The Absolute Best Mass Workout?

Im gonna play devil’s advocate here, but many of you seem to think that ABBH was written to do the “opposite” of what a bodybuilding routine should do, when in fact, it was named the way it was because it goes against traditional dogma, such as doing 3-4 sets of 8-12, working a body part once a week etc.

Its still meant to add muscle, which is the name of the game in bodybuilding.

What Sentoguy said. Adding weight to the bar or more reps to a weight you did last time is the greatest program on the planet.

Once you get the training part done, its all about the calories, again to second Sentoguy, no program will ever work if your haven’t got enough calories in your diet to facilitate growth.

It depends a lot on your level of experience, and your own body, but in general a body part split with a higher frequency of muscles hit per week (1.5-2x) would be best for mass as long as you were eating enough protein and calories.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
It depends a lot on your level of experience, and your own body, but in general a body part split with a higher frequency of muscles hit per week (1.5-2x) would be best for mass as long as you were eating enough protein and calories.[/quote]

x2. And none of that fluffy crap either. Working the muscles hard and heavy with squats, deadlifts, presses, rows, etc.

[quote]thephantom wrote:
mr popular wrote:
It depends a lot on your level of experience, and your own body, but in general a body part split with a higher frequency of muscles hit per week (1.5-2x) would be best for mass as long as you were eating enough protein and calories.

x2. And none of that fluffy crap either. Working the muscles hard and heavy with squats, deadlifts, presses, rows, etc. [/quote]

If by “etc.” you mean a myriad of other exercises such as curls, calf raises, lateral raises, leg curls, and so forth, then yes.

Man check out your thread OTS Big Beyond Belief. Lots of muscle stimulation and a workout that’ll bust your balls. That’s if you got the heart to do the prescribed workouts with 100% intensity.

[quote]trextacy wrote:
probably one of the best articles you will ever read as far as fundamentals of bodybuilding and program design (w/ a couple of sample splits):

A Training Philosophy For Solid Mass Gain [/quote]

Great article.

I don’t think it can be emphasised enough that there is no such thing as “The Best Mass Workout”. With the exception of a few blatantly imbecilic offerings, any well-known program is going to be as efficient as you are devoted to it(read “passionate and persistent”). If a program has you lifting progressively heavier shit on a regular basis, all that remains is to get the nutrients in and mass will follow.

I should repeat that I don’t think such a thing as the best mass builder exists, although programs of the inane class are in no short supply.

Get as strong as you can in the 6-12 rep range on the following lifts:

• Squats
  • Leg Press
  • Bench
  • Shoulder press
  • Dips
  • Rows
  • Pulldowns
  • Curls

There are probably a few others I’ve left out. The point is: get as strong on the bigger lifts as possible. Use dumbbells, barbells, and machines with the goal of adding weight or reps every workout.

That’s your training program for the next 2 years. Go.

I put the most ‘mass’ on while doing one bodypart per day.

[quote]ddinante wrote:
I don’t think it can be emphasised enough that there is no such thing as “The Best Mass Workout”. With the exception of a few blatantly imbecilic offerings, any well-known program is going to be as efficient as you are devoted to it(read “passionate and persistent”). If a program has you lifting progressively heavier shit on a regular basis, all that remains is to get the nutrients in and mass will follow.

I should repeat that I don’t think such a thing as the best mass builder exists, although programs of the inane class are in no short supply.[/quote]

Couldn’t agree more. I’m still an absolute beginner, but I have learned that consistency is the most important thing. The last time I tried to add some serious size I was chopping and changing my routine whenever something new and shiny appeared and I got nowhere. I was also constantly changing my diet- one month it was the anabolic diet, next month I was intermittent fasting etc.

This time around I spent a bit of cash on a training book that suited my goals, read a load of articles from the staple authors (mainly Thib and Berardi to be honest) and just got on with it. I stick to Massive Eating principles, which aren’t that dissimilar to carb cycling, and I get in the gym and do exactly what my program tells me to do. The results I have had compared to last time have been amazing. I honestly reckon that consistency is 99% of the battle. Maybe ABBH isn’t right for you, but pick one routine and stick to it.

Fork and spoon curls.

10 hours sleep