That's Just Harry

If you can find a gym with a SSB bar, everyone says it allows you to squat when you have a bad shoulder.

The strongman guys swear by it as well.

Kevin Oak, WR type powerlifter, turns it around (so the pad is in front) and front squats with it when not doing meet prep, because he says it mimics doing a low bar back squat; to save wear and tear on his shoulders.

Still very stiff. Always liked to go below chest level on flyes but can only get even with the chest now. Any lateral raises of the shoulder still hurt a lot.

I’ve got a pretty good network of assorted lifters in the area and several of the guys have those bars. As a matter of fact one of them is a young very promising strongman, highlander. Have to give it a try.

Got a call from the throwers at Alabama A&M who’re getting ready for their SWAC championships. Went up to visit today and give some pointers, and actually got a little throwing in. Real careful throwing the left arm to accelerate the pivot and kept it tucked to the body but felt great to throw the shot and disc again. Nothing to brag about and couldn’t throw the hammer at all.

1 Like

Seems hard to believe you’ve had shoulder replacement after reading that bench posting.

1 Like

From the chest out is coming along fine. It’s moving the shoulder laterally and getting it straight overhead that’s the big problem.

my shoulders are just banged up- sports
a few injuries
it takes me and Im pretty spry a bit to get under the bar to squat.
Im impressed with your return of strength

Sorry your shoulder isn’t progressing as quickly as I’m sure you want it to. But I was glad to read you got some throwing in. On a side noted I’m going to try to make an atlas stone soon. Some plaster of paris, a big ball and some cement. See how it goes.

If it makes you feel any better my right shoulder isnt 100% either at the moment.

Lift, swim, run, repeat.
Leaving for the Philippines in 2 weeks and will be gone 2 months this time. The main stay of my workouts will be ocean swimming. Probably hit the gym and weights twice a week. Last couple of times there I’ve made down to the local college and got some throws in.

1 Like

Harry, I’m curious as to how, or if at all, the “controversial” President Duterte has affected day to day life for the average Philippines resident.

My brother-in-law is the barangi captain (think ward captain) and three of my nephews are policemen. One is a PO2 (young) and the other two are Captains (yeah, nepotism). When Duterte was elected I sat them down and asked them what they’d do if ordered to take out ( kill) a drug dealer or other criminal. Answer: Probably would. Seems harsh in the USA. Welcome to the 3rd world. In America it seems harsh. Effect of Duterte on everyday living? Good. Nephew complained he isn’t getting lunch because so many criminals, mainly drug dealers, are turning themselves in. Most people are glad he’s getting a lot of the criminals off the street.

Appreciate the insight Harry.

Been 2 beautiful days and several more to come. Waters still cold but I’m going to try an get in some swimming in the river tomorrow. Been hitting the lifts I can do, mainly chest area, swimming and increased my running to 1.5 miles 3 x a week. Weight is staying steady at 215 which I probably won’t be able to increase til I get back from the Philippines. Do way too much swimming there and eat way too healthy to put on pounds. Will be celebrating one of my God Daughters birthday as soon we get there and one of my brother in laws already has a 50K pig picked out for roasting. One of my nephews runs a Eskrima, Kali & Arnis school and I usually spend a good bit of time there working out. Anxious to get back to the island.

1 Like

Tuesday
Swim, run
Wednesday
Chest, back
Thursday
Back, legs
Friday
Coach and throw
Today
Swim, run
More blast from the past. Junior Olympics, 1972. I was 17, went all the way to the Finals and placed 4th in the US in disc, 5th in shot

1 Like

Love the old shots Harry. I got back to Melbourne from Bali at the weekend so now need to get my head back into training and eating right. Had the best time with family and friends and would have loved to stay longer but someone has to work to pay for it !! Have a ball in the Philippines, hope all the relaxation, warm weather and swimming get the shoulder where you want it to be. Rob

Thanks guy, can’t wait to get there. A retired Master Chief friend of mine over there has loaned me his boat next week. One of the brother in laws and some nephews and I are going to head down the chain for a week and do nothing but island hop, fish, some scuba and spear fishing. Hope we catch some fish to cause the only thing there loading is booze and water.

3 Likes

Awesome stuff, Harry. Enjoying life is good.

I was in the Junior Olympics for fencing in 1979, also 17. Finished 5th in Sabre. Brought back some memories…

(add) Hmmm, my competition was only for US kids, never could understand why they called it Jr. Olympics and not just Junior Nationals.

Same reason they have a World Series in baseball with just the US and Canada.

How’s it going Harry? God bless!