• 10 jumping jacks
  • 10 squats
  • 10 situps
  • 10 pushups

5 minutes of running immediately after circuits

100 alternating knees on the thai heavy bag immediately after running

2 minutes of shadow boxing immediately after alternating knees

50 alternating teeps on the thai heavy bag immediately after shadow boxing

30 left middle kicks and 30 right middle kicks immediately after alternating teeps

2 minutes of shadow boxing immediately after alternating teeps

100 alternating knees on the thai heavy bag immediately after shadow boxing

2 minutes of shadow boxing immediately after alternating knees

200 punches using 3lb dumbbells in each hand

1 round (4 minutes) of jab-cross using 3lb dumbbells in each hand

• speed punches and high knees during final 30 seconds of the round
  • 20 pushups during 30 second rest period

1 round (4 minutes) of alternating knees using 3lb dumbbells in each hand

• speed punches and high knees during final 30 seconds of the round
  • 20 pushups during 30 second rest period

1 hour of situational sparring

• feint left teep-hop with right leg-right elbow
  • feint left teep-hop with right leg-throw right middle kick
  • feint left teep-hop with right leg-throw right middle kick-opponent catches right middle kick-pull his head down with both hands
  • feint left teep-hop with right-switch left middle kick
  • jab-cross-push opponents chest with left arm-jab-cross-jab-cross and opponent counters by pushing back-right middle kick-straight right to the body-left hook to the head-step out-right middle kick
  • opponent throws jab-cross-pushes chest with left arm-jab-cross-jab-cross and I counter with pushing back-right middle kick-straight right to the body-left hook to the head-step out-right middle kick
  • feint left teep-hop with right leg at an angle to my opponents right side-pull his right hand down-right middle kick

Thai Heavy Bag

• 30 left middle kicks and 30 right middle kicks
  • (1) left middle kick-left middle kick, (2) left middle kick-left middle kick, (3) left middle kick-left middle kick, (4) left middle kick-left middle kick, (5) left middle kick-left middle kick, (6) left middle kick-left middle kick, (7) left middle kick-left middle kick, (8) left middle kick-left middle kick, (9) left middle kick-left middle kick, (10) left middle kick-left middle kick
  • (1) right middle kick-right middle kick, (2) right middle kick-right middle kick, (3) right middle kick-right middle kick, (4) right middle kick-right middle kick, (5) right middle kick-right middle kick, (6) right middle kick-right middle kick, (7) right middle kick-right middle kick, (8) right middle kick-right middle kick, (9) right middle kick-right middle kick, (10) right middle kick-right middle kick

Finisher:

• 4 minutes of situps

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Well, I started in a mixed art and my instructors stated their training learning a mix of arts from their father and then went out and studied yet more arts at the same time, so I am not one of those proponents of sticking to just one art (especially just one say grappling or one striking art). Personally I think that misses the recognition of the totality of combat and the underlying principles and methodologies which make things work.

This is a primarily “moves” based understanding and approach to combat, which will always be inferior to a “methods/principles” based approach/understanding. Some of the biggest “Aha!” Moments I’ve had were during weekend long intensive seminars where I had done 2 hours of Wrestling with an Olympic Broze Medalist, 2 hours of Judo with a 4th degree Black Belt in Judo, several hours of Dynamic Combat unarmed stuff with GM Ryan, Several hours of Reality Clinch Fighting with Shihan Lysak, 2 hours of BJJ with a former World Champion BJJ player, several hours of Reality Ground Fighting with Shihan Lysak, 2 hours of Combat Kickboxing with GM Lewis, 2 hours of weapons stuff with GM Ryan, several hours of firearms training, 2 hours of Small Circle Jiu-Jitsu stuff, and a bunch of other stuff thrown in.

We have had everyone from Tony Blauer, to Frank Shamrock, to James Rosenbach, to John Graden, to Dana Abbot, etc…come and teach a huge variety of skills and styles, and I agree that if one was looking at things from a “moves” perspective this would be overwhelming and confusing as heck. But if you approach it from a methods perspective then you start to see how it actually all fits together and that it’s all just variations on the same themes built upon the same underlying principles.

So, go ahead and stick with Judo if that is the most convenient option for you right now. If you pay attention to the methods and principles that make it tick you should be able to apply them or adapt to whatever grappling art you decide to mix in as you go.[/quote]

Well said Sento. I haven’t really thought of it like that until you mentioned it earlier in the previous post and now I see what you are saying about understanding the various “moves” as “methods/principles” which can be utilized in a combat situation. I think this goes along the lines of absorbing what is useful and discarding what is not, in the sense that certain techniques work well in a given martial art competition but when applied in a different setting and environment, adjustments must be made such as not going for a double leg on concrete.

As far as training in various martial arts at the same time, I could squeeze in 1 Wrestling training session per week.

Judo - 1 hour and 30 minutes

Warmup

• 5 minutes of running
  • Judo Push-ups

1 hour of technical drilling

• opponent is in turtle and then pin
  • feint attacks and double attacks
  • seio nage
  • osoto gari
  • leg sweeps
  • ouchi gari

3 round (3 minutes each round) of newaza

3 round (3 minutes each round) of randori

Finisher

• 5 minutes of uchikomi

[quote]fearnloathingnyc wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Well, I started in a mixed art and my instructors stated their training learning a mix of arts from their father and then went out and studied yet more arts at the same time, so I am not one of those proponents of sticking to just one art (especially just one say grappling or one striking art). Personally I think that misses the recognition of the totality of combat and the underlying principles and methodologies which make things work.

This is a primarily “moves” based understanding and approach to combat, which will always be inferior to a “methods/principles” based approach/understanding. Some of the biggest “Aha!” Moments I’ve had were during weekend long intensive seminars where I had done 2 hours of Wrestling with an Olympic Broze Medalist, 2 hours of Judo with a 4th degree Black Belt in Judo, several hours of Dynamic Combat unarmed stuff with GM Ryan, Several hours of Reality Clinch Fighting with Shihan Lysak, 2 hours of BJJ with a former World Champion BJJ player, several hours of Reality Ground Fighting with Shihan Lysak, 2 hours of Combat Kickboxing with GM Lewis, 2 hours of weapons stuff with GM Ryan, several hours of firearms training, 2 hours of Small Circle Jiu-Jitsu stuff, and a bunch of other stuff thrown in.

We have had everyone from Tony Blauer, to Frank Shamrock, to James Rosenbach, to John Graden, to Dana Abbot, etc…come and teach a huge variety of skills and styles, and I agree that if one was looking at things from a “moves” perspective this would be overwhelming and confusing as heck. But if you approach it from a methods perspective then you start to see how it actually all fits together and that it’s all just variations on the same themes built upon the same underlying principles.

So, go ahead and stick with Judo if that is the most convenient option for you right now. If you pay attention to the methods and principles that make it tick you should be able to apply them or adapt to whatever grappling art you decide to mix in as you go.[/quote]

Well said Sento. I haven’t really thought of it like that until you mentioned it earlier in the previous post and now I see what you are saying about understanding the various “moves” as “methods/principles” which can be utilized in a combat situation. I think this goes along the lines of absorbing what is useful and discarding what is not, in the sense that certain techniques work well in a given martial art competition but when applied in a different setting and environment, adjustments must be made such as not going for a double leg on concrete.

As far as training in various martial arts at the same time, I could squeeze in 1 Wrestling training session per week. [/quote]

Yes, similar line of thought.

More specifically what I mean is that all martial arts (or combat sports, or all physical activities for that matter) are based on the same principles of human biomechanics, Newtonian physics, and strategic concepts (Art of War stuff, behavioral conditioning, etc…). If we are going to use a Bruce Lee quote to liken this to then, “Unless there are humans with three arms and four legs, unless we have another group of human beings who are structurally different from us, there can be no different “style” of fighting.”

This is a Method based approach to combat, i.e. “How can I best utilize the tools at my disposal/in what different ways can I utilize my body as a weapon against an opponent?” When you truly analyze it, there are only so many ways that this can be done, and all Martial Arts/Combat Sports are variations of and based on these different ways. We break these down into 7 “Main Arsenals” which are (in no particular order of importance or preference):

1. Striking
  2. Grappling
  3. Eye Attacks
  4. Nerve Attacks
  5. Biting
  6. Body Handles
  7. Environmental weapons
    7A) Combat Specific/Conventional
    7B) Improvised/Unconventional

Now within each of these categories (or several of them, depending on the “art”) you can place all techniques/moves and Martial Arts/Combat Sports “styles”. For instance, Boxing and TKD (at least the sportive version) teach primarily Striking arsenal skills, Wrestling and Judo teach primarily Grappling arsenal skills, Kino Mutai teaches primarily biting skills, Point Shooting teaches primarily Combat Specific Environmental Weaponry skills, etc… Then you have arts which teach mixes of things. For instance, while Muay Thai teaches lots of Striking Arsenal skills, they also teach Clinch skills (which would fall under the category of Grappling Arsenal skills due to the fact that they are based on controlling, positioning, and transitioning between positions of control). Many Traditional Japanese Jiu-Jitsu “styles” teach both Grappling Arsenal skills in the forms of joint locks/breaks, pins, and controls/come alongs, but also teach Striking Arsenal skills in the form of “Atemi” which is designed to damage, weaken, and distract the opponent to make them easier to manipulate with the Grappling Arsenal skills. Kali teaches Striking Arsenal skills, Grappling Arsenal skills, and Environmental Weapons Arsenal skills in the form of blade and impact weapon skills.

And really I could go on forever with this process of categorizing things into these 7 Main Arsenals. The point though, which I hope I have conveyed, is that this process is designed to simplify all of the hundreds of thousands of “moves/techniques” found in the vast array of Martial Arts/Combat Sports “styles” out there today (or even forgotten from times past or yet to be “created”) into their essential forms and uncomplicate the process of learning and engaging in combat into it’s most basic, “root” form.

None of this is to say that techniques/moves are not an integral part of learning Martial Arts; because they most certainly are. “Moves” though are effective (or sometimes ineffective, but we won’t go there for now) applications of the underlying principles/methods of combat. When first learning, people must learn “moves” so they begin to understand how to apply these principles, and the better they adhere to the principles (and IMO understand them) the more effectively the techniques will work, or the more easily they will be able to adapt techniques that don’t, or discard them all together (if they are not based on said principles at all). This also makes learning new skills (regardless of what “style” they come from) much more easy and much less confusing.

For instance, let’s take punching as an example. Effective punching is based primarily on the Newtonian physiques equations of Kinetic Energy/Momentum:
KE=1/2M * V2 (Kinetic Energy equals one half of the mass of the object times it’s velocity squared)

Newton’s 3rd Law:
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction

and

The Law of the Lever/leverage

What this means is that in order for a punch to be effective it must have maximal mass, velocity, and some form of effective bracing mechanism so all of the force is transferred into the target. The better a punch adheres to these biomechanical and physical laws, the more effective it’ll be, and the less it adheres the less effective it’ll be, regardless of what “style” it comes from.

There are also of course other human performance laws that are at play which help determine the actual outcome of the punch on a living breathing target, but these are the basic “mechanical stages of learning”.

Thai Boxing - 1 hour and 20 minutes

5 circuits of the following, non-stop, no rest between exercise, no rest between circuits:

• 20 jumping jacks
  • 20 squats
  • 20 situps
  • 20 pushups

100 alternating knees immediately after circuits

1 round (4 minutes) of shadow boxing immediately after alternating knees

50 alternating teeps on the thai heavy bag immediately after shadow boxing

1 round (4 minutes) of shadow boxing immediately after alternating teeps

50 left middle kicks and 50 right middle kicks on the thai heavy bag immediately after shadow boxing

3 rounds (4 minutes each round) holding thai pads

3 rounds (4 minutes each round, 30 second rest between rounds) on thai pads

• 1 round of 10 left middle kicks, then single left middle kicks for 1 minute, then 10 left middle kicks, then single left middle kicks for 1 minute, then 10 left middle kicks, then double left middle kicks at the 2 minute mark of the round until 30 seconds, then left middle kicks non-stop during final 30 seconds of the round
  • 1 round of 10 right middle kicks, then single right middle kicks for 1 minute, then 10 right middle kicks, then single right middle kicks for 1 minute, then 10 right middle kicks, then double right middle kicks at the 2 minute mark of the round until 30 seconds, then right middle kicks non-stop during final 30 seconds of the round
  • 1 round of jab-left teep, jab-left teep, jab-feint left teep-right elbow, jab-feint left teep-right elbow-pivot to the left and bring opponents right hand down-right middle kick

30 minutes of situational sparring

• feint left teep-hop with right leg-right elbow
  • feint left teep-hop with right leg-right middle kick
  • feint left teep-hop with right leg-right middle kick-straight right to the body-left hook to the head-pivot to the left and bring opponents right hand down-right middle kick
  • feint left teep-push opponent

Finisher

• 20 situps standups
  • Felt fatigued on the pad work. I had a big meal 2 hours before training so that may have contributed. I went food shopping at Whole Foods and am making a serious commitment to eating healthy. I had half a plate of brown rice, organic avocados, half a plate of salmon, and red potatoes. I had two plate servings worth

Thai Boxing - 2 hours

10 minutes of running

100 alternating knees immediately after running

30 left middle kick and 30 right middle kicks immediately after alternating knees

• 20 pushups during 30 second rest

200 punches using 3lb dumbbells in each hand immediately after alternating knees

30 left middle kicks and 30 right middle kicks immediately after 200 punches

8 rounds (4 minutes each round, 30 second rest) of sparring

3 rounds (4 minutes each round) holding mitts

3 rounds (4 minutes each round) on mitts

• 1 round of jab-cross-hook and jab-cross-hook-cross-hook-cross-hook-cross, speed punches during final 1 minute of the round
  • 1 round of left uppercut-cross-hook-cross-hook-cross and right uppercut-hook-cross-hook-cross, speed punches during final 1 minute of the round
  • 1 round of freestyle mitt work consisting of jab-cross-hook-cross-cross

Finisher

• 100 situps
  • By far my worst sparring performance. I haven’t sparred in nearly 1 month. I am still moving backwards whenever my opponent is throwing punches. Like I’ve mentioned before, this is a bad tendency and I need to stop it ASAP before it becomes a habit

• My endurance was a problem today. I’ve started a new diet. I am by no means trying to lose weight, I only want to eat healthier. It wasn’t that I was out of breathe or breathing hard. It was almost like my body had no energy

• I need to keep my hands up a lot more. Sometimes I’ll throw a combination and then have my hands down. Not good

• I got rocked today with a perfectly timed knee to the body. I paused and had to take 5 seconds to recover

• The only thing I did good today was throw and land the jab. This continues to be my best striking weapon.

• I threw a decent number of middle kicks but not enough. I have to throw the middle kicks in combination with punches more often

• The right uppercut landed effectively on some of the fighters who have a very thai hand positioning with elbows out

• I was hit with too many teeps kicks by one of the fighters

Sento, when I shadow box, I’ve been implementing your ideas on movement and thinking about where to move after throwing a combination. I simply couldn’t get off today and therefore didn’t really put it into play like I had hoped for. One of the fighters asked me if I was ok. I suspect he could see that something was up because it was my worst sparring performance in terms of moving back, not throwing enough, and having no energy

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

As far as training in various martial arts at the same time, I could squeeze in 1 Wrestling training session per week. [/quote]

Yes, similar line of thought.

More specifically what I mean is that all martial arts (or combat sports, or all physical activities for that matter) are based on the same principles of human biomechanics, Newtonian physics, and strategic concepts (Art of War stuff, behavioral conditioning, etc…). If we are going to use a Bruce Lee quote to liken this to then, “Unless there are humans with three arms and four legs, unless we have another group of human beings who are structurally different from us, there can be no different “style” of fighting.”

This is a Method based approach to combat, i.e. “How can I best utilize the tools at my disposal/in what different ways can I utilize my body as a weapon against an opponent?” When you truly analyze it, there are only so many ways that this can be done, and all Martial Arts/Combat Sports are variations of and based on these different ways. We break these down into 7 “Main Arsenals” which are (in no particular order of importance or preference):

1. Striking
  2. Grappling
  3. Eye Attacks
  4. Nerve Attacks
  5. Biting
  6. Body Handles
  7. Environmental weapons
    7A) Combat Specific/Conventional
    7B) Improvised/Unconventional

Now within each of these categories (or several of them, depending on the “art”) you can place all techniques/moves and Martial Arts/Combat Sports “styles”. For instance, Boxing and TKD (at least the sportive version) teach primarily Striking arsenal skills, Wrestling and Judo teach primarily Grappling arsenal skills, Kino Mutai teaches primarily biting skills, Point Shooting teaches primarily Combat Specific Environmental Weaponry skills, etc… Then you have arts which teach mixes of things. For instance, while Muay Thai teaches lots of Striking Arsenal skills, they also teach Clinch skills (which would fall under the category of Grappling Arsenal skills due to the fact that they are based on controlling, positioning, and transitioning between positions of control). Many Traditional Japanese Jiu-Jitsu “styles” teach both Grappling Arsenal skills in the forms of joint locks/breaks, pins, and controls/come alongs, but also teach Striking Arsenal skills in the form of “Atemi” which is designed to damage, weaken, and distract the opponent to make them easier to manipulate with the Grappling Arsenal skills. Kali teaches Striking Arsenal skills, Grappling Arsenal skills, and Environmental Weapons Arsenal skills in the form of blade and impact weapon skills.

And really I could go on forever with this process of categorizing things into these 7 Main Arsenals. The point though, which I hope I have conveyed, is that this process is designed to simplify all of the hundreds of thousands of “moves/techniques” found in the vast array of Martial Arts/Combat Sports “styles” out there today (or even forgotten from times past or yet to be “created”) into their essential forms and uncomplicate the process of learning and engaging in combat into it’s most basic, “root” form.

None of this is to say that techniques/moves are not an integral part of learning Martial Arts; because they most certainly are. “Moves” though are effective (or sometimes ineffective, but we won’t go there for now) applications of the underlying principles/methods of combat. When first learning, people must learn “moves” so they begin to understand how to apply these principles, and the better they adhere to the principles (and IMO understand them) the more effectively the techniques will work, or the more easily they will be able to adapt techniques that don’t, or discard them all together (if they are not based on said principles at all). This also makes learning new skills (regardless of what “style” they come from) much more easy and much less confusing.

For instance, let’s take punching as an example. Effective punching is based primarily on the Newtonian physiques equations of Kinetic Energy/Momentum:
KE=1/2M * V2 (Kinetic Energy equals one half of the mass of the object times it’s velocity squared)

Newton’s 3rd Law:
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction

and

The Law of the Lever/leverage

What this means is that in order for a punch to be effective it must have maximal mass, velocity, and some form of effective bracing mechanism so all of the force is transferred into the target. The better a punch adheres to these biomechanical and physical laws, the more effective it’ll be, and the less it adheres the less effective it’ll be, regardless of what “style” it comes from.

There are also of course other human performance laws that are at play which help determine the actual outcome of the punch on a living breathing target, but these are the basic “mechanical stages of learning”. [/quote]

Thanks Sento. As always, I learn something every time you post on my thread. You really do break things down in a concise and ease to understand way that really conveys your intelligence and fighting knowledge.

I had a really abysmally sparring session today. It has me thinking that I should pick up boxing again to work on foot movement, speed combinations, and develop better punching defense. I love Thai Boxing, but, these things aren’t addressed as well as they are in Western boxing.

Feel free to look at my post above regarding today’s training.

Thai Boxing - 2 hours

10 minutes of running

30 left middle kick and 30 right middle kicks immediately after alternating knees

200 punches using 3lb dumbbells in each hand immediately after alternating knees

• 1 round of jab-cross-hook and jab-cross-hook-cross-hook-cross-hook-cross, speed punches during final 1 minute of the round
  • 1 round of left uppercut-cross-hook-cross-hook-cross and right uppercut-hook-cross-hook-cross, speed punches during final 1 minute of the round

Finisher

• 100 situps
  • By far my worst sparring performance. I haven’t sparred in nearly 1 month. I am still moving backwards whenever my opponent is throwing punches. Like I’ve mentioned before, this is a bad tendency and I need to stop it ASAP before it becomes a habit

• My endurance was a problem today. I’ve started a new diet. I am by no means trying to lose weight, I only want to eat healthier. It wasn’t that I was out of breathe or breathing hard. It was almost like my body had no energy

• I need to keep my hands up a lot more. Sometimes I’ll throw a combination and then have my hands down. Not good

• I got rocked today with a perfectly timed knee to the body. I paused and had to take 5 seconds to recover

• The only thing I did good today was throw and land the jab. This continues to be my best striking weapon.

• I threw a decent number of middle kicks but not enough. I have to throw the middle kicks in combination with punches more often

• The right uppercut landed effectively on some of the fighters who have a very thai hand positioning with elbows out

Sento, when I shadow box, I’ve been implementing your ideas on movement and thinking about where to move after throwing a combination. I simply couldn’t get off today and therefore didn’t really put it into play like I had hoped for. One of the fighters asked me if I was ok. I suspect he could see that something was up because it was my worst sparring performance in terms of moving back, not throwing enough, and having no energy[/quote]

First, everybody has crappy days where nothing seems to be working and you’re kind of “in a fog” mentally, so don’t get down on yourself. Try to learn from it and develop drills or at least shadow boxing sequences to help you fix those bad habits/issues you have developed. We all make mistakes, but not all of us learn from our mistakes and use them to better ourselves; be one of the ones who does.

Wanting to step straight back when your opponent throws punches is a common tendency (and may also mean you are a “runner” by nature) and is ok to do sometimes, just not all the time or against an aggressive opponent. Really the only way to remedy this is to retrain yourself to respond different with lots of repetitions of drilling other defensive tactics (best option would be with a good training partner actually throwing the attacks at you, second best would be with a good mitt holder simulating punches with the mitts, third best would be visualizing the attacks coming and practicing them shadow boxing style/in the air). Your current habits which you don’t want have been built via repetition, so what you need is simply more repetition of the habits you want to have.

My suggestion would be to develop 1 solid defensive skill against the common lead off techniques that you encounter (jab, lead Teep, rear round kick, maybe left hook, etc…) where you hold your ground, one where you “crash the line/intercept”, and one where you back up. This will give you the ability to keep your opponent guessing about how you will respond when they throw their lead off technique, make them hesitate and therefore allow you to slow them down and hopefully get off your lead off techniques more consistently.

Since the jab is probably the most commonly thrown lead off technique I’ll use it as an example, but if there is a lead off technique that you have particular trouble with and want some options against let me know.

Against the lead jab:
-Backing up- catch the jab with the rear hand (this is essentially just opening up the right hand like you are going to catch a ball being thrown at you and right as the punch is a few inches away from your face reaching forward to “catch” it while simultaneously stepping back with the rear foot and then circling off back to your right so the opponent cannot run you down with subsequent attacks. this is a very passive defense, but should get you out of harm’s way relatively consistently

-Holding your ground-Cuff the jab and then cut over the arm with a straight right or overhand right cross counter (depending on how well your opponent keeps their chin tucked into their lead shoulder when they throw the jab). A cuff is similar to a party, except you deflect the punch diagonally down towards your lead pec rather than straight across yoir center line. This is one of the most basic defensive and counters against the jab, but that’s because it’s relatively simple and easy to pull off and effective.

-Crashing the line/intercepting-Lead leg teep to the chest/solar plexus/left ribs/hip. Essentially as soon as you see your opponent start to come forward you will lean your shoulders back away placing your weight onto your rear foot (the hip should remain in front of your rear foot though so you maintain an effective drive/brace leg) which should make your lead leg light and allow you to raise it up between you and your opponent. You want to raise the leg only slightly bent so even if you at a little late the leg will act like a wedge/barrier between you and your opponent and at worst push you back out of harm’s way. At best though once you get the leg up in place you will extend the knee and ankle into your full Teep as the opponent walks into it (which will add power/impact).

There are of course multiple defensive and countering tactics for each option, but these are a few of the first ones we teach fighters/students due to their simplicity and effectiveness.

Now just drill the crap out of each one until it becomes something you don’t have to think about how to execute. Then start working them into your sparring, mixing up which one you use so your opponent doesn’t know how you are going to react.

Hope this helps.

Watch this video with GM Lewis and GM Wallace. Towards the end GM Lewis breaks down the order in which skills should be developed if you ever want to gain true confidence and accuracy in them. Sadly most Martial Arts and Combat Sports fail to respect/follow this progression.

Sensei Joe Lewis & Sensei Bill Wallace at the NEC 2011 - YouTube

Judo - 1 hour and 20 minutes

20 minutes of uchikomi

• koshi guruma (left handed and right handed)
  • osoto gari (left handed and right handed)
  • ippon seoinage (left handed and right handed)

45 minutes of standup technical drilling

• koshi guruma (moving forward and backwards)
  • osoto gari (moving forward and backwards)
  • ippon seoinage (moving forward and backwards)

15 minutes of ground work technical drilling

• 9 pins
  • 3 turnovers into pins when opponent is in turtle
  • grip takedown when my opponent and I are on our knees - same side lapel grip, push back, pull left, pull right, and pull front

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

Thai Boxing - 2 hours

10 minutes of running

Finisher

• 100 situps

Sento, when I shadow box, I’ve been implementing your ideas on movement and thinking about where to move after throwing a combination. I simply couldn’t get off today and therefore didn’t really put it into play like I had hoped for. One of the fighters asked me if I was ok. I suspect he could see that something was up because it was my worst sparring performance in terms of moving back, not throwing enough, and having no energy[/quote]

First, everybody has crappy days where nothing seems to be working and you’re kind of “in a fog” mentally, so don’t get down on yourself. Try to learn from it and develop drills or at least shadow boxing sequences to help you fix those bad habits/issues you have developed. We all make mistakes, but not all of us learn from our mistakes and use them to better ourselves; be one of the ones who does.

Wanting to step straight back when your opponent throws punches is a common tendency (and may also mean you are a “runner” by nature) and is ok to do sometimes, just not all the time or against an aggressive opponent. Really the only way to remedy this is to retrain yourself to respond different with lots of repetitions of drilling other defensive tactics (best option would be with a good training partner actually throwing the attacks at you, second best would be with a good mitt holder simulating punches with the mitts, third best would be visualizing the attacks coming and practicing them shadow boxing style/in the air). Your current habits which you don’t want have been built via repetition, so what you need is simply more repetition of the habits you want to have.

My suggestion would be to develop 1 solid defensive skill against the common lead off techniques that you encounter (jab, lead Teep, rear round kick, maybe left hook, etc…) where you hold your ground, one where you “crash the line/intercept”, and one where you back up. This will give you the ability to keep your opponent guessing about how you will respond when they throw their lead off technique, make them hesitate and therefore allow you to slow them down and hopefully get off your lead off techniques more consistently.

Since the jab is probably the most commonly thrown lead off technique I’ll use it as an example, but if there is a lead off technique that you have particular trouble with and want some options against let me know.

Against the lead jab:
-Backing up- catch the jab with the rear hand (this is essentially just opening up the right hand like you are going to catch a ball being thrown at you and right as the punch is a few inches away from your face reaching forward to “catch” it while simultaneously stepping back with the rear foot and then circling off back to your right so the opponent cannot run you down with subsequent attacks. this is a very passive defense, but should get you out of harm’s way relatively consistently

-Holding your ground-Cuff the jab and then cut over the arm with a straight right or overhand right cross counter (depending on how well your opponent keeps their chin tucked into their lead shoulder when they throw the jab). A cuff is similar to a party, except you deflect the punch diagonally down towards your lead pec rather than straight across yoir center line. This is one of the most basic defensive and counters against the jab, but that’s because it’s relatively simple and easy to pull off and effective.

-Crashing the line/intercepting-Lead leg teep to the chest/solar plexus/left ribs/hip. Essentially as soon as you see your opponent start to come forward you will lean your shoulders back away placing your weight onto your rear foot (the hip should remain in front of your rear foot though so you maintain an effective drive/brace leg) which should make your lead leg light and allow you to raise it up between you and your opponent. You want to raise the leg only slightly bent so even if you at a little late the leg will act like a wedge/barrier between you and your opponent and at worst push you back out of harm’s way. At best though once you get the leg up in place you will extend the knee and ankle into your full Teep as the opponent walks into it (which will add power/impact).

There are of course multiple defensive and countering tactics for each option, but these are a few of the first ones we teach fighters/students due to their simplicity and effectiveness.

Now just drill the crap out of each one until it becomes something you don’t have to think about how to execute. Then start working them into your sparring, mixing up which one you use so your opponent doesn’t know how you are going to react.

Hope this helps.
[/quote]

Thanks for the words of encouragement Sento. I will shadow box and visualize my opponent throwing punches at time and will then counter.

I think shadow boxing will help me out a lot with this. I am also going to look into a boxing gym to supplement my muay thai. When I use to strictly train boxing, I never use to walk back in a straight line when I use to spar.

Thanks for the suggestions on how to respond to the lead hand/leg attacks. Hopefully I can put it into play. I plan on sparring tomorrow night.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Watch this video with GM Lewis and GM Wallace. Towards the end GM Lewis breaks down the order in which skills should be developed if you ever want to gain true confidence and accuracy in them. Sadly most Martial Arts and Combat Sports fail to respect/follow this progression.

Sensei Joe Lewis & Sensei Bill Wallace at the NEC 2011 - YouTube

I just watched the video. Excellent points. I agree wholeheartedly. I think the progression of skills that he mentions will give fighters a strong rooting in the fundamentals.

On a side note, I’ve missed a few training sessions this week due to my terrible and unpredictable work schedule. Sometimes I wish I had a normal 9am-5pm schedule so I could train 5 to 6 times per week. Getting home at 4:30am has really affected my ability to wake up by 11:00am and 12:00pm to make it to the 1:00pm training sessions. Sometimes I want to push myself to go train and then other days I think to myself, I am sacrificing sleep and am using up a lot of endurance which is not a combination to have out on the streets when I work at night.

That was way off topic but I figured I should share it with you since you are an overall very knowledgeable guy.

That’s a tough one. On the one hand training is going to keep your skills sharp should things go physical. On the other hand the more well rested you are the sharper you will be mentally and the better your decision making skills will probably be, thus potentially preventing or avoiding a bad situation before it happens. Ideally you could strike a balance between the 2 or train hard on your off days when you can afford the extra energy and either rest or minimally train on the days when you need to be on point, but real life doesn’t always work that way. In the end it’s a judgement call that you’ll need to make as you know best what you can and can’t get away with rest wise, how high stakes your patrols are, and how far you are training wise from where you need/want to be.

Judo - 1 hour and 15 minutes

30 minutes of uchikomi

30 minutes of standup technical drilling

• o goshi (left handed and right handed)
  • foot sweeps

• sweeps from guard position
  • There were 5 of us training today (including the sensei). Too much talking and not enough training going on today, so I didn’t like that

• I am right handed and my firearm is on my right hip. My striking stance is orthodox (left leg is my lead leg) and when I do judo or wrestling, my left leg is also my lead leg. I told my sensei and he said I should learn both sides, but, of course, I should pick a dominant side which in my case would be my right side since I am right handed. When I was practicing o goshi, seoinage, and koshi guruma, my technique and speed was much better from a right handed grip (right leg forward as my lead leg)

Question for you guys, I will continue to train muay thai from an orthodox stance, but, should I learn judo with my right leg forward or should I do left leg forward so my stance is in unison with my muay thai stance?

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
That’s a tough one. On the one hand training is going to keep your skills sharp should things go physical. On the other hand the more well rested you are the sharper you will be mentally and the better your decision making skills will probably be, thus potentially preventing or avoiding a bad situation before it happens. Ideally you could strike a balance between the 2 or train hard on your off days when you can afford the extra energy and either rest or minimally train on the days when you need to be on point, but real life doesn’t always work that way. In the end it’s a judgement call that you’ll need to make as you know best what you can and can’t get away with rest wise, how high stakes your patrols are, and how far you are training wise from where you need/want to be.

[/quote]

Thanks Sento. Excellent points. The last few days I was working and not training. I was essentially sleeping a full 8 hours and my energy was very good at work. I felt mentally and physically sharp. Whenever I go to train in the afternoon before work, I never feel as mentally and physically sharp as I do when I don’t train. Obviously, to get better I have to train consistently. I will train hard on my days off and will try to train before work in the afternoon but won’t push hard at all to reserve all of my energy for work.

30 minutes of uchikomi

• foot sweeps

• There were 5 of us training today (including the sensei). Too much talking and not enough training going on today, so I didn’t like that

• I am right handed and my firearm is on my right hip. My striking stance is orthodox (left leg is my lead leg) and when I do judo or wrestling, my left leg is also my lead leg. I told my sensei and he said I should learn both sides, but, of course, I should pick a dominant side which in my case would be my right side since I am right handed. When I was practicing o goshi, seoinage, and koshi guruma, my technique and speed was much better from a right handed grip (right leg forward as my lead leg)

Question for you guys, I will continue to train muay thai from an orthodox stance, but, should I learn judo with my right leg forward or should I do left leg forward so my stance is in unison with my muay thai stance? [/quote]

Personally I prefer a left lead stance when grappling (and would advise using a left lead stance when armed as well) for several reasons:

1. I train striking primarily from a left lead stance. I can do both and will switch between the two (and also go side stance at times, crouch, etc…) while drilling or sparring to mix things up, but left lead is my most comfortable/well developed position. If I trained my grappling primarily from a right lead like most wrestlers do, then I would have to switch my stance whenever fighting in order to switch gears, which would be a big telegraph for a savvy opponent that I was going to change gears to grappling.

2. because most people who are righties are used to dealing with righty grips, collar ties, relative foot positions and right sides attacks, but are usually at least a little thrown off by lefty stuff at least initially. This can give you at least a momentary positional/timing advantage on them.

3. because if you are dealing with an unarmed opponent (and you are armed) you want your weapon in your rear hand. This places it further out of their reach so they can’t access it and use it against you or tie it up, and allows you to use your front hand to wedge, post, jam, strike, grab with, shield your vitals, or a number of other uses.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

30 minutes of uchikomi

• foot sweeps

Question for you guys, I will continue to train muay thai from an orthodox stance, but, should I learn judo with my right leg forward or should I do left leg forward so my stance is in unison with my muay thai stance? [/quote]

Personally I prefer a left lead stance when grappling (and would advise using a left lead stance when armed as well) for several reasons:

1. I train striking primarily from a left lead stance. I can do both and will switch between the two (and also go side stance at times, crouch, etc…) while drilling or sparring to mix things up, but left lead is my most comfortable/well developed position. If I trained my grappling primarily from a right lead like most wrestlers do, then I would have to switch my stance whenever fighting in order to switch gears, which would be a big telegraph for a savvy opponent that I was going to change gears to grappling.

2. because most people who are righties are used to dealing with righty grips, collar ties, relative foot positions and right sides attacks, but are usually at least a little thrown off by lefty stuff at least initially. This can give you at least a momentary positional/timing advantage on them.

3. because if you are dealing with an unarmed opponent (and you are armed) you want your weapon in your rear hand. This places it further out of their reach so they can’t access it and use it against you or tie it up, and allows you to use your front hand to wedge, post, jam, strike, grab with, shield your vitals, or a number of other uses.[/quote]

Thanks Sento. You really put this question I had into a clear context. I will heed your advice and lead from my left leg, especially since it is paramount to have my weapon on the rear.

I spoke with two of the guys from wrestling class today. They both started out in muay thai and because of the years of having to lead with the left leg forward (they are both right handed), it just felt more natural to them to lead left leg forward in wrestling. They both favor their striking, too.

Wrestling - 1 hour and 30 minutes

10 minutes of sparring

• I sparred against two guys a total of three times
  • I scored two points for one throw, and threw another guy, but, his back didn’t hit the mat, and I thought just throwing him was good enough, but, when I paused since I thought it was over, he ended up taking my back and scored two points

1 hour of standup technical drilling

• going over underhooks, butterfly, single leg entry
  • how to get out of an underhook, push and pull, stance
  • single leg takedown

20 minutes of groundwork technical drilling

• when in turtle and opponent tries to control by placing hand across back, use an underhook
  • how to get out of an underhook
  • how to take opponents back after he gets out of an underhook on the ground
  • Really good class. I will try to add wrestling to my training. It will only help my grappling

• My balance, grip, and throw from judo translated really well into wrestling today

Thai Boxing - 2 hours and 30 minutes

10 minutes of running using 3lb dumbbells in each hand

• running with 3lb dumbbells above shoulders during final minute

50 pushups immediately after running

200 punches immediately after pushups

100 alternating knees immediately after 200 punches

• speed punches using 3lb dumbbells in each hand during 30 second rest period

• speed punches using 3lb dumbbells in each hand during 30 second rest period

20 pushups immediately after speed punches

Thai heavy bag work

• 30 left middle kicks and 30 right middle kicks
  • (1) right middle kick-right middle kick, (2) right middle kick-right middle kick, (3) right middle kick-right middle kick, (4) right middle kick-right middle kick, (5) right middle kick-right middle kick, (6) right middle kick-right middle kick, (7) right middle kick-right middle kick, (8) right middle kick-right middle kick, (9) right middle kick-right middle kick, (10) right middle kick-right middle kick
  • (1) left middle kick-left middle kick, (2) left middle kick-left middle kick, (3) left middle kick-left middle kick, (4) left middle kick-left middle kick, (5) left middle kick-left middle kick, (6) left middle kick-left middle kick, (7) left middle kick-left middle kick, (8) left middle kick-left middle kick, (9) left middle kick-left middle kick, (10) left middle kick-left middle kick
  • 10 right middle kicks, then training partner throws 10 right middle kicks
  • 10 left middle kicks, then training partner throws 10 left middle kicks

Thai pad work

• 10 right middle kicks, followed by training partner throwing 10 right middle kicks
  • 10 right middle kicks, followed by training partner throwing 10 right middle kicks
  • 10 left middle kicks, followed by training partner throwing 10 left middle kicks
  • 10 left middle kicks, followed by training partner throwing 10 left middle kicks
  • right middle kick, right middle kick-right middle kick, followed by training partner throwing the same combination
  • right middle kick, right middle kick-right middle kick, followed by training partner throwing the same combination
  • left middle kick, left middle kick-left middle kick, followed by training partner throwing the same combination
  • left middle kick, left middle kick-left middle kick, followed by training partner throwing the same combination

10 rounds (4 minutes each round, 30 second rest between rounds) of sparring

10 minutes of clinching

Finisher

• 100 alternating knees on the thai heavy bag
  • 100 situps
  • 100 pushups
  • One of my best, if not, best sparring session today. I sparred in a very controlled manner. I dictated the action and had a lot of success breaking my opponents rhythm by using the jab every time before they tried to set up. My jab landed a lot and I was very happy about that. I even mixed it up and threw the jab to the body

• I focused a lot today on throwing the jab, defense, countering, moving laterally, and breaking my opponents rhythm

• One of the issues I was having during my previous sparring sessions was that I would back up in a straight line a lot when defending against strikes. I am glad to say that this was on my mind the entire sparring session and I did not back up at all today. I applied more forward pressure and I was moving laterally

• I need to throw my kicks more in combinations with my punches instead of throwing a kick without setting it up with punches. I did this a lot today and some guys were able to catch and grab my leg

• Overall very happy with my performance today. I have a lot to work on, but, I definitely improved today. Thanks again to Sento for all the help

15 minutes of uchikomi

• tai otoshi (moving forward, backwards, and laterally in both directions)

30 minutes of ground work technical drilling

• 5 turnovers into pins when opponent is in turtle