T Nation

The #1 Best Gym Exercise

I see it mentioned so rarely that when I came across the page on the following site, I just had to post it:

http://spidersport.com/dumbbell-squat_en.php

Forget front pulls, conventional squats, or presses. This is the single most effective lift and also the most difficult to perform.

Strength, full body development, and aerobic capacity all in one.

The lady in the pics is using a heavier weight than many powerlifters could manage.

[quote]Nominal Prospect wrote:
The lady in the pics is using a heavier weight than many powerlifters could manage.[/quote]

?

Have you completely lost it?

[quote]HoratioSandoval wrote:
Nominal Prospect wrote:
The lady in the pics is using a heavier weight than many powerlifters could manage.


[/quote]

GPP.

I remember reading an article by Dave Tate where he was extoling the virtues of being big & strong. He was saying something like, “It’s great to have to sit down after walking across a parking lot.”

A guy like Tate (in his old condition) wouldn’t get 5 reps off with a pair of 120’s before having to puke. That’s the beauty of DB squats, that it hammers every single energy system across the entire aerobic/anaerobic spectrum. It takes an incredible, all-around athlete to master the movement.

This lift is so effective, you could train an army on it alone, and it would make a powerful fighting force.

[quote]DON D1ESEL wrote:
Have you completely lost it?[/quote]

No, my brother. I am closer to the truth than ever before.

[quote]Nominal Prospect wrote:
HoratioSandoval wrote:
Nominal Prospect wrote:
The lady in the pics is using a heavier weight than many powerlifters could manage.

GPP.

I remember reading an article by Dave Tate where he was extoling the virtues of being big & strong. He was saying something like, “It’s great to have to sit down after walking across a parking lot.”

A guy like Tate (in his old condition) wouldn’t get 5 reps off with a pair of 120’s before having to puke. That’s the beauty of DB squats, that it hammers every single energy system across the entire aerobic/anaerobic spectrum. It takes an incredible, all-around athlete to master the movement.

This lift is so effective, you could train an army on it alone, and it would make a powerful fighting force.[/quote]

somebody ban this pin head he is obviously a piece of Sh@t and needs to be admitted to a loony bin

[quote]Nominal Prospect wrote:
GPP.

I remember reading an article by Dave Tate where he was extoling the virtues of being big & strong. He was saying something like, “It’s great to have to sit down after walking across a parking lot.”

A guy like Tate (in his old condition) wouldn’t get 5 reps off with a pair of 120’s before having to puke. That’s the beauty of DB squats, that it hammers every single energy system across the entire aerobic/anaerobic spectrum. It takes an incredible, all-around athlete to master the movement.

This lift is so effective, you could train an army on it alone, and it would make a powerful fighting force.[/quote]

WTF?

  1. She isn’t lifting DBs that are even in the same zipcode as 120s so I don’t know why you went there with your argument. Speaking of that…

  2. Dave Tate has really changed his workout routine and diet in the past year. You should check it out over at elitefts.com.

  3. Who can’t master squatting while holding a pair of dumbbells? You know how to squat without weight? I know I can. Just grab any set of dumbbells and repeat the movement. Where am I missing the high technical skill involved?

What the…? I was really expecting to see an odd variation of the olympic lifts. I must admit that exercise is really tough. But… Ummm… I was just expecting something I’ve never seen before.

Looks like it’ll make a great accessory move. I should incorporate it if I remember.

Thanks for exposing the truth

-Serious

I do a set or 2 of these every leg workout and I will admit they are harder than you might think, but I’m not ready to ascribe to them the divinely inspired status that you appear to be giving them.

You guys are the crazy ones here!

Those dumbbells look to be 35’s or 40’s. 'Aint no powerlifters this side of the Rio Grande can lift a pair of 40 lb dumbbells.

The most I’ve deadlifted was 585 and I can’t even get a pair of 40’s out of the rack!

That girl is obviously “using”.

[quote]oztrav wrote:
Nominal Prospect wrote:
HoratioSandoval wrote:
Nominal Prospect wrote:
The lady in the pics is using a heavier weight than many powerlifters could manage.

GPP.

I remember reading an article by Dave Tate where he was extoling the virtues of being big & strong. He was saying something like, “It’s great to have to sit down after walking across a parking lot.”

A guy like Tate (in his old condition) wouldn’t get 5 reps off with a pair of 120’s before having to puke. That’s the beauty of DB squats, that it hammers every single energy system across the entire aerobic/anaerobic spectrum. It takes an incredible, all-around athlete to master the movement.

This lift is so effective, you could train an army on it alone, and it would make a powerful fighting force.

somebody ban this pin head he is obviously a piece of Sh@t and needs to be admitted to a loony bin
[/quote]

i agree, ban him

Funny that you would post this exercise, because I have just implemented it in my program.

Although I would describe her form more as a DB dead lift than DB squat.

[quote]oztrav wrote:
Nominal Prospect wrote:
HoratioSandoval wrote:
Nominal Prospect wrote:
The lady in the pics is using a heavier weight than many powerlifters could manage.

GPP.

I remember reading an article by Dave Tate where he was extoling the virtues of being big & strong. He was saying something like, “It’s great to have to sit down after walking across a parking lot.”

A guy like Tate (in his old condition) wouldn’t get 5 reps off with a pair of 120’s before having to puke. That’s the beauty of DB squats, that it hammers every single energy system across the entire aerobic/anaerobic spectrum. It takes an incredible, all-around athlete to master the movement.

This lift is so effective, you could train an army on it alone, and it would make a powerful fighting force.

somebody ban this pin head he is obviously a piece of Sh@t and needs to be admitted to a loony bin
[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote]Nominal Prospect wrote:

A guy like Tate (in his old condition) wouldn’t get 5 reps off with a pair of 120’s before having to puke. That’s the beauty of DB squats, that it hammers every single energy system across the entire aerobic/anaerobic spectrum. It takes an incredible, all-around athlete to master the movement. [/quote]

Umm… dude… I have 16 year old girls doing reps with 70 pounds on that exercise. And they barbell squat like… 200. I’m pretty sure any decent powerlifter could do 5 reps with 120 pounds. Besides, since when is 5 reps considered aerobic?

The only thing I can possibly consider would be if you thought she was doing pistols…

Maybe you could save yourself by saying you meant to post this link instead:

http://spidersport.com/dead-lift_en.php

I pretty much do this movement when I use db shrugs. They’re taxing, but to claim it’s the best…give me a break. Obviously BB Squats are going to be more beneficial because you can hold more weight on your shoulders as opposed to your grip giving out before your legs. I guess they’re good for grip strength… but then again you could just do farmer’s walks. And deadlift is still #1 on my list for body destroyers.

As for the military, they focus more on muscle endurance than strength…otherwise there’d be strength tests on the pt test instead of burnout exercises.

This post sounds like something found in Flex as the next big thing…TSB.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:

  1. She isn’t lifting DBs that are even in the same zipcode as 120s so I don’t know why you went there with your argument. Speaking of that…[/quote]

No, she isn’t, but it looks like she is moving some very impressive weight for her size. More than most men, in most gyms, would be able to do for reps.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
2. Dave Tate has really changed his workout routine and diet in the past year. You should check it out over at elitefts.com.[/quote]

I know. That’s why I said that Tate probably couldn’t have done them in his old condition.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
3. Who can’t master squatting while holding a pair of dumbbells? You know how to squat without weight? I know I can. Just grab any set of dumbbells and repeat the movement. Where am I missing the high technical skill involved?[/quote]

I didn’t say it was the most technical exercise out there, only the most demanding. Oly lifts are more technical, but they consist of multiple movements. DB Squats are just a single movement, and there is a lot more to them than meets the eye. I can describe the intricacies of the movement to you, but you really have to try it for yourself to appreciate how demanding it is.

During the movement, the dumbells dig into your sides unless you forcefully contract your lats and hold your arms a few inches away from your body. The bigger the dumbells, the more difficult this becomes. Doing a partial iron cross hold with heavy dumbells’s is no joke. Doing it while simultaneously front squatting elevates the difficulty to a whole other level. You can’t hitch the 'bells up and ride them up your legs as you would a bar. There’s no shortening the ROM by taking a wide stance, because your knees have to be close enough to let the DB’s pass on the ascent. The heavier the weight, the narrower stance you must take. So you are forced to do a quad-dominant, a2g squat, that is even more difficult than it would be with a bar because you have to grip the load and you cannot heave it up with your back as easily as a bar.

Bars are inferior to dumbbells. They allow people to use various tricks to shorten their ROM and lift more weight without actually getting stronger. The bells don’t give people the same opportunity. That’s why I said this exercise would hit powerlifters the hardest.

Balance & flexibility are heavily called into play, just look at the extreme position of the girl when she reaches the bottom. Think some barely-able-to-walk fat lifter with a 50" gut could do that? Also it [obviously] involves core strength, aerobic capacity, and more. Basically, if a modality exists in the field strength & conditioning, it can be trained with this exercise. It can be used to train sprinters and bodybuilders and weight lifters and everyone in between.

This exercise has all of the benefits of the two recognized best lifts - the squat & deadlift - with almost none of the shortcomings. You don’t have to teach people proper form, as the mechanics of the lift force them to use it (in stark contrast to squats & deads, where people’s natural inclination is to round their backs and raise their hips too early on a heavy attempt). So the risk of injury is minimal compared to barbell movements, and the participant’s form won’t significantly degrade on his last few reps, because it can’t. He’ll either get the weight up properly, or lose his lunch in the attempt.

If you could get the benefits of both the squat and deadlift in one super movement, you’d do it. Now, I’ve shown you that exact exercise.

The muscle groups utilized are the Deltoids, Lats, Traps, Scapular Retractors, Muscles of the Neck, Forearms, Core, Quads, Calves, and Posterior Chain…if I’m not forgetting any.

[quote]Nominal Prospect wrote:
During the movement, the dumbells dig into your sides unless you forcefully contract your lats and hold your arms a few inches away from your body.[/quote]

I’m no expert… but I’m pretty sure the lats are not a shoulder abductor.

[quote]
The bigger the dumbells, the more difficult this becomes. Doing a partial iron cross hold with heavy dumbells’s is no joke. Doing it while simultaneously front squatting elevates the difficulty to a whole other level.[/quote]

Maybe if you were front squatting that would be the case, but I don’t think holding them at your side qualifies.

[quote]
You can’t hitch the 'bells up and ride them up your legs as you would a bar.[/quote]

Umm… why COULDN’T you hitch when doing this movement? Besides, when the hell do you ride a bar up your legs?

[quote]
There’s no shortening the ROM by taking a wide stance, because your knees have to be close enough to let the DB’s pass on the ascent.[/quote]

I’ll give you that, although I don’t think squatting with a narrow stance is neccessarily a good thing for athletes.

[quote]
The heavier the weight, the narrower stance you must take. So you are forced to do a quad-dominant, a2g squat, [/quote]

Maybe it’s just my monkey arms, but I get nowhere near ATG when doing this. The bells hit the floor about 6" or so before I get to the fully bottom position.

[quote]
that is even more difficult than it would be with a bar because you have to grip the load and you cannot heave it up with your back as easily as a bar.[/quote]

That’s the only thing more difficult about this, you have to grip the weight while you do it. Your grip is going to give out long before you get to a weight that would be able to do much of anything for your leg strength. And how exactly can you not “heave it up with your back as easily”? Just… straighten you legs earlier. In fact, I would say it’s MUCH EASIER to good-morning this one up then with a barbell. Shit, just ask anybody to pick up a light dumbell and look what they do: all back.

[quote]
Bars are inferior to dumbbells. They allow people to use various tricks to shorten their ROM and lift more weight without actually getting stronger. The bells don’t give people the same opportunity. That’s why I said this exercise would hit powerlifters the hardest.[/quote]

Damn… so that’s been the problem with all those powerlifters. They haven’t actually gotten stronger, they only squat 600+ by shortening their ROM! Give 'em some 50 pound dumbells and they’ll fall right over!

[quote]
Balance & flexibility are heavily called into play, just look at the extreme position of the girl when she reaches the bottom.[/quote]

WTF is the “extreme position” of which you speak? It looks like she’s about 4-5" below parallel and practically doubled over at the waist.

[quote]
Think some barely-able-to-walk fat lifter with a 50" gut could do that? [/quote]

Yes… yes as a matter of fact I do.

[quote]
Also it [obviously] involves core strength, aerobic capacity, and more. Basically, if a modality exists in the field strength & conditioning, it can be trained with this exercise. It can be used to train sprinters and bodybuilders and weight lifters and everyone in between.[/quote]

No… no it OBVIOUSLY does NOT neccessarily involve aerobic capacity. Do you know what “aerobic capacity” is? Do one rep of those and tell me how much of your aerobic capacity was used. I suppose sprinters and bodybuilders could both use these, but the last I checked most of them are doing just fine with more useful exercises such as barbell squats.

I almost feel like this post was a joke, you said so much stuff that was just… retarded. I don’t understand. There’s nothing magical about a damned dumbell squat. They’re good for some things, such as a change of pace, a way to get the bar of the back (although I’d say belt squats would be superior if you have access) and work on some grip and core strength. However, your grip is going to give out before you get to meaningful weight and you’re definity MORE likely to hurt yourself doing these because the natural inclination is to let the dumbells drift out front and straighten the legs too early and lift it with your back.

Some of the things you’ve said have made me honestly question whether you’ve actually done a dumbell squat before.

[quote]Nominal Prospect wrote:
This lift is so effective, you could train an army on it alone, and it would make a powerful fighting force.[/quote]

Ok I actually missed this somehow on the first read-through.

This HAS to be a joke…