Tha Master Cleanse = Good Idea?

I’m thinking of doing the master cleanse which consists of drinking ONLY lemonade with maple syrup and cayenne pepper for 10 days.

Is it a good idea?

More info:
www.thelemonadediet.com/index.html

Thank you guys.

What a stupid “diet.”

no

I had a friend who did this. A typical day for him, though, was to get up, read, play guitar for 6 hours, maybe walk around a bit, talk to friends, read some more, go to sleep. He didn’t have muscle recovery to worry about.

If you want to lose all your muscle, end up GAINING weight, and suffer heart damage, go on a liquid starvation diet.

Watch this:
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?ei=UTF-8&b=1&vid=811408&gid=148891

It depends on your goals, your previuos diet, and daily routine.

Why do you want to do this master cleanse?

WTF? Who comes up with this stuff? They ought to be shot in a public square.

The short answer to your question is no, and I highly recommend you start reading all the nutrition articles on this site to figure out why you shouldn’t have to ask that in the first place.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
It depends on your goals, your previuos diet, and daily routine.

Why do you want to do this master cleanse?[/quote]

I’m thinking about doing it for two reasons:

For detox and for detox.
Getting rid of the toxins in my body.

Anybody knows better way?

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
If you want to lose all your muscle, end up GAINING weight, and suffer heart damage, go on a liquid starvation diet.

Watch this:
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?ei=UTF-8&b=1&vid=811408&gid=148891
[/quote]

Thanks for the video.
How old is this girl by the way, she’s behaving like she’s 3 y.old.

Can anybody explain why young people have faster metabolism than older ones?

lol they say a sauna every day helps accomplishes many of the same things. If its easy for you to do then by all means do it.

If not, I doubt it accomplishes the miracles that it claims, and you would be better off eating a healthy diet, and a vacation.

How exactly would you define a toxin? Do you know what it is your actually trying to get rid of?

Don’t forget - anything can be a toxin, given the right dose. Our bodies are designed to handle “toxins”, there’s no need to try and flush everything out.

We can all guarantee to you that:

a) you’ll feel shit (because your insulin levels will be going crazy)

b) you’ll lose a lot of muscle tissue (note: you don’t want to do this)

c) you’ll lower your metabolism, and hence most likely gain a lot of fat when you finish this diet.

Not to mention, your teeth won’t like it much.

Please, don’t do it.

[quote]JuicyLucy wrote:
Thanks for the video.
How old is this girl by the way, she’s behaving like she’s 3 y.old.

Can anybody explain why young people have faster metabolism than older ones?

[/quote]

I think they went over the top with her, in order to demonstrate how kids know jackshit about nutrition. The video was made for a health class instruction, but the documentary first half is basic, bottom line nutrition 101, and sound advice for anyone of any age.

Children who are very active or are having “growth spurts” will need more healthy calories to support the activity, just like we do, when we adjust for workout days. I don’t know if their metabolism are faster, per se. Look at the increasing number of obese children in the US. Faster metabolism? No. They are inactive, watching hours of TV or sitting in front of a computer and eating tons of crap foods. IMO this is bad parenting.

If you were my daughter, I would suggest you get a deep tissue massage followed by a few sessions in the sauna or steam room to remove “toxins”. These types of diets are quackery at best. Just look at all the Hollywood celebrities and other double digit IQ nitwits who support them. That should be enough warning in itself!

[quote]Dave_ wrote:
How exactly would you define a toxin? Do you know what it is your actually trying to get rid of?

Don’t forget - anything can be a toxin, given the right dose. Our bodies are designed to handle “toxins”, there’s no need to try and flush everything out.

We can all guarantee to you that:

a) you’ll feel shit (because your insulin levels will be going crazy)

b) you’ll lose a lot of muscle tissue (note: you don’t want to do this)

c) you’ll lower your metabolism, and hence most likely gain a lot of fat when you finish this diet.

Not to mention, your teeth won’t like it much.

Please, don’t do it.[/quote]

You’re right, Dave. I don’t want to loose any muscle and slow things down.

A toxin, in my opinion, could be something unnatural to the body. Something that the body can’t deal with and is forced to “put away” for later when its got time to eliminate it.

Your liver and kidneys do this for you every day. Drink a lot of water and don’t eat a lot of crap and you’ll be fine. Up your veggies, fiber and water and stay away from processed food.

As virtually everybody else has stated, bad idea.

If you insist on doing something like that, why not drop some bodyfat using a more sane approach like JB’s Get Shredded diet? Adipose tissue stores various toxins. Dropping a significant amount of bodyfat would definitely help get rid of those.

Besides, the added aesthetic benefits and the fact that you will most likely not suppress your metabolism to that degree are good points in favor of this approach.

My girlfriend did the diet, was grouchy all day, felt bad, got a kidney infection, and put back on the weight she lost as soon as she got off of it. After we got her on a healthy diet with lean protein, veggies, and fish oil, she’s gotten to the same weight she was at at the end of it, plus she feels and looks way better.

Okay, working on that definition of toxins, why not go on a cleanse that eliminates all of those things? If you stick to organic fruits, veggies, and lean protein, you won’t be getting any of the unnatural additives in other foods, eg preservatives and pesticides. And why not buy stuff as close to natural as possible, so you know exactly what you’re eating. All you have to do is hit up the produce aisle and the butcher shop and skip the rest of the grocery store. Maybe some oatmeal too. Wouldn’t that give your body a break from any unnatural added ingredients?

So true! Thank you all. I don’t know what I was thinking. So stupid.

Anyway thanks a lot.

No problem. To be honest it’s nice that someone actually took some advice! If you want an easy and safe way to approach this, I would suggest just drinking more water. Nothing crazy, just try and get 2 litres (half a gallon) each day.

Some food for thought.

The velocity diet could be interpreted as a detox diet. In fact, if you take the HOT-RX out it pretty much is a detox diet. The whole point of the Master Cleans is to limit the activity of your digestive track so that the body can focus on other things (aka cleaning you out). This is exactly what the velocity diet does expect it is much healthier and safer for you.

The side effects of the velocity diet that people have proclaimed including no more cravings for bad food, quit smoking, reduced desire to drink…ect, are all reflective of a detoxified body.

[quote]JPanchalk wrote:
WTF? Who comes up with this stuff? They ought to be shot in a public square.

[/quote]

I laughed my ass off when I saw the details of this “cleanse,” so I kind of like the people who came up with it. Of course, they weren’t trying to be funny and they may actually believe in the shit they’re selling and do it to themselves. Just makes it funnier in my opinion.