T Nation

The 5/3/1 Program For Neurotype 1A

Hello, coach.
Сould you clarify one point.

In your article (https://www.t-nation.com/training/unlock-natural-gains-neuro-type-1), you say “Type 1 lifters need a lot of variation in their training. They’re your typical” I can’t follow a program "guys. They always want to try something new. If you put them on programs like 5/3/1 or The Power Look (programs based around doing the same stuff over and over) they’ll get de-motivated and won’t get results. "
So the 5/3/1 program is not the best choice for 1A, isn’t it?

But in the second part of your Neurotypes course, you give an example that the 5/3/1 program is a great option for 1A%
“But 4 exercises is normally the starting formula for the type 1A. I know it’s not a lot, but look at traditional, perfect 1A program, Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1.”

I’m a little confused. Perhaps this is due to my English, as it is not my native language.
Thank you.

The article was written at the very beginning of me developing the system, I rushed its publication (I might get into it later) but a lot have changed the more I understood brain chemistry. 1A in fact, don’t need a lot of variation as long as they are progressing and feel like they can still improve.

531 is actually the prototypical 1A program

1 Like

Coach,

At the very end of this article (https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/the-neuro-type-workouts) you gave a few pointers for mixed types:

1. A mixed Type 1 and Type 2. In this case, train like a Type 2A but with a slightly lower amount of volume.
2. A mixed Type 2 and Type 3 Train like a Type 2B but with only 4 training days per week.

Do you still agree with this statement or has your opinion on that changed due to new revelations?

Would you advice the same protocol from a nutritional standpoint as well (e.g. train like a type 2 but eat like a type 3)?

In the nutrition course you give solid info for each neurotype but you don’t adress mixed types.

Thank you.
But 5/3/1 with its principles: repeatability, slow progress, attention to technique, long-term approach is still a good choice for type 3?