T Nation

The Aimless Trainee

Thought it’d be good idea to post up what I’ve been doing in the gym. I may enjoy this more than filling out all the google spreadsheets on my phone.

I call my training “aimless” because I really haven’t had definitive goals in the gym for awhile even though I typically followed a structured plan. I’m 34 and just want to stay lean and maintain a respectable amount of muscle as well as good work capacity for the long haul. That being said most days I’m in the gym will have some focus on explosiveness, strength, hypertrophy, and conditioning. I’m ok with not hitting my absolute genetic potential in strength or size at the expense of any other dimensions of wellness. Balanced, wholesome, peace of mind, etc. are all the name of the game for me inside and outside the kitchen or gym.

For better part of this year I had some success getting all my lifts up. I ran through Thib’s undulating strength and size program. In the process though, I got accustomed to taking 4, sometimes as much as 6 minutes rest between sets just to keep all my workouts low stress and ensure I was really putting max intensity into every set. While it lead to great gains, I ultimately strained my quad on a set of bulgarian split squats of all things :confused: and I did some much needed reevaluating.

I’m trying to get back to improving my work capacity for the time being. For right now, I’m doing some very crossfitty type EMOM workouts; however, they will actually include planned progressions. And I’m going to stick with the following split:

Sun: Delts/traps
Mon: Squat-centric leg day
Tues: Chest/back
Wed: OFF
Thu: Hinge-centric leg day
Fri: Bis/tris
Sat: OFF, i.e. cheat day :smiley:

It’s a little unusual, but I LOVE training with a bodypart split with each day focused on performance. I find it gives the best-looking physique as far as balancing aesthetic with athletic look if that makes sense…much more than the converse–performance based or powerlifting split geared towards higher volume hypertrophy work.

Let’s get to it!

7 Likes

Interesting approach, keen to watch along

Back logging for the last few weeks here.

Sunday 10.3.21: Delts/Traps
EMOM Strength Circuit
10 rounds of 6 each (so 30 total min)
A1. Med ball push press throw: 20lb
A2. Push press: 135lb
A3. Snatch high pull: 165lb

EMOM Accessory Circuit
3 rounds of 10 (12 min)
B1. Overhead press: 95lb
B2. Db lateral raise: 20lb
B3. Blast strap rear delt flye
B4. Battle ropes, alternating arms (20 sec)

This was fun! These are very light weights for me, but I’m glad I started so conservative. By my count this was 300 reps in 42 min, so definitely didn’t want to go over 50-60% on the weights! Definitely felt winded, but not like death. I intend to add 5-10% to the main lifts each week while subtracting a rep, so 6/5/4/3 in a 4 week wave. I’m hoping I’ll be able to make bigger jumps as I adapt to the circuits. I’m sticking with the EMOM template though for now. I felt so energized the rest of the day.

2 Likes

Monday 10.4.21: Legs
EMOM Strength Circuit
6 rounds of 6 (18 min)
A1. Box jump
A2. Front squat: 185lb
A3. Power clean: 135lb

EMOM assistance circuit
4 rounds of 10 (12 min)
B1. Step-up left leg: 95lb
B2. Step-up right leg
B3. Sled push: ~50ft w/ 180lb

EMOM accessory
4 rounds of 15 (12 min)
C1. GHR
C2. Leg extension
C3. Cable pull-through

I originally set out to do 10 rounds of the main strength circuit, but my god is this style tough for lower body movements. I felt pwned by 185lb front squats :laughing:

2 Likes

Finally! I’ve been wanting to see your log for a while!

Tuesday 10.5.21 Chest/back
EMOM Strength Circuit
10 rounds of 6 each (so 30 total min)
A1. Med ball chest pass into wall: 20lb
A2. Bench press: 185lb
A3. Seal row: 185lb

EMOM Accessory Circuit
3 rounds of 10 (12 min)
B1. Wide-grip bench press: 155lb
B2. Neutral-grip chinup: bodyweight only
B3. Pec fly machine
B4. DB pullover: 70lb

Today was first day that felt easy-ish. I think I’m adapting to the lower rest so plan on adding 20lb to bench, squats, pulls next week.

1 Like

Thursday 10.7.21 Legs
EMOM Strength Circuit
6 rounds of 6 (18 min)
A1. Broad jump
A2. Snatch deadlift: 205lb
A3. Power snatch: 95lb lololol!

EMOM assistance circuit
6 rounds of 6 (12 min)
B1. Box jump
B2. Zercher squat: 165lb

EMOM accessory
4 rounds of 12 (12 min)
C1. BB hip thrust: 205lb
C2. Seated calf-raise
C3. Hip abductions
C4. Hip adductions

See, I hit those bodybuilding movements too! :slight_smile: It can be challenging on the ego using such light weights, but it’s helpful to remind myself my goal is work capacity right now. And I can’t remember the last time I felt this good walking out of the gym. I just feel more agile during the week too.

Friday 10.8.21 Bis/tris
EMOM Strength Circuit
10 rounds of 6 each (30 min)
A1. Close-grip plyo pushup off bench
A2. Close-grip bench press: 185lb
A3. Chin-up: bodyweight

EMOM Accessory Circuit
3 rounds of 10 (12 min)
B1. JM Press: 135lb
B2. EZ bar curl: 70lb
B3. Rope pressdown
B4. DB hammer curl: 40lb

There ya go, if any crossfitters are looking how to structure an “arms” day I gotchu!

1 Like

Saturday 10.9.21

Weighed in 192.8lb this morning, down 1.8 from last week! I didn’t change a thing with my diet, just the new training.

Daily macros at:
250 pro
300 carb
100 fat

1 Like

Sunday 10.10.21: Delts/Traps
EMOM Strength Circuit
10 rounds of 5 each (30 min)
A1. Med ball push press throw: 25lb
A2. Push press: 145lb
A3. Snatch high pull: 175lb

EMOM Accessory Circuit
3 rounds of 8 (12 min)
B1. Overhead press: 105lb
B2. Snatch-grip kirk shrug w/ 2 sec squeeze: 135lb
B3. Db lateral raise: 25lb
B4. Battle ropes, alternating arms (20 sec)

1 Like

Monday 10.11.21: Legs
EMOM Strength Circuit
7 rounds of 5 (21 min)
A1. Box jump
A2. Front squat: 205lb
A3. Power clean: 145lb

EMOM assistance circuit
4 rounds of 8 (12 min)
B1. Step-up left leg: 115lb
B2. Step-up right leg
B3. Sled push: ~50ft w/ 195lb

EMOM accessory
4 rounds of 10 (8 min)
C1. GHR: +25lb
C2. HS hack squat: 3 plates per side
(this was harder than I thought!)

Tuesday 10.12.21 Chest/back
EMOM Strength Circuit
10 rounds of 5 each (30 min)
A1. Med ball chest pass into wall: 25lb
A2. Bench press: 205lb
A3. Seal row: 205lb

EMOM Accessory Circuit
3 rounds of 10 (12 min)
B1. Wide-grip bench press: 165lb
B2. Neutral-grip lat pulldown
B3. Cable fly
B4. Inverted row

1 Like

Thursday 10.14.21 Legs
EMOM Strength Circuit
7 rounds of 5 (21 min)
A1. Broad jump
A2. Snatch deadlift: 225lb
A3. Power snatch: 105 lb

EMOM assistance circuit
5 rounds (15 min)
B1. Zercher squat: 5x185lb
B2. Hip abductions: 10 reps
B3. Cable pull-through: 15 reps
This was tough sticking to top of each minute, I was struggling to walk normal into the power rack for my last set.

EMOM accessory
8 rounds of 8 (8 min)
C. BB hip thrust: 225lb
This was also tough. First 4 minutes I was pretty bored and felt like the rest was overkill. But by 7 and 8 my glutes were screaming.

Thursday, my hip-dominant leg day, is definitely the toughest of the 5 with this style of training. As much as my conditioning has improved these two weeks, this one leaves me the most gassed and watching the clock as I start to question why I’m putting myself through this in the last few rounds.

Friday 10.15.21 Bis/tris
EMOM Strength Circuit
10 rounds of 5 (30 min)
A1. Close-grip plyo pushup off bench
A2. Close-grip bench press: 205lb
A3. Chin-up: +20 lb

EMOM Accessory Circuit
3 rounds of 10 (12 min)
B1. Dip
B2. BB curl: 65lb (did em in the squat rack…muahahahahaha!)
B3. Rope pressdown
B4. rope hammer curl
Went too light, but it was still a good pump and got my heart rate up a bit.

Sunday 10.17.21: Delts/Traps
EMOM Strength Circuit
10 rounds of 4 each (30 min)
A1. Med ball push press throw: 25 lb
A2. Push press: 155lb
A3. Snatch high pull: 185lb

EMOM Accessory Circuit
4 rounds of 6 (12 min)
B1. Overhead press: 115lb
B2. Db lateral raise: 30lb
B3. Battle ropes, alternating arms (20 sec)

1 Like

Monday 10.18.21: Legs
EMOM Strength Circuit
8 rounds of 4 (24 min)
A1. Box jump
A2. Front squat: 225lb
A3. Power clean: 155lb

EMOM assistance circuit
6 rounds of 6 (18 min)
B1. Step-up left leg: 135 lb
B2. Step-up right leg
B3. Sled push: ~50ft w/ 180 lb

This workout really grooved. It felt like every front squat I was dropping at least 4in deeper than typical without feeling like my hips needed a longer warmup. I think the jumps and cleans really prime everything for more quality reps. Add in the unforgiving timer and I feel like psychologically my reps are better too, because I don’t have time to ruminate before diving into the next set.

1 Like

Tuesday 10.19.21 Chest/back
EMOM Strength Circuit
A1. Med ball chest pass into wall: 25lb
A2. Bench press: 225 lb
A3. Seal row: 225 lb

EMOM Accessory Circuit
6 rounds of 6 (12 min)
B1. Wide-grip bench press: 185 lb
B2. Neutral-grip pullup

Felt pretty easy throughout even though I added 20 lb to lifts. I’m happy to be adapting to this style. It’s amazing how different 4 reps/minute feels from 6 reps.

1 Like

Thursday 10.21.21 Legs
EMOM Strength Circuit
8 rounds of 4 (24 min)
A1. Broad jump
A2. Snatch deadlift: 245 lb
A3. Power snatch: 115 lb

EMOM assistance circuit
6 rounds of 6 (12 min)
B1. Zercher squat: 185 lb
B2. BB hip thrust: 245 lb
Brutal

EMOM accessory
3 rounds of 30 sec AMRAP/30 sec rest (6 min)
C1. Seated calf raise
C2. Reverse hyper

Reflections from today:

1. I’ll never understand how kids on these forums struggle to hit their protein target. I struggle everyday NOT to go over 250g pro. I swear there’s a little bit in everything!
  2. I’m curious how long I want to roll with this method of training. I may stick to a linear progression where I bump the weight 5-10lb every 4 weeks. It’d be pretty cool if I came anywhere close to my 3RM and was hitting that for the EMOM triples!
2 Likes

Friday 10.22.21 Bis/tris
EMOM Strength Circuit
A1. Close-grip plyo pushup off box
A2. Close-grip bench press: 225 lb
A3. Chin-up: +40 lb

EMOM Accessory Circuit
6 rounds of 12** (12 min)
B1. BB curl: 75 lb (**overestimated here, tapered down reps 12/12/10/10/8/8)
B2. Dip

Today would be the first day of this new circuit training that felt too easy. I think I’ve adapted and will be able to push higher weights real soon. I also may want to throw some more fun exercises into the fold.

1 Like

Sunday 10.24.21: Delts/Traps
EMOM Strength Circuit
10 rounds of 3 each (30 min)
A1. Med ball push press throw: 30 lb
A2. Push press: 170 lb
A3. Snatch high pull: 205 lb

EMOM Assistance Circuit
6 rounds of 5 (12 min)
B1. Overhead press: 120 lb
B2. Battle ropes, alternating arms (20 sec for speed)
The battle ropes FINALLY clicked for me today! The key was closing my eyes and only thinking about the rhythm of my hands and forgetting what the ropes were doing. I feel like there’s a great metaphor for life in here somwhere… I ended up going faster than ever before and holy crap 20 sec was tough!

I decided to jump +15 lb on push press and +20lb on high pulls today instead of 10lb. Today definitely yielded a new sensation. The workout left me feeling like I was buzzing, the high pace mixed with heavier triples was a new stimulus. I swear my last few rounds the first rep of push press felt practically weightless. Next week I will wave back to sets of 6 for the main circuit. For reference, this week for the EMOM triples I’m working in the 75% intensity ballpark.

Reflections from today:

1. It’s interesting to me that every time I leave a little bit of flexibility in my programming I always converge right back to simplicity, i.e. fewest exercises possible.
  2. I may undulate the intensities throughout the week. So instead of doing 6s week 1, 5s week 2, etc I’m thinking maybe something like:

I know it doesn’t seem like much, but since these are at the top of every minute, the difference between 6 reps and 3 reps is pretty huge.

2 Likes