That Was Fast: Mizzou President Resigns

Two recent videos – student reporters at Mizzou told they can’t photograph public property, guy at Yale surrounded and cursed at over the Halloween thing – depict legendary restraint. I just don’t think I could do it, remain calm with so many people saying so many stupid things so loudly and so close to my face.

[quote]smh_23 wrote:
Two recent videos – student reporters at Mizzou told they can’t photograph public property, guy at Yale surrounded and cursed at over the Halloween thing – depict legendary restraint. I just don’t think I could do it, remain calm with so many people saying so many stupid things so loudly and so close to my face.[/quote]

This - College Football News, Videos, Scores, Teams, Standings, Stats | FOX Sports

[quote]Mcincinatti wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks he should lose his job? It’s obvious there is a large portion of his students who aren’t being prepared to be productive, responsible adults.[/quote]

I agree-This is pretty excellent organizing. While “state-funded” schools raise a lot of issues, I think that students should have more power and say, and should exercise their power more often than is typical now. I’m not saying I agree or disagree with this particular instance, but I agree on the whole with the concept of increased student agency and engagement and accept the consequences (i.e. the job loss) where it happens. [/quote]

…because students tend to show the ability to consider long term consequences to their actions, especially while engaged in mob rule. Yep, nothing wrong with that.

Correct me if I’m wrong, isn’t there already a governing student body and multiple established student led and run organizations on campus to facilitate these kind of things through proper channels? Nary anything good comes from cow-towing to mob rule and that is what this is. Just the fact one of their demands had something to do with “white privilege” and racial quotas tells me that whoever “organized” this has their own political agenda and couldn’t give a fuck about the “cause”. It’s political opportunism as its finest - Obama and Rahm Emanuel would be proud.[/quote]

Not sure I follow- is your gripe with the people who stepped down and/or folks at the top who asked or assented to the resignations (those who gave in?), or are you objecting to the students protesting for a particular result? Or both?

So that I’m clear, I’m not endorsing this particular cause on its merits, though I do endorse free assembly and organized peaceful protest as a legitimate means to affect change, regardless of whether or not I agree with what’s being protested.

For those who disagree with these student protests, is the alternative that we say that students aren’t allowed to assemble and organize peaceful protests? To me it sounds like we would, in that instance, be infringing 1st amendment rights.

[/quote]

My main gripe is giving in to a mob protest with no clear goal. This isn’t organized for one specific purpose (yet they claim racism … or inaction by administration … or anti-semitism … or etc. etc.). They “demand” ridiculous things or threaten to walk out/lock out/not play/die from hunger. It’s a childish gambit to attempt to assert change through these means. And what change? They want to end racism? or anti-semitism? What happens when the next guy can’t effect the type of change they want? more of the same bullshit?

They’re effectively castrating their own organizations and campus/student leadership now and in the future. They’ve legitimized mob rule for no clear reason.

Also, I’ve heard reports of press suppression (a student reporter was effectively kicked out and, according to the report, a member of the faculty called for muscle to have him removed from the demonstration … that’s some bullshit strong armed tactics that have no place in a peaceable protest).

This approach does nothing to further a cause … does nothing to effect change. They are just looking for, what effectively is, a moral victory. And the next person to fill the President position is going to be scared to be a leader in case he “offends” someone. Again, this is no way to effect real change and is irresponsible in the long term to give in to the demands.

[quote]smh_23 wrote:
Two recent videos – student reporters at Mizzou told they can’t photograph public property, guy at Yale surrounded and cursed at over the Halloween thing – depict legendary restraint. I just don’t think I could do it, remain calm with so many people saying so many stupid things so loudly and so close to my face.[/quote]

Oh god, you said it. I have aneurysms just reading about stupid things like this, let alone being the recipient.

[quote]polo77j wrote:
They want to end racism? [/quote]

No, not at all lol.

Demanding someone proclaim their “white privilege” is the opposite of ending racism. It’s actually supporting the living shit out of racism. A racism they enjoy and feel empowered by.

I’m not denying racism exists. Sure it does. But trying to “fight racism with racism” and then come up with the necessary rationalizations rather than actually, you know, working to end it like the vast majority of us here on Earth, is fucking silly.

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks he should lose his job? It’s obvious there is a large portion of his students who aren’t being prepared to be productive, responsible adults.[/quote]

I agree-This is pretty excellent organizing. While “state-funded” schools raise a lot of issues, I think that students should have more power and say, and should exercise their power more often than is typical now. I’m not saying I agree or disagree with this particular instance, but I agree on the whole with the concept of increased student agency and engagement and accept the consequences (i.e. the job loss) where it happens. [/quote]

…because students tend to show the ability to consider long term consequences to their actions, especially while engaged in mob rule. Yep, nothing wrong with that.

Correct me if I’m wrong, isn’t there already a governing student body and multiple established student led and run organizations on campus to facilitate these kind of things through proper channels? Nary anything good comes from cow-towing to mob rule and that is what this is. Just the fact one of their demands had something to do with “white privilege” and racial quotas tells me that whoever “organized” this has their own political agenda and couldn’t give a fuck about the “cause”. It’s political opportunism as its finest - Obama and Rahm Emanuel would be proud.[/quote]

Not sure I follow- is your gripe with the people who stepped down and/or folks at the top who asked or assented to the resignations (those who gave in?), or are you objecting to the students protesting for a particular result? Or both?

So that I’m clear, I’m not endorsing this particular cause on its merits, though I do endorse free assembly and organized peaceful protest as a legitimate means to affect change, regardless of whether or not I agree with what’s being protested.

For those who disagree with these student protests, is the alternative that we say that students aren’t allowed to assemble and organize peaceful protests? To me it sounds like we would, in that instance, be infringing 1st amendment rights.

[/quote]

My main gripe is giving in to a mob protest with no clear goal. This isn’t organized for one specific purpose (yet they claim racism … or inaction by administration … or anti-semitism … or etc. etc.). They “demand” ridiculous things or threaten to walk out/lock out/not play/die from hunger. It’s a childish gambit to attempt to assert change through these means. And what change? They want to end racism? or anti-semitism? What happens when the next guy can’t effect the type of change they want? more of the same bullshit?

They’re effectively castrating their own organizations and campus/student leadership now and in the future. They’ve legitimized mob rule for no clear reason.

Also, I’ve heard reports of press suppression (a student reporter was effectively kicked out and, according to the report, a member of the faculty called for muscle to have him removed from the demonstration … that’s some bullshit strong armed tactics that have no place in a peaceable protest).

This approach does nothing to further a cause … does nothing to effect change. They are just looking for, what effectively is, a moral victory. And the next person to fill the President position is going to be scared to be a leader in case he “offends” someone. Again, this is no way to effect real change and is irresponsible in the long term to give in to the demands.[/quote]

Interesting about the student reporters-in agreement with (likely) everyone here on that.

Fair enough on the rest-I’d say that installing a leader that’s “scared” to act in certain ways probably is one of their goals, so in that I think they’ve succeeded but I understand your point.

The university cannot even get rid of the professor who called for muscle in removing a reporter at the event, she is tenured.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
It is bizarre to think we’re now moving into an era of two races, the Guilty and the Victimized. One is white and male, the other everybody else[/quote]

Democrat utopia

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]Sloth wrote:
It is bizarre to think we’re now moving into an era of two races, the Guilty and the Victimized. One is white and male, the other everybody else[/quote]

Democrat utopia [/quote]

Yeah and your only options are be a “good ally” (which means subservience and “accepting” blame for a bunch of shit you aren’t actually responsibly for) or living in constant reminder of how you’re a lessor person because of your race and sex y the greater of society…

Sounds oddly familiar.

[quote]smh_23 wrote:

@ Yale and Halloween costumes, and free speech.

WSJ Op Ed - Yale’s Little Robespierres

And about what Aggv said - from today’s article “Protest Trigger Resignations”…

“Universities…have been very proud of the political correctness they have fostered over decades, This is them betting bit by the attitude they have fostered.”

So can we fire Pres. Obummer for the current racial climate in the country?

[quote]NorCal916 wrote:
So can we fire Pres. Obummer for the current racial climate in the country?[/quote]

umm, he’s black, so not only is that never going to happen, but you are a horrible racist for even suggesting it. Any criticism of the omnipotent god king is all based on your racist ideology …

This country is due for a serious fucking correction. There are too many God-fearing, wealthy, regular, working folks with money and guns.

When it comes, look out Leftists.

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]NorCal916 wrote:
So can we fire Pres. Obummer for the current racial climate in the country?[/quote]

umm, he’s black, so not only is that never going to happen, but you are a horrible racist for even suggesting it. Any criticism of the omnipotent god king is all based on your racist ideology … [/quote]

Liberal Statists are like the Borg…

Resistance is futile.

[quote]NorCal916 wrote:
This country is due for a serious fucking correction. There are too many God-fearing, wealthy, regular, working folks with money and guns.
[/quote]

Is that an Obummer quote? It sounds verbatim from a campaign rally.

[quote]JR249 wrote:

[quote]smh_23 wrote:

This - College Football News, Videos, Scores, Teams, Standings, Stats | FOX Sports
[/quote]

From the twitter account of the protest…

“It’s typically white media who don’t understand the importance of respecting black spaces.”

And the reminder from the article:

“Of course, god forbid an Asian reporter violate your ‘black spaces.’ Which, of course, is actually the center of the quad on a university campus.”

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]NorCal916 wrote:
[/quote]

Is that an Obummer quote? It sounds verbatim from a campaign rally.

[/quote]

LOL…excellent.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

Yeah and your only options are be a “good ally” (which means subservience and “accepting” blame for a bunch of shit you aren’t actually responsibly for) or living in constant reminder of how you’re a lessor person because of your race and sex y the greater of society…

Sounds oddly familiar. [/quote]

Or option three when all else fails, claim you’re transgender and join the struggle for social justice.

[quote]Alrightmiami19c wrote:

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

Sounds oddly familiar. [/quote]

Or option three when all else fails, claim you’re transgender and join the struggle for social justice.
[/quote]

I’m not going to lie here. If this was all the rage it is today, say 15 years ago, I would have considered trying to get into an all girl’s school.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

I think you misunderstand my position. I don’t think mobs of students should be running schools. I think that the fact that the school has such a large pool of emotionally immature, completely un-self reliant, victim seeking students and teachers is proof positive that the school was failing to help produce competent worthwhile adults. I don’t think he should be fired because a drunk frat boy allegedly said something offensive, or someone somewhere wrote something offensive on a bathroom wall. Guess what, that’s the college experience for everyone and you aren’t a special snow flake. Your feelz don’t mean shit in the real world. Learn to deal with it and grow the fuck up. I mean I learned “sticks and stones” in elementary school.