T Nation

The Advantage of Being Young

Hi,
Now that I am a lot more aware of many aspects of nutrition and training I just
can’t believe how easy is for teenagers to put on lean mass…

I say this because I remember ME when I was 18.
I was a swimmer,swam intensly 4 times a week (for one year). I had a crappy diet,I dind’t eat much and most of my food was poor.
Mostly carbs and way too many ice creams…
Now I see myself in the mirror and even if 11 years passed (I’m 29) I still have the lats typical of the swimmers.
They might have shrinked a bit but I still have them.

I can’t fucking believe I grew muscle without any WL at all and with a bad diet.
I guess it was beacause I was 18,a lot of testosterone…I don’t know.

[quote]Horazio wrote:
Hi,
Now that I am a lot more aware of many aspects of nutrition and training I just
can’t believe how easy is for teenagers to put on lean mass…

I say this because I remember ME when I was 18.
I was a swimmer,swam intensly 4 times a week (for one year). I had a crappy diet,I dind’t eat much and most of my food was poor.
Mostly carbs and way too many ice creams…
Now I see myself in the mirror and even if 11 years passed (I’m 29) I still have the lats typical of the swimmers.
They might have shrinked a bit but I still have them.

I can’t fucking believe I grew muscle without any WL at all and with a bad diet.
I guess it was beacause I was 18,a lot of testosterone…I don’t know.

[/quote]

…uh…ok…

On a similar note, I went canoeing for a week in Canada when I was 15…came back with pretty decent shoulders, and I never lost them even thought I didn’t lift for ~3 years after that.

We should have started lifting back then…Now to put on an ounce of muscle I must beg all Deyties in the universe.

I’m 18 and I started training somewhat seriously this year, still pretty bad diet but I have progressed much faster then people older then me in the gym in terms of lifting numbers and figure. Its awesome I just have alot more intensity since im younge and can put on muscle so much easier then older guys.

Ya, being young is cool. Short to instant recovery anybody? Oh ya. The weightlifting thing is cool too I guess… :stuck_out_tongue:

All of you guys here are OLD!! Im 13, and I focus on the big lifts, cant remember the last time I had fries, cake, ice cream or pizza. I havent had a soda in more then a year. Hopefully it pays off in a few years.

Sure, being young is good. But I’ve made much, much better gains after age 30 than when I was lifting in college at age 20. Working hard when lifting and eating is apparently much more important than youth, having a coach and a proper gym.