Thank You to T-Nation

About 7 weeks ago, I made a post outlining a diet I was following. I believe the total calories exceeded 8,000. About a week into this diet, I switched everything up. I began following a modified version of Dr. Berardi’s diet from the HoIllywood Muscle article. It began like this:

Meal 1 (8AM): 6 eggs, 2 cups oats
Meal 2 (9:30-10:30): 3 pb&j sandwiches
Meal 3 (12PM): 2 ground beef patties, 2 cups oats
Meal 4 (1:30-2:30PM): 3 pb&j sandwiches
Meal 5 (4PM): 2 ground beef patties, 2 cups oats
Meal 6 (5:30-6:30PM): 3 pb&j sandwiches
Meal 7 (8PM): 6 eggs, 2 cups oats
Meal 8 (9PM): 1 pb&j sandwich
I worked out on a 6-day split, alternating ub & lb lifting days with Sundays off. This list does not mention workout nutrition, but it’s in there.

In the 7 weeks that have transpired, I have made several changes, mostly inspired by things I’ve read on here and also kinks that needed to be worked out. Here is the diet I am currently following:

(Workout nutrition only applicable during the 3 workout days)
6AM-7AM: lift while sipping 32oz gatorade & 2 scoops whey in water
7AM: 64oz gatorade, 3 scoops ON whey in water
8AM: 2 beef patties, 3 cups oats
9:30AM: 3 peanut butter on whole wheat sandwiches with whole milk & 1 scoop of whey
12PM: 12 eggs, 2 cups oats
1:30PM: 3 pb sandwiches & milk/whey
4PM: 2 beef patties, 2 cups oats
5:30PM: 3 pb sandwiches & milk/whey
8PM: 12 eggs, 1 cup oats
9PM: 1 pb sandwich & milk/whey

By the end of the day, I’ve finished a gallon of whole milk and 2 gallons of water. I’m doing Waterbury’s Total Body Training, and following a diet similar to the aforementioned Berardi diet.

Clearly, this is a T-Nation-inspired bulking program. My current diet is over 11,000 calories, I believe. I think the 2 gallons of water actually helps with satiety. In the 7 weeks, I have gained 27 pounds, with a negligible amount of fat. I am a staunch proponent of Dr. B’s G-Flux principles; I do a ton of cardio, but not for fat loss (obviously). I run three times daily (two quick ones each in the morning/night for stretching sessions, and also during track workouts), shadowbox/skip rope (do BJJ once a week), and swim daily. I’m going to add some stationary bike work as well, although I may take next week off from most of the cardio, because I am deathly afraid of CNS fatigue from all this activity.

I will post some before and after pics right before I go back to school, but I have to say that I could not be happier with my results. The knowledge I gained from reading through forum posts and articles on this site has helped immeasurably. I actually plan to continue bulking through April of next year, with the hopes of weighing 200lbs after a 2 month cut for summer. That very well may be too heavy for a 400m runner, but I might end up playing football junior year along with track if the strength keeps increasing like it is (and i know it won’t lol).

In conclusion, words cannot describe how much I appreciate the wealth of information on this site. Granted, muscle doesn’t make the world go 'round, but for many (myself included) it can make for a huge confidence booster. Thanks again to both those who replied to my original post, as well as anyone who has contributed to the think-tank that is T-Nation.

-Matt

P.S. I used to think I was an ectomorph, but I’m starting to think I may be ecto-meso. It’s scary to think about how muscular “hardgainers” would be if they just knew what they were doing…and for those who wonder how I eat so much, I took a semester off from school for personal reasons. I have plenty of time on my hands to eat, train, and sleep because I work and go to school part-time, much like the actor scenario in the Hollywood Muscle article.

Looks like assloads of Whey, but otherwise looks great and I’m happy that you’re so pleased with your results.

Hard work pays off and it looks like you’re paying your dues.

Thanks for sharing, inspiring.
It takes a lot of dedication to work out that much and eat that much.
A lot of people become lazy during a break, but you did the opposite.
Two thumbs up!