1 round of jab-cross and left middle kick on heavy bag

1 round of jab-cross and right middle kick on heavy bag

1 round of switch left middle kick on heavy bag

1 round of switch right middle kick on heavy bag

1 round of boxing on heavy bag

1 round of elbows on heavy bag

1 round of elbows, knees, middle kicks, and boxing

1 round of: sit-ups, jump-squats, and medicine ball shoulder press

1 round of: ab wheel roller, lateral runs around cones, and jump squats with medicine ball

1 round of: ab wheel roller in all three directions, jump squat around cones followed by knees, and medicine ball rotations

1 round of: scissors, bear crawls, and jump squat followed by medicine ball throw

Please note: at the end of the warm-up, I performed 50 pushups, and then the first four rounds listed were accompanied by 20 pushups.

[quote]BushcraftAl wrote:
If you want to follow the 5/3/1 program, get the book. It’ll also explain why dumbbells are better for accessory work than your main lift.[/quote]

Agreed. It’s dangerous in my opinion. Too much shit can go wrong on ME lifts like that.

Judo - 1.5 hours

5 minute warm-up

15 minutes of stand-up drilling

5 minutes of ground drilling (practiced the kimura)

5 rounds of newaza (I did 3 rounds)

7 rounds of randori (I did 2 rounds)

5 minutes of dynamic stretching

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]BushcraftAl wrote:
If you want to follow the 5/3/1 program, get the book. It’ll also explain why dumbbells are better for accessory work than your main lift.[/quote]

Agreed. It’s dangerous in my opinion. Too much shit can go wrong on ME lifts like that.[/quote]

I just started adding in squats, military press, and dumbbell bench press and I felt pretty sluggish today with my kicks and punches during thai boxing, and my standup during Judo, too.

Do you think I should give these exercises more of a try since I just started doing them? Last time I did squats, military press and dumbbell bench press was a year and a half ago and at that time I wasn’t doing any combat sports.

I seem to train best when I only lift once a week and that lift is the deadlift.

Thai Boxing - 1 hour

10 minute warm-up

1 round of jab-cross with weights

1 round of knees with weights

50 teep kicks on wall with weights

50 teep kicks on heavy bag with weights

200 jab-cross with weights

50 knees on heavy bag

30 middle kicks each leg on heavy bag

Mitt work:

Jab-cross (10 times), followed immediately by jab-cross (20 times), followed immediately by jab-cross (30 times), followed immediately by jab-cross (40 times), followed immediately by jab-cross (50 times), followed immediately by jab-cross (60 times), followed immediately by jab-cross (70 times), followed immediately by jab-cross (80 times), followed immediately by jab-cross (90 times), followed immediately by jab-cross (100 times). No rest, followed up by jab-cross 100 consecutive times.

Jab-cross then right cross (1 time), jab-cross then right cross (2 times), jab-cross then right cross (3 times), jab-cross then right cross (4 times), jab-cross then right cross (5 times), jab-cross then right cross (6 times), jab-cross then right cross (7 times), jab-cross then right cross (8 times), jab-cross then right cross (9 times), jab-cross then right cross (10 times). No rest at all between combinations.

I then held mitts for my training partner (he did the same thing I did above).

After holding mitts, I worked on various combinations such as jab-cross, cross-cross and jab-cross, cross-hook, jab-jab

Heavy bag work:

2 rounds of non-stop middle kicks (1st round using the left and 2nd round using the right)

Finisher (strength and conditioning):

20 pull-ups

Bear Crawls (3 times across the gym)

Please note: at the end of the warm-up, I performed 50 pushups, and then the first four rounds listed were accompanied by 20 pushups.

I weighed in at 183lbs last night.

Deadlifts

250 x 3
285 x 3
320 x 3

Military Press

80 x 3
90 x 3
105 x 3

Neck Harness

90 x 100
90 x 100
90 x 100

Workout from last night (5-16-14)

10 minutes on the heavy bag

Neck Harness

90 x 100
90 x 100
90 x 100

Grip Work

Towel Holds - bodyweight x 1 minute
Towel Holds - bodyweight x 1 minute
DB Holds - 95lbs x 1 minute

Neck Curl

25 x 50
25 x 50
25 x 50

Plate Pinches

30 x 1 minute
30 x 1 minute
30 x 1 minute

Hey man, glad to see more Thai boxers in the forum! I can’t truly call myself a nauk muay, but I fee as if I am one at heart. I also can’t help but feel for you and what you wan’t to accomplish. I want to start out with what you might see as criticism, and keep my encouragement for the end, so stay with me!

Firstly, these are just my opnions! We’ve all had our own experiences that shape our opnions, so keep that in mind as you ask others for help.

1. I can’t help but notice your private muay thai lessons are light on dutch drills, pad work, and sparring. If you’re going to compete in a year, I can’t stress enough how important these things are.

2. Your thai work seems to focus very heavily on building endurance by using weighted exercises to increase fatigue. I think this is great for cardio development, which is huge, but again; I really see a lack of true skill work.

3. I really don’t think you need two different days to work on your strength, unless your body can take it. Our focus as nauk muay’s is to learn the art of 8 limbs. We can focus on our superior stregth development when, and if, our coach or our body tells us that our strength is holding us back.

4. I don’t see any recovery, speed, or mobility work in your program. Be smart and add this in early.

5. I see you’re using 5/3/1 as a template for your strength program! Awesome! You are two years ahead of me when I started. Finding this program was invaluable to me.

6. Your cardio should be pretty sick with all those weighted circuits.

7. You clearly have the right attitude! Hard work pays off!

8. I really think that for your height and weight you have a good enough strength base to focus your efforts elsewhere for some time. Or, at least, hold off on adding a second strength day.

I’m currently 4 weeks out from my first Mauy Thai event and I’m not lifting twice a week. In fact I haven’t been for almost 8 weeks. I noticed that there was no way my body was recovering from lifting that hard, and putting in all the work at practice. I needed to focus on my skills above all else, cardrio as a secondary, mobility and explosiveness third, and strength dead last. When you fight an opponent your own size in a sporting event, skill is your greatest asset.

Judo - 1 hour

7 rounds of newaza (I did 3 rounds)

7 rounds of randori (I did 3 rounds)

Please note: I arrived late to Judo which is typically 1.5 hours. I missed out on the technical drilling portion. Felt great to get on the mats and do newaza and randori

[quote]Beershoes wrote:
Hey man, glad to see more Thai boxers in the forum! I can’t truly call myself a nauk muay, but I fee as if I am one at heart. I also can’t help but feel for you and what you wan’t to accomplish. I want to start out with what you might see as criticism, and keep my encouragement for the end, so stay with me!

Firstly, these are just my opnions! We’ve all had our own experiences that shape our opnions, so keep that in mind as you ask others for help.

1. I can’t help but notice your private muay thai lessons are light on dutch drills, pad work, and sparring. If you’re going to compete in a year, I can’t stress enough how important these things are.

2. Your thai work seems to focus very heavily on building endurance by using weighted exercises to increase fatigue. I think this is great for cardio development, which is huge, but again; I really see a lack of true skill work.

3. I really don’t think you need two different days to work on your strength, unless your body can take it. Our focus as nauk muay’s is to learn the art of 8 limbs. We can focus on our superior stregth development when, and if, our coach or our body tells us that our strength is holding us back.

4. I don’t see any recovery, speed, or mobility work in your program. Be smart and add this in early.

5. I see you’re using 5/3/1 as a template for your strength program! Awesome! You are two years ahead of me when I started. Finding this program was invaluable to me.

8. I really think that for your height and weight you have a good enough strength base to focus your efforts elsewhere for some time. Or, at least, hold off on adding a second strength day.

I’m currently 4 weeks out from my first Mauy Thai event and I’m not lifting twice a week. In fact I haven’t been for almost 8 weeks. I noticed that there was no way my body was recovering from lifting that hard, and putting in all the work at practice. I needed to focus on my skills above all else, cardrio as a secondary, mobility and explosiveness third, and strength dead last. When you fight an opponent your own size in a sporting event, skill is your greatest asset. [/quote]

What kind of dutch drills do you think I am light on? As for sparring, the advanced students spar. I’m still a beginner learning the fundamentals regarding technique.

Yes, the thai boxing gym I go to focuses on a lot of reps and conditioning. This pays off big time on fight night, since most of the fighters from the gym are rarely tired during and after the fight, meanwhile, the opponents are experiencing fatigue.

What kind of skill work do you think I should be doing?

As for strength days, the reasoning behind adding a second day is such that it helps my Judo (even if minimally). I do agree that it is probably not necessary especially from a recovery standpoint.

What type of recovery work should I be doing? Foam roller, massages, etc.? As for speed work, do you recommend explosive lifts?

Congratulations on preparing for your first Muay Thai fight and best wishes. I like what you said here: “to focus on my skills above all else, cardrio as a secondary, mobility and explosiveness third, and strength dead last.”

Thai Boxing - 1 hour

1 round of jab-cross with 3lb dumbbells

1 round of knees with 3lb dumbbells

50 teep kicks on the wall with 3lb dumbbells

50 teep kicks on the heavy bag with 3lb dumbbells

50 knees on the heavy bag

200 punches with 3lb dumbbells

25 knees each leg on the heavy bag

1 round of elbows

3 rounds of jab, jab-jab-cross, cross-hook, right middle kick

3 rounds of left middle kick-right middle kick

Knees: 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 1-5, 1-6, 1-7, 1-8, 1-9, 1-10

Finisher: 10 pushups and 10 mountain climbers, 10 pushups and 10 mountain climbers, 10 pushups and 10 mountain climbers

Squats 5/3/1

150 x 3
170 x 3
195 x 3

Neutral Grip DB Press

60 x 3
70 x 3
75 x 3

Neck Harness

90 x 100
90 x 100
90 x 100

Neck Curl

25 x 50
25 x 50
25 x 50

Military Press 5/3/1

85 x 5
95 x 3
110 x 1

Neck Harness

90 x 100
90 x 100
90 x 100

Neck Curl

25 x 50
25 x 50
25 x 50

[quote]fearnloathingnyc wrote:

[quote]Beershoes wrote:

I’m currently 4 weeks out from my first Mauy Thai event and I’m not lifting twice a week. In fact I haven’t been for almost 8 weeks. I noticed that there was no way my body was recovering from lifting that hard, and putting in all the work at practice. I needed to focus on my skills above all else, cardrio as a secondary, mobility and explosiveness third, and strength dead last. When you fight an opponent your own size in a sporting event, skill is your greatest asset. [/quote]

What kind of dutch drills do you think I am light on? As for sparring, the advanced students spar. I’m still a beginner learning the fundamentals regarding technique.

Yes, the thai boxing gym I go to focuses on a lot of reps and conditioning. This pays off big time on fight night, since most of the fighters from the gym are rarely tired during and after the fight, meanwhile, the opponents are experiencing fatigue.

What kind of skill work do you think I should be doing?

As for strength days, the reasoning behind adding a second day is such that it helps my Judo (even if minimally). I do agree that it is probably not necessary especially from a recovery standpoint.

What type of recovery work should I be doing? Foam roller, massages, etc.? As for speed work, do you recommend explosive lifts?

Congratulations on preparing for your first Muay Thai fight and best wishes. I like what you said here: “to focus on my skills above all else, cardrio as a secondary, mobility and explosiveness third, and strength dead last.”[/quote]

Focusing on gaining proper technique is of paramount importance, and I would never try to tell anyone that their coach is wrong. I prefer dutch drills and pad work because they give you the opportunity to work on distance, timing,and movement on an opponent who is also moving. I think a lot of people are weak on cardio (I count myself among them) because it’s the most grueling aspect. As far as what dutch drills, pad work, ect… you should be doing, I can’t say. Your kru knows better than I do, but I find that our teachers also get into the habit of a routine. Sometimes just asking them to mix in some other types of work can add a spark to your training.

For recovery work I would suggest yoga, foam rolling, and if you can afford it a massage.

For your explosive weight work it really depends on your skill set, your strength level (which seems better than most), and your equipment. I think oly movements are a big help, but I’d suggest consulting the combat blog (on this website) entitled dog days by donnydarkoirl. He really logs his explosive work well.

Deadlifts 5/3/1

265 x 5
300 x 3
335 x 1

Here are some of my training goals to accomplish by the end of the year:

Receive a yellow belt in Judo

Go from beginner Thai Boxing class to Intermediate/Advanced Thai Boxing class

Spar more frequently in Thai Boxing

Deadlift 405lbs

Squat 275lbs

Military Press 135lbs

DB Bench 100lbs