Thailand Nutrition

[qoute]these little fried tentacle things[/qoute]

I believe you eating their version of fired calamari.

In Health,

Silas C.

Not to sound totally grimey (although I am), but I can see where it could be possible that some sort of vitamin/nutrient/mineral in the cockroach’s biochemistry is what has allowed it to survive for so long. Hence eating it might have some sort of healthful benefits. However, unless I was on a gameshow/getting paid I wouldn’t partake either.

Chris,

That was def a great article. Very informative-- protein banned but gear OTC? I’m thinkin we could trade them some low carb grow for dbol. I want to go after seing the sex ads and fine thai broads everywhere. That chick at the pool table looks like the “black widow” on ESPN pool tourneys.

Oh they’re waterbugs, not roaches. Oh sure, now I’d eat them! :slight_smile: Moose, how did you end up living in Pattaya?

I’d live in Pattaya over Bangkok for sure. The views from my hotels in Bangkok were usually of alleys and dead dogs. This was the view from my place in Pattaya. Pretty cool little town.

There’s a lot of cool history in Bangkok though. This is my buddy/translator/photographer at one of the palaces.

After viewing this sight and spending maybe five minutes there, one guy in my group said, “Okay, we’ve done the cultural shit, now bring on the beer and women!”

That’s the problem with Bangkok. Some people go there to absorb the culture and get spiritual, but they end up in go-go bars and short time hotel rooms the whole day! At least wait until nightfall man!

I should read over those Thailand trilogy articles again, as I might be doing a two year masters program over there starting in the summer of 2005.

chris shugart: glad you didn’t"partake"
in boyz town… the country and some
others cater to pedophiles and make these poor children sex slaves no matter
the age and its very disturbing to see
such garbage peddled in the open and hope that these children are rescued and that the perps are caught. visiting
the country must of been nice, then again we see the bad side of as well.

BArton

Yes, I wrote about the dark side in the article series linked above. Luckily, most of that has been cleaned up by several different organizations, including an expat group.

Boys Town is the gay area, BTW, so there wasn’t a chance of “partaking” there, though I did walk through it. Scary. Most go-go bars won’t hire girls under 20 these days, but all the boys running around Boys Town (which is one street really) looked 15.

Davo2
I first got here 1988 backpacking through Asia/Australia and fell in love with the country. Sounds stupid but everybody (well maybe 99%)who have been here says they’ll come back. Total I spent app. 3 years backpacking, (between 87 and 93) and 95 when I felt I’ve had enough of Sweden, where I’m originally from, I planned to move to Australia but met a girl here in Pattaya. We were working out in the same gym and ended up living together for 5 years. Have been here 8,5 years so far and have no plans moving back to Sweden. I’m supporting myself by teaching diving. Check out our website neptunedive.com I’m the owner of the Jomtienshop. Nothing that makes you rich but it’s a bloody good life.

Bartonmlee.
Have you ever been to Thailand?? “Boyztown” is a gay district and have nothing to do with pedophiles. Thailand have very strict laws against sex with minors and they enforce them. You’re right that it was a different story 10 years ago but that have changed. Thailand is working very hard to “clean up” it’s reputation.

Chris.

By law everybody working in the “sexindustry” have to be atleast 18 years old. If not they get arrested and the barowner get a heavy fine and might be forced to close down aswell. With the “freelancers” it’s different. No direct control, be aware of fake IDs since if she’s underage you’re legally a pedophile and will serve some serious time!! Thai prisons are NOT “nice”!

Cool story about how you ended up in Thailand, Moose. Makes my life seem boring!

Davo2

It’s up to you, only you. If you’re not happy with your life, why don’t you change? I know it can be difficult if your married and have kids but if not, there’s no excuse for going on being unhappy!

Chris~
Sounds like you had a neat experience there and got right in there with the culture…what an experience! [“Wow, she’s stunning. . . and she’s eating a cockroach.”] Would you kiss a girl like that after she ate the aforementioned bug?? Just kidding!

One of my coworker doctors runs a medical mission, and they went there a couple of years ago. The country clinic they worked there had different “standards” for sterility. My friends said the nurses there re-used the latex gloves, they rinsed them off in water, line-dried them, then reused them on another patient. Same for medical instruments, operating tables, etc. My girlfriend brought a couple of boxes of protein bars for herself, and the kids there went crazy for them, so she cut them up in fourths and gave them away to the children.

I think it’s beneficial when we as Amercians see how people live in third world countries. We have it so good here and are lucky to live in the U.S.A.

Take care Chris!

Love and Aloha,
chinadoll

Chris~
Those temple photos are beautiful…
~chinadoll

Chinadoll, I’ve never been to the States but I grew up in Sweden and I’ve spent quite some time in Australia and I’m 100% sure I rather live here in Thailand, even though it’s a 3:rd world country, than any other place. They might eat bugs and have a totally crazy ways of doing things.(Chris can probably tell you a few things about the traffic!!) This is my home!

You’re right about the temples, they are beautiful. Too bad photos can’t really show how impressive they are. Any plans of going to Thailand yourself? I’m sure you’ll love it.

Moose, I’m happy, but teaching diving in a Thailand beach town just sounds really exotic and exciting compared to being in an office all day! Props to ya!

Davo2, You’re right, it IS a great life living/working here. Imagine being paid to do your hobby in a tropical paradise! But it’s starting to be quite hard to make a living here, Sep 11:th, the bomb in the Bali-disco, war in Iraq, SARS and now the birdflu. Less and less tourists every year. But it can only get better??

Somebody want to buy a diveshop??

Moose,

I know what you mean! Although the destination itself is never really the “scary” part, going through airports can be terrible after all those incidences, which I suspect ruins tourism for some. Since I travel in the summer, I get dark skinned from tanning, and with my dark hair and the fact I grow a beard within a day, I am hassled a lot by security guards. I even had to take my pants off at the Tacoma-Seattle airport for a “bomb check.” Incheon airport in Korea wasn’t any better for me (while coming back from China).

And as I am going to Korea this summer, I have been told that I should shave my ENTIRE body and face, carry an electric razor on me to shave off any stubble, and dye my hair blonde… along with dressing a “certain way”…

Basically, I get to blame international politics for making me meterosexual! cries