T Nation

The Age-Old Question: Bulk or Cut

Basically it’s going to come down to this: should I bulk or should I cut? And I’ll try to make it concise.

Training age: 10 months
Weight: 197 (from 162, ten months ago)
Height: 6’ 4" (LONG arms)

Maxes:
Squat-225 lb
Deadlift-275 lb
Bench- ~150 lb

I was (and still am) skinny-fat, and that’s something I want to change. I don’t have a particular goal in mind yet, just getting a lot bigger and leaner. I started extremely weak, obviously.

So, I’ve been rapidly gaining weight and I seem to have acquired the sacred bulk belly, which… isn’t to my liking.

Any suggestions as to what I should do? I want to take advantage of being a teenager and being in my prime growing age, but I don’t want to have a huge belly either. I’ve recently added three days of cardio to my routine, hopefully that will help. And I’ll post my diet/routine if any one wants me to.

More pics will be up soon (assuming the first one works).

long hair don’t care

I would start eating more protein/whole foods (meats, poultry, fruits and veggies). Just by cleaning up your diet you should be able to make favorable body compisition changes. However, if I had to pick one, I’d bulk in your position.

No… I don’t look like a woman from behind… that’s your imagination

You’re right–I do try, though. Here’s a typical diet:

5:30
One scoop Grow! Whey
One cup milk
Half cup oatmeal
Cup yogurt
Tablespoon flax seeds
Apple

9:00
24 almonds
4 pieces cheese (20g protein, 24g fat)

12:00
chicken salad from school lunch
2 cups milk
orange

3:30
4 eggs, slice of cheese, 4 slices turkey
1-2 cups milk
tomato

6:30
whatever mom cooks, usually clean food (chicken, beef, rice, beans, vegetables, etc)
1-2 cups milk

9:00
~1.5 cups cottage cheese
1-2 tablespoons flax seeds
1 cup milk

With Surge post-workout on workout days.

Usually between 3,000-4,000 cals/day

Almost all whole milk, except school lunch where all they have is reduced fat.

Lets see…

You’ve gained 35lbs in 10 months, and it is obviously not all fat. And i say that because at 6’4" your going to have to pack on serious mass to look anything but skinny.

You lifts are pretty good for where your at.

I wouldn’t change anything, except maybe eat more, and lift more.

Don’t cut, please don’t cut anything but your hair.

and yes if you ever want to get laid, your going to need a hair cut.

So yeah, i’m with elusive.

Alright sounds good to me, I already know that if I were to cut I’d still be really small. I just won’t concern myself with fat gain until I get a lot stronger, probably a year or more from now.

“should i bulk or cut?” is only an ‘age-old’ question if the age we’re talking about is 16.

Haha, yeah you’re probably right. I guess the whole “being big isn’t cool, having abs is!” mindset that I’m surrounded by is a big part of it. I’d rather be big, with abs, later.

Dont cut. build that muscle first

with your age and time training, i guess that by getting in more calories with a clean diet your body can gain muscle and loose fat at the same time. I think that you should only change your diet to see some results

I just plugged in my typical daily food into fitday.com and ended up with almost 4,500 calories (31% protein, 42% fat, 26% carbs), so that would explain why I’ve been gaining the fat. The cardio I recently added should help with that, though. I’d rather do the cardio and eat more (who knows, maybe I can take advantage of g-flux).

[quote]paradox321 wrote:
Haha, yeah you’re probably right. I guess the whole “being big isn’t cool, having abs is!” mindset that I’m surrounded by is a big part of it. I’d rather be big, with abs, later.[/quote]

You are a smart kid. Just say no to abs for a few years. Eat well, monitor your progress and lift progressively heavier shit.

Good luck!

Thanks! And will do, it’ll be worth it.

[quote]boyscout wrote:
paradox321 wrote:
Haha, yeah you’re probably right. I guess the whole “being big isn’t cool, having abs is!” mindset that I’m surrounded by is a big part of it. I’d rather be big, with abs, later.

You are a smart kid. Just say no to abs for a few years. Eat well, monitor your progress and lift progressively heavier shit.

Good luck![/quote]

“Just Say No to Abs”

I Love it…

it should be pretty easy at your age (ive done it at 16) to add muscle while loosing some of that “gut” what i did was eat alot of meat and protein as well as veggies and bread, cut out junk food and did a higher rep scheme about 10-15 all compound and pretty much only babrbell exercises 4-5 sets on everything just hitting biggest muscles i could with like 4 sets for bis if i need it, then add in some cardio and that will help eat more and burn some fat
gl

Do you think ws4sb would be a good idea, with cardio three times a week on the off days?

Or should I stick to something simpler like Starting Strength? Maybe altered to have higher reps?

I think you should start training with a 3-4 way split

Don’t be afraid to train like a bodybuilder if that is really your goal (obviously don’t train like a PRO right now)

ws4sb and starting strength are generalized programs built on the BARE essentials of strength training. In my opinion for most people they just aren’t ideal for bodybuilding because they’re too minimal.

For the last month or so I’ve been doing 3x8 of these exercises (ignore the rep scheme next to the exercises):

How does this split look?

Monday
Tuesday Back, Biceps, Abs
Wednesday
Thursday Chest, Triceps, Abs
Friday
Saturday Legs, Shoulders, Abs
Sunday Rest

Chest, Triceps, Abs

Bench Press 3 x 6-12reps 60 second rest between sets.
Cable Flys 3 x 6-12reps 60 second rest between sets.
Dips/Decline BP 3 sets 60 second rest between sets.
Cable Pushdowns 3 x 6-12reps 60 second rest between sets.
Incline Bench Press 3 sets 60 second rest between sets.
Crunches 3 sets 60 second rest between sets.

Back, Biceps, Abs

Bent over rows 3 x 6-12reps 60 second rest between sets.
Chin Ups 3 x 6-12reps 60 second rest between sets.
Upright rows 3 x 6-12reps 60 second rest between sets.
Preacher Curls 3 x 6-12reps 60 second rest between sets.
Deadlifts 3 x 6-12reps 60 second rest between sets.
Crunches 3 sets 60 second rest between sets.

Shoulders, Legs, Abs

Military Press 3 x 6-12reps 60 second rest between sets.
Calf Raises 3 x 6-12reps 60 second rest between sets.
Lateral Raises 3 x 6-12reps 60 second rest between sets.
Squats 3 x 6-12reps 60 second rest between sets.
Crunches 3 x 6-12reps 60 second rest between sets.
Lunges 3 x 6-12reps 60 second rest between sets.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
I think you should start training with a 3-4 way split

Don’t be afraid to train like a bodybuilder if that is really your goal (obviously don’t train like a PRO right now)

ws4sb and starting strength are generalized programs built on the BARE essentials of strength training. In my opinion for most people they just aren’t ideal for bodybuilding because they’re too minimal.[/quote]

Good point.

I’m doing a push/pull/legs split right now, and it’s working well to get me stronger and put some muscle on. My goals are purely strength oriented at the moment (which weight gain being secondary), and “training like a bodybuilder” works well, if not better than what I was doing before (upper/lower).