Thank You, Senator Kerry

[quote]Marmadogg wrote:
MaloVerde wrote:
Marmadogg wrote:
Kerry is as big if not a bigger idiot than Bush but what he said verses what the Bush claimed he said are two entirely different things.

Kerry said:

“You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don’t, you (ie Bush) get stuck in Iraq.”

The statement was not well crafted but I never took it to mean that Kerry thinks our troops are uneducated because they went to Iraq. He we trying to bust his fraternity brother’s balls.

This just proves that HH and Hack don’t think for themselves.

Did you guys buy your diplomas off the ‘Internets’? Did you find the using ‘the Google’?

You are delusional. Kerry has yet to deny or even clarify the intent of the comment and blames Reps for stirring the pot!

You are a Lemming.

You are a Freetard and wrong.

Imus transcript (November 1, 2006):

IMUS: It was my inclination to try to defend you in this, and I said, I think I know what he meant, I mean it’s clear what he meant. But I had to acknowledge in my conversation with Charles that that’s not what you said.

KERRY: Of course it isn’t what I said. I left out one word, I left out the word us. They got us stuck. Instead of that, I said they got stuck. And they’re taking advantage of it. And here’s what’s wrong.

IMUS: Why not apologize for the misunderstanding?

KERRY: I did, I said it was a botched joke, of course I’m sorry about a botched joke. You think I love botched jokes? It’s pretty stupid.

I would be the first person to kick Kerry’s ass if he actually said what you and the rest of the right wingnuttery claim he said.

Both Kerry and his classmate/fraternity brother Bush are inarticulate C-grade students.[/quote]

Is this it?

We are only hearing the ramblings and flailings of poor, little marm.

Imagine how up in arms marm would be if Boehner or McCain made the exact same comments. He would be frothing at the mouth. Oh, he would throw in the obligate, “democrats suck” at the end of his Anti-Republican diatribe. (just to let us know how “independent” he is).

Are there no democrats who will actually stand up and castigate kerry for this?

It’s not like kerry’s impugned the military before. Oh, wait…

It’s illustrative to note that only one democrat has actually responded to this thread.

Remember how quickly the Republicans on this board denounced rush limbaugh’s recent comments?

What do we hear from lumpy/pox/tme/zeppie?

Crickets…

JeffR

[quote]JeffR wrote:
Marmadogg wrote:
MaloVerde wrote:
Marmadogg wrote:
Kerry is as big if not a bigger idiot than Bush but what he said verses what the Bush claimed he said are two entirely different things.

Kerry said:

“You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don’t, you (ie Bush) get stuck in Iraq.”

The statement was not well crafted but I never took it to mean that Kerry thinks our troops are uneducated because they went to Iraq. He we trying to bust his fraternity brother’s balls.

This just proves that HH and Hack don’t think for themselves.

Did you guys buy your diplomas off the ‘Internets’? Did you find the using ‘the Google’?

You are delusional. Kerry has yet to deny or even clarify the intent of the comment and blames Reps for stirring the pot!

You are a Lemming.

You are a Freetard and wrong.

Imus transcript (November 1, 2006):

IMUS: It was my inclination to try to defend you in this, and I said, I think I know what he meant, I mean it’s clear what he meant. But I had to acknowledge in my conversation with Charles that that’s not what you said.

KERRY: Of course it isn’t what I said. I left out one word, I left out the word us. They got us stuck. Instead of that, I said they got stuck. And they’re taking advantage of it. And here’s what’s wrong.

IMUS: Why not apologize for the misunderstanding?

KERRY: I did, I said it was a botched joke, of course I’m sorry about a botched joke. You think I love botched jokes? It’s pretty stupid.

I would be the first person to kick Kerry’s ass if he actually said what you and the rest of the right wingnuttery claim he said.

Both Kerry and his classmate/fraternity brother Bush are inarticulate C-grade students.

Is this it?

We are only hearing the ramblings and flailings of poor, little marm.

Imagine how up in arms marm would be if Boehner or McCain made the exact same comments. He would be frothing at the mouth. Oh, he would throw in the obligate, “democrats suck” at the end of his Anti-Republican diatribe. (just to let us know how “independent” he is).

Are there no democrats who will actually stand up and castigate kerry for this?

It’s not like kerry’s impugned the military before. Oh, wait…

It’s illustrative to note that only one democrat has actually responded to this thread.

Remember how quickly the Republicans on this board denounced rush limbaugh’s recent comments?

What do we hear from lumpy/pox/tme/zeppie?

Crickets…

JeffR

[/quote]

Good point! Liberals will never, ever castigate one of their own for doing something rotten. Mainly because they do not view it as rotten, or wrong, or even mis-guided.

Republicans are trained to issue the obligatory mea culpa. It’s what we do! “I was wrong! Forgive me!” For some reason we want to forgiven and liked - even by liberals. Don’t know why that is.

Liberals respond the other way. With bluster and more lies and bullshit. I think it’s because they know that they have a huge defense network: Other liberals. If the offending liberal is black: It’s racism.

Gay: Homophobia. Does’t matter if the liberal called New York “Hymie Town” or Promoted his gay lover to to head of Homeland Security or ran a gay brothel out of his DC apartment. Question it? You’re a bigot or a gay-baiter.

If you are a liberal you can DO NO wrong. And you don’t get called on it by other liberals. They’ll go down lying for you.

I know why HH, Hack, and JerkoffR are so up in arms about Kerry’s gaff…not to worry.

Kerry’s statement will not change anything.

The GOP will retain both the house and the senate, but they will lose seats in both the house and the senate.

It will be business as usual.

If you want to make Kerry the face of the Democratic party then be my guest. I don’t care because you and the politicians are all losers.

F’ing pathetic.

http://www.drudgereport.com/

[quote]Marmadogg wrote:

This only proves that you hate Kerry even though your asthma kept you from serving. You are worse than the ABB’ers as Kerry has no power and will never be president.

You are a pathetic waste of a pseudo-American.[/quote]

Mamadog,

I’ve never heard a word about you serving or attempting to serve. Perhaps a tinge of yellow on the spine…?

And if your going to attempt an insult, how is someone a ‘waste of a pseudo-American’? Isn’t a pseudo-American already a waste? Of course, you should know more about that than anyone.

Kerry may have meant to make an anti-Bush crack. In fact, I would give odds that he did mean to do so – he’s not a rocket scientist, but he certainly wouldn’t have been stupid enough to have intended to make fun of the troops. If he did mean it, he might have meant to be making a double-entendre point with the intended Bush joke – you know, the tired and wrong critique you hear from a lot of liberals from the 70s about how the army is made up of the poor and uneducated (it was wrong in Viet Nam and its even more wrong now).

Unfortunately, for him particularly, the plainest reading of what came out of his mouth was an anti-troops crack. So, immediately after the brouhaha arose, he should have said that he botched the line and never meant to insult the troops. That wouldn’t have ended the story, since it’s too good for Republicans to let go, but it would have caused it to die down considerably.

Instead, he gets up and says that anyone who took his comment as an insult to the troops must be a nutjob. That was the kicker – most particularly because the direct quote of what he said could plainly be read as an insult to the troops, and was taken that way by a lot of people. Going on Imus the next day, after all the coverage of his remark and his initial reaction, was too little too late. Ann Richards may have said this line about George H.W. Bush, but it seems more appropriate for Kerry: “Poor [John]; he was born with a silver foot in his mouth.”

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:
Kerry may have meant to make an anti-Bush crack. In fact, I would give odds that he did mean to do so – he’s not a rocket scientist, but he certainly wouldn’t have been stupid enough to have intended to make fun of the troops. If he did mean it, he might have meant to be making a double-entendre point with the intended Bush joke – you know, the tired and wrong critique you hear from a lot of liberals from the 70s about how the army is made up of the poor and uneducated (it was wrong in Viet Nam and its even more wrong now).

Unfortunately, for him particularly, the plainest reading of what came out of his mouth was an anti-troops crack. So, immediately after the brouhaha arose, he should have said that he botched the line and never meant to insult the troops. That wouldn’t have ended the story, since it’s too good for Republicans to let go, but it would have caused it to die down considerably.

Instead, he gets up and says that anyone who took his comment as an insult to the troops must be a nutjob. That was the kicker – most particularly because the direct quote of what he said could plainly be read as an insult to the troops, and was taken that way by a lot of people. Going on Imus the next day, after all the coverage of his remark and his initial reaction, was too little too late. Ann Richards may have said this line about George H.W. Bush, but it seems more appropriate for Kerry: “Poor [John]; he was born with a silver foot in his mouth.” [/quote]

BB hit the nail right on the head.

You gotta love the US Democratic Party.

Haven’t met an election they can’t lose yet!

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:
[/quote]

My initial reaction was that he was insulting the intelligence of soldiers. But his explanation of “botched joke” makes more sense now, considering the facts that criticizing soldiers is political suicide and also because he was was a soldier himself.

I can see how “stuck in Iraq” would apply better to Bush than the troops (troops can come and go, while Bush still has to deal with Iraq). So is it a lame joke or one of the stupidest things a politician has ever said? I understand that he’s a hack, but I don’t think he’s that dumb to include something like that in a scripted speech. Maybe it was an attempt at “Daily Show” humor to connect with the college crowd.

[quote]pookie wrote:

[/quote]

Maybe, but Kerry’s gaff brings the Iraq debate front and center.

That is not such a good thing for the GOP right now.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Thank you, Senator…just…thank you![/quote]

Is it his fault the Bush Admin is too stupid to get who the joke was aimed at?

Let’s not forget that only 140,000 of 2 million troops are in Iraq which means that if he were making fun of the intelligence of the military he would only be making fun of 7% of them.

[quote]Marmadogg wrote:
pookie wrote:

That is not such a good thing for the GOP right now.[/quote]

Yeah, but voters are like goldfishes sometimes. You know, the 3 second memory. So while voting next week, they might remember Kerry’s bad joke while forgetting about Bush’s bad war.

I would credit the voters with more intelligence than that, but I’ve found I tend to make much better predictions if I assume they’re a large crowd of drooling idiots.

Maybe Kerry should’ve said “you can work hard, stay in school, study, do your homework; or you can become president.”

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

Let’s not forget that only 140,000 of 2 million troops are in Iraq which means that if he were making fun of the intelligence of the military he would only be making fun of 7% of them.[/quote]

Since when is the US Army 2 million troops?

Maybe I need to update my info, but I thought the US Army was around 1 million men, with about 40% of those being actual combat soldier (the rest being support and supply personel.)

[quote]pookie wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

Let’s not forget that only 140,000 of 2 million troops are in Iraq which means that if he were making fun of the intelligence of the military he would only be making fun of 7% of them.

Since when is the US Army 2 million troops?

Maybe I need to update my info, but I thought the US Army was around 1 million men, with about 40% of those being actual combat soldier (the rest being support and supply personel.)
[/quote]

Total military–not just the army. I believe all branches are deployed there.

.5 mil Army
.5 mil Navy
.5 mil Air force
.2 mil USMC
.8 mil Reserve (approx)

as of 2003–not sure what the current numbers are.

[quote]pookie wrote:
Marmadogg wrote:
pookie wrote:

That is not such a good thing for the GOP right now.

Yeah, but voters are like goldfishes sometimes. You know, the 3 second memory. So while voting next week, they might remember Kerry’s bad joke while forgetting about Bush’s bad war.

I would credit the voters with more intelligence than that, but I’ve found I tend to make much better predictions if I assume they’re a large crowd of drooling idiots.
[/quote]

Kerry apologized already and Democrats will cite that and spend their remaining time talking about what a mess Iraq is.

If Americans don’t believe Kerry apologized yet then we really are as stupid as the rest of the world sees us.

[quote]4est wrote:
http://www.drudgereport.com/

[/quote]

Hah! That’s awesome!

To all those that believe the media is biased left… all you have to do is look at how much airtime they give such a minor issue.

That is not a pro-left activity!

However, because it works so well for some of you retards, the republicans are more than happy to blow this widely out of proportion.

You know, I have a hard time understanding his explanaition. Bush is the brunt of the joke?

For the sake of arguement, let’s agree his intent was to make Bush the brunt of the joke.

First, while debates often become heated, why would a Senator claim the president was lazy and uneducated (remember, similar education), and that’s why we’re in Iraq? There’s room for plenty of rancor, but that’s a bit far.

Look, I’m not talking about what we say anonymous on this forum. I’m talking about elected officials. That’s getting down to a “no, you’re the doo-doo head” level. Hell, I think “rash,” “badly mishandled,” etc. are fair game. I disagree, but I believe it’s reasonable (and still statesmen like) for opponents to use such terms. But not what he was “trying” to say.

Second, he voted to give Bush the discretion to go to war. In fact, Howard Dean went after him, Edwards, and Lieberman on that very issue.

Because he would have handled the war different? Would he have left right after sacking Baghdad? I’ve never seen him claim that. And, I don’t believe the insurgency would have welcomed him with open arms, either.

Ok, I’ll buy that he flubbed his joke, fine. It still doesn’t make any sense.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Thank you, Senator…just…thank you!

Is it his fault the Bush Admin is too stupid to get who the joke was aimed at?

Let’s not forget that only 140,000 of 2 million troops are in Iraq which means that if he were making fun of the intelligence of the military he would only be making fun of 7% of them.[/quote]

Why was he makes jokes using a war, one of humanity’s ultimate tragedies, as fodder for his humor? Does he hate Bush THAT much? Using war to insult and demean the president?

So, he either insulted our troops or used war as political cannon fodder. How will history judge the man?