wrote:
25 lb in a week?

[/quote]

Yes, see here’s the thing. I’ve been training since January 2008. And by that I mean I’d never picked up a weight in my life until then. Started at 125-130 lbs. Lot of people will argue with me about being an ectomorph based on other shit about me, but I’ve got a lot of qualities of both ectos and endos. Regardless of my actual bodytype, putting on 100 lbs. in 3 years (obviously not clean, lean muscle mass) meant that my body isn’t super-duper used to the size and isn’t really a fan of it (evidenced by the fact that my arms have so many stretch marks on them that it looks like a purple lightning storm, literally all over the underside of my bicep).

I will not claim to be a natural bodybuilder by any stretch of the imagination but it is currently irrelevant because neither of those pictures dealt with anything of that nature by about six months, when my hormones were completely balanced and no trace of any compound was left in my system. By this I mean my hormones had been balanced naturally for six months, so all gains in that time frame were natural gains, not enhanced gains, if you get my meaning. So again they are irrelevant to the scenario. I just informed so you knew why my body would reject the weight and how it got there so quickly.

I think people always look bigger when they are leaner (not to be confused with skinnier). Thats just me though.

-Zep

Great posts, Zep. That is why I had to drop weight to get in, not because your specific weight keeps you out, but because they have guidelines…and if you come in weighing way more than your standard for that height (mine was like 175lbs or some shit), they take a neck and waist measurement. That is all.

They are NOT body fat testing anyone…and frankly, that is why I keep questioning the OP because this much is clear to anyone who has been around weight lifting for any length of time. OF COURSE they didn’t get the measurement right…because no one gets a real percentage from a neck and waist measurement…so for a real gym rat to even think for a second that it was accurate is STRANGE AS ALL HELL.

If the OP is for real, I am not insulting you, just pointing out why people are thinking like they are.

Moving on though, 25lbs in a week is not happening without losing a ton of body water. I lost 25lbs in two weeks to get in…by not eating anything but salads and isopure protein and then doing cardio for up to 1-2 hours a day…and then getting in a sauna before the weigh in.

The op isn’t going into detail about any of this…and for someone to lose that much weight at that height in only one week is truly rare without using many of the same tactics that wrestlers use to make weight before a weigh in.

Anyone doing that would EXPECT to lose some muscle.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Great posts, Zep. That is why I had to drop weight to get in, not because your specific weight keeps you out, but because they have guidelines…and if you come in weighing way more than your standard for that height (mine was like 175lbs or some shit), they take a neck and waist measurement. That is all. They are NOT body fat testing anyone…and frankly, that is why I keep questioning the OP because this much is clear to anyone who has been around weight lifting for any length of time. OF COURSE they didn’t get the measurement right…because no one gets a real percentage from a neck and waist measurement…so for a real gym rat to even think for a second that it was accurate is STRANGE AS ALL HELL.

If the OP is for real, I am not insulting you, just pointing out why people are thinking like they are.

Moving on though, 25lbs in a week is not happening without losing a ton of body water. I lost 25lbs in two weeks to get in…by not eating anything but salads and isopure protein and then doing cardio for up to 1-2 hours a day…and then getting in a sauna before the weigh in.

The op isn’t going into detail about any of this…and for someone to lose that much weight at that height in only one week is truly rare without using many of the same tactics that wrestlers use to make weight before a weigh in.

[/quote]

Ok… Yes I realize that it is not the most accurate way in the world, but I will tell you right now that at MEPs they do that and then tell you your results as a BODY FAT PERCENTAGE, so the military might have changed what they do from when you did it. Also, 175 is for my height at 67 inches, you would be about 191 now, since your profile says you are 70 inches. I know its not perfect body fat measurement, but it was just a guideline to help you out with what was most likely lost.

Also, I’ve said in a previous post that I am primarily a power lifter, and as such I’ve never bothered with how fat I was, so to speak. And, I know you’re huge, so bear with me, but from the pictures I posted does it not seem like I at least kind of know what I’m doing in a gym, or at least could call my self a gym rat for being around long enough? I know I’m no you, but I’ve made some serious progress from 125 lbs. graduating high school.

My diet while doing this was my bodyweight x 1.5 in protein from boiled chicken breast and 1 protein shake, leafy greens once a day, and a handful of saltless sunflowers kernels once a day for fats, with flax oil to account for the rest. I adhered to the keto diet. I took creatine and never stopped for about a year and stopped for this weight loss, so yes a lot of water is going to be lost.

Is there anything else that needs clarification or “proving.” I mean you have two pictures of me. If nothing else just go off of the differences in them. But also, I don’t know how exactly you think I’m trying to trick you. I’m not nearly as impressive as half the people on here, I was just asking for help on something that I thought I was missing info on, because I have never had this much trouble with this before.

Also, keep in mind friend, I’m not exactly confident in my lifting abilities. I would wager that I know enough, given what I’ve accomplished so far, but I tend to doubt myself all the time, thinking I messed something up or missed out on something that I could have done better. I’m by nature the type of person that is always trying to learn. Complacency to me leads to failure. So I always want to be better, or know more on a subject.

I don’t think its too unreasonable to believe that I would ask for help in something fitness related since everyone has a thousand opinions on what’s the “Right thing to do.” Its all about listening to your body, I know that, but I can’t help but feeling that because this happened that I fucked something up. That I thought I was enough of an authority on the subject, but maybe that was just my ego. I was just trying to gain perspective and see if I made the mistakes and how I should fix them.

I have been forward about everything and given all info asked of me including pictures, how else can I help?

[quote]Zeppelin0731 wrote:
I think people always look bigger when they are leaner (not to be confused with skinnier). Thats just me though.

-Zep[/quote]
Yeah without shirts on, and look like twigs with shirts on

Dude, real talk, but you are bigger than 95% of the people on this website. Yes, I am bigger than you…but aside from me and MAYBE 4 others, there aren’t that many people looking like you did even when you thought you were “fat”…which is one reason the questions are coming at you.

But I’m done worrying about whether you are a troll because there will be decent info in the thread regardless.

For your first point, I already know they CALL IT a body fat percentage. I also know from experience what a real body fat percentage is…as should you.

That could possibly account for maybe 8lbs of water (the creatine) at your height, but you still have nearly 20 unaccounted for…in only one week. Maybe low carbs could provide up to another 8-10, but in only one week, it isn’t like you can even lose all that much body fat. Most weight loss would be from MUSCLE TISSUE and the water stored in them.

Unless you are way outside your natural abilities as far as your gains, one week isn’t even enough time to lose real muscle mass like that. Even Kevin Levrone didn’t shrink that fast.

In other words, BODY WATER is the issue and using a faulty guideline as a constant measurement to even keep track of progress is a mistake.

[/quote]

This is actually a really good point that I didnt think about when I wrote that novel ^^^. When I played football in highschool they used to make us weigh-in inbetween practices. I had no idea why until I asked and they said that they were checking to make sure we were staying hydrated. I lost 6 lbs one day over the course of 8 hours just having football practices in mid July.

I had to look it up. At 67 inches the maximum allowable weight is 175 lbs.

If I remember how those things worked though, the OP would have been more worried about decreasing his waist measurement, and increasing his neck measurement to beat the calculation. So I dont see it being helpful to try to drop water weight unless he was trying to get below 175 which would absurd given what weight he started at.

I am not sure how losing water weight affects your waist measurement as I have never tried to dehydrate myself for sports, and the only time I ever went on a crash diet I used water to keep me from being hungry all day. (Also, I didnt keep a waist measurement. Interestingly though, after I starved for 2 weeks I had a hard time gettin my appetite back.)

Truthfully, If I was the OP I would have tried to cheat the system because overall weight loss would be unbelievable in this case. I would have done abdominal draw-in exercises (looks like a vacuum pose done on all fours) and found one of those old school nautilus neck machines and just gone to town.

-Zep

Great posts, Zep.
[/quote]

Thanks for that by the way. I take it as a sign that I am learning some stuff by hanging out around here and trying to apply what I have experienced (granted it is limited).

-Zep

Dude, real talk, but you are bigger than 95% of the people on this website. Yes, I am bigger than you…but aside from me and MAYBE 4 others, there aren’t that many people looking like you did even when you thought you were “fat”…which is one reason the questions are coming at you.

But I’m done worrying about whether you are a troll because there will be decent info in the thread regardless.

For your first point, I already know they CALL IT a body fat percentage. I also know from experience what a real body fat percentage is…as should you.

That could possibly account for maybe 8lbs of water (the creatine) at your height, but you still have nearly 20 unaccounted for…in only one week. Maybe low carbs could provide up to another 8-10, but in only one week, it isn’t like you can even lose all that much body fat. Most weight loss would be from MUSCLE TISSUE and the water stored in them.

Unless you are way outside your natural abilities as far as your gains, one week isn’t even enough time to lose real muscle mass like that. Even Kevin Levrone didn’t shrink that fast.

In other words, BODY WATER is the issue and using a faulty guideline as a constant measurement to even keep track of progress is a mistake.
[/quote]

I really appreciate that X, but that’s what my concern was, that most of it was muscle tissue lost, and that I lost all that hard work and time. It sucks, man, to come to terms with that shit, that it will likely take a comparable amount of time to get it back as it did to put it on. Those 25 lbs. took about 10 weeks, and it sucks to think it will be that long again.

This was the first time I cut like this, most of the time I just eased up on calories a little bit. I don’t compete and I never cared about abs, so I didn’t need to worry about it in my mind as long as I kept from being “fat.” Lesson learned though. Thanks for your help though man, I appreciate it.

[/quote]

This is actually a really good point that I didnt think about when I wrote that novel ^^^. When I played football in highschool they used to make us weigh-in inbetween practices. I had no idea why until I asked and they said that they were checking to make sure we were staying hydrated. I lost 6 lbs one day over the course of 8 hours just having football practices in mid July.

I had to look it up. At 67 inches the maximum allowable weight is 175 lbs.

If I remember how those things worked though, the OP would have been more worried about decreasing his waist measurement, and increasing his neck measurement to beat the calculation. So I dont see it being helpful to try to drop water weight unless he was trying to get below 175 which would absurd given what weight he started at.

I am not sure how losing water weight affects your waist measurement as I have never tried to dehydrate myself for sports, and the only time I ever went on a crash diet I used water to keep me from being hungry all day. (Also, I didnt keep a waist measurement. Interestingly though, after I starved for 2 weeks I had a hard time gettin my appetite back.)

Truthfully, If I was the OP I would have tried to cheat the system because overall weight loss would be unbelievable in this case. I would have done abdominal draw-in exercises (looks like a vacuum pose done on all fours) and found one of those old school nautilus neck machines and just gone to town.

-Zep[/quote]

For me water weight accounted for at least 2 inches in the waist (likely from the lower back where excess water weight gets stored. If you ever hear people who’ve used oral “supplements” before they complain of a lower back pump, and that is allegedly what causes it). Don’t know if it is common, but whatever. I had to lose WEIGHT though specifically for the SEAL program.

As my scout said, “I don’t want to pull your stocky ass up into a boat, so I guarantee your team won’t.” For specifically his request, and he decides if I continue, I had to be in the neighborhood of 200 lbs. So it wasn’t just military standard. I only brought that up so you knew where I got my measurement from.

[quote]mrwayne wrote:

I really appreciate that X, but that’s what my concern was, that most of it was muscle tissue lost, and that I lost all that hard work and time. It sucks, man, to come to terms with that shit, that it will likely take a comparable amount of time to get it back as it did to put it on. Those 25 lbs. took about 10 weeks, and it sucks to think it will be that long again. This was the first time I cut like this, most of the time I just eased up on calories a little bit. I don’t compete and I never cared about abs, so I didn’t need to worry about it in my mind as long as I kept from being “fat.” Lesson learned though. Thanks for your help though man, I appreciate it.
[/quote]

Wait what? 10 weeks? Did I get that right?

-Zep

[/quote]

Damn that was slick. Didnt even think to ask about creatine.

-Zep

[quote]mrwayne wrote:
For me water weight accounted for at least 2 inches in the waist (likely from the lower back where excess water weight gets stored. If you ever hear people who’ve used oral “supplements” before they complain of a lower back pump, and that is allegedly what causes it). Don’t know if it is common, but whatever. I had to lose WEIGHT though specifically for the SEAL program. As my scout said, “I don’t want to pull your stocky ass up into a boat, so I guarantee your team won’t.” For specifically his request, and he decides if I continue, I had to be in the neighborhood of 200 lbs. So it wasn’t just military standard. I only brought that up so you knew where I got my measurement from.[/quote]

That makes sense.

-Zep

[quote]mrwayne wrote:

[/quote]

I really appreciate that X, but that’s what my concern was, that most of it was muscle tissue lost, and that I lost all that hard work and time. It sucks, man, to come to terms with that shit, that it will likely take a comparable amount of time to get it back as it did to put it on. Those 25 lbs. took about 10 weeks, and it sucks to think it will be that long again. This was the first time I cut like this, most of the time I just eased up on calories a little bit. I don’t compete and I never cared about abs, so I didn’t need to worry about it in my mind as long as I kept from being “fat.” Lesson learned though. Thanks for your help though man, I appreciate it.
[/quote]

Wait what? 10 weeks? Did I get that right?

-Zep[/quote]

It wasn’t 10 weeks ago, it just took 10 weeks total. I had been about that weight for like 6 or seven months, at even hormones (for me). But an earlier post I made may give you a clue as to how that happened.

[quote]mrwayne wrote:
If you ever hear people who’ve used oral “supplements” before they complain of a lower back pump, and that is allegedly what causes it). [/quote]

Nope, sorry bro I dont know much about any of those kinds of “supplements” haha. That interesting about the lower back pump. I wonder why that is.

-Zep

[quote]mrwayne wrote:
If you ever hear people who’ve used oral “supplements” before they complain of a lower back pump, and that is allegedly what causes it). [/quote]

Nope, sorry bro I dont know much about any of those kinds of “supplements” haha. That interesting about the lower back pump. I wonder why that is.

-Zep[/quote]

I’ve read how/why before, but I don’t really remember. That wasn’t the case for me, but i hear people complain about it a lot. But you’ll hear a lot of 300 + guys who use them say they can’t sleep more than 6 hours a night because they’ll be in so much pain from lack of lumbar support combined with that “pump.” I used to know a guy at that weight, his wife had to shower with him everyday because he couldn’t reach most of his body and had to have extra mirrors put on his truck because he couldn’t look in his blindspot while driving. Crazy.

[quote]mrwayne wrote:
It wasn’t 10 weeks ago. I had been about that weight for like 6 or seven months, at even hormones. But an earlier post I made may give you a clue as to how that happened. [/quote]

I am at this point officially confused (about time frames not the “supps”). It is 7:30 AM and I have not slept yet, so no degree of explaining is going to undo the mindfuck I have just encountered. Ill just figure it out tomorrow, or later today, or whatever (when I wake up).

Anyway, since your lifts are back to normal you are stronger pound for pound, which is a plus for powerlifters. (Right?) And, it allows you to not be so meticulous about your diet when you gain more weight this time. It doesnt sound like youre scared of gaining fat back, but rather just the percieved loss of size, which will probably come back as you try to increase your total.

So, in english, you can now make a few trips to the feeding trough that is Golden Corral and not worry about it so much.

I will however say this much…It doesnt matter how, or why you are where you are. What matters is that you are where you are now right now, and youre looking to progress. (Man that sounded stupid.)

My advice would be to just set a new goal and get back to work. Like (I think) Cressey said, progress should be constant. Progress can be weight loss too, so if you are happy right now having your lifts back and (at least to my eyes) looking bigger, then I see no point in looking back at it and starting to major in the minors (eventhough this is a bodybuilding forum and people love that kind of stuff).

That all being said, that does not mean that I think discussing where you lost the weight from is boring. Im just saying, it sounds like you are getting a bit flustered unnecessarily.

Just dont get hung up on it. The only way back is through the weight room and refrigerator, no matter how you wanna look at it.

My point is that there are a lot of good things to look that you can entertain yourself with until you start to set new pr’s or get bigger.

-Zep

[quote]mrwayne wrote:
I’ve read how/why before, but I don’t really remember. That wasn’t the case for me, but i hear people complain about it a lot. But you’ll hear a lot of 300 + guys who use them say they can’t sleep more than 6 hours a night because they’ll be in so much pain from lack of lumbar support combined with that “pump.” I used to know a guy at that weight, his wife had to shower with him everyday because he couldn’t reach most of his body and had to have extra mirrors put on his truck because he couldn’t look in his blindspot while driving. Crazy.[/quote]

Honestly stuff like this doesnt surprise me anymore. People do some wierd shit. There was an article on here about guys to took snake venom to try to dull their nervous system so that it wouldnt regulate how much muscle could grow.

I gotta go to sleep though man. I am beat.

-Zep

[quote]mrwayne wrote:
It wasn’t 10 weeks ago. I had been about that weight for like 6 or seven months, at even hormones. But an earlier post I made may give you a clue as to how that happened. [/quote]

I am at this point officially confused (about time frames not the “supps”). It is 7:30 AM and I have not slept yet, so no degree of explaining is going to undo the mindfuck I have just encountered. Ill just figure it out tomorrow, or later today, or whatever (when I wake up).

Anyway, since your lifts are back to normal you are stronger pound for pound, which is a plus for powerlifters. (Right?) And, it allows you to not be so meticulous about your diet when you gain more weight this time. It doesnt sound like youre scared of gaining fat back, but rather just the percieved loss of size, which will probably come back as you try to increase your total.

So, in english, you can now make a few trips to the feeding trough that is Golden Corral and not worry about it so much.

I will however say this much…It doesnt matter how, or why you are where you are. What matters is that you are where you are now right now, and youre looking to progress. (Man that sounded stupid.)

My advice would be to just set a new goal and get back to work. Like (I think) Cressey said, progress should be constant. Progress can be weight loss too, so if you are happy right now having your lifts back and (at least to my eyes) looking bigger, then I see no point in looking back at it and starting to major in the minors (eventhough this is a bodybuilding forum and people love that kind of stuff).

That all being said, that does not mean that I think discussing where you lost the weight from is boring. Im just saying, it sounds like you are getting a bit flustered unnecessarily.

Just dont get hung up on it. The only way back is through the weight room and refrigerator, no matter how you wanna look at it.

My point is that there are a lot of good things to look that you can entertain yourself with until you start to set new pr’s or get bigger.

-Zep[/quote]

Thanks man. That actually got my motivation right where it needed to be.