T Nation

The 300+ Bench Goal

Firstly sorry if this is in the wrong section, I couldn’t decide so I used my best judgment.

My goal is to attain a 300lb bench, I have never done it before and it seems like a reasonable goal for a guy my size.

Stats: 5’11 - 240lbs

I am a heavy guy, yes, and I can lift good weight along with it, but not GREAT weight.

My routine on 7/2/08
7/2 - FLAT BENCH - 5x135, 5x135, 5x185, 5x190, 4x190, 1x215, 1x225(FAILED)

My routine on 9/3/08
9/3 - FLAT BENCH - 10x135, 5x185, 5x185, 2x225, 2x225, 1x235, 1x245, 1x250

I’ve been steadily hitting the gym 5x a week and I feel a lot healthier and definitely a lot stronger, I have more definition in my Trapezoids, Pectoral, and Arms(In general).

I do have pre-workout supplements that I take (I wont list them because they are not Biotest)

And I do have post-workout supplements as well, protein+glutamine. I try to get 1.5g of protien per lb but it’s not exactly easy at my weight level.

Any tips on increasing the bench press would be greatly appreciated.

If you’ve already put 25lbs on your bench in 2 months, continue to do what you are doing.

I was right around 265-270 for my 1rm before the season, and after a shoulder injury and not lifting as consistently, I’m sure it’s down from that. After the season, 300 on bench is among my goals to reach.

[quote] Matt wrote:
If you’ve already put 25lbs on your bench in 2 months, continue to do what you are doing.[/quote]

I took that into consideration too. I think I have made considerable gains in the past two months. But I also know the body is VERY adaptable and I admittedly have followed the same routine.

Is there a way to shock the system again and continue my gains? Maybe doing regular drop sets? (Starting at highest weight and moving to lowest) - Will doing this ‘Shock’ my system allow me to continue.

Thanks,
-Josh

I too have 315 bench as a lifetime goal. Along with a 405 squat and 500lb dead. Shoot for the moon…

hit 325 today, very clean rep or so the spotter said.

The biggest things that changed for me

1. more triceps work, this included some board work and close grip work.

2. BENT OVER ROWS. seriously, as soon as I drop bent over rows, my form starts to slack on the bench press. theres just something about stabilizing a weight plus rowing it that allows you to bench more.

3. form, see some powerlifters and their arch? yea practice that arc, and its not totally about having a smaller range of motion, it also about being totally tight and stable.

hit 355 before but havent gone heavy in a while for fear of injury but have started benching 315 for about three reps…you guys have any tips for getting into the 400 lbs bench press cub?info: 6’2 245lbs

Can you tell me how you got more definition in your trapezoids? That sounds like just what I’m looking for.

[quote]Ryan P. McCarter wrote:
Can you tell me how you got more definition in your trapezoids? That sounds like just what I’m looking for.[/quote]

Well you have to train your deltards too or you’re just gonna be all bulky and unproportional.

[quote]gangstpmp3 wrote:
hit 355 before but havent gone heavy in a while for fear of injury but have started benching 315 for about three reps…you guys have any tips for getting into the 400 lbs bench press cub?info: 6’2 245lbs [/quote]

Work on your reps with 315 until you have 10, then work on your reps with 350 until you have 6, then work on your reps with 375 until you have 3, then you will have 405. Make sure every bench workout your smashing your weak link in your bench and then following it up with work for all the other benching muscles. Gain more weight, improve your form, pre workout stimulants/music/good spotter who gives good lift offs etc.

[quote]MustangPB wrote:
Firstly sorry if this is in the wrong section, I couldn’t decide so I used my best judgment.

My goal is to attain a 300lb bench, I have never done it before and it seems like a reasonable goal for a guy my size.

I am a heavy guy, yes, and I can lift good weight along with it, but not GREAT weight.

My routine on 7/2/08

My routine on 9/3/08

I’ve been steadily hitting the gym 5x a week and I feel a lot healthier and definitely a lot stronger, I have more definition in my Trapezoids, Pectoral, and Arms(In general).

I do have pre-workout supplements that I take (I wont list them because they are not Biotest)

And I do have post-workout supplements as well, protein+glutamine. I try to get 1.5g of protien per lb but it’s not exactly easy at my weight level.

Any tips on increasing the bench press would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

work on your reps with 225 until you have 10, then 255 until you have 5-6 then 275 until you have 3-4, and then you will have 300.

Hit delts hard, triceps hard, lats and upper back hard. And try to find a exercise that hits your sticking point (board presses, floor presses, etc) and do that.

When you get stale on a delt or tricep exercise (no strength gain) switch exercises to a different variation and start over. Just keep doing that until you get where you want to do

Exampe of shoulder exercises you might switch to
Dumbell shoulder press
military press
behind the neck press
pushpress

triceps:
close grip
close grip decline
close grip board press
dips

Change your form to something more powerlifting oriented, arch, shoulder blades back, stronger bench grip for you etc. Learn to touch the bar in the same spot every time you bench and to lock it out in the same spot and focus on speed rather than just slow controlled brute force benching.

[quote]Mega Newb wrote:

work on your reps with 225 until you have 10, then 255 until you have 5-6 then 275 until you have 3-4, and then you will have 300.

Hit delts hard, triceps hard, lats and upper back hard. And try to find a exercise that hits your sticking point (board presses, floor presses, etc) and do that.

When you get stale on a delt or tricep exercise (no strength gain) switch exercises to a different variation and start over. Just keep doing that until you get where you want to do

Dumbell shoulder press
military press
behind the neck press
pushpress

triceps:
close grip
close grip decline
close grip board press
dips

[/quote]

You put it nice and simple, so you don’t go with the:

1 heavy day- Max effort work,
1 speed day/ rep work

At the end of the day, it’s all about going hard, and been consistent though isn’t it.

[quote]Mega Newb wrote:
gangstpmp3 wrote:
hit 355 before but havent gone heavy in a while for fear of injury but have started benching 315 for about three reps…you guys have any tips for getting into the 400 lbs bench press cub?info: 6’2 245lbs

Work on your reps with 315 until you have 10, then work on your reps with 350 until you have 6, then work on your reps with 375 until you have 3, then you will have 405.

Make sure every bench workout your smashing your weak link in your bench and then following it up with work for all the other benching muscles. Gain more weight, improve your form, pre workout stimulants/music/good spotter who gives good lift offs etc.

[/quote]

thanks will do

[quote]Mega Newb wrote:
MustangPB wrote:

My routine on 7/2/08

My routine on 9/3/08

Dumbell shoulder press
military press
behind the neck press
pushpress

triceps:
close grip
close grip decline
close grip board press
dips

Change your form to something more powerlifting oriented, arch, shoulder blades back, stronger bench grip for you etc. Learn to touch the bar in the same spot every time you bench and to lock it out in the same spot and focus on speed rather than just slow controlled brute force benching.

[/quote]

That is really good advice.

My form is something I take pride in; I had a bench press coach critique my form until I could do it without fail. Shoulders ‘cocked’ and feet tucked in.

A follow up question: At this point I know I can’t rep 225 for than 3 times without failing, should I not put anym more weight on until I can? Stay at 225lbs until I can rep it an appropriate amount of times? I mean 2 months ago I couldn’t rep it once, now I can go 3, MAYBE 4 times.

It’s all about progress!

[quote]OooahhhCANTONA wrote:
Mega Newb wrote:

Dumbell shoulder press
military press
behind the neck press
pushpress

triceps:
close grip
close grip decline
close grip board press
dips

You put it nice and simple, so you don’t go with the:

1 heavy day- Max effort work,
1 speed day/ rep work

At the end of the day, it’s all about going hard, and been consistent though isn’t it.

[/quote]

Well hard training is a large part of it, but you have to know when to change things up. If you dont make gains for a months at a time it doesnt matter how hard you train. You need to change something. Thats why I recomend switching around assitance work.

I put it very simple but it is actually many many different programs mixed together.

1.changing assistance work when ever it stops working is from westside.

2.working on reps is rom dog crap training and max OT training

3.Going from 315-350-375 is just a variation of periodization and peaking programs

4.sticking point work is from westside/a ton of other different places.

You could probably even take it a step further with that program and make the assistance work 5x5, and the bench work 1 set to failure. Then it would really be a ton of programs added together.

I think westside should only be used once you have milked all the other simpler programs. And got very good at reps. I personally would like to bench 455x10-500x10 (I bounce and dont lockout) before I start westside to get good at maxing.

[quote]MustangPB wrote:
Mega Newb wrote:
MustangPB wrote:

My routine on 7/2/08

My routine on 9/3/08

Dumbell shoulder press
military press
behind the neck press
pushpress

triceps:
close grip
close grip decline
close grip board press
dips

That is really good advice.

My form is something I take pride in; I had a bench press coach critique my form until I could do it without fail. Shoulders ‘cocked’ and feet tucked in.

A follow up question: At this point I know I can’t rep 225 for than 3 times without failing, should I not put anym more weight on until I can? Stay at 225lbs until I can rep it an appropriate amount of times? I mean 2 months ago I couldn’t rep it once, now I can go 3, MAYBE 4 times.

It’s all about progress!
[/quote]

if you can only do 3 reps you may be better off getting 205x10-12, then 225x8-10, 250x5-6, then 275x3-4

you probably shouldnt be working with your 3rm every workout.

the way I see it, the lighter the weight is for you the easier it is to get a extra rep here or there. Going from 225x3 to 225x4 is a big deal. Going from 185x9 to 185x10 is something you can easily do.

However there is also the point that you just cant just keep getting that extra rep going from 9 to 10 in which case you should just throw more weight on and start over.

[quote]Mega Newb wrote:
OooahhhCANTONA wrote:
Mega Newb wrote:

Well hard training is a large part of it, but you have to know when to change things up. If you dont make gains for a months at a time it doesnt matter how hard you train. You need to change something. Thats why I recomend switching around assitance work.

I put it very simple but it is actually many many different programs mixed together.

3.Going from 315-350-375 is just a variation of periodization and peaking programs

You could probably even take it a step further with that program and make the assistance work 5x5, and the bench work 1 set to failure. Then it would really be a ton of programs added together.

I think westside should only be used once you have milked all the other simpler programs. And got very good at reps. I personally would like to bench 455x10-500x10 (I bounce and dont lockout) before I start westside to get good at
maxing.
[/quote]

Nicely put. Ye, I think a lot of people do start Westside to early, and could make nice gains off something simple until the weight is massive.

So, how should it be bench day, when training like this, twice a week or something?

[quote]OooahhhCANTONA wrote:
Mega Newb wrote:
OooahhhCANTONA wrote:
Mega Newb wrote:

I think westside should only be used once you have milked all the other simpler programs. And got very good at reps. I personally would like to bench 455x10-500x10 (I bounce and dont lockout) before I start westside to get good at
maxing.

Nicely put. Ye, I think a lot of people do start Westside to early, and could make nice gains off something simple until the weight is massive.

So, how should it be bench day, when training like this, twice a week or something?

[/quote]

If you think you can make a PR that day, go train. No need taking extra time off if you can make gains without it. Of course when you think your at risk of injury you should back off.

We all have those days that we feel good, lot of sleep, feel strong etc. Thats the time to train.

If you wanted a set time I would probably bench every 4th day. Every now and then instead of flat bench you could just do a different bench variation in its place. Because clearly you arent gonna add a extra rep every time you train. Especially if your training fairly often. Or maybe instead of that just do bench last in the workout so you could hit a good PR in some of your assistance work.

[quote]MustangPB wrote:

My routine on 7/2/08

My routine on 9/3/08

Any tips on increasing the bench press would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

The best advice I can give, would be to not forget about working the legs and back as much as the chest, tri’s, and shoulders…
Look at someone’s routine that has a considerable bench… Lots of rows, pull-ups, squats, and deadlift variations… I have seen a lot of people platue, because all they do to get a bigger bench is just that, bench… A.K.A. the Frat Boy routine, bench, and curls… You have to look beyond that lift, and find out what movements compliment it…
I also agree that you should stick with a routine, or a exercise, as long as it is working… And yes change is good, but don’t be to hasty. Give it about 4-8 weeks, then change things up…

Finally, find out what works best for you… Every body type reacts a little differently to a particular movement…
Good luck and train hard…

good advice saturday i hit 5 reps with 315 with the spotter helping me on the last rep. it felt a lot lighter.

i also had an iced coffee during my workout so that helped.