The 59fifty Thread

[quote]CLINK wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]CLINK wrote:
Dan Green’s awesome, but all you wanna do is talk about a head covering?[/quote]
We’ve already discussed his lifting all over the place dude…[/quote]

Hey, Csulli! How’s it hangin’?[/quote]
low man, always low

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
I prefer my hats to look worn and raggedy. The 59fifty hats never fit me right and look huge on my dome. I like to throw my baseball hats in the washing machine for the extra worn and crappy look[/quote]

That is one con of the style of hat that it is. You can shrink the crown a bit though. Most people say to just turn it over, collect some hot water in the crown area and then let the water drain out. Put it on your head and let it dry. That should shrink the crown down a bit.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
Can someone give me an explanation of what exactly a New Era cap is, and why someone would wear one? I don’t have a single friend who would be caught dead wearing one of these, based on what I’m seeing on their website.[/quote]

Basically it is a fitted cap with a high crown and a wider bill.

Fitted = No strap, snaps, or stretchy stuff. One size fits that size.

High crown = the front of the cap that usually has the logo on it his built to be larger so you can wear the hat lower to get rid of the sun. This allows the hat to shrink up a bit as well.

Wider bill = more sun blocked out of the persons vision.

Small things about the hat are better as well. The underside of the bill is black to help cut down on glare (like eye black does for football players), and the sweat band is made to be absorbent so it functions like a sweat band (which looks stupid on most people in my opinion.

The construction quality is pretty good from what I can tell. I wear the same hat almost every day and other than some loose threads on the embroidered logo (another nice feature) the cap is still structurally in-tact.

I spare it from no abuse either. It has been stuffed in duffle bags for a couple days at a time, covered in chalk from lifting, worn in the rain for extended periods of time, rubbed up against chain link fences from trying to see at sporting events, and had small children play tug of war with it.

As for how it looks, that is mostly due to how someone fits and wears their hat.

Most baseball players wear them to fit like a normal cap, and bend the bill. All professional baseball/football players wear a New Era cap on field. Most of them are the “douchey flat brim hats.” They are just fitted on the player differently.

I, like most people, fit two sizes.

My larger hats are very comfortable, but I don’t bend the brims on them too much. I do the flat brim look with those until they break in to fit my head. The large hat will rub on my ears a bit until it breaks in. I will tuck one ear to get rid of that feeling. (No I don’t take my looks that seriously. I also have a bright orange John Cena t-shirt that I wear regularly. You gotta loosen up and have fun every now and then.)

My smaller hats fit perfectly for a normal baseball cap, and make up all but two of my hats. For those I wrap the bill around an ice cold can of beer with a ton of rubber bands around it and let it sit over night. If I don’t do this, the hat will literally press on the front of my head so much that it will give me a headache, and I will have to continually shape it in my hands. Remove the rubber bands, put the hat on your head, and crack the beer.

These are always the questions I get when people see that I wear a hat most of the time. It really depends on how you wear them, and they can be uncomfortable to break in. Once you break it in though, it is possibly the most comfortable hat I have ever worn.

Some of them I like to get dirty as hell through use over time, some I keep clean and like new. Hell I have a 2013 Pirates Playoffs cap that I think has been on my head three times since I bought it. Igot it on sale for like 10 bucs. (see what I did there?)

It’s about snapbacks now.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
Can someone give me an explanation of what exactly a New Era cap is, and why someone would wear one? I don’t have a single friend who would be caught dead wearing one of these, based on what I’m seeing on their website.[/quote]

Obviously you would wear one if you wanna look pretty fly, for a white guy.

No, I would never wear one of those hats.

[quote]SuperAlienFreak wrote:
I’m wearing one as I write this lol, I’ve got a few, hat probably lasts a few months, I don’t bother washing them I just throw them away when they start to smell. I normally wear one less often to keep it clean, for when I need to look extra fly…lol[/quote]

I guess we are the less manly bunch of t-mag readers.

I have five different new era 59 fifty hats and they all are San Diego Padres ones. Just different colors from different eras. My favorite is the throwback one that is brown and gold. I don’t wear my hats backwards.

[quote]trivium wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

High crown = the front of the cap that usually has the logo on it his built to be larger so you can wear the hat lower to get rid of the sun. This allows the hat to shrink up a bit as well.

Small things about the hat are better as well. The underside of the bill is black to help cut down on glare (like eye black does for football players), and the sweat band is made to be absorbent so it functions like a sweat band (which looks stupid on most people in my opinion.

The construction quality is pretty good from what I can tell. I wear the same hat almost every day and other than some loose threads on the embroidered logo (another nice feature) the cap is still structurally in-tact.

I spare it from no abuse either. It has been stuffed in duffle bags for a couple days at a time, covered in chalk from lifting, worn in the rain for extended periods of time, rubbed up against chain link fences from trying to see at sporting events, and had small children play tug of war with it.

As for how it looks, that is mostly due to how someone fits and wears their hat.

Most baseball players wear them to fit like a normal cap, and bend the bill. All professional baseball/football players wear a New Era cap on field. Most of them are the “douchey flat brim hats.” They are just fitted on the player differently.

My larger hats are very comfortable, but I don’t bend the brims on them too much. I do the flat brim look with those until they break in to fit my head. The large hat will rub on my ears a bit until it breaks in. I will tuck one ear to get rid of that feeling. (No I don’t take my looks that seriously. I also have a bright orange John Cena t-shirt that I wear regularly. You gotta loosen up and have fun every now and then.)

My smaller hats fit perfectly for a normal baseball cap, and make up all but two of my hats. For those I wrap the bill around an ice cold can of beer with a ton of rubber bands around it and let it sit over night. If I don’t do this, the hat will literally press on the front of my head so much that it will give me a headache, and I will have to continually shape it in my hands. Remove the rubber bands, put the hat on your head, and crack the beer.

These are always the questions I get when people see that I wear a hat most of the time. It really depends on how you wear them, and they can be uncomfortable to break in. Once you break it in though, it is possibly the most comfortable hat I have ever worn.

Some of them I like to get dirty as hell through use over time, some I keep clean and like new. Hell I have a 2013 Pirates Playoffs cap that I think has been on my head three times since I bought it. Igot it on sale for like 10 bucs. (see what I did there?)[/quote]

Are you saying that I can bend my flat bill Pats New Era cap and it’ll look like a normal cap with arched bill?

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

Some of them I like to get dirty as hell through use over time, some I keep clean and like new. Hell I have a 2013 Pirates Playoffs cap that I think has been on my head three times since I bought it. Igot it on sale for like 10 bucs. (see what I did there?)[/quote]

Are you saying that I can bend my flat bill Pats New Era cap and it’ll look like a normal cap with arched bill?[/quote]

Science has proved it.

[quote]strungoutboy21 wrote:
I have five different new era 59 fifty hats and they all are San Diego Padres ones. Just different colors from different eras. My favorite is the throwback one that is brown and gold. I don’t wear my hats backwards.[/quote]

How do you clean them?

[quote]trivium wrote:

I have five different new era 59 fifty hats and they all are San Diego Padres ones. Just different colors from different eras. My favorite is the throwback one that is brown and gold. I don’t wear my hats backwards.[/quote]

How do you clean them?[/quote]
Haha, I don’t. One of them has absorbed so much sweat, haha. The others are relatively pretty clean. I don’t wear those ones doing any sweaty type of activities.

The one in the middle is the sweaty misshapen one.

[quote]trivium wrote:

Haha, I don’t. One of them has absorbed so much sweat, haha. The others are relatively pretty clean. I don’t wear those ones doing any sweaty type of activities.

The one in the middle is the sweaty misshapen one.[/quote]

Do you bend the bill?

[quote]trivium wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:

The one in the middle is the sweaty misshapen one.[/quote]

Do you bend the bill?[/quote]
Yes, they all have a slight bend. I ain’t no flatbiller! Haha. No stickers on them either.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Haha that’s awesome.

I hate when people leave the tags on them. I think the reason they do it is silly.

your fashion choice makes you a BETA bro