T Nation

Thanksgiving Is To God

Hello Everyone!

I thought it appropriate this Thanksgiving Day to remind everyone the reason for this day. The national holiday of Thanksgiving was not instituted to thank indians nor gorge ourselves on Turkey, but to thank Almighty God for His blessings to us. .

Now lest you think that I am just ranting some ‘religious stuff,’ without historical backing, please consider the following quotes from our national history:

On June 20, 1676, the governing council of Charlestown, Massachusetts, held a meeting to determine how best to express thanks for the good fortune that had seen their community securely established. By unamimous vote they instructed Edward Rawson, the clerk, to proclaim June 29 as a day of thanksgiving, our first [in what is now the US] . That proclamation is reproduced here in the same language and spelling as the original:

"The Holy God having by a long and Continual Series of his Afflictive dispensations in and by the present Warr with the Heathen Natives of this land, written and brought to pass bitter things against his own Covenant people in this wilderness, yet so that we evidently discern that in the midst of his judgements he hath remembered mercy, having remembered his Footstool in the day of his sore displeasure against us for our sins, with many singular Intimations of his Fatherly Compassion, and regard; reserving many of our Towns from Desolation Threatened, and attempted by the Enemy, and giving us especially of late with many of our Confederates many signal Advantages against them, without such Disadvantage to ourselves as formerly we have been sensible of, if it be the Lord’s mercy that we are not consumed,

It certainly bespeaks our positive Thankfulness, when our Enemies are in any measure disappointed or destroyed; and fearing the Lord should take notice under so many Intimations of his returning mercy, we should be found an Insensible people, as not standing before Him with Thanksgiving, as well as lading him with our Complaints in the time of pressing

Afflictions:
The Council has thought meet to appoint and set apart the 29th day of this instant June, as a day of Solemn Thanksgiving and praise to God for such his Goodness and Favour, many Particulars of which mercy might be Instanced, but we doubt not those who are sensible of God’s Afflictions, have been as diligent to espy him returning to us; and that the Lord may behold us as a People offering Praise and thereby glorifying Him;

the Council doth commend it to the Respective Ministers, Elders and people of this Jurisdiction; Solemnly and seriously to keep the same Beseeching that being perswaded by the mercies of God we may all, even this whole people offer up our bodies and soulds as a living and acceptable Service unto God by Jesus Christ."


WHEREAS it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favour; and Whereas both Houfes of Congress have, by their joint committee, requefted me “to recommend to the people of the United States a DAY OF PUBLICK THANSGIVING and PRAYER, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to eftablifh a form of government for their safety and happiness:”

NOW THEREFORE, I do recommend and affign THURSDAY, the TWENTY-SIXTH DAY of NOVEMBER next, to be devoted by the people of thefe States to the fervice of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be; that we may then all unite in rendering unto Him our fincere and humble thanksfor His kind care and protection of the people of this country previous to their becoming a nation;

for the fignal and manifold mercies and the favorable interpofitions of His providence in the courfe and conclufion of the late war; for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty which we have fince enjoyed;-- for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enable to eftablish Conftitutions of government for our fafety and happinefs, and particularly the national one now lately instituted;-- for the civil and religious liberty with which we are bleffed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffufing useful knowledge;-- and, in general, for all the great and various favours which He has been pleafed to confer upon us.

And also, that we may then unite in moft humbly offering our prayers and fupplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and befeech Him to pardon our national and other tranfgreffions;-- to enable us all, whether in publick or private ftations, to perform our feveral and relative duties properly and punctually; to render our National Government a bleffing to all the people by conftantly being a Government of wife, juft, and conftitutional laws,

difcreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to protect and guide all fovereigns and nations (especially fuch as have shewn kindnefs unto us); and to blefs them with good governments, peace, and concord; to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increafe of fcience among them and us; and, generally to grant unto all mankind fuch a degree of temporal profperity as he alone knows to be beft.

GIVEN under my hand, at the city of New-York, the third day of October, in the year of our Lord, one thousand feven hundred and eighty-nine.
(signed) G. Washington


Source: The Massachusetts Centinel, Wednesday, October 14, 1789


Abraham Lincoln - 1863

This is the one that marks the beginning of the tradtion of Presidents issuing such proclamations each year. In other words, this is the one that began the Thanksgiving holiday as we know it.

The year that is drawing towards its close, has been filled with the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies. To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are prone to forget the source from which they come, others have been added, which are of so extraordinary a nature, that they cannot fail to penetrate and soften even the heart which is habitually insensible to the ever watchful providence of Almighty God.

In the midst of a civil war of unequalled magnitude and severity, which has sometimes seemed to foreign States to invite and to provoke their aggression, peace has been preserved with all nations, order has been maintained, the laws have been respected and obeyed, and harmony has prevailed everywhere except in the theatre of military conflict; while that theatre has been greatly contracted by the advancing armies and navies of the Union. Needful diversions of wealth and of strength from the fields of peaceful industry to the national defence, have not arrested the plough, the shuttle, or the ship;

the axe had enlarged the borders of our settlements, and the mines, as well of iron and coal as of the precious metals, have yielded even more abundantly than heretofore. Population has steadily increased, notwithstanding the waste that has been made in the camp, the siege and the battle-field; and the country, rejoicing in the consciousness of augmented strength and vigor, is permitted to expect continuance of years with large increase of freedom.
No human counsel hath devised nor hath any mortal hand worked out these great things.

They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God, who, while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy. It has seemed to me fit and proper that they should be solemnly, reverently and gratefully acknowledged as with one heart and voice by the whole American People. I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States,

and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens. And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings, they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to his tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged,

and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquillity and Union.

Abraham Lincoln

History shows us that clearly this holiday was begun so that we, as grateful people, can thank our most beneficient Father for all of His blessings.

So, my friends, my challenge to you is that today, as you sit down for your meal, please remember our most Holy Father who rules and reigns in Heaven. May our sincere thanks be to Him!

Religion is hurful and mean it’s wrong for you mention it because it’s mean and, well, it may be hurful to any ‘non-believers’ who might not believe. Therefore, you shouldn’t believe. No one should. There IS no GOd because it makes a small number of folks feel ‘weird’ about themselves and their place in the world. So, no mention of God.

Unless you are liberal, democrat, and running for office. Then it’s okay.

But just until you get elected.

[quote]Hack Wilson wrote:
Religion is hurful and mean it’s wrong for you mention it because it’s mean and, well, it may be hurful to any ‘non-believers’ who might not believe. Therefore, you shouldn’t believe. No one should. There IS no GOd because it makes a small number of folks feel ‘weird’ about themselves and their place in the world. So, no mention of God.

Unless you are liberal, democrat, and running for office. Then it’s okay.

But just until you get elected.[/quote]

The never ending tirade continues.

I guess I wouldn’t be surprised if some people didn’t actually realize what the idea of “giving thanks” was all about.

[quote]lovehunter wrote:

The never ending tirade continues.
[/quote]

Never-ending tirades tend to.

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was one of those SAT word-association problems.

I was all set to write “Thanksgiving is to God what Kwanzaa is to Shango”…but then I realized that’s not what this thread was about at all. Sorry.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was one of those SAT word-association problems.

I was all set to write “Thanksgiving is to God what Kwanzaa is to Shango”…but then I realized that’s not what this thread was about at all. Sorry.[/quote]

That is a good one. Didn’t see it that at first.

Ummm… it’s still a majorly secular holiday. It’s not about giving thanks to God now, it’s about being thankful all-around.

I’m a realist. Meaning I don’t beleive in a greater being at all. I’m not offended when people talk about God, though I AM offended when god is brought into places he/she/they do/es not belong. I don’t care if Thanksgiving was originally created to thank god. Thats not what I feel during Thanksgiving, and thats not what I accept it’s message to be.

And on a second though, Steveo, this is pure flame tinder. Shit, if this isn’t a cry for a flame war, nothing is.

Troll.

[quote]Hack Wilson wrote:
Religion is hurful and mean it’s wrong for you mention it because it’s mean and, well, it may be hurful to any ‘non-believers’ who might not believe. Therefore, you shouldn’t believe. No one should. There IS no GOd because it makes a small number of folks feel ‘weird’ about themselves and their place in the world. So, no mention of God.

Unless you are liberal, democrat, and running for office. Then it’s okay.

But just until you get elected.[/quote]

Yea, good point. Elton John was just quoted as saying religion hurts people and should be abolished. I guess being a fudge packer never hurt anyone.

LOL

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
I’m not offended when people talk about God, though I AM offended when god is brought into places he/she/they do/es not belong.[/quote]

Well, I’m sure that Steveo will be happy to suggest a place for you to go, where you will never, ever be bothered by God again. Might be a bit hot, though.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
Well, I’m sure that Steveo will be happy to suggest a place for you to go, where you will never, ever be bothered by God again. Might be a bit hot, though.[/quote]

The downside is that in all likelihood, steveo will be there with you.

Oh, and just for your reference, Steveo, in the 18th century, the lowercase letter s was indeed sometimes written so that it resembled a lowercase f, but it looks pretty funny when done in print these days.

Therefore, juft to avoid the poffibility of your text being mifconftrued, you would moft affuredly do better to change the anachroniftic “f” to “s” when tranfcribing documentf from thif period.

Happy Thankfgiving, and may the bleffingf of Jefuf Chrift be upon you.

[quote]Edders wrote:
Yea, good point. Elton John was just quoted as saying religion hurts people and should be abolished. I guess being a fudge packer never hurt anyone.[/quote]

Elton should be thankful that God designed the penis to fit so snugly into the rectum.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
Oh, and just for your reference, Steveo, in the 18th century, the lowercase letter s was indeed sometimes written so that it resembled a lowercase f, but it looks pretty funny when done in print these days.[/quote]

Is that what it is? I thought steveo might have typed that part with his teeth out.

The bright side to steve-o’s holy-day is that if one doesn’t beleive in God they don’t have to spend it at the in-laws eating Great-Aunt Martha’s extra-long, slow-cooked, dried out turkey with all the trimmings; or watching a suck-ass football game with the conservative brother-in-law while sipping that “Champange of Beers” in the made over basement/sanctuary/home theater.

Unfortunately, my wife’s family celebrates the secular holiday…

Thank-you Aunt Martha the turkey was delish.

[quote]pookie wrote:
Varqanir wrote:
Oh, and just for your reference, Steveo, in the 18th century, the lowercase letter s was indeed sometimes written so that it resembled a lowercase f, but it looks pretty funny when done in print these days.

Is that what it is? I thought steveo might have typed that part with his teeth out.
[/quote]

Lol…I just finished a research paper and had to read through a bunch of primary sources (many in the original hand writing). For some reason, I hadn’t previously heard about this, and it was driving me up the wall. Even after I knew what to expect I couldn’t stop myself from making an “f” sound every time I came across an “f” in the place where my mind told me should an “s.”

(sorry for the off-topic anecdote)

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
Ummm… it’s still a majorly secular holiday. It’s not about giving thanks to God now, it’s about being thankful all-around.

I’m a realist. Meaning I don’t beleive in a greater being at all. I’m not offended when people talk about God, though I AM offended when god is brought into places he/she/they do/es not belong. I don’t care if Thanksgiving was originally created to thank god. Thats not what I feel during Thanksgiving, and thats not what I accept it’s message to be.

And on a second though, Steveo, this is pure flame tinder. Shit, if this isn’t a cry for a flame war, nothing is.

Troll.[/quote]

I am sorry that you don’t believe in Almighty God and I am glad that you do recognize why this holiday originated. However you are wrong when you say that it is no longer so. Nobody has recinded Thanksgiving’s original intent. It was and continues to be a Day of Thanksgiving to God .

I thought it was appropriate to point this out with historical fact. That’s all.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
Oh, and just for your reference, Steveo, in the 18th century, the lowercase letter s was indeed sometimes written so that it resembled a lowercase f, but it looks pretty funny when done in print these days.

Therefore, juft to avoid the poffibility of your text being mifconftrued, you would moft affuredly do better to change the anachroniftic “f” to “s” when tranfcribing documentf from thif period.

Happy Thankfgiving, and may the bleffingf of Jefuf Chrift be upon you.[/quote]

Good point, but I left it in since I wanted to be accuate to the historial document.

Many Thankf!

Now that thanksgiving itself is over, I think we can all give thanks every other day of the year… that we aren’t Steveo.

WOOHOO! Thank You! Thank You!

[quote]steveo5801 wrote:
Beowolf wrote:
Ummm… it’s still a majorly secular holiday. It’s not about giving thanks to God now, it’s about being thankful all-around.

I’m a realist. Meaning I don’t beleive in a greater being at all. I’m not offended when people talk about God, though I AM offended when god is brought into places he/she/they do/es not belong. I don’t care if Thanksgiving was originally created to thank god. Thats not what I feel during Thanksgiving, and thats not what I accept it’s message to be.

And on a second though, Steveo, this is pure flame tinder. Shit, if this isn’t a cry for a flame war, nothing is.

Troll.

I am sorry that you don’t believe in Almighty God and I am glad that you do recognize why this holiday originated. However you are wrong when you say that it is no longer so. Nobody has recinded Thanksgiving’s original intent. It was and continues to be a Day of Thanksgiving to God .

I thought it was appropriate to point this out with historical fact. That’s all.
[/quote]

Umm… just because YOU say that it is a holiday of God, doesn’t mean most people celebrate it that way.

So… what’s your point? Just thought you’d share a fun fact? Come on.

You’re trying to imply that America is a Christian nation. Well guess what bub, we we’re founded by Atheists and Theists alike, on principals of seperation between church and state.

So: Shut. The. Fuck. Up.

OR

Give a different point.