Silver and Steel

Ha - I doubt the Photoshop piece. I like reading through your log when I’m paying attention though.

Thanks! It was actually fun to do, because its easy. My daughter likes to help me so I had a box of screws and one of washers, and she’d assemble and hand to me. She gets out there and does pull-ups and runs up our hill with me too. That was the main decision behind wanting to do stuff at home - being able to do some with them. I changed jobs to travel less for the same reason, so now I just need to find my discipline again!

2 Likes

It’s on his ThibArmy site. He always let’s us choose from categories of exercises so I pick things that I can do in all of my training places. That usually means that I just need a barbell. I just set up a new round of it. I’ll summarize it for you.

Preparation Phase (Weeks 1-3)
Friday Week 1 Week 2 Week 3
Exercise Reps Weight Reps Weight Reps Weight
RFESS 3 x 8 125 3 x 8 130 3 x 8 135
Trap Bar Deadlift (High Handles) 3 x 8 315 3 x 8 325 3 x 8 335
Box Squat 3 x 8 245 3 x 8 255 3 x 8 265
RDL 3 x 8 185 3 x 8 195 3 x 8 205
Farmer’s Walk 60 m 60 m 60 m
Saturday Week 1 Week 2 Week 3
Exercise Reps Weight Reps Weight Reps Weight
Overhead Press 3 x 8 105 3 x 8 110 3 x 8 115
Lat Pull Down 3 x 8 3 x 8 3 x 8
Pendlay Row 3 x 8 195 3 x 8 200 3 x 8 205
Push Ups 3 x 20 3 x 20 3 x 20
Hang SGHP 3 x 8 165 3 x 8 170 3 x 8 175

I train Friday, Saturday, Monday, Wednesday. I’ll move a day here and there to accommodate life.

Mon & Wed are repeats of what I posted but I do five sets. Weeks 4-6 are 3 x 5 and 5 x 5. Weeks 7-9 are 3 x 3 and 5 x 3. Weeks 10-12 every workout is 5/4/3/2/1.

I add 10 lbs on lower body lifts each week and 20 lbs when I change phases. I add 5 and 10 lbs on upper body and the rear foot elevated split squats.

You’re not supposed to grind. CT says to start week 1 with 72-77% of your 1RM. I might even start with 70%.

Lastly, I added SGHP. That slot is actually supposed to be whatever accessory lift you want - even curls! I just wanted to add some trap work. The reps there are supposed to be higher (12, 10, 8, & 8 on each phase).

My shoulder has also been killing me so I swapped high rep push ups for bench.

Hopefully that was “simple” :laughing:

Wow - thank you! I really appreciate you writing that out.

I’m going to actually get some work done, so I’ll check it out more detailed later this afternoon.

I’ll jump something and just get some barbell work going over the next few weeks plus my “whatever”. Whatever I end up doing will go on here tonight and we can all learn from my many mistakes.

Thanks again!

1 Like

As an update on all this, I ended up starting a 5/3/1 squat day Monday. My ADHD got the better of me, and I just started working up until I got to 365 (which is right around my TM). I then got bored with that and did lunges up and down a hill with my daughter (who is tough!). Then, yesterday, I went into a gym and did about 30 sets of different types of rows. Sooooo… I did the cool thing where I get great advice from people stronger than me, @Frank_C @littlesleeper (sorry gents), and I ignored it, but I think that’s where I’m at right now. I’ll be holding to the “do whatever” training plan. I think @ChongLordUno and I can just use a random number generator on a spreadsheet to spit an arbitrary series of exercises out to people and coin it as the There Is No Spoon Training Program; It will make you so awesome you’ll see through the matrix.

3 Likes

There’s a lot to be said for just consistently getting work done. Random, consistent work will beat 5/3/1 if you’re skipping workouts or giving half-assed effort.

2 Likes

I tend to focus on a few of my numbers and in order to improve them I have to follow a plan.

Randomness can be great for overall health, looks, and feel. It just doesn’t help me with my exact goals. I think random/do whatever you feel workouts fall more in line with my old bodybuilding workouts.

1 Like

That’s the spirit mate. The ‘Do Whatever Plan’ is a no brainer.

Stress free training for the busy dad (or dad to be)

Exactly this (or so I hope).

I think we are on the same page here. I don’t have any concrete goals right now. It’s mostly mental - I’m more grumpy if I don’t go do something every day.

Yep!

On another note, and this is silly, “mate” always makes me chuckle a little. Many years ago, I was doing something with the British Army, and I remember dudes yelling at each other, but then tacking “mate” on like it softened the blow: “Get your fat fucking ass up that hill, mate!”
We kind of used “sir” the same way over here (or I did): “That’s the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard, Sir.”

3 Likes

It’s one of those words that can conveys most emotions

For example…

You say to me ‘mate, I’m not really up for lifting weights anymore, I think I’m going to take up prancercise(google it)

And I’m like

“Maaaaaaate”

Bro, then I’d just be mincing about

Did I use that right?

1 Like

Getting there mate, getting there🧐

1 Like

I’ll keep swinging

Logging a workout!
Everything is hurting lately, so I’m going to force myself to stay 55-75% on stuff for awhile.
Just putting in some work and trying to control my fat-boy foods. I’ve noticed I can’t leave fat out of a meal completely, or I zonk, so I’m having to be somewhat balanced. Weird.
@ChongLordUno where are we on baby watch??

11 SEP 18: Legs
Bunch of movement for a warm-up

Deadlift
135/5
225/4
275/1
295/4 x 4

Front Squat
135/5
155/6 x 3

Band Pull-through
3 sets of 20
Landmine Squat
25/12 x 3
TRX Pistol
3 sets of 10
TRX Leg Curl
3 sets of 12
s/s w/
One-Leg Calf Raise
3 sets of 15

2 Likes

Welcome back!

1 Like

Alrighty bud

Missus is 21 weeks in. Hormones are going through the roof.

Just moved into a new house as well so my stress levels are on a par with said hormones. Been decorating and in the process of building the nursery.

Working like a fucking dog as well. No let up.

2 Likes

Thanks man!

That is an amazing picture! They never come out that good - nice!

Good luck on the move and work. When it rains it pours, eh? I hope it slows down for you. Crazy times.

Super glad she is going well and healthy and all that though. You’re getting into the home stretch and you’re already out of the scary zone!

1 Like

13 SEP 18 - Push
5 minute cardio warm-up

Close-grip Bench Press
45/10
95/6
135/6
185/6 x 3

Overhead Press
95/5
135/5 x 3

DB Incline
75/12, 10, 6

Pec Flye Machine
3 sets of 12
Cable Lateral Raise
3 sets of 8
Cable Tricep Kickback
3 sets of 20
Crunch Machine
3 sets of 12

2 Likes

You ever read the works of Borge Fagerli?

You should look him up. He promotes Myo-Rep training and a sustainable training style.

I’ve been doing one of his programs for the last 6 weeks. 4 day Push Pull split. In and out the gym in 35-45 minutes. It’s right up your alley mate

1 Like

That sounds perfect! I’ll check it out. Thanks!

In other news, through strange turns of events, I ended up landing and getting - we’ll say “imperfect” - directions. So, instead of lifting I got to walk about 8 miles through town with my bag. I’ll call it a little ruck. I didn’t know the town, so some blocks had me at more of a jog…

2 Likes