T Nation

The 10,000 Year Explosion

Anyone going to read this book?

[quote]Resistance to malaria. Blue eyes. Lactose tolerance. What do all of these traits have in common? Every one of them has emerged in the last 10,000 years.

Scientists have long believed that the ?great leap forward? that occurred some 40,000 to 50,000 years ago in Europe marked end of significant biological evolution in humans. In this stunningly original account of our evolutionary history, top scholars Gregory Cochran and Henry Harpending reject this conventional wisdom and reveal that the human species has undergone a storm of genetic change much more recently. Human evolution in fact accelerated after civilization arose, they contend, and these ongoing changes have played a pivotal role in human history. They argue that biology explains the expansion of the Indo-Europeans, the European conquest of the Americas, and European Jews’ rise to intellectual prominence. In each of these cases, the key was recent genetic change: adult milk tolerance in the early Indo-Europeans that allowed for a new way of life, increased disease resistance among the Europeans settling America, and new versions of neurological genes among European Jews.

Ranging across subjects as diverse as human domestication, Neanderthal hybridization, and IQ tests, Cochran and Harpending’s analysis demonstrates convincingly that human genetics have changed and can continue to change much more rapidly than scientists have previously believed. A provocative and fascinating new look at human evolution that turns conventional wisdom on its head, The 10,000 Year Explosion reveals the ongoing interplay between culture and biology in the making of the human race.[/quote]

Gene Expression’s Razib gave it a good review.

Sounds interesting but too many books in queue right now. Too bad it isn’t available on CD. I am in desperate need of books to listen too during my weekly trips through IA, NE, and KS.

Any good book recommendations on CD would be appreciated.

Sounds like a load of total crap

do I have to elaborate for the dummies? or should I let them figure it out?

[quote]Magarhe wrote:

do I have to elaborate for the dummies? or should I let them figure it out?[/quote]

Yes, please present your case studies supporting the opposite hypothesis.

Thanks PRCaldude,

That looks like an interesting read. It might explain why some groups seem to predominate in specific occupations and ideologies. That’s an interest of mine.

Let me guess: Magarhe knows that the ONLY genetic difference between differing ethnic groups of people is skin tone.

Another excellent book along similar lines:

Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond:

Awesome. Added to my wishlist - both of them. Thanks guys.

The book talks about what just about every European knows and believes and Every American is brain washed to not know and believe.

Were all the same, remember?

[quote]Magarhe wrote:

do I have to elaborate for the dummies? [/quote]

Of course you do. Be sure to elaborate for these guys also:
http://www.haloscan.com/comments/raldanash/5550399301414051847?url=http://www.gnxp.com/blog/2009/01/10000-year-explosion.php&thetime=1/26/2009%2008:51:00%20PM

John Hawks didn’t seem to have a problem with it.

[quote]forlife wrote:
Another excellent book along similar lines:

Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond:

[/quote]

http://www.google.com/search?q="jared+diamond"+site%3Aisteve.blogspot.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Sticky this thread, mods! This is easily the best thread we’ve had here.

Sounds like a good read. That sales pitch is a little bit over the border, though, as usual.

“A provocative and fascinating new look at human evolution that turns conventional wisdom on its head, The 10,000 Year Explosion reveals the ongoing interplay between culture and biology in the making of the human race.”

I remember reading that lamarckism has made some kind of comeback.

If you like genetic studies, The Bell Curve, by Charles Murray is interesting. Not an easy read though.

[quote]dhickey wrote:
If you like genetic studies, The Bell Curve, by Charles Murray is interesting. Not an easy read though.[/quote]

Kinda controversial.
The Bell Curve has been debunked, on several points. The book is full of findings that contradict themselves.
I know, it’s very PC to say that “everybody, no matter what race they are, is equally intelligent” but that book does NOT have much relevance today.

[quote]archiewhittaker wrote:
dhickey wrote:
If you like genetic studies, The Bell Curve, by Charles Murray is interesting. Not an easy read though.

Kinda controversial.
The Bell Curve has been debunked, on several points. The book is full of findings that contradict themselves.
I know, it’s very PC to say that “everybody, no matter what race they are, is equally intelligent” but that book does NOT have much relevance today.[/quote]

That book was done at least 10 years ago, before they finished mapping the genome. That said, Lynn just came out with a book that confirmed the same thing with newer data:

Here’s another:

Here’s another:

The ‘rebuttal’ you refer to is here:

The basic liberal religious presupposition is that, despite the fact that people from different races look differently than one another (and have different disease resistance, lactose tolerance, grain tolerance, heights, etc), human evolution stopped short of creating differences in general intelligence - that we’re all the same in that regard. That idea doesn’t make any sense and isn’t confirmed by any reliable data outside of data that liberals want to believe. If you just google “Ashkenazi IQ,” you’ll turn up a ton of stuff that explains it from a population-genetic standpoint:
http://www.google.com/search?q=ashkenazi+iq&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
Let me guess: Magarhe knows that the ONLY genetic difference between differing ethnic groups of people is skin tone.[/quote]

LOL, exactly.

Regardless of whether or not there is a genetic trend to intelligence, there is sufficient variation to invalidate any stereotype in that regard. I guarantee there are people from every minority group that would kick your ass or mine in an IQ contest.

[quote]forlife wrote:
…that would kick your ass or mine in an IQ contest.[/quote]

Difference is, you’d enjoy it.

Of course. And, on average, they would be Han Chinese, Ashkenazi Jews, Japanese, Koreans, etc. It would be wherever the guassian distributions of the intelligence of the other races overlapped the white distribution on the end of the white IQ distribution higher than my IQ. If I knew my own IQ, we could sit here and calculate how many blacks/hispanics/Asians/? in the US are smarter than me. This exercise should be pretty much trivial for a PhD like yourself.