That Burning Feeling

OK, so this is definitely a newbie question, but, how do you know that you are working the muscles enough in an exercise?

I’m not buying into the old “no gain without pain” school, but should there be some sort of burn after a workout?
Should there be a slight stiffness the next day in the muscle group worked, to show it was worked enough?

every time you go to the gym. Break a personal record. Lift more reps or heavier weight. Then you worked your muslces hard enough.

If you have a burning sensation, consult a physician. You probably have gonnorhea.

Depend on how high of volume and how long you have been doing the program. The longer someone is on a program, the less that the person will feel sore the next day. And with volume: the more you work one muscle, the more it is going to get fatigued. Therefore, you will get stiff, but after a while, you body gets accustomed to this as well.

Soreness the next day can be an indication of a good workout but there are other factors that affect this such as how much experience you have with the exercises and how good your nutrition is.

One school of thought its to base your methods on progress. Increasing the amount of reps, sets or weight you use each time you repeat a workout and you will know that you are making progress.

Alternately you can buy into the HIT idea of training for an inroad. THe idea is you train until failure because at that point you know you could not have trained any farther. Some people like that but it is a fast track to burnout or injury if you aren’t careful.

In hte end, the longer you workout the better youw ill have a feel for whether or not a workout was productive.

Progress over time is the best indication. I used to try and KILL myself in the gym, and it got me nowhere. I was overtraining in an effort to feel soreness the next day.

Find a good program that has been successful for others and follow it to the letter. Keep track of your progress on each program you try. I just spent a month on a program that’s not suited to me, and the only way I know is that I didn’t make near the amount of progress as usual.

[quote]Bladerunner13 wrote:
OK, so this is definitely a newbie question, but, how do you know that you are working the muscles enough in an exercise?

I’m not buying into the old “no gain without pain” school, but should there be some sort of burn after a workout?
Should there be a slight stiffness the next day in the muscle group worked, to show it was worked enough?[/quote]

this comes along with personal experience.
here’s some things i notice after a good workout

1. water tastes like heaven
  2. food tastes great
  3. my libido skyrockets… this probably only happens to me
  4. my mind clears
  5. any aches i had are subsided
  6. sleep comes easily
  7. i feel very relaxed
  8. i get drunk a lot quicker if i drink the day of working out :stuck_out_tongue:

next morning…

1. i feel like i got hit by a truck; usually happens when i try a new routine, or push myself over the edge
  2. my body is more plump
  3. i feel bigger than i really am
  4. i wake up starving
  5. my peckers so hard it hurts

but again, this is just me

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:

2. food tastes great
  4. my mind clears
  6. sleep comes easily
  7. i feel very relaxed
  8. i get drunk a lot quicker if i drink the day of working out :stuck_out_tongue:

next morning…

1. i feel like i got hit by a truck; usually happens when i try a new routine, or push myself over the edge
  2. my body is more plump
  4. i wake up starving

[/quote]

Drinking is a bad idea for bodybuilding! Shame shame! Tsk tsk.
Lol

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:
Bladerunner13 wrote:

Should there be a slight stiffness the next day in the muscle group worked, to show it was worked enough?

2. food tastes great
  4. my mind clears
  6. sleep comes easily
  7. i feel very relaxed

next morning…

2. my body is more plump
  4. i wake up starving

[/quote]

waw, i would practically say the same except for the beer and sometimes i find it hard to sleep after working out because my body and mind gets so damn excited by working out, i just find myself thinking myself to sleep, strange but true.

[quote]TRAIN2Failure wrote:
ZeusNathan wrote:
Bladerunner13 wrote:

2. food tastes great
  4. my mind clears
  6. sleep comes easily
  7. i feel very relaxed

next morning…

2. my body is more plump
  4. i wake up starving

waw, i would practically say the same except for the beer and sometimes i find it hard to sleep after working out because my body and mind gets so damn excited by working out, i just find myself thinking myself to sleep, strange but true.[/quote]

Yeah agreed on all of the above other than sleep and booze…I don’t drink ever, so I couldn’t answer that one, and I can never sleep after a good workout…I’m wired for hours and hours, but sex drive, thirst, hunger and that ‘puffy’ feeling the next day are all good signs for me.