Thai Ridgeback Dog

Anyone know anything about these dogs?

We got a dog from a shelter and they told us he was Basenji/Corgi mix. We took him to a trainer and she’s telling us he’s a Thai Ridgeback and to basically take him back to the shelter/run for our lives.

Thanks.

Do you have kids?
Have you had dogs before?

Any Ridgeback can become a loyal family pet but the owner(s) have to be consistent. They like to room and hunt and they could be aggressive when not trained.

“run for your lives”?, that’s somewhat of an odd statement from a trainer. I know several guys who own ridgebacks and they are a lot of work, and need a lot of exercise, but none of them have problems. Strong willed dogs though, and you, as the owner need to really assert yourself as the master. Even more so when you have kids. You need to teach this dog to protect your family, that is what they are bred for.

Good luck

Looks like a corgi mix (don’t know what else) but mutts are generally good anyway. Can’t tell from the photo, does the fur run “against the grain” on his back? I have a neighbor with a ridgeback (sample of one is very scientific) and its a good dog, a little passive aggressive. It greets other dogs in a crouch and then pops up to do general dog greetings. Has to wear a stupid fleece in the winter.

Also, find another trainer unless your dog immediately bit him on first meeting.

[quote]IamMarqaos wrote:
Do you have kids?

Any Ridgeback can become a loyal family pet but the owner(s) have to be consistent. They like to room and hunt and they could be aggressive when not trained.

“run for your lives”?, that’s somewhat of an odd statement from a trainer. I know several guys who own ridgebacks and they are a lot of work, and need a lot of exercise, but none of them have problems. Strong willed dogs though, and you, as the owner need to really assert yourself as the master. Even more so when you have kids. You need to teach this dog to protect your family, that is what they are bred for.

Good luck[/quote]

This, my only exception is the protection bit.

You don’t ever, ever train a dog to protect, if you mean attack when you say protect. Warn you by barking, yes. Protecting otherwise, no. And certainly not this breed.

Otherwise this post is spot fucking on. Dog is a lot of work, and a total penis about some things, but he is very trainable (smart) and respectful IF he respects you, lol. He can smell fear a mile away and will let anyone know they are below him on the “depth chart” that fears him.

Ours is a ridgeback/rotty mix.

Great pup, but has his problems.

I will say best thing we ever did is two walks a day. One upon waking, as in roll out of bed, put on pants, strap his leash on and go. I don’t even piss most mornings. And then another at night when we get home from work.

I would have thought it unlikely to find a Thai Ridgeback in a shelter even in the US, but would understand shelter staff not being able to recognise one.

I don’t know about “run for your life”, but they are certainly not your average pet dog. It is important not to confuse them with the Rhodesian Ridgeback, which is a completely different breed with a completely different temperament. It would depend a lot on how true to type your dog is.

It might be worth checking out some of the TRD forums, I won’t link here because it may be against forum rules.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]IamMarqaos wrote:
Do you have kids?

Good luck[/quote]

This, my only exception is the protection bit.

You don’t ever, ever train a dog to protect, if you mean attack when you say protect. Warn you by barking, yes. Protecting otherwise, no. And certainly not this breed.

Otherwise this post is spot fucking on. Dog is a lot of work, and a total penis about some things, but he is very trainable (smart) and respectful IF he respects you, lol. He can smell fear a mile away and will let anyone know they are below him on the “depth chart” that fears him.

Ours is a ridgeback/rotty mix.

Great pup, but has his problems.[/quote]

Sorry if I caused confusion. I did not mean ‘attack’ = protect. I meant protect in the sense of ‘guard’ and ‘watch over’.

[quote]IamMarqaos wrote:
Sorry if I caused confusion. I did not mean ‘attack’ = protect. I meant protect in the sense of ‘guard’ and ‘watch over’.[/quote]

Even that is a dangerous one. The dog starts picking whats a threat and the reaction is not a good one. I understand what you are saying in that you want your dog to protect your family and the great thing with dogs is they will die for your family. The downside to that is they fight everything like they are gonna die so its all out. You dont want them to pick whats a threat and what isnt. Thats how people get mauled.

He’s been really good so far. We’ve had him about a month. He was growling at our youngest (age 12 and a half), but that was the extent of it. Had the youngest start feeding him and talk in a non-baby voice to him and he’s stopped the growling.

We’ve started doing ‘long-downs’ with him where we put his leash on him and don’t get up until he lays down for 30 minutes. Been doing this twice a day since last Wednesday.

As far as walks, he won’t ‘go’. He’ll walk out to the end of the driveway and then just stand there. We realize we need to get him walking and were hoping the training would help out, but since he got expelled we’re looking for a new trainer etc.

The trainer that wouldn’t work with him said she was worried he would climb her 7 foor chain link fence. Thoughts?

Oh yeah…he did chase down and kill a squirrel in our backyard when he was outside. We have a 6 foot fence and he likes to hang out in the back yard sometimes. The trainer said he’d do the same thing to cats…

[quote]IamMarqaos wrote:
Do you have kids?

[/quote]
3 sons ages 12, 15 and 17.

I had a dachsund as a kid growing up, but this is our first real dog experience.

[quote]IamMarqaos wrote:

Sorry if I caused confusion. I did not mean ‘attack’ = protect. I meant protect in the sense of ‘guard’ and ‘watch over’.[/quote]

No worries man. I was sure that is what you were saying but in case any knuckle heads out there were reading, I wanted to be clear.

[quote]DragnCarry wrote:
It is important not to confuse them with the Rhodesian Ridgeback, which is a completely different breed with a completely different temperament. It would depend a lot on how true to type your dog is.
.[/quote]

That is what mine is so take my post at that.

I will say best thing we ever did is two walks a day. One upon waking, as in roll out of bed, put on pants, strap his leash on and go. I don’t even piss most mornings. And then another at night when we get home from work.[/quote]

How far do you walk him?

[quote]DragnCarry wrote:
It might be worth checking out some of the TRD forums, I won’t link here because it may be against forum rules.[/quote]

They don’t mind and since I’m old and can’t figure out these here computers can you link one and then get the hell off my lawn?

Thanks.

Thai Ridgeback has long legs. Your dog is a mix of some sort.

[quote]sen say wrote:

I will say best thing we ever did is two walks a day. One upon waking, as in roll out of bed, put on pants, strap his leash on and go. I don’t even piss most mornings. And then another at night when we get home from work.[/quote]

How far do you walk him?[/quote]

About a mile and a half when both my wife and I were working 5+ days a week.

Now with the baby she is home 3, so he doesn’t need as much and his hips are starting to act up, so it is like .75 miles.

No clue what that is in metric

EDIT: that is each walk, and my pup is 85lbs. Shorter legs and smaller dogs won’t need as much I don’t think

Woof !

I’m not a professional of any kind in this area, just a guy that likes dogs, so take what I say however you would like. Based on the pictures I’m not convinced this is a Thai Ridgeback. Those short legs make me lean toward the original idea of a Corgi mix. Can you shoot any video or get some more pictures for us?

Whatever breed it is, just remember that the breed is one of the least important aspects. First they are animals, then they are pack animals, then they are dogs, then they are a particular breed, then they are an individual. Dogs are a reflection of their pack leader.

Watch this video.

[quote]DragnCarry wrote:
I would have thought it unlikely to find a Thai Ridgeback in a shelter even in the US, but would understand shelter staff not being able to recognise one.

I don’t know about “run for your life”, but they are certainly not your average pet dog. It is important not to confuse them with the Rhodesian Ridgeback, which is a completely different breed with a completely different temperament. It would depend a lot on how true to type your dog is.

It might be worth checking out some of the TRD forums, I won’t link here because it may be against forum rules.[/quote]

certain breeds are harder to find in shelters (great danes, mastiffs and giant schnauzers come to mind). That said, our local shelter has had 1 dane and 2 mastiffs in the last 6 months… just depends on what irresponisble people poney up the money for a dog upfront before realizing they grow and need to be taken care of…

Sorry for replying to an older post, but I have to thank Sen Say for posting his picture. :slight_smile:

I now know what my own corgi mix is thanks to this thread. I picked him up in October from a local dog rescue group, but he was captured in a trap, so no one was quite sure of his origins other than obviously a Corgi.

But as soon as I saw the picture above, I realized his body type & the nature of his hair was an exact match to the little short legged guy above. So then, I started reading up on what made Bensenji’s unique. & found lot’s of interesting things, that definitely pointed to this kind of mix:

Our Corgi mix, Iwa, is dark almost chocolate in color with white feet & chest… & you can see the hint of the brindle coat. - Bensenji’s come in all colors, & the white chest, if present, doesn’t have to extend up to the face. - he is missing the white tail tag…
Iwa has “pricked ears”, but this seems to be an exact neutral zone between “hooded” of the Bensenji & “bat” of the corgi style ears.
He also has a tail that is super long & curly, but can be straightened.
& finally, the most distinctive feature, the pads of his feet. Bensenji’s middle two toe pads “connect” slightly at the bottom.

For more information see this site:
http://basenji-freunde.com/basenji%20personality.htm

Traits that my Corgi/Basenji seems to have:

1. he seems to be a popular target at the dog park with certain slightly aggressive dogs. - Supposedly Basenji’s don’t typically “smell” like other dogs, so some breeds seem to not recognize them as “dogs”.
  2. he loves to run & run & run, and he likes to target other dogs well, in a very similar “hunting” fashion. He doesn’t seem aggressive toward them though.
  3. he does not like strangers, & seems to be particularly wary of kids.
  4. He started shedding as soon as we finally got into winter, but didn’t appear to loose any hair prior.
  5. hates baths.

Iwa does bark & has a very intimidating deep growl. Since he his nervous, some people think he is being aggressive. At home, he is an absolute angel. loves loves loves to be held. and wants nothing more to hang out with you at all times. I did attend a 6 week dog training course, & while he did eventually learn all the commands he was supposed to, he didn’t personally feel the need to keep going over them. LOL

Hope this helps you, even though you probably have already learned all of this by now.

Good luck
Alex

Pic of another corgi/basenji mix :slight_smile: