That's Just Harry

Me too but count me in on the goat curry !

1 Like

I saw that on some reality show. I don’t know what’s with the goat love lately. They’re kind of gross.

Except like this.

1 Like

:laughing:

Just got words from friends my high school Football coach passed. His named was Max Kelly, was 86, played both football and baseball for Alabama in the fifties before becoming a coach. A member of the Alabama High School Sports Hall of Fame. You don’t see his like anymore. Political correctness and parental interference has seen to that. He was from the time when coaches were mentors, teachers, disciplinaries, and role models. He would get down on the line in his tshirt and go head to head with you if he didn’t feel you were “giving 110%”. Watched him work with pitchers catching the ball with his bare hand. Chewed Redman constantly. Words of his I never forgot. “You quit here, you quit now, you become a quitter in life” and “Love, tomorrow’s game day you best keep it in your pants……”. Well, never mind that one. I know, sounds trite but served me well. A TI in pipeline training asked me why I never seemed bothered by all the pressure and I said, “should have seen my football coach”. So, toasting one to Max Kelly tonight, another chapter of my life closed. Collector Card of Coach Kelly and a couple I got sent of yours truly, no.25.

![b%20football|562x400]b%20football

3 Likes

It’s hard to see people pass out of our lives and their passing sure brings back a lot of nostalgia and memories.

1 Like

It’s amazing how great coaches like that stay with us for life. I still think about my football and wrestling coaches all the time. They were a big influence on my life. Like you, I think about various things they would say from time to time. God bless.

2 Likes

Sunday, May 20 - Deads to 405 x 3 x 2
Mon - AM Swim in river x 1000m, PM Throw shot
Tues - Bench to 275 x 5 x 5
Wed - AM, clean and press to 265 x 1,1,1,1, PM instruction
Today - AM Threw Discus, PM swim 1000m

Added this after. Just remembered. Tuesday at the gym got into a conversation with one of the regulars and realized there’s a big gap in my “training” knowledge. Guy’s in his mid 50’s, got some muscle on him, lifts regular, but carries some extra weight, too. He asks me what diet, eating, supplement plan I’m on. Supplement is coffee I tell him. Eat whatever meat I want, grilled or broiled, rarely fried but won’t turn down chicken done that way. Lots of fish and seafood. Pretty much eat all fresh veggies and barely cook them. Eat a lot of fruit, especially when in the PI. Never been much for sweets, candy, deserts, sodas or such (except gotta have my gummi bears. Grew up on them overseas). Last time I ate “fast food” was when I was still working but the wife and I enjoy eating out at sit down restaurants. I does enjoy a sip of whiskey, or two. He was looking for a diet planned or a specific regiment of which I know nothing. Anybody got any good ones?

Do a search on main page here for “100 gram carbohydrate diet” for a lot of good stuff. One article I remember but didn’t find, was about 2 experts on here saying 100 grams of carbohydrates a day would work. It’s a ketosis thing I think. Makes body burn fat instead of carbohydrates for energy. Law partner who doesn’t lift is on zero carb diet for faster fat loss and he’s losing stomach fat (no booze presently). Anything under 50 for me almost destroys workout energy. I like 100 far better, just slower fat loss.

A ketosis diet, according to “all knowing” law partner, lets one eat unlimited amounts of meat, cheese, bacon, vegetables. I’m surprised at how many good foods have few carbs. There’s some parmesan chips at Costco whose label declares 23 crisps equal l gram of carbs. Similarly, pig skins.

Thanks I’ll take a look at those.

Hel take a look at Rennaisance Periodization ebook The Rennaisance Diet. You can download a free chapter to get an idea if you like it. It sounds like your diet is pretty damn good, this just explains everything clearly. Maybe allow you to dial things in if you want. Glad to see you posting again.

Thanks Scotto. I’ve don’t follow diet plans. This is for a friend. I look into it and see if he likes it.

You’re not talking about Haribo gummis are you? I love them. I still get them at a local German store.

Those are the one. Use to get them for a pfenning each, 100 for a mark, as a kid in Germany.

1 Like

Fri - Deads to 405 to 3 x 3
Today - Threw shot AM. Spent most of the day today and again tomorrow at the at the Vet Retirement home getting ready for Monday. Hard time for a lot of the old timers (wait, I’m almost there!). Almost all those they served with and most their family members are gone. Memories and each other are all most of them have left. Course I’m smuggling in a couple bottles of whiskey and some cigars. Ever seen 90 year olds hiding behind a building to catch a nip and a smoke? Cook out on Monday, lot of local vets and active duty attending. Enjoy the weekend an toast one to the heavens if you think about it. table

2 Likes

My friend Woody always has hard time of it this time of year. Brings back lots of bad memories for him. He did 2 tours in Vietnam and 1 in Okinawa. I never quite know what to say when he starts telling me about the nightmares.
I all can do is lend an ear.
Bless you for all you do.

2 Likes

My dad served in Vietnam, and lost some friends too. Just a year ago he opened up to me and told me about some things that happened to him and what he did over there. I’m the only person who has heard those things. Not even my mother. I promised him I’ll take it with me to my grave too. It was an honor to think he could confide in me.

3 Likes

I recently read China Marine written by EB Sledge. In he describes what he did before bed to successfully keep the nightmares away. It’s about $5 on Amazon.

1 Like

I still pick these up for my mom. She loves them too.

1 Like

That is the best thing you can do, listen.

1 Like

Kind of required reading here in Alabama him being from Mobile and then returning to Auburn. One of my brothers introduced me to his first book and I read the second later. Too bad they didn’t come out til after he passed.