Silver and Steel

You’re welcome!

What you’re doing works for you, and that’s what’s important. I actually (gasp!) enjoy cardio, but that’s because a massive injury kept me from being able to use my leg for six YEARS, so you could say I’m making up for lost years of walking/running/step milling/rucking :grin:

1 Like

I noticed a trainer at the last gym I went to had clients doing something similar. I modified it for my uses, and it’s a fantastic GPP, cardio, full-body workout. It consisted of:
3 minutes step milling
20 bodyweight or goblet squats
20 pushups
10 ab wheel rollouts
20 kettlebell swings (optional)
Repeated for 20 - 30 total minutes

The trainer appeared to have a lot of female clients who were looking to slim down (whole body) and beef up (backside).

2 Likes

@ChongLordUno @TriednTrue
Thank you both for the ideas. I’m on the run, or I’d write more, but wanted to say I’ll try it: I’ve got about an hour in the hotel between flights and the gym has treadmills and dumbbells up to 50lbs, so I’m going to give the full-body + cardio a whirl.

My wife has started teaching HIIT classes on Saturday mornings, so I’m going to try to make it to hers when I land. She wants more husbands to attend, as well as a mommy and me kind of class, but doesn’t like my marketing:

• “I’m HIITing that” for spouses.
  • “HIIT Your Kids!”
3 Likes

Lol love that marketing.

1 Like

This is an awesome attitude - glad things are getting back to healthy for you too!

I liked the kind of interval cardio/ exercise run-through. I am keeping it in my repertoire for hotel gyms, so it will make another appearance next week.

This morning I did an arm (that’s right - a full workout of just arms) workout I saw in a Jeff Nippard + John Meadows YouTube video. It was as fun as arm workouts can be.

Totally off-topic, and I’m not one that thinks anything about lifting weights is new, but I swear this site just re-posted part of one of Christian Thibaudeau’s old articles under a new author’s name this morning. A little weird.

2 Likes

Nice one mate. A few of those session over a month will hopefully turn that chest you shaved back into a hairy one😂

Nah, I balance it out with 45-minute arm workouts.

In reality, I am hairy again. Not as fat as this time last year, though, so that’s good.

My daughter painted my toenails a few weeks ago. I’ve got quite a look going.

1 Like

Thank you and thank you again!

Hotel gyms are the perfect place for this style of workout, since most have some kind of cardio machine, maybe a universal machine, and possibly a few dumbbells. Let us know how to interval workout goes!

That IS weird. Which article was it?

It was called “22 Proven Rep Schemes” (I think) by Thibaudeau. Check it out.

That’s a great article, an I’ve shared it with others in the past. They actually re-posted it under someone else’s name??

(Pardon the interruption) The recent article covered some similar but different set/rep schemes. It’s not a repost. It’s two coaches having some general overlap because principles are time-tested while details can change.

In this article, Eric Bach covered a different way to use waves, a different way to do clusters, a different way to use rest-pause, a different ascending load plan, and a countdown scheme not covered in the 22 article.

2 Likes

Thanks for addressing our confusion and clarifying the issue about the set-rep articles @Chris_Colucci.

Totally fair. Thanks for the explanation. I agree - nothing is new so there will be overlap in everything written.

I quickly glanced at the article and made an assumption - not a fair basis for judgement on my part.

1 Like

No prob. Definitely a little confusing, but the info is solid regardless of who’s saying it. Clusters are definitely under-appreciated, so whatever gets more people doing them is all good.

2 Likes

I’ve done them a few times in the past, on @Christian_Thibaudeau programs, and always feel like I could take a nap on the bench afterwards. Maybe something that should make a more frequent appearance!
*The clusters; not the naps.

Another row-tastic day. I am staying focused on staying light and doing actual good reps. Weird how I feel better and I “accidentally” end up with some good lifts here and there.

Meadows Row
Worked up to a tough 8, then did a double-drop set

Smith Machine Row
Worked up to a tough 8 at 245.

This always feels good to me. I can really stay put and then kind of sweep back while I pull.

One-arm BB Row
Worked up to a tough 8, then did a double-drop set.

This doesn’t always feel good. I think I go to heavy, then I shift around, which makes my right knee feel awful (it needs a replacement, I fear). Today I stayed at weights I can handle and really focused on getting over the bar and staying locked in, and it felt good.

DB Pull-over
3 sets of 10.

Leg Raise
4 sets of something.

Standing Calf Raise
2 sets of 10 full reps + 10 partials + 10-second stretch.

5 Likes

Double drop set? Sounds brutal but I like it. How heavy do you typically go when you start your drop sets? Roughly what percentage of your 1rm? I’ll also have to look up meadows rows, never heard of them.

1 Like

FUCK YEAH!

Sounds like one of those sessions where you bounce out with a spring in the old step

1 Like

Heck yes! That’s the best attitude to have over the long haul. @Frank_C was saying in another log how he crushed personal goals and stayed injury-free when recovering from surgery forced him to lift conservatively and lift relatively lighter.

2 Likes

Ehhhhhh no idea? Especially on something like rows. I pick a rep range, for these I wanted to hit 8, and I come pretty close to failing on the first “set”. Then I drop ~20% and do it again, so maybe that’s 6-8, then another ~20% of the now lower weight and go again. On the last one I usually try to do a lot of reps and am ok with being sloppier or doing partials since it’s a light weight by this point.

1 Like