Warmup

• 7 minutes of calisthenics without rest

6 rounds on thai pads

• 1 round of right middle kicks
  • 1 round of left middle kicks
  • 1 round of switch kicks from both sides
  • 1 round of jab-cross-hook-right middle kick-jab
  • 1 round of jab-cross-hook-right middle kick-cross-left middle kick
  • 1 round of jab-cross-hook-right low kick-block the hook-hook-cross-left middle kick

6 rounds holding thai pads

Pyramids on the thai pads

• sets of 2 (right middle kick-right middle kick, left middle kick-left middle kick, jab-cross, right knee-left knee)
  • sets of 4 (right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick, left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick, jab-cross-jab-cross, right knee-left knee-right knee-left knee)
  • sets of 6 (right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick, left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick, jab-cross-jab-cross-jab-cross, right knee-left knee-right knee-left knee-right knee-left knee)
  • sets of 8 (right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick, left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick, jab-cross-jab-cross-jab-cross-jab-cross, right knee-left knee-right knee-left knee-right knee-left knee-right knee-left knee)
  • sets of 10 (right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick, left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick, jab-cross-jab-cross-jab-cross-jab-cross-jab-cross, right knee-left knee-right knee-left knee-right knee-left knee-right knee-left knee-right knee-left knee)
  • sets of 9 (right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick, left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick, jab-cross-jab-cross-jab-cross-jab-cross-jab, right knee-left knee-right knee-left knee-right knee-left knee-right knee-left knee-right knee)
  • sets of 7 (right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick, left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick, jab-cross-jab-cross-jab-cross-jab, right knee-left knee-right knee-left knee-right knee-left knee-right knee
  • sets of 5 (right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick, left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick, left middle kick, jab-cross-jab-cross-jab, right knee-left knee-right knee-left knee-right knee)
  • sets of 3 (right middle kick-right middle kick-right middle kick, left middle kick-left middle kick-left middle kick, jab-cross-jab, right knee-left knee-right knee)
  • sets of 1 (right middle kick, left middle kick, jab, right knee)
  • I felt exhausted today and I think it is due to yesterday’s 3 hours of training. I had 8 hours of sleep, too.

• I have to really move my hips more when I am throwing kicks. I have to ingrain it into my mind and muscle memory to really move my hips to throw a technically sound kick

• Stay on the balls of my foot with the leg that is not kicking

[quote]fearnloathingnyc wrote:
Judo - 1 hour and 30 minutes

60 minutes drilling technique

• Seoi-nage from both sides (5 sets of 5 from both sides) completed the first sets in a deliberate manner and then in a quick fashion
  • Sweeps with training partner
  • Shoulder throw from knee on mat position

15 minutes drilling kesa gatame escapes

• put free leg up, arm underneath it, arm grabs lapel and pulls it down along with opponents head
  • shrimp, grab lapel with free hand, and push opponents head to the ground as you pull the other hand out

5 minutes drilling defense against choke from kesa gatame position

• place hand which opponent is trying to choke you with and place the open hand onto your face to create resistance to prevent the arm moving
  • if opponent has arm crossed over and to put the choke on, make a fist with that hand and use the other hand to push both hands and elbow into opponents neck

10 minutes of newaza

• I am noticing some really good improvements in my Seoi-nage and today I was able to get in a nice kesa gatame during newaza and then set up the arm bar once I had the arm trapped [/quote]

By the choke from Kesa, are you referring to an “Arm Triangle” (not certain of the Judo name for it)? If so those defenses are incomplete and won’t really get you out of the position.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

• Seoi-nage from both sides (5 sets of 5 from both sides) completed the first sets in a deliberate manner and then in a quick fashion

• put free leg up, arm underneath it, arm grabs lapel and pulls it down along with opponents head
  • shrimp, grab lapel with free hand, and push opponents head to the ground as you pull the other hand out

• place hand which opponent is trying to choke you with and place the open hand onto your face to create resistance to prevent the arm moving
  • if opponent has arm crossed over and to put the choke on, make a fist with that hand and use the other hand to push both hands and elbow into opponents neck

10 minutes of newaza

• I am noticing some really good improvements in my Seoi-nage and today I was able to get in a nice kesa gatame during newaza and then set up the arm bar once I had the arm trapped [/quote]

By the choke from Kesa, are you referring to an “Arm Triangle” (not certain of the Judo name for it)? If so those defenses are incomplete and won’t really get you out of the position.[/quote]

Yes, I am referring to the arm triangle choke. I know against a good judo player that it is going to be nearly impossible to get out of kesa gatame.

Thai Boxing - 1 hour and 30 minutes

10 minutes of running mixed in with:

• 20 alternating knees on the thai heavy bag
  • sprints during the final 30 seconds of running

Thai heavy bag work (immediately after sprints, no rest):

• 100 alternating knees on the thai heavy bag
  • right middle kick-right middle kick, right middle kick-right middle kick, right middle kick-right middle kick, right middle kick-right middle kick, right middle kick-right middle kick, right middle kick-right middle kick, right middle kick-right middle kick, right middle kick-right middle kick, right middle kick-right middle kick, right middle kick-right middle kick
  • left middle kick-left middle kick, left middle kick-left middle kick, left middle kick-left middle kick, left middle kick-left middle kick, left middle kick-left middle kick, left middle kick-left middle kick, left middle kick-left middle kick, left middle kick-left middle kick, left middle kick-left middle kick, left middle kick-left middle kick
  • 30 right middle kicks and 30 left middle kicks on the thai heavy bag
  • 50 right knees and 50 left knees on the thai heavy bag
  • kick for kick on the thai heavy bag with training partner until we completed 30 right middle kicks and 30 left middle kicks

15 rounds of boxing work (immediately after kick for kick, no rest)

• 2 rounds of jab-cross
  • 2 rounds of jab-cross-slip the jab-cross-hook
  • 1 round of jab-cross-slip the jab-cross-hook-cross
  • 1 round of jab-left uppercut
  • 1 round of jab-left uppercut-left hook
  • 1 round of jab-jab-cross to the body-hook to the body-hook to the head
  • 1 round of jab-jab-cross to the body-hook to the body-hook to the head-hook to the head
  • 1 round of lead hand to opponents face to cover his face-right hook to the body-right uppercut
  • 1 round of thai right hook to the face
  • 4 rounds of jab, jab-jab, jab-cross-hook, cross-hook, jab-cross-jab-cross. First 30 seconds and final 30 seconds of each round fast jab-crosses. The combinations were after the first 30 seconds of the round and the combinations were before the final 30 seconds of each round. 30 seconds of rest between rounds

100 alternating knees on the thai heavy bag after 30 seconds of rest following the final boxing round

1 round (4 minutes) of jab-cross using 3lb dumbbells in each hand

1 round (4 minutes) of alternating knees using 3lb dumbbells in each hand

Finisher:

• 20 pushups
  • 100 situps
  • 50 pushups
  • My kicks felt a lot more fluid and harder tonight and my endurance was much better than Wednesday nights performance

• I have to start kicking higher on the thai heavy bag. I throw a lot of middle kicks and low kicks. I need to mix it up and throw some head kicks

15 minute warmup

• Various front break falls
  • Forward rolls
  • Rolls into pins

30 minutes of Uchikomi

• Osoto gari

15 minutes of pin work

• when opponent is in turtle, from his left side, grab his right lapel with my left hand, move to his right from the back, push his right elbow away, and turn lapel which will cause opponent to fall to his back, then the pin is performed

6 rounds of live sparring

• 3 rounds of newaza
  • 3 rounds of randori
  • On my osoto gari, I have to really bend the knee that is hooking opponents leg and make it reach the top

• During randori, I have to be more loose and grip hard when I am getting ready to throw

• Circling my opponent is crucial during randori

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

10 minutes of newaza

By the choke from Kesa, are you referring to an “Arm Triangle” (not certain of the Judo name for it)? If so those defenses are incomplete and won’t really get you out of the position.[/quote]

Yes, I am referring to the arm triangle choke. I know against a good judo player that it is going to be nearly impossible to get out of kesa gatame.
[/quote]

It depends. There are ways out you just have to have your technique (both mechanics and timing, judgement, speed, and accuracy) good enough to pull them off. There is no inescapable position, you just have to be able to adjust to their adjustments before they can re-establish a solid position (create movement as that creates instability).

As for the arm triangle, there are early defenses/escapes, mid way defenses/escapes, and late defenses/escapes. You have to know how far you are into the technique and choose an appropriate escape/defense.

The escape you are talking about goes as follows (this is a midway escape/defense by the way), for illustrative purposes we’ll say they are arm triangling your right arm:

1. make a fist with your right hand, angle your right forearm across your body and put your right fist into your left Palm. This should allow you to create a frame (we call it a “battering ram”) so you can push your right tricep into your opponent and create place to free up your right carotid

2. once you have made some space you want to bend your right arm further and place the inside of your right wrist against the right side of your head (just above your temple if possible) and place your left hand on the inside of your right elbow continuing to frame (we call this “answering the phone”)

3. once you have this frame you want to give the inside of your right elbow a little “smack” (or shove if your rules don’t allow for smacking) while simultaneously trying to bring your right shoulder under you in order to turn into the opponent. This process may take you several smacks/shoves and you need to be sure that you maintain any ground you gain from each movement (don’t smack/shove and release but rather smack/shove and hold). Eventually your right elbow will touch the ground, you will break their grip and you will be on your side. From here frame on their face with your left hand/wrist/forearm and push youtself (or them) away and you may even wind up with a reverse arm bar on their right arm; most of the time though they will bend the arm and snake it over your head (giving you the arm drag/their back, or give you a Kimura type control and roll to their back to avoid the pressure on their shoulder.

This is a solid high percentage mid point arm triangle escape/defense.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

10 minutes of newaza

[/quote]

It depends. There are ways out you just have to have your technique (both mechanics and timing, judgement, speed, and accuracy) good enough to pull them off. There is no inescapable position, you just have to be able to adjust to their adjustments before they can re-establish a solid position (create movement as that creates instability).

As for the arm triangle, there are early defenses/escapes, mid way defenses/escapes, and late defenses/escapes. You have to know how far you are into the technique and choose an appropriate escape/defense.

The escape you are talking about goes as follows (this is a midway escape/defense by the way), for illustrative purposes we’ll say they are arm triangling your right arm:

1. make a fist with your right hand, angle your right forearm across your body and put your right fist into your left Palm. This should allow you to create a frame (we call it a “battering ram”) so you can push your right tricep into your opponent and create place to free up your right carotid

2. once you have made some space you want to bend your right arm further and place the inside of your right wrist against the right side of your head (just above your temple if possible) and place your left hand on the inside of your right elbow continuing to frame (we call this “answering the phone”)

3. once you have this frame you want to give the inside of your right elbow a little “smack” (or shove if your rules don’t allow for smacking) while simultaneously trying to bring your right shoulder under you in order to turn into the opponent. This process may take you several smacks/shoves and you need to be sure that you maintain any ground you gain from each movement (don’t smack/shove and release but rather smack/shove and hold). Eventually your right elbow will touch the ground, you will break their grip and you will be on your side. From here frame on their face with your left hand/wrist/forearm and push youtself (or them) away and you may even wind up with a reverse arm bar on their right arm; most of the time though they will bend the arm and snake it over your head (giving you the arm drag/their back, or give you a Kimura type control and roll to their back to avoid the pressure on their shoulder.

This is a solid high percentage mid point arm triangle escape/defense.
[/quote]

You explained that better than I could have and covered the details very well in points # 2 and # 3.

The part you mention about placing the inside of my right wrist against the right side of my head (just above my temple) and giving the inside of my right elbow a little smack while simultaneously trying to bring my right shoulder under me in order to turn into the opponent, are both very helpful because I didn’t think of it in those terms and you added a lot more details to my previous understanding.

I can’t wait to try this escape on one of my training partners who is a black belt in Judo. Whenever we roll in BJJ, he always catches everyone in BJJ in the kesa gatame and no one can get out. I know it will be tough to get out but I think I will surprise him with my improvements. I’ll let you guys know how I perform against him next time.

I haven’t been able to train due to a crappy cold that I have. Sore throat, headache, stuffy nose, and fatigue. Yesterday I went up one flight of stairs and it felt like I had finished training for 3 hours.

I did some very light and short shadow boxing for 5 minutes today. I don’t want to push it. Ideally, I would try to train at the gym, but, the right thing to do is not get others sick and to continue to recover. I am going to take theraflu today and I’ll see if I feel good enough to train tomorrow.

Cool, glad I could help.

Just in case you get caught in real deep or can’t get enough space with your “battering ram”, here is my favorite late stage escape(s):

Your opponent has your right arm trapped/arm triangled…

1. kick your hips/up in the air and bring your knees up towards your head as best you can. When they are as close as possible try to put the back of your right hand behind your right hamstring (the closer to your knee the better), keep your leg semi bent at least as this makes for an easier hook

2. once you have this hook you want to use your downward momentum (you should think of this as a dynamic movement, if you pause in between it won’t be as effective) to kick your feet down towards the floor which should cause you to begin to sit up as your upper body and legs should now be connected via your hand behind your leg, and this start to roll your opponent backwards

From here you will get a few results:
-first is you manage to sit up. Once on your butt you will need to slightly rotate your legs to your left. If you find the right angle you will be able to drop your opponent into the hole and will wind up in a modified Kesa of your own. Now you want to bring your right arm back across to your right as you turn into them into side control

-second you manage to sit up but as you attempt to rotate to put them on their back they attempt to loosen their grip and slip behind you. As soon as you feel this shift you want to drop your right shoulder to the floor (there will be space as they will be on their knees at this point), let your right arm go limp and push yourself away with your left arm; this should let you slip out of their grip. Now just get back to your knees and disengage to start back at neutral.

-third is they are very strong, very heavy, or just determined to not let you sit up so they block your sit up and attempt to put you back on your back. As soon as you feel them stop your sit up do a backwards roll over your left shoulder. Sometimes they will release their grip and stay on their knees. You may wind up with a modified Kimura in this case or at least top turtle. Sometimes they will hold on and you will wind up essentially Peterson Rolling them (wrestling move) and again wind up in the same modified Kesa as you would if you sat up.

Hope this makes sense and helps. I personally usually get the back roll version against big guys or guys who really want to hold me down.

Squats

Squats Warmup
90 x 5
110 x 5
130 x 3

Squats 5/3/1

140 x 5
165 x 5
185 x 5

Squats 5 x 10

125 x 5
115 x 5
105 x 5
95 x 5
85 x 5

Chin-ups

BW x 10
BW x 10
BW x 10
BW x 10
BW x 10

Neck Harness

90 x 100
90 x 100
90 x 100

Neck Curls

45 x 50
45 x 50
45 x 50

Neck Side Raises

35 x 50
35 x 50
35 x 50

Keep her lit man, you’re doing great!

10 minute warmup

• forward rolls, running forward, running backwards, running side to side
  • breakfalls (front and back) and pull from the ground with elbows in

30 minutes of Uchikomi

• Osoto Gari
  • Uchi Mata (Inner Thigh Throw)
  • Kosoto Gari (Small Outside Reap)
  • Harai Tsurikomi Ashi (Lifting Pulling Foot Sweep)
  • Deashi Harai (Forward Foot Sweep)

30 minutes drilling technique

• Kesa Gatame
  • Yoko Shiho Gatame
  • Tate Shiho Gatame
  • Kami Shiho Gatame
  • Kuzure Kami Shio Gatame
  • Kata Gatame

20 minutes of sparring

• 3 rounds (2 minutes each round) of newaza
  • 3 rounds (2 minutes each round) of randori
  • I haven’t been to Judo in almost 2 weeks and my conditioning during randori definitely showed this. I need to attack more. I was waiting too much, instead of rapidly attacking and countering quickly off of opponents moves

• I am having a lot of fun with Judo. It really is a beautiful martial art and the culture and respect makes it even that much more appealing

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Cool, glad I could help.

Just in case you get caught in real deep or can’t get enough space with your “battering ram”, here is my favorite late stage escape(s):

Your opponent has your right arm trapped/arm triangled…

1. kick your hips/up in the air and bring your knees up towards your head as best you can. When they are as close as possible try to put the back of your right hand behind your right hamstring (the closer to your knee the better), keep your leg semi bent at least as this makes for an easier hook

2. once you have this hook you want to use your downward momentum (you should think of this as a dynamic movement, if you pause in between it won’t be as effective) to kick your feet down towards the floor which should cause you to begin to sit up as your upper body and legs should now be connected via your hand behind your leg, and this start to roll your opponent backwards

From here you will get a few results:
-first is you manage to sit up. Once on your butt you will need to slightly rotate your legs to your left. If you find the right angle you will be able to drop your opponent into the hole and will wind up in a modified Kesa of your own. Now you want to bring your right arm back across to your right as you turn into them into side control

-second you manage to sit up but as you attempt to rotate to put them on their back they attempt to loosen their grip and slip behind you. As soon as you feel this shift you want to drop your right shoulder to the floor (there will be space as they will be on their knees at this point), let your right arm go limp and push yourself away with your left arm; this should let you slip out of their grip. Now just get back to your knees and disengage to start back at neutral.

-third is they are very strong, very heavy, or just determined to not let you sit up so they block your sit up and attempt to put you back on your back. As soon as you feel them stop your sit up do a backwards roll over your left shoulder. Sometimes they will release their grip and stay on their knees. You may wind up with a modified Kimura in this case or at least top turtle. Sometimes they will hold on and you will wind up essentially Peterson Rolling them (wrestling move) and again wind up in the same modified Kesa as you would if you sat up.

Hope this makes sense and helps. I personally usually get the back roll version against big guys or guys who really want to hold me down.[/quote]

Sento, you are a wealth of knowledge. I’m glad I have a guy like you outside of the gym to offer help. I learned the two escapes you mentioned and I really like them a lot. I haven’t drilled since I was first introduced to them, so I need to practice these escapes more. The third escape you mentioned is new to me but sounds very appealing and practical. I just watched a video right now on the Peterson Roll. I like that I could end up with the ability to pin the guy after doing the Peterson Roll.

[quote]donnydarkoirl wrote:
Keep her lit man, you’re doing great![/quote]

Thanks brother, I appreciate you stopping by to look at the training log. Always feel free to chime in.

Friday, February 20th

Thai Boxing - 1 hour and 30 minutes

20 minutes of running mixed in with:

• 2 minutes of bear crawls
  • 2 minutes of sprints
  • 100 alternating knees on the thai heavy bag

Immediately after running:

• 1 minute of pushup hold
  • 1 minute of mountain climbers
  • 1 minute of plank hold

5 minutes of stretching after plank hold

Immediately after stretching

• 30 right middle kicks on the thai heavy bag
  • 30 left middle kicks on the thai heavy bag
  • 2 minutes of shadow boxing
  • running for 2 minutes after shadow boxing
  • 50 right middle kicks on the thai heavy bag
  • 50 left middle kicks on the thai heavy bag
  • 2 minute of shadow boxing

3 rounds holding thai pads

3 rounds (4 minutes each round, 30 second rest between rounds) on thai pads. Here are the combinations that I worked on:

• jab-cross-hook
  • jab-cross-hook-right middle kick
  • cross-hook-cross-left middle kick
  • right middle kick-right middle kick and left middle kick-left middle kick
  • jab-cross-hook-right knee
  • cross-hook-cross-left knee
  • right knee-right knee and left knee-left knee
  • jab-cross-jab-cross
  • right knee-right knee-right knee-right knee-right knee and left knee-left knee-left knee-left knee-left knee

10 minutes of clinch work

Thai heavy bag work with training partner

• 30 right middle kicks while training partner throws 30 left middle kicks
  • 30 left middle kicks while training partner throws 30 right middle kicks
  • 100 alternating knees

Finisher:

• 100 situps
  • When I am throwing high repetition kicks and knees in the 30 to 100 rep range, I have to keep the power maintained all throughout

Thai Boxing - 2 hours and 30 minutes

20 minutes of running mixed in with:

• 50 alternating knees
  • 50 alternating knees
  • 50 alternating knees
  • 50 alternating knees
  • 50 alternating knees

20 minutes of drills on the Web Ladder, non-stop, no rest:

• side to side on the web ladder
  • one leg hop (both right and left leg) on the web ladder
  • squat hold to a slight hop on the web ladder
  • bear crawls on the web ladder
  • plyometric lateral pushups on the web ladder
  • forward hops over cones after each drill on the web ladder
  • running inside and out of the thai heavy bags after the forward hops over the cones and then back to the web ladder drills
  • 2 jumps with high knees, 4 jumps with high knees, 6 jumps with high knees, 8 jumps with high knees, 10 jumps with high knees

100 alternating knees immediately after web ladder drills

2 minutes of shadow boxing immediately after alternating knees

14 rounds (4 minutes each round with 30 seconds rest between rounds) of technical sparring

• 2 rounds (4 minutes each round) of jab-push opponent-right middle kick
  • 2 rounds (4 minutes each round) of jab-push opponent-right low kick
  • 2 rounds (4 minutes each round) of jab-left elbow-right elbow-push opponent
  • 2 rounds (4 minutes each round) of jab-left teep
  • 2 rounds (4 minutes each round) of jab-block left teep by stepping to the side and deflecting it
  • 2 rounds (4 minutes each round) of opponent stepping in and then I pivot to the left, push his right hand down with my left hand and throw a right middle kick
  • 2 rounds (4 minutes each round) of jab-block left teep by catching it with my left hand underneath the foot and right hand above the ankle, then bring opponents leg up and pushing his leg back

5 rounds of sparring (4 minutes each round with 30 seconds rest between rounds)

• 1 round of me throwing only kicks and opponent throwing only punches
  • 1 round of me throwing only punches and opponent throwing only kicks
  • 3 rounds of throwing punches and kicks

50 pushups and 100 situps after sparring

10 minutes of the following (mostly consisted of jab-cross and alternating knees with 3lb dumbbells in each hand):

• jab-cross with 3lb dumbbells in each hand
  • alternating knees with 3lb dumbbells in each hand
  • 20 pushups
  • 1 minute of fast punches
  • running
  • sprints during final minute

Thai Heavy Bag Work

• 50 alternating knees
  • 50 alternating teeps
  • 30 right middle kicks
  • 30 left middle kicks

Finisher

• 100 situps
  • 100 pushups
  • This was a grueling and tough training session. I would rate it as my most difficult to date

• I found a lot of success throwing my jab. I need to throw it more often because nearly every time I threw my jab it landed

• I need to stop throwing my right cross to the body as if I were sparring in boxing. I bring my head down too much and I’m lucky I didn’t eat a flush kick

• Although my defense against punches to the head was good (definitely not where I want it to be) for now, I am disappointed about how many times I got kicked with my opponents right middle kick. It was almost like my left leg (lead leg) was chopped liver waiting to be devoured

• I also need to defend my body more because I got hit with a few hard leg kicks and punches to the body

• During the 3rd round of sparring I really slowed down. My opponent noticed this and capitalized in a few instances where I was focused only on defending and my offensive production rate was low as a result during the 3rd round

• Here are some things for me to keep in mind during my next sparring session:

• throw the jab as much as possible
  • throw the left middle kick and right middle kick more frequently. Use them in combinations
  • utilize the combinations that were worked on during technical sparring and apply them to sparring
  • check leg kicks, check leg kicks, check leg kicks, check leg kicks, check leg kicks, check leg kicks, check leg kicks!!!

Regarding throwing your right hand to the body (btw technically a “right cross” describes a right hand punch, be it a straight right hand, right hook, or overhand right, which crosses over the opponent’s left hand, so it’s very unlikely you are throwing a right cross to the body), if you set it up right you shouldn’t have to worry about getting kicked in the head because:

1. unless they draw your punch and therefore you are out of range, your right hand should knock them off balance even if they happen to throw their kick as you are throwing your punch (since your punch should be driving through their center of gravity and balance line as they attempt to rotate through to kick you)

2. if you can reach them with your right hand to the body your distance should smother their kick so even if it does catch you it will be with the upper shin which doesn’t have the same velocity/power as the lower shin, so it’s unlikely to really hurt you, especially when point 1 above is taken into consideration

That said, you should also always keep your left hand up to check any attacks coming from your left flank that may happen to get through anyway.

Judo - 2 hours

I attended a seminar today. We went over a bunch of sweeps, chokes, and single leg takedowns (which are now illegal in Judo)

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Regarding throwing your right hand to the body (btw technically a “right cross” describes a right hand punch, be it a straight right hand, right hook, or overhand right, which crosses over the opponent’s left hand, so it’s very unlikely you are throwing a right cross to the body), if you set it up right you shouldn’t have to worry about getting kicked in the head because:

1. unless they draw your punch and therefore you are out of range, your right hand should knock them off balance even if they happen to throw their kick as you are throwing your punch (since your punch should be driving through their center of gravity and balance line as they attempt to rotate through to kick you)

2. if you can reach them with your right hand to the body your distance should smother their kick so even if it does catch you it will be with the upper shin which doesn’t have the same velocity/power as the lower shin, so it’s unlikely to really hurt you, especially when point 1 above is taken into consideration

That said, you should also always keep your left hand up to check any attacks coming from your left flank that may happen to get through anyway. [/quote]

Thanks Sento. Amazing help as always. Yes, I was throwing the right hand to the body. There were a few instances when I was trying to get in to throw the right hand to the body but I got caught first with the right leg kick before I could come in for the right hand to the body. I think my trainer was saying not to bend down so much when I throw the right hand to the body because then I am exposing myself to a knee. He wants me to still throw the right hand to the body but with a more upright stance.

I did notice that when I threw the right hand to the body, my training partner wasn’t able to land clean kicks because like you said, the punch to the body smothered him.

Yesterday’s sparring session showed me that I need to spar a lot more.

Well, he is your trainer, you are trusting him with training you, and he is watching you spar in person, so if you take his advice I respect your decision. But, straight line punches like jabs and straight right hands must be thrown at shoulder height in order to generate maximal force and optimize mechanics. So you must lower the shoulders to the height of your target when throwing them to the body of you want to be able to really hurt people with them. Throwing punches to the body while remaining upright also decreases the range of the punch and opens your head up to easier left hook counters or getting clinched.

My suggestion would be to:

1. not lead off with it as it takes too long to get to the target and you may give your opponent enough time to catch you coming in but instead to throw it as a follow up to a jab or other lead off technique or throw it as a counter

2. turn your left knee/foot out to your left more (like you were about to start throwing a rear leg round kick) to allow you to “check” the kick (which is different than shin blocking it where you actually lift the leg and turn the shin out) as you throw the punch. You will take some impact on the top of your thigh, but they will be taking a right hand to the body (liver or solar plexus depending on how far they are able to rotate through before you land, and so they should be on the losing end of the exchange

3. make sure to keep your left hand/arm up just in case

4. don’t pause after throwing it but instead follow it with a left hook, left round kick, left knee or other left side attack which should take your head and body back across to your right and out of danger from their right leg; jam in/trap and clinch; or jab out and clear via distance (preferrably at an angle towards your right if you are worried about the right counter kick).

Hope this helps.