T Nation

The 70 & 30 Rule

After teaching for many (too many?) years, I've come up with this general rule, and want to know what others think of it, under the anonimity of the Web:

About 70% of people will lack a certain characteristic, while 30% will have it, or vice versa. For ex, 70% of people are so stupid as to be almost dysfunctional while the other 30% are capable and intelligent. About 70% of the people you meet are absolutely insane while 30% are basically rational. About 70% of any group (like Congress) will be criminals, while 30% will be honest. About 70% of women are sluts, and 70% of men have the morals of an alley cat.

It seems odd that 50/50 would NOT be the rule.

Thoughts, anyone?

but some are born psychotic(don't think of the guy banging his head against the wall...moreso the cunning lawyer type) and some are born saintly( think of the selfless people here)

they fight each other for the control over the ni-betweens

the people are not stupid, just unable to clear up the propaganda set out by the two sides

ever wonder why a remote village that lives in harmony can exist? with every functioning optimally? its because there's no power struggle involved

Like everything else isn't it 80/20

And 70% of fathers will buy a dildo for their daughter at 12 years old.

Yikes! My daughter is only 8! Are you telling me there's a 70% chance that I'll buy her a vibrator (not a dildo) when she's 12? I can state right now it'll never happen. Guess I'll be in the 30% bunch and you'll have to balance things out by being in the 70% group.

OMG.... LMFAO!
I've got tears in my eyes laughing so hard!

LOL

I thought that would tickle someone :stuck_out_tongue:

How thought provoking.

You could dissect this topic a thousand ways, but the very first thought that came into my mind was education. Interestingly enough, I found that as of 2008, 29.4% of Americans of every race held at least a Bachelorâ??s degree. That is damn close to your 30% capable & intelligent rule.

This of course, is arguable as is everything. However, the number is the number. The point is that there is something to be said about the educational experience of college life that contributes toward progress in adulthood.

The fact is that 70% of the population does not experience this part of life, and therefore will not progress physically, mentally, or spiritually.

As for the two extremes: the ghetto & congress

Iâ??m afraid there are more similarities than differences. I think the two main common themes are money and self-interest. Under those two categories all else follows such as the struggle for survival & power, self promotion, greed, hostility, violence, ETC.

What are the main differences? How about an elite education vs. a high school drop out, or a tailored suit vs. Dickies and a tank top? Thatâ??s about it folks.

So what is one to conclude from all of this? I say you still have to segregate a small percentage of those who have aspired to earn a Bachelorâ??s degree for the miscreants of the populous.

What you are left with, and Iâ??m guessing, is about 25% of the population that you could actually have an adult conversation with. Anyway, thatâ??s my two cents. To sum it all upâ?¦

From the movie: â??Sevenâ??

SOMERSET: "What sick, ridiculous, puppets we are, and what a gross, little stage we dance on. What fun we have, dancing and fucking, not a care in the world. Not knowing that we are nothing. We are not what was intended."

"On the subway today, a man came to me to start a conversation. He made small talk, this lonely man, talking about the weather and other things. I tried to be pleasant and accommodating, but my head began to hurt from his banality. I almost didn't notice it had happened, but I suddenly threw up all over him. He was not pleased, and I couldn't help laughing."

http://www.generationterrorists.com/quotes/se7en.

jeffreyhoelzel just got punk'd by HeadHunter.

I offer this shaved pussy to distract from the shame.

God what a fugly pussy! I hope it doesn't stink!

right there ... i see what you did

Interesting indeed.

I really enjoy principles that can be applied to groups/organizations. 70/30 sounds about right.

I once worked in a sales unit of roughly 40 people. About 10 had the right "stuff" to succeed.

I would think that we would have to define what's smart, stupid, dysfunctional, insane, sluts, etc.

Am I over-thinking this?

I don't think the 70/30 rule would apply to members of Congress. It's probably more like 95/5.

Think about your post, and tell me which percentage you belong in for intelligence. Understand that if your in the intelligent category everything you said would be right, and if your in the stupid one everything you said will be wrong. Maybe you should use an example to help you out. Let's try um.... what percentage of the world is left handed? If it's 70/30 your intelligent, if it's not your a moron

Lol, you beat me to it.

"The study published in the journal Economics and Human Biology showed that tall people reported more enjoyment of life and less pain and sadness. Taller men also said they worry less though they are more likely to experience stress and anger than people of average height, said researchers led by Angus Deaton from Princeton University in New Jersey.

The findings support a hypothesis put forth in 2008 that tall people are more likely than shorter people to have reached their full cognitive potential, the researchers said. Poor nutrition and childhood diseases may stunt growth and limit mental development in some cases, they said.

â??There is good evidence that cognitive and physical function develop together,â?? the researchers said. â??It is this lack of full cognitive development that accounts for lower levels of education, and lower earnings in adulthood which, in turn, are almost entirely responsible for lower levels of life evaluation, and poorer emotional outcomes.â??

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601124&sid=aErF0kWDAMVw

The top 30% of men are about what we'd consider 'tall'.

70% of statistics are made up........

Score 1 for lanky!

Although, I don't get how tall people can worry less but still experience more stress. Aren't the two (pretty much) one and the same?