Tha Master Cleanse = Good Idea?

I dont know. Basically this is a fast and I am not sure that a 10 day fast without the supervision of a Doctor ( MD, ND, etc) would be a good idea. Paul Bragg lived until his 90s ( he died from a surfing accident at around 92 years of age!) was a big fan of fasting and fasted one day a week and couple of times a year did longer fasts. He was, by all accounts, in fantastic health. FYI, he lifted weights, too. You may have seen some of the products his company put out at Whole Foods, like Bragg Apple Cider, etc.

If you dont have the resources (read, money) to do this with the supervision of a doc, why dont you try a one-day fast and see how you feel? In the meantime, do a lot more research. I rarely do a fast but when I do one it is a one day fast. I generally feel very alert and focused during that day.

I once tried a 5 day fast and cannot report that I experienced miracles or acquired super powers…though I did have rancid breath at the end :slight_smile:

Although I think there may be some benefits to fasting if done correctly, I would suggest you approach it with a bit more caution and not embrace such a radical (and possibly harmful) program.

From the website.

“Will I feel hungry?
As this is a complete balance of minerals and
vitamins, you will not suffer from hunger pangs.”

Wow. So if I only ate multi’s, I would never feel hungry.

[quote]Brant_Drake wrote:
From the website.

“Will I feel hungry?

Wow. So if I only ate multi’s, I would never feel hungry.[/quote]

The response they give does not make sense. The truth is that after a couple of days of fasting you dont suffer from hunger pangs. I dont know why that is. Maybe somebody else here can explain.

[quote]entheogens wrote:
Brant_Drake wrote:
From the website.

“Will I feel hungry?

Wow. So if I only ate multi’s, I would never feel hungry.

The response they give does not make sense. The truth is that after a couple of days of fasting you dont suffer from hunger pangs. I dont know why that is. Maybe somebody else here can explain.
[/quote]

I would have to suspect that it would be due to a drop in metabolism while adapting to feeding on the body’s reserves. I have also heard that when truly starving, one’s ability to absorb nutrients is increased. Certain nutrients, like B-12, can be reabsorbed repeatedly once one’s body realizes it is not getting any more exogenous supply.

Most peoples’ notion of hunger is exaggerated anyway, much like the hunger for drugs a junkie might have.

Worst possible idea. Like others have said, a good way to lose all your muscle by starving yourself. Then when you introduce food, your body will store it nicely as fat.

There is a far better way to release toxins, its called exercise. Hit the weights and your cardio/esw. When you sweat, your body releases toxins.

if you want to do extra, take some extra psylium seed husks and drink lots of water, it helps to keep the plumbing right and it will eliminate “toxins” as well.

On a side note, I just did one of those 7-day colon cleanses, (although I still eat food and shakes during the week and without getting into all the details, let’s just say it worked, very very well.

[quote]greekdawg wrote:
On a side note, I just did one of those 7-day colon cleanses, (although I still eat food and shakes during the week and without getting into all the details, let’s just say it worked, very very well.[/quote]

That is a good point there…

There are all manner of quality colon, liver, kidney, blood, etc cleanses that one can do while still eating food. Sometimes a dietary change is recommended, for instance to cure Candida, a sugar loving fungus, it helps to avoid sugar and carbs while cleansing.

No matter what kind of cleanse you are on though, you do need to include at least moderate exercise to move the toxins along and out the body, either through sweat or through excretions. Otherwise they just settle back in, and in some cases can cause immediate illnesses.

“I’m pooping everything out save Ford pickup trucks. What a product. Cheers” Kyle du Ford - Publisher, American Tri Magazine

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
“I’m pooping everything out save Ford pickup trucks. What a product. Cheers” Kyle du Ford - Publisher, American Tri Magazine

[/quote]

I looked into the colonblow and for the most part it just seemed like a knock off product that was mainly psyllium husks which I already take a few times a day anyways. If you want to do it, look for a better one.

[quote]greekdawg wrote:
Yo Momma wrote:

I looked into the colonblow and for the most part it just seemed like a knock off product that was mainly psyllium husks which I already take a few times a day anyways. If you want to do it, look for a better one.[/quote]

It was a joke, man. A joke.

More quotes from cleansed customers:

“Colonblow helped release an unwanted pet: an icky tapeworm. The worm is probably mutating in the “bowels” of the local sewer now.” CN

“Its official! Poopin’s cool. If your life is weighted down by crap, then visit Colonblow to discover a product that’s guaranteed to blow your mind as well as your butt hole. The average guy has up to eight undigested meals in the colon, and taking three doses of Colonblow will expel months, or even years, of the sludge that gets impacted in the gut. You’d be suprised at what disgusting remnants your bowel will eject after a dose of this stuff. Explosive site!”

“If you look south and see a mushroom cloud over Janesville, that’s me letting go of a Big Mac from 1962! What in the world? Unbelievable.” TNT

For what it’s worth I’ve done three Master Cleanses over the past five years … the first one for 14 days and then two others a week each.
I used the Master Cleanse as a kickstart to a healthy lifestyle/diet and lost a lot of weight – yes probably lean muscle but certainly shed some fat as well.

I reckoned I was taking about 300 calories a day – all carbs – and once the digestive system shut down had no problems with energy for long walks etc. Didn’t weight train to much other than a few light sessions as strength plummeted big time.
If you want to know more get bak to me.

PS: great detox at the time but funnily enough I’m now on the Anabolic Diet and living on meat … ironical huh!

[quote]kiwial wrote:
For what it’s worth I’ve done three Master Cleanses over the past five years … the first one for 14 days and then two others a week each.
I used the Master Cleanse as a kickstart to a healthy lifestyle/diet and lost a lot of weight – yes probably lean muscle but certainly shed some fat as well.

I reckoned I was taking about 300 calories a day – all carbs – and once the digestive system shut down had no problems with energy for long walks etc. Didn’t weight train to much other than a few light sessions as strength plummeted big time.
If you want to know more get bak to me.

PS: great detox at the time but funnily enough I’m now on the Anabolic Diet and living on meat … ironical huh! [/quote]

Thanks for the links you send me. I´l post one now and see what happens.

This is not bad article on fasting from a bodybulders point of view:
www.bodybuilding.com/.../fun/matt31.htm

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Sigh - I have a coursemate who does this very thing on a regular basis.

He makes the drink himself by the litre and consumes it for up to 2 weeks, although he phases in organic vegetables over this time.

He looks like shit.

He will not be told that there’s zero need for this kind of ‘detox’ since you can get a similar effect from cleaning up your diet.

Bushy[/quote]

We all different. That’s the beauty.

PS. Never do anything against your will!

Cheers

Sauna + lots of green tea

I fail to see how starving yourself out living off of juice, which will in turn cause you to break down and lose muscle, which will in turn decrease and wreck your metabolism all in the name of “Detoxifying” and losing weight (muscle) To each his own.

IMO, worst possible idea ever.

Like I said earlier, I did a 7 week colon cleanse, but I still ate meals throughout the week.

I want to add that people (especially women) delude themelves when it comes to losing scale weight vs. muscle vs fat. As for me I only want to keep my muscle mass, and lose fat. Scale weight doesn’t appeal to me unless it is the right kind of weight (fat).

Unless you are getting your bodyfat tested, and/or skinfold measurements you have no idea what you are “losing.” End rant.

[quote]greekdawg wrote:
I fail to see how starving yourself out living off of juice, which will in turn cause you to break down and lose muscle, which will in turn decrease and wreck your metabolism all in the name of “Detoxifying” and losing weight (muscle) To each his own.

Like I said earlier, I did a 7 week colon cleanse, but I still ate meals throughout the week.

I want to add that people (especially women) delude themelves when it comes to losing scale weight vs. muscle vs fat. As for me I only want to keep my muscle mass, and lose fat. Scale weight doesn’t appeal to me unless it is the right kind of weight (fat).

Unless you are getting your bodyfat tested, and/or skinfold measurements you have no idea what you are “losing.” End rant.[/quote]

You’re spot on! Weight doesn’t mean anything. I guess measuraments will do.

[quote]JuicyLucy wrote:
greekdawg wrote:

Unless you are getting your bodyfat tested, and/or skinfold measurements you have no idea what you are “losing.” End rant.

You’re spot on! Weight doesn’t mean anything. I guess measuraments will do.
[/quote]

On the spot? Far from.

1. Living off juice is not necessarily a fast, people can make whole meals in a blender.
  2. Why do people think muscle just falls off? It doesn’t. Athletes in sports where you ahve to weigh in do it all the time, then hydrate & carb up after the weigh in and regain most if not all of their strength.
  3. Doesn’t decrease your metabolism, by any notable amount. It does change the thermogenics of your body, hence the cold feeling.

While I’m not against fasting I do think there are plenty of addicts out there. If your body can survive 50 years without a fast there is no need to change and do it every month or 3 months or a year.

Your body naturally rids yourself of toxins, so while its good to flush out a build up, it seems a lot of people go overboard and just start flushing out nutrients and all other important minerals.