That's Just Harry

In case I haven’t mentioned it more than a hundred times or so before, I hates chlorine and consider being forced to swim in a pool penance for past sins to numerous to catalog.

4 x 50m wu
4 x 100m
500m

2 Likes

Amen!

Doing anything for Mardi Gras today and tomorrow?

The city’s big parade planned this past Saturday got canceled by all day thunderstorms. Tomorrow night we’re having big to do at the Knights of Columbus. Suppose to be Mardi Gras but the food and music all gonna be Cajun. One of my great nephews got a little Zydeco band that does pretty good and he’ll be playing. Mother was asking if I’d decided what to give up for Lent. Told her I was giving up giving up and she hit me in the head with her wooden spoon.

2 Likes

Charcoal cross on forehead bit Wednesday morning?

Ash Wednesday this Wednesday. All that aren’t working will take mother to mass then out for Valentine Lunch with her and the wives.

1 Like

Yesterday evening
1st night of class, met students, did evaluations

Today

Bench
135wu
185 x 8
225 x 8 x 3

Smith Incline
90wu
140 x 8 x 3

incline flys
15, 20 x 12
25,30 x 10

Fly machine
80,90,100,110 x 10

CGB
185 x 8 x 3

rope tri ext
50,60,70,80 x 8

1 Like

Nice having you back Harry

1 Like

Which of the arts are you teaching, and where? Meaning, like a YMCA or somebody’s dojo?

oldest lardest ass

1 Like

Once a week Shotokan, just Sho Dan (1) to Ni Dan (2) at a friends dojo as a favor. Got asked (corraled) by another friend to instruct in a beginners Arnis/Kali class the Philippine American Association is sponsoring. I don’t want to teach beginners but the instructor is barely what Americans call a 1st black belt so the wife and I will just give occasional (I hope) “suggestions”. No bladed weapon training, stick only. It’s taught at a local church. So are you lifting now?

That’s pretty cool. “only teaching the guys that want to be Ni Dans”. That’s pretty awesome. I always wanted to study Arnis/Kali, but there was never a teacher around until I after I gimped myself, so I still haven’t tried it.

No, not lifting yet. actually strung an entire 7 days in a row of doing my rehab exercises (knee bends and leg lifts), so walking is a little easier. I’ll get back to it eventually. a couple younger guys (only in their 40’s) at work want to start lifting, so I’ll probably start back up here soon. gonna be a loooooooooong time before I can lift much of anything, but I want to get back to the gym.

Glad to see you’re keeping busy!
OL

2 Likes

Clean/press
45wu
135 x 3
155 x 3
175 x2
Clean
185 x 2,2,2
ski raises
35,40,45 x 10
hammer curls
25,30,30 x 10
Twist with band

Deads
135wu
225,275,315 x5
Bend rows
135,155,165 x 8
lat pulldowns
90,100,110,120 x 10
seated rows
100,110,120 x 10
Shrugs
135,185,225 x max
Facepulls w/rope
70,80,90 x 10

Leg Press
180 x 12, 320 x 10 x 4

Found some more old pix. Didn’t scan real good. Told this story on another site from the “glory days” of powerlifting. Griffiss AFB, NY, 1983, 28 years old, at weigh in 218 if I remember right. July, humid as hell and no AC in the gym. Sweating like a pig. Old Weider lifting belt, and SAC issued gym shoes. I trained about 8 months between missions for this using “Inside Powerlifting” as my bible. State of the art squat racks we bribed aircraft welding guys a couple bottles of Johnny Walker and a box of stogeys to make. Used old wheels and spare parts. Big argument over whether we could use ace bandages to wrap our knees. Judging was strict. Couple of gym staff were drafted, trained what to look for, and got the job. Lifts were ruled as either “looks good to me”, or “nope”. Went 8 for 9 that day. Think this pix was my 2nd squat at around 600. Ended up going 640-440-675. Screwed the pooch on the bench trying to jump from 440 to 490. Do remember the party at the NCO Club after this meet was epic. Had pix of the deadlift and the bench. Find them laying around I’ll post them. We invaded Grenada in Oct of 83 and I was tied up with mission requirements, deployments, some injuries for several years. When I finally had some time concentrated on throwing and not PL. You always wonder though. Warm to tomorrow so going out and throw into the mud.

edit: Looking at the pix I remembered, No thumbs around the bar.

3 Likes

Those are awesome Harry! Thanks for sharing.

Damn!

1 Like

Yer thanks Harry great pics mate

1 Like

Damn, great pictures and even better stories.

1 Like

This guy was career Navy. He’s got stories out the wazoo. Good pics.

1 Like

Spend a lot of time with the Navy especially the rescue swimmers. Did my scuba training at Navy Diving and Salvage Training Center, Panama City, Fl and Underwater Egress Training at NAS Pensacola, Fl.

1 Like

Impressive numbers. And only weighing 218.

Harry, besides being a great raconteur, you actually have substantive content. Love it.

2 Likes