The Abortion Thread

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
OK, Sloth, here I am. Instead of derailing the other thread, let’s keep it here where it belongs. What would you like to know about my position on abortion? Here’s a few things to get us started:

-I am PERSONALLY against abortion. I am a successful male in my late 30’s and have two wonderful children - both boys. If I were to “plant another seed”, I’m sure that I could raise the third one up to be a fine upstanding citizen. I would have no reason, excuse or wish to abort any baby that I create. I’ve got great genes and I make strong, intelligent, healthy kids with good immune systems.

I view my children as my greatest asset and contribution to the world. I strive every day to educate them, mold them, and give them all the tools that I believe will make them successful good men with integrity. While I am not actively PLANNING on having more children, and I am OCD with my practice of protecting my seed, I understand that being sexually active makes pregnancy a possibility.

I accept the remote chance that I could impregnate a woman. To mitigate that risk, I have chosen to a) be very selective about the quality of women who I have sex with and b)if it happens, remain positive, supportive and involved.

-I also know that not everyone is in MY position or shares MY beliefs. They may have reasons to NOT want children. I may not agree with all of their reasons, but I choose to ACCEPT their individual sovereignty and will respect what ever decision they may feel is appropriate for THEIR life and THEIR goals.

-I am pro adoption. I think that there are plenty of people that cant have kids (or who want more kids) and would love to adopt BABIES. I also think GAY couples who obviously can’t have kids should have the exact same rights and ability to adopt kids as straight couples.

I also think gay couples should have the right to a civil union that grants them the same GOVERNMENT CONTROLLED rights and responsibilities as married couples - this has NOTHING to do with religion. But that’s a topic for another thread.

-I don’t believe abortion should be used haphazardly. I think the morning after pill should be widely available and I think that birth control pills, condoms and other forms of birth control should be widely available.

-I believe that EVERY opportunity should be given to a woman to avoid getting pregnant in the first place, including abstinence education AS WELL AS honest sexual education and hands on instruction on the proper use of contraceptives.

-I believe that the urge to have sex and procreate is the second strongest instinct that humans are wired for (right behind survival). I believe it is the height of ignorance to think that an abstinence only approach will even be marginally effective in preventing unwanted pregnancy. PEOPLE WILL FUCK, ACCEPT IT.

-I believe in evolution, survival of the fittest, sexual selection and do NOT hold an ideal that “LIFE” is “sacred”. LIFE happens. In the real world all manner of organisms are born and die. Some die quickly, some reach their “design limit”. Some species EAT their children (or the children of their competition) for various reasons. Some lay 100 eggs and expect only one or two to reach adulthood. Death happens. Infanticide happens. It is all a part of natural selection. Humans are not above natural selection.

-I believe that this concept that EVERY SEED is sacred is nothing but religious nonsense perpetuated by the Catholic church to breed more Catholics so that they can give 10% of their money. If Catholics truly believed that all life were sacred, then they never would have sponsored the Crusades and slaughtered millions of people in the name of GOD. A pro-Life position based on religion is pure hypocrisy. [/quote]

So you’re pro-choice (legalized abortion).[/quote]

Well, in the same way that someone who thinks that criminalizing suicide/weed smoking/prostitution is a bad idea, necessarily is for all of these things.

There is now way, NO WAY!!!11!, that someone could come to the conclusion that making it illegal and the enforcement of such laws could do more harm than the act itself.

No, they are all rather simple simpletons and of course lying liars. [/quote]

In the case of abortion, they most certainly are. See, there is a guaranteed death with each abortion. Now, you’re free to say such a thing isn’t true with smoking pot. But it damn sure is the case with abortion.
[/quote]

As you should be-

You are just too damn sure when something rather nebulous like “human life” changes into “person”.

And, in the case of driving licenses, alcohol consumption, consensual sex with adults and whatnot we must deal with the desperate attempt to define a cutoff point for something that is essentially a biological continuum.

In a lot of other areas you would sign that in a heartbeat.

In this, you dont, just because you are more attached to it than most.