T Nation

Thanks Uncle Kraig

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Professor X wrote:
It makes all of the difference in the world. I can’t bring this up at work. They are too busy asking more for the 1,000th time what I’m drinking and why I don’t eat solid food (simply because they see me drinking a protein shake at 10am…which obviously means I don’t eat solid food). I always knew you lied about your vacuum-sealed steaks. Ha!

LOL! That’s coming from people who saw me eating the damn steaks just the day before! It’s like people just say stupid shit to bodybuilders because they don’t know what else to say.

I eat 4 times at work. Three of those are protein shakes.[/quote]

They don’t know what to say because they are scared you will eat them if they make you mad!

Op, the best advice I can give you is to get off of facebook.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Professor X wrote:
It makes all of the difference in the world. I can’t bring this up at work. They are too busy asking more for the 1,000th time what I’m drinking and why I don’t eat solid food (simply because they see me drinking a protein shake at 10am…which obviously means I don’t eat solid food). I always knew you lied about your vacuum-sealed steaks. Ha!

LOL! That’s coming from people who saw me eating the damn steaks just the day before! It’s like people just say stupid shit to bodybuilders because they don’t know what else to say.
[/quote] There definitely seems to be some sort of hard-coded list of lines (If see bodybuilder = true, then vocal response random -stupidstandardresponsestobodybuilderslist.txt- )
people use when meeting anyone who carries more LBM than a bigmac.

That ranges from:
Them, the couch potatoes, warning you, the guy who’s been at it for a decade, about the dangers of lifting which they got out of the latest article in whatever popular magazine or newspaper they read…
To the ones we all love the most:

"Yo, my cousin/brother/uncle/… was is big as you/bigger than you but natural and benches insert totally random number ranging from 1000lbs to 3000 lbs on average. And if you have to ask, yes raw, if that’s the more difficult one.

“I bet you can hardly move with all that muscle”

I won’t list the rest now, we’ve all (everyone over 160 lbs) heard them a million times.

As for food-comments:

I eat a lot of the same stuff over and over as filler to just get the cals in… I also eat extraordinary amounts of fruits and veggies (especially since most fruits are so easy to get down).

Of course, whenever people see me eat a dozen kiwis or so they’ll go “Man, isn’t it boring to eat so healthy all the time? Don’t you ever eat normal food?”

If, on the other hand, I’m chowing down a plateful of pasta, I’ll always get the “You can’t just eat pasta(or Pizza, or Steak, or…) all day and nothing else, that’s not healthy.”

Both said by the same people, quite possibly on the same day.

Whenever I drink a big shake I just lie and say it’s a milk-shake of whatever kind you’d expect to have the matching color.
Then they tell me I’ll surely become diabetic.
There’s no doing it right for these folks.

So yeah, I kind of know what you’re talking about.

Somehow, people always assume that what you are currently eating(/drinking) is the only thing you ever eat(/drink).
They do not apply the same logic to themselves and their own rather amusing eating habits, however.

[quote]
I eat 4 times at work. Three of those are protein shakes.[/quote]
That one solid meal probably has as many calories as they eat throughout the whole day. As far as they are concerned, no one can possibly eat that much. Logic hence dictates that it doesn’t exist.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Professor X wrote:
It makes all of the difference in the world. I can’t bring this up at work. They are too busy asking more for the 1,000th time what I’m drinking and why I don’t eat solid food (simply because they see me drinking a protein shake at 10am…which obviously means I don’t eat solid food). I always knew you lied about your vacuum-sealed steaks. Ha!

LOL! That’s coming from people who saw me eating the damn steaks just the day before! It’s like people just say stupid shit to bodybuilders because they don’t know what else to say.
There definitely seems to be some sort of hard-coded list of lines (If see bodybuilder = true, then vocal response random -stupidstandardresponsestobodybuilderslist.txt- )
people use when meeting anyone who carries more LBM than a bigmac.

That ranges from:
Them, the couch potatoes, warning you, the guy who’s been at it for a decade, about the dangers of lifting which they got out of the latest article in whatever popular magazine or newspaper they read…
To the ones we all love the most:

"Yo, my cousin/brother/uncle/… was is big as you/bigger than you but natural and benches insert totally random number ranging from 1000lbs to 3000 lbs on average. And if you have to ask, yes raw, if that’s the more difficult one.

“I bet you can hardly move with all that muscle”

I won’t list the rest now, we’ve all (everyone over 160 lbs) heard them a million times.

As for food-comments:

I eat a lot of the same stuff over and over as filler to just get the cals in… I also eat extraordinary amounts of fruits and veggies (especially since most fruits are so easy to get down).

Of course, whenever people see me eat a dozen kiwis or so they’ll go “Man, isn’t it boring to eat so healthy all the time? Don’t you ever eat normal food?”

If, on the other hand, I’m chowing down a plateful of pasta, I’ll always get the “You can’t just eat pasta(or Pizza, or Steak, or…) all day and nothing else, that’s not healthy.”

Both said by the same people, quite possibly on the same day.

Whenever I drink a big shake I just lie and say it’s a milk-shake of whatever kind you’d expect to have the matching color.
Then they tell me I’ll surely become diabetic.
There’s no doing it right for these folks.

So yeah, I kind of know what you’re talking about.

Somehow, people always assume that what you are currently eating(/drinking) is the only thing you ever eat(/drink).
They do not apply the same logic to themselves and their own rather amusing eating habits, however.

I eat 4 times at work. Three of those are protein shakes.
That one solid meal probably has as many calories as they eat throughout the whole day. As far as they are concerned, no one can possibly eat that much. Logic hence dictates that it doesn’t exist.

[/quote]

One guy told me that he’d life when I die young even though I eat healthy. I mean apart from that being kinda a dick thing to say, it doesn’t even make sense as justification to eat like crap.

[quote]Standard Donkey wrote:
dude waylander if you hopped on aas you’d be a beast of epic proportions[/quote]

Hah I’ve been hopped on for about 10 weeks now, my avatar is about 15 lbs old lol. I’ll throw some new ones up in May when I turn 20, shooting for 300 lbs whoop whoop.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]dre wrote:
Professor X wrote:
dre wrote:
Professor X wrote:
dre wrote:
I feel your pain Waylander, I don’t even talk to my family about my training anymore because they just don’t get it.

I’m starting to get more into strongman shit and my bro-in-law rips on me all the time for it. Which is really annoying considering he is 350+ lbs.

Join the club. I come to websites like this BECAUSE there are few people around me I can even talk about this with on any serious level. Luckily I now train around a few serious people so that gives somewhat of an outlet.

That “warmed up with 400+lbs” comment was funny as hell.

I’m still trying to find some guys around here that I can train with, so far nothing. Luckily my wife understands why I do this.

It makes all of the difference in the world. I can’t bring this up at work. They are too busy asking more for the 1,000th time what I’m drinking and why I don’t eat solid food (simply because they see me drinking a protein shake at 10am…which obviously means I don’t eat solid food).

I know that in the gym, at least I am around more people like me.

Hell, I don’t even feel that on THIS site. How many people here actually stand out?

Not to keep hijacking Waylander’s thread but there are more people on this site that stand out than there are in the gym that I train in. There is one guy that makes me feel small, that’s it. It sucks.[/quote]

Start training at north. We have a few bigger guys, and I saw a guy make a legit attempt at iirc 5 plates on the bench.

Plus, we have at least two ex powerlifters who are there on a regular basis.

everybody in this thread should move to long island and go to my gym.=] you guys would fit right in lol seriously ha

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
The Mighty Stu wrote:
BUT if one of my younger students asks me about them, I repeat the same BS lies that you hear in the media (which i don;t actually believe, but feel it’s probably the best answer at the moment).

S

Couldn’t you say something like: “As with nearly all drugs, there can be safe, responsible use or there can be dangerous abuse.”

If they seem open to that, you could go a little further with “From what I’ve seen, it takes a lot of knowledge and learning to be able to use performance enhancers safely and responsibly and this is why some people get into trouble with them; they shortcut the learning and go straight to the abuse.”

Or something like that, lol. It just seems a shame that you can’t step away from the general BS and at least give these guys an inkling of the truth, without possibly being labelled as a ‘steroid abuser’.

BBB[/quote]

Well, with all the paranoia these days,… it’d be nice, but erring on the side of caution,… or at least self-preservation (my job! -lol), the last thing I need is some kid blaming his idiocity on “what his teacher said was okay”.

S

when do you plan on competing? at 6’2 268 you arent far off unless you want to be 300+ first. idk, if DG competes at 220 you can compete @ 270 but you have no Lower body pics so idk.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
when do you plan on competing? at 6’2 268 you arent far off unless you want to be 300+ first. idk, if DG competes at 220 you can compete @ 270 but you have no Lower body pics so idk.[/quote]

My legs are lagging but not by much, I mean I’m front squatting 350x5 right now, so it’s not like they don’t exist lol. It’s just impossible to take a decent pic with my cellphone if I include the lower body. I’d have to back up really far and then you couldn’t see anything. I’ll get some up eventually.

My original plan was to reach 285 then cut, but I may just hold out for 300. IDK yet. Every year I’ve been lifting I’ve gained at least 20 lbs so I don’t feel the need to stop something good I have going.

He had a leg pic on his profile at one point, look to be pretty damn good, esp for a taller guy.

on a smaller scale…my bio father is a vegetarian, he’s 62 years old and still does manual labor, house renovation, and he works and runs a moving business, he humps couches up and down stairs all day.

his diet: peanut butter sandwiches and coffee, WTF, I know! he drinks like 4 oz. of water a day, i’ve gone into the bathroom after him and it stinks like a cat box, the guy is dehydrated 24/7.

As i said he’s 62 yrs old, here’s the other stats which tie this story into the original post, he’s 6’2" and 140lbs soaking wet. I know WTF?

Anyway, when left NY to move to VT in 2006 i was 148lbs myself!!!

I saw him for the first time in over two years and now weigh 55lbs more. Immediately began the rants about steroids, over eating, the unhealthy nature of being large.

my father is athletic, a scratch golfer and was a college basketball player DivII., but he looks like a a third world refuge.

Everything is relative because at 6’ ft and 203lbs, some of you fuckers make me feel like a third world refuge.

i’m sure when i hit 220lbs there will be an intervention.

[quote]WS4JB wrote:
He had a leg pic on his profile at one point, look to be pretty damn good, esp for a taller guy.[/quote]

Thanks man I still have a ton of work to do though. You guys wanna see something funny? I was looking through old pics and this is me like 2 1/2 years ago. I’m the one with the K on his chest lol, so embarassing.

[quote]cyruseven75 wrote:

i’m sure when i hit 220lbs there will be an intervention.

[/quote]

There isn’t.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
when do you plan on competing? at 6’2 268 you arent far off unless you want to be 300+ first. idk, if DG competes at 220 you can compete @ 270 but you have no Lower body pics so idk.[/quote]

DG also said 220 is too small. I think he is aiming to be like 240+ for his next comp.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
when do you plan on competing? at 6’2 268 you arent far off unless you want to be 300+ first. idk, if DG competes at 220 you can compete @ 270 but you have no Lower body pics so idk.

My legs are lagging but not by much, I mean I’m front squatting 350x5 right now, so it’s not like they don’t exist lol. It’s just impossible to take a decent pic with my cellphone if I include the lower body. I’d have to back up really far and then you couldn’t see anything. I’ll get some up eventually.

My original plan was to reach 285 then cut, but I may just hold out for 300. IDK yet. Every year I’ve been lifting I’ve gained at least 20 lbs so I don’t feel the need to stop something good I have going.[/quote]

idk man, truthfully id say it might be worth it to a contest just to do a contest and even if you dont win, youll more confident next time. i think a lot of ppl say “oh ill do a show in +20 pounds” then its always 20 more and 20 more and they just never compete

if you really wanna be a pro you gotta do a show at some point bruhtha

[quote]hardgnr wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
when do you plan on competing? at 6’2 268 you arent far off unless you want to be 300+ first. idk, if DG competes at 220 you can compete @ 270 but you have no Lower body pics so idk.

DG also said 220 is too small. I think he is aiming to be like 240+ for his next comp.[/quote]

never said he couldnt add more weight, i agree that DG would look better w/ more mass too. it really is crazy how much weight you lose for a show. im just saying, Waylander might wanna get his toes wet a lil bit.

[quote]hardgnr wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
when do you plan on competing? at 6’2 268 you arent far off unless you want to be 300+ first. idk, if DG competes at 220 you can compete @ 270 but you have no Lower body pics so idk.

DG also said 220 is too small. I think he is aiming to be like 240+ for his next comp.[/quote]

p.s. 270 on a 6’2 frame is about the same as 250 on a 6’ft frame.

Yah Live I see what you’re saying, I just want to get my proportions and symmetry more in line before I do it. I also don’t want to be light enough that guys who are much shorter than me can compete in the same weight class. If that happens, I’m most likely fucked.

If I am able to compete heavier, especially at a lower level, the guys will probably either be my height or just a few inches shorter, which gives me a better chance of winning.

there is a local show here like August 8th, some people are pushing me to compete, we’ll see what improvements I have made when it gets close to that date.