Texas Power Bar

Sounds to me like you want a barbell just for the sake of having a barbell and for the most part, it is extremely unnecessary. I’m gonna quote Louie Simmons cause I’m pretty sure (statistically speaking at least) it applies to your situation.

“Don’t have $100 shoes and a 10-cent squat.”

And no, you’re not “taking advantage of the gym”, you’re trying to justify your decison.

2 Likes

No I can use the gyms barbells but there is a group of powerlifters who have special barbells that I can’t use

Let me ask a question that should have been asked long ago. How much you weigh and what do you squat bench and deadlift. That will tell you if you should probably get a quality Bar

3 Likes

430 squat 245 bench and 445 deadlift @235 and 17

I’m wondering if the squat is to depth because its so close to your pull but I’d say you could probably start looking for a nice bar. Maybe hit 500 on squat or dead or 300 on bench before puling the trigger. Though like was mentioned keep an eye out on black friday

1 Like

So you can use regular barbells which is pretty much all you need if you want to train for powerlifting, yet you want to buy another regular barbell because you can’t use special barbells. Wat.

2 Likes

Texas power bars are for lifts over i would say over 585 or so as on a flimsy bar the bar sways and bends to much, especially a lot of weight i believe some have longer sleaves to put more plates on bar, the first 1000lbs squat had be redone as plates slid off barbell . For under 300 bucks get a quality belt and wraps and maybe a pulling sled. I know people who prefer weaker bars on dead lift as if they are pulling say 675 the first plate is 3 inches off ground before the last plate is off ground. I only go up to around 600 on sqaut and like the way the bar springs when i come up. At end of the day its your money , i know amazon prime has free shipping on 80% of shit.

Well it is in wraps so that’s why it’s close to my pull

They are like regular gym barbells not powerlifting bars I guess it’s hard to explain

Why not try to make friends with them? See if you can train with them, learn from them, etc…

2 Likes

The only difference between regular barbells and powerlifting bars is that powerlifting bars can handle more weight. There are also special bars like deadlift bars and thick squat bars but those are absolutely not necessary for training.

Also like usmccds423 mentioned, it would be a really damn good idea to try to get into the powerlifting group and make friends with them. I did just that when I started and I had a former deadlfit world record holder teaching me to squat and deadlift without any extra cost just because I started taking part in their training sessions.

1 Like

and what’s so bad about “regular gym barbells”, especially more so for the purposes of powerlifting. I understand if it’s for weightlifting cause the spin of the bar does make quite a difference in my opinion. It honestly sounds to be that you’re just being a bit of an fitness elitist and you think a regular barbell simply isn’t good enough for you.

The first bar I bought was a TBD. I bought it second hand from another lifter. I’ve been using it for over 7 years in my home gym. It’s spoiled me for bars in commercial gyms. If you have the money and have your own gym, I’d recommend it. You can certainly live without a nice bar but not if you don’t have to. This is after 7 years of use. It wouldn’t have been money well spent if I only stuck it out a few months or a year. As a long term investment it’s great but I’m not sure I would do it at 17.

I may be reaching, but it sounds like what he means is they have standard equipment and bars as well as personal bars that you can only use if the owner thinks you aren’t a dumbass who will bail a pushpress or something and bend it. I’ve known quite a few gyms that do that, over so much time of not being an idiot in the gym, they are more inclined to let you use the more expensive specialized equipment. That being said, sounds like the kid needs to just deal with what bars he has

OP, what are your numbers anyways? I ask because TPB’s are meant to be much stiffer and stronger at heavier weight, realistically speaking, if you pull and squat in the high 200’s to mid 300’s then a TPB is overkill for you for awhile.

1 Like

He posted them, I asked

Ahh missed that somehow, thanks.

But OP looking at your numbers, stick with what you can use. if those are your maxes then working weight for you wont exactly damage decent bars and by the time your squatting and pulling 500, im betting they wont have an issue with you using the good bars. The fact is, unless you find one from some gym closing down, you really wont find something like a TPB or TDB on the cheap, they are some of the top quality power bars and the pricetag reflects it, they arent the type of thing you go to a garage sale and find for 100 bucks.

If you insist on buying one, look on rogue. The rogue ohio bar, while very different than what im used to, is a solid bar itself for a good bit cheaper. The other rogue bars are good too, them plastering themselves all over crossfit aside, rogue makes very good products pretty much across the board so you cant go wrong with them.

Elitefts has it on sale for $50 off.

some people say they rather have the Ohio bar instead. Also some people say that the new texas power bars suck and they bend. Should i order it? there is $50 off so i need to know ASAP. Also is it true that the texas power bar has that side to side give on the bar. For example if you walk out your squats and hear the collars knocking on the barbell, thats what im taking about.

No. You don’t need it.

5 Likes

Power bars just allow you to lift a little more weight 5-10% or something. It’s a bit easier off the floor. They don’t make you any stronger.
That said, I used a nice copy (or so I presume) of a Texas Power Bar today. The knurling was harsh , nice enough not to ruin you hands . It cost the guy £270 - the bars are much more expensive in the UK. It had a black oxide finish ,which comes off on your hands.