T Nation

The 3 Month Strength Challenge

I've done this previously and by the end month I struggled to hit the 110% weight targets, even with my training max 90% of my real maxes and was conservative then!

HOWEVER

I want to give it another go and for the assistance exercises I'm going to do the opposite lift for the 5x5x8 sets at 70%

"Day One
â?¢ Press â?? 3 sets of 3+ reps
â?¢ Bench Press â?? 5 sets of 5-8 reps @ 70%

Day Two
â?¢ Deadlift â?? 3 sets of 3+ reps, plus one single at training max
â?¢ Squat â?? 5 sets of 5-8 reps @ 70%

Day Three
â?¢ Bench Press â?? 3 sets of 3+ reps, plus one single at training max
â?¢ Press -â??â?? 5 sets of 5-8 reps @ 70%

Day Four
â?¢ Squat â?? 3 sets of 3+reps, plus one single at training max
â?¢ Deadlift -â??â?? 5 sets of 3-5 reps @ 70%"

I will most likely finish this cycle and then reset my %s to make sure I am able to go through the full three months and actually hit some PRs as opposed to not making gains like last time I tried. I am obviously in a calorie surplus, I am going to step up my mobility and add some additional cardio in.

If this goes well can I run this strength challenge back to back as I am mostly interested in gaining strength as fast as I can whilst staying on the 5/3/1 program?

Thanks.

I’m going to try it in two weeks and see how it goes.

"If this goes well can I run this strength challenge back to back as I am mostly interested in gaining strength as fast as I can whilst staying on the 5/3/1 program? "

Probably not a good idea. Training isn’t just a linear plan - you have to back off and then build back up. That is, if you are interested in gaining strength. Stop thinking with the help of beginners!

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
"If this goes well can I run this strength challenge back to back as I am mostly interested in gaining strength as fast as I can whilst staying on the 5/3/1 program? "

Probably not a good idea. Training isn’t just a linear plan - you have to back off and then build back up. That is, if you are interested in gaining strength. Stop thinking with the help of beginners![/quote]

Hm fair point, so perhaps this and then maybe the BBB challenge. Or one of the others in the book.

[quote]Railingz wrote:

Probably not a good idea. Training isn’t just a linear plan - you have to back off and then build back up. That is, if you are interested in gaining strength. Stop thinking with the help of beginners![/quote]

Hm fair point, so perhaps this and then maybe the BBB challenge. Or one of the others in the book.[/quote]

See how you feel after finishing the strength challenge during the deload before thinking about another challenge like BBB. If you feel trashed just do some basic 5/3/1 for a couple of cycles. If you feel like you can handle more, try the BBB challenge etc.
Remember Jims workouts are in cycles so you can evaluate after each cycle where you need to go next.

"Hm fair point, so perhaps this and then maybe the BBB challenge. Or one of the others in the book. "

No, this is not what I meant at all. Do a challenge, ease back a bit, then start a new one. For example, I have four NOV challenges that will make you grow pube dreads. I work towards the goals for 6 weeks. Then, I take 3 weeks “off” where I’m not pushing too hard. Then, I start training for a new goal. Then I back off again.

Easing back doesn’t mean you fuck with the TM, it means you don’t kill yourself and let bar speed be king.

"Hm fair point, so perhaps this and then maybe the BBB challenge. Or one of the others in the book. "

No, this is not what I meant at all. Do a challenge, ease back a bit, then start a new one. For example, I have four NOV challenges that will make you grow pube dreads. I work towards the goals for 6 weeks. Then, I take 3 weeks “off” where I’m not pushing too hard. Then, I start training for a new goal. Then I back off again.

Easing back doesn’t mean you fuck with the TM, it means you don’t kill yourself and let bar speed be king.[/quote]

Okay, brilliant thanks for the advice mate.