50 minutes of standup technical drilling

• high crotch single
  • high crotch single to a double
  • high crotch single countered then transition to a headlock

25 minutes of sparring

5 minutes of drills

• sprawls
  • moving side to side
  • I need to stop putting my head down when I am going for a single and double leg since it is putting me in a very vulnerable position where I am being put in a headlock

• I sparred two guys three times. I took down one guy and was taken down twice

• My endurance was tested during the third match-up in which I was very tired

Boxing - 1 hour and 30 minutes

4 rounds (3 minutes each round, 1 minute rest) of jump rope

2 rounds of lateral movement around the ring

3 rounds of shadow boxing in the ring

• 1 round of double jab-slip right-slip left
  • 1 round of jab-cross-hook-cross-jab-jab-slip right-slip left
  • 1 round of double jab-cross-slip right-slip left

4 rounds on the heavy bag

• working on the same combinations listed above (when I was shadow boxing)

3 rounds on the mitts

• 1 round of jab-cross-double jab and jab-cross-hook-double jab and right uppercut-hook-cross
  • 1 round of jab, jab-jab, jab-jab-jab, jab-jab-jab-jab, jab-jab-jab-jab-jab, jab-jab-jab-jab-jab-jab, jab-jab-jab-jab-jab-jab-jab, jab-jab-jab-jab-jab-jab-jab-jab, jab-jab-jab-jab-jab-jab-jab-jab-jab, jab-jab-jab-jab-jab-jab-jab-jab-jab-jab and cross, cross-cross, cross-cross-cross, cross-cross-cross-cross, cross-cross-cross-cross-cross, cross-cross-cross-cross-cross-cross, cross-cross-cross-cross-cross-cross-cross, cross-cross-cross-cross-cross-cross-cross-cross, cross-cross-cross-cross-cross-cross-cross-cross-cross, cross-cross-cross-cross-cross-cross-cross-cross-cross
  • 1 round of jab-cross-jab-cross-go underneath opponents left hand-counter with cross-hook-cross-go underneath opponents left hand-counter with cross-hook-cross-go underneath opponents right hand-counter with double jab

Ground work

• 1 round of medicine ball squat to press
  • 5 sets of 20 reps using 6lb medicine ball of Russian twist
  • 30 reps of plank with robot arms
  • 20 flutter kicks
  • 20 outside kicks
  • 20 inside crunches

2 rounds of footwork and pivoting

3 rounds on the speed bag

Judo - 1 hour and 30 minutes

5 minutes of breakfalls

20 minutes of uchikomi

• koshi guruma (left handed and right handed)
  • osoto gari (left handed and right handed)

50 minutes of standup technical drilling

• koshi guruma (moving forward and backwards)
  • osoto gari (moving forward and backwards)
  • tai otoshi (moving forward, backwards, and laterally in both directions)

10 minutes of ground work technical drilling

• 5 turnovers into pins when opponent is in turtle

1 round (2 minutes) of newaza

• I went up against a brown belt who weighed about 160lbs. I was in top control position for almost the entire round. I established side control and had him in kesa gatame. He managed to escape with 10 seconds left in the round and put me in a shoulder/arm lock when I put my hand on his shoulder as he was coming up

1 round (2 minutes) of randori

• When I attacked without stopping I was close to throwing my opponent. The brown belt threw me with a nice throw as he dropped to his knees to throw me

5 rounds (3 minutes each round, 1 minute rest) of jump rope

4 rounds (3 minutes each round, 1 minute rest) of ring work

• 1 round of jab-crosses moving forward and uppercuts moving backwards
  • 1 round of jab-jab-cross-jab-jab-slip to the right-slip to the left-sit down (moving forward)
  • 1 round of jab-jab-cross-jab-jab-slip to the right-slip to the left-sit down (moving laterally)
  • 1 round of jab-cross-hook-cross-jab-jab-slip to the right-slip to the left-sit down

Heavy bag

• 2,000 jab-crosses moving around the bag

3 rounds (3 minutes each round, 1 minute rest) of 6lb medicine ball

• 1 round of pushing the medicine ball forward while moving forward in a boxing stance and pushing the medicine ball forward while moving backwards in a boxing stance
  • 1 round of pressing the medicine ball up while moving laterally in both directions
  • 1 round of squat to press using medicine ball

Calisthenics

• 1 round of plank hold
  • 30 leg presses using trainers bodyweight of 150lbs
  • 1 round of ab hold keeping feet off the floor
  • 100 dips

Deadlifts

• 135 x 3
  • 225 x 3
  • 315 x 1
  • 335 x 1
  • 355 x 1
  • 365 x 1

Chin-ups

• BW x 10
  • BW x 10
  • BW x 10

Neck Harness

• 90 x 100
  • 90 x 100
  • 90 x 100

10 minute warmup

• stretching
  • calisthenics
  • breakfalls

10 minutes of uchikomi

• tai otoshi
  • ippon seoi nage

35 minutes of standup technical drilling

• osoto gari
  • tai otoshi (moving forward, backwards, and laterally in both directions)
  • ippon seoi nage

10 minutes of ground work technical drilling

• 5 turnovers into pins when opponent is in turtle

3 rounds (2 minutes each round) of newaza

3 rounds (2 minutes each round) of randori

5 minutes of uchikomi

• osoto gari
  • ippon seoi nage

Friday, April 24

4 rounds (3 minutes each round, 1 minute rest between rounds) of jump rope

2 rounds (3 minutes each round, 1 minute rest between rounds) of laterally movement around the ring

3 rounds of shadow boxing in the ring

• 1 round of jab-jab-cross-slip to the left-slip to the right-sit down (moving laterally around the ring)
  • 1 round of jab-jab-cross-hook-cross-jab-slip the left-slip to the right-sit down (moving laterally around the ring)
  • 1 round of jab-cross-hook-cross-jab-jab-slip to the left-slip to the right-sit down (moving forward)

6 rounds (no rest between rounds) on the heavy bag

• 3 rounds of jab-jab-cross
  • 3 rounds of jab-cross (moving around the heavy bag in a circular motion)

3 rounds (3 minutes each round, 1 minute rest) of 6lb medicine ball

• 1 round of pushing the medicine ball forward while moving forward in a boxing stance and pushing the medicine ball forward while moving backwards in a boxing stance
  • 1 round of pressing the medicine ball up while moving laterally in both directions
  • 1 round of squat to press using medicine ball

Calisthenics

• 5 sets of 20 reps of the following: squat position to kicking legs out quickly while in squat position with resistance bands
  • 20 leg presses using trainers bodyweight of 150lbs
  • 100 dips
  • 1 round (3 minutes) of ab hold keeping feet off the floor
  • 20 flutter kicks
  • 20 outside kicks
  • 30 reps of plank with robot arms

5 rounds of jump rope

1 round of jab-cross moving forward and uppercuts moving backwards

2 rounds of lateral movement around the heavy bag

3 rounds on the heavy bag

• 1 round of jab-jab-cross-slip to the right-slip to the left-sit down
  • 1 round of jab-cross-hook-uppercut-hook-cross-hook
  • 1 round of jab-cross

1,0000 jab-crosses on the heavy bag

• 1 round of jab-jab-cross-jab-jab
  • 1 round of jab-cross-hook-pivot to the left-jab-jab
  • 1 round of jab-uppercut-hook-cross-pivot to the left-jab-jab

3 rounds of 6lb medicine ball

• 1 round of squat to press
  • 1 round of squat-touch left foot with medicine ball-press-touch right foot with medicine ball
  • 1 round of 5 sets of 20 rotational twist

3 rounds of speed bag

Calisthenics

• 30 scissors
  • 30 outside scissors
  • 30 scissors
  • 30 plank robots

Thai Boxing - 1 hour and 50 minutes

10 minutes of running

12 rounds (4 minutes each round, 30 second rest between rounds) of sparring

• 5 rounds of boxing
  • 7 rounds of muay thai

3 rounds holding thai pads

3 rounds (4 minutes each round, 30 second rest between rounds) on thai pads

30 left middle kicks and 30 right middle kicks on the thai heavy bag

Finisher

• 100 situps
  • Some hard sparring today. I really pushed the pace especially when we were only boxing. I had a lot of success pivoting, countering, and putting my opponents in the corner and throwing non-stop

• I had a lot more success today with boxing sparring than muay thai sparring. I haven’t trained in muay thai for approximately 2 weeks. I still have to do a better job of checking leg kicks and teeps to the body

• During the last round I started to get tired and was caught flush with some punches because my hands were down

• Good performance today, adding in boxing to assist my muay thai definitely helps

Learning to block/check kicks is a good skill to develop, but it shouldn’t be your first line of defense. Controlling distance and Set Point are strategically superior methods of defending your opponent’s attacks (including kicks to your body).

Here is a short clip from long time Joe Lewis Black Belt John Graden about Set Point Control:

Judo - 1 hour

10 minutes of uchikomi

• koshi guruma

35 minutes of standup technical drilling

• koshi guruma
  • osoto gari
  • ouchi gari
  • uchi mata
  • ippon seoi nage

3 rounds (3 minutes each round, 1 minute rest) of randori

• I really like the uchi mata and ouchi gari throws. It was my first time learning these two throws. So many fine details to each one

Boxing - 1 hour and 50 minutes

5 rounds of jump rope

• 1 round of jab-cross-hook-cross-pivot to the left-jab-jab
  • 1 round of jab-cross-hook-cross-pivot to the left-jab-jab-step to the right-cross-hook-cross
  • 1 round of jab-cross-hook-cross-pivot to the left-jab-jab-step to the right-right uppercut-hook-cross

2 rounds on the uppercut bag

• 1 round of left uppercut-right uppercut
  • 1 round of jab-right uppercut-hook-cross

1 round of defense and counters

• go underneath opponents jab-counter with cross-go underneath opponents right hand-counter with jab-jab

3 rounds on the mitts

• 1 round of jab-cross-hook-cross-go underneath opponents jab-counter with cross-hook-cross-go underneath opponents right hand-jab-jab
  • 1 round of right uppercut-step back-cross-pivot to the left-jab-jab
  • 1 round of jab-jab and jab-cross and jab-cross-hook-step to the right-cross-hook-cross-step to the left-jab-jab
  • there were a bunch of other defensive and counter attacks worked in with pivots and combinations, I just can’t remember them

Calisthenics

• 100 rotational twists using 6lb medicine ball
  • 30 scissors
  • 30 outside scissors
  • 30 plank robots
  • 100 squat to press using 6lb medicine ball
  • 100 dips
  • I felt exhausted during today’s boxing

Thanks Sento, this is really good stuff. The set point control principle is something that I have to ingrain in my mind. Sometimes when I am in the set point, I think too much and wait on my opponent to throw so I can counter them, instead I should follow the principle of fake, fire, move. I really think the footwork, head movement and emphasis on controlling distance in boxing will help my muay thai tremendously when sparring. In addition, keeping the principle of either feinting, throwing, or moving (pivoting and step side to side) will help me a lot.

10 minute warmup

20 minutes of uchikomi

45 minutes of standup technical drilling

• ouchi gari
  • uchimata
  • combination throw (ouchi gari into kouchi gari into ippon seoinage)
  • combination throws (ouchi gari into kouchi gari into tai otoshi)

10 minutes of uchikomi-randori

5 minutes of grip techniques

Judo - 1 hour and 15 minutes

45 minutes of chokes in the following positions

• when opponent is in turtle
  • when I am in an opponents guard
  • when opponent is in my guard
  • standing position
  • when an opponent is trying to go for side control
  • kesa gatame

30 minutes of the following throws

• osota gari
  • ippon seoi nage
  • tsurikomi goshi

Boxing - 1 hour and 20 minutes

5 rounds (3 minutes each round, 30 second rest between rounds) of jump rope

3 rounds (3 minutes each round, 30 second rest between rounds) of shadow boxing in the ring

• 1 round of jab-cross moving forward and uppercuts moving backwards
  • 1 round of jab-cross-hook-cross-jab-jab-slip to the left-slip to the right-sit down
  • 1 round of jab-uppercut-hook-cross-jab-jab-pivoting-repeat combination

3 rounds (3 minutes each round, 30 second rest between rounds) on the hook bag

• 1 round of jab-cross-hook-cross-hook-cross
  • 1 round of jab-uppercut-hook-cross-hook-cross
  • 1 round of jab-cross non-stop

2 rounds (3 minutes each round, 30 second rest between rounds) on the uppercut bag

• 1 round of uppercuts moving in both directions around the bag
  • 1 round of left uppercut-left uppercut-right uppercut-right uppercut

1,000 jab-cross on the heavy bag, non-stop without rest

Calisthenics

• 1 round (3 minute round) of plank hold
  • 30 plank robots
  • 30 scissors (up and down)
  • 30 scissors (inside and out)
  • 30 leg raises
  • 30 bicycle crunches
  • 100 dips
  • 40 reps of squat position to kicking legs out

Just when I made a plan to start training a lot more (meaning 3-4 hours a day), I am now told I have to do mandatory overtime starting this week from 3:30pm to 4:05am, Friday through Sunday, and 5:30pm to 4:05am on the other days. My plan goes out of the window now which was to train 3 to 4 hours per day even if it meant sleeping 6 hours a day.

My friend and training teammate just got a gig working at a fitness gym teaching boxing/kickboxing and MMA. He’s a black belt in judo, blue belt in BJJ, tons of competition experience in combat sambo, and does a little muay thai, and referring at amateur MMA, boxing, and muay thai fights. I had a chance to do some very light sparring with him using MMA gloves. The MMA gloves really change the dynamics of defending against punches. Punches that normally wouldn’t land when you are using boxing gloves, land when you wear the MMA gloves. It was good to train with the MMA gloves. Here is what we worked on (we kept it light considering that I already trained in both judo and boxing earlier today):

Medicine ball

• 1 minute of rolling a 20lb medicine ball and then sprawling
  • 1 minute of throwing a 20lb medicine ball at chest level and then sprawling
  • 1 minute of throwing a 20lb medicine ball above the head and then sprawling

Heavy bag work

• left middle kick-right middle kick-sprawl
  • left middle kick-left middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick-sprawl
  • left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick-right middle kick-right middle-right middle kick-sprawl
  • left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick-right middle kick-right middle-right middle kick-right middle kick-sprawl
  • left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick-right middle kick-right middle-right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick-sprawl
  • left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick-right middle kick-right middle-right middle kick-right middle kick-sprawl
  • left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick-right middle kick-right middle-right middle kick-sprawl
  • left middle kick-left middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick-sprawl
  • left middle kick-right middle kick-sprawl

2 rounds (5 minutes each round, 30 second rest between rounds) of light sparring

• 1 round of boxing
  • 1 round of muay thai

Friday, May 8

Muay Thai - 1 hour

1 round (3 minutes) of jump rope

20 pushups, 20 situps, 20 squats

1 round (3 minutes) of shadow boxing

6 rounds (2 minutes each round) holding thai pads

6 rounds (2 minutes each round) on thai pads

Wrestling - 1 hour

5 minute warmup

5 minutes drilling single leg takedown

50 minutes of sparring

• My judo training helped me a lot today when I applied uchi mata on the wrestling mats. The only thing is that I was susceptible to the bodylock which I was put in a few times and thrown subsequently. This happened when I had the overhook and my opponent had the underhook

How are you throwing the Uchi Mata (Koshi Waza style or Ashi Waza style)? Are you trying for a direct takedown or using it to set up other takedowns/throws? Most Uchi’s I see being taught and done in competitions are more of the Koshi Waza style and usually result in “rolling Ippons” and as a result I don’t like this type of Uchi Mata. If you look at the original Kodokan though, Uchi Mata is an Ashi Waza technique.

Ashi Waza techniques are based on the principle of the body weight shifting from one foot to the other as we walk/continually lose and catch our balance (where as Koshi Waza techniques are based on the concept of the Screw) and interrupting that ability to catch our balance or accelerating/exaggerating the shift faster than we can handle. An Ashi Waza type Uchi Mata does not require the hip to insert, does not require massive amounts of Kuzushi, doesn’t necessarily require you to turn your body so both of you are facing the same direction/turn your back (since you aren’t using your hip as a fulcrum to throw them over), and is based on the process of getting your opponent’s weight to shift to their far leg (60% is usually enough, but obviously more is better) and then powerfully twisting their body around that leg as you kick (and further accelerate) their near leg back around behind them. People don’t generally go flying through the air with this type of Uchi, but it is usually a more controlled fall that is nonetheless difficult for them not to take and can lead to a more stabilized throw for you. You may not get an Ippon out of it if doing it in a Judo competition, but if you are wrestling or doing submission grappling that shouldn’t matter too much). To do this though you can’t really throw it with an over hook but instead need to use a collar tie, inside control, or lapel grip (Tsurikomi grip). All of these will allow you to push the near shoulder away as you pull the far shoulder towards you (causing the rotation around their far leg). An overhook on the other hand will not allow their body to rotate away from yours and will stop rotation all together (unless you yourself spin, which often winds up getting used against you and you getting re-rolled once you hit the ground, if the throw is successful).

If I throw the Uchi with a near overhook my intention is always not to get a direct takedown but instead to set up an ankle pick or knee tap on their far leg or set up a front headlock or Quarter Nelson. In these cases though I allow their far arm to be free and for them to post it (because I actually want them to separate from me and to save their balance, I just want to get their weight onto their far leg so I can trap it and run them over it, or put their hand and head down so I can get my weight/chest on the back of their head). It’s also possible to hit a Tai Otoshi with this set up, but again since Tai O usually involves being able to push the near shoulder away and a really good wrestler might lateral drop you should you try to throw them like this with the near overhook I’m not a big fan. If you had the lapel grip you could use that combination well though.

And finally, timing of all Ashi Waza skills is crucially important and will make the difference between hitting a nice easy throw and trying to power through one. Hope this doesn’t confuse you too much and is helpful.

Deadlifts

135 x 3
225 x 3
315 x 2
365 x 1
385 x 1

Tuesday, May 12

GI Pull-ups

• BW x 5
  • BW x 5
  • BW x 5

Trap Bar Hold