Texas Power Bar Refurbish

It seems like there wasn’t much info online about cleaning, disassembling, and/or refurbishing the Texas Power Bar. Surprisingly. Here is a video of how to dissemble the bar, and what I did to make it like new. Thought yall may like it and maybe get some ideas for your own bar!

Restore Project:

Step 1:

I took a wire wheel on an angle grinder and took down the whole bar, including the collars, to bare steel.

Step 2 (In the video above):

I removed the 3/16’’ roll pins with a 3/16’’ roll pin punch (4 total pins). The pins are ~1.61’’ long. If you wanted to replace them I believe a 1-5/8’’ roll pin could get the job done.

Step 3 (In the video above):

I took the wire wheel to the remaining sections of the bar that were covered by the collars.

Step 4 (In the video above):

I then sprayed out the collars with B12 carb cleaner. Let dry. Then sprayed them out with “Deep Creep” (WD-40 could have been used in this step). I then passed paper towel “patches” though the collars to try and pick up any loose trash. I payed special attention to the brass bushings on both ends.

Step 5 (In the video above):

I resembled the bar making sure to have a good coat of lubricant on the bar under the collars and on the brash bushings.

1 Like

Maybe you can help me out, I have an issue with my bar. Its a CAP barbell power bar, the problem is that the collar on one side keeps coming loose. I used to tighten it every 2-3 weeks for a while but it got to the point that after every deadlift session I have to tighten it. I have tightened the other side a couple times, but it is the one that is a real problem. I went ahead and bought a deadlift bar since I’m going to compete in feds that use one but also because I didn’t want this bar to fall apart, but now even after a couple weeks of squatting and benching it gets loose again from slamming it into the rack.

I can upload a picture if you want, but when I look inside the end the only thing that I can turn is a large hex nut. In the middle of the nut there is a large bolt but it has a circular hole in the middle. What I have been doing is just tightening the nut with vise grips but if I tighten it all the way then the collar won’t turn any more. I used to train at a gym where all the bars had collars that didn’t spin and it definitely doesn’t feel the same, especially squatting, so tightening it all the way isn’t an option. Eventually I will probably have to buy a new power bar, but I’m still trying to make this one work so any advice is appreciated.

Hey Chris, I’m not familiar with CAP barbells. The bar in the video is a Troy Texas Power Bar, which was originally designed by Buddy Capps.

Sorry for the confusion and sorry I can’t help.

Sounds like it may make sense for you to take some time and disassemble your collars. Then clean them and see what you’re dealing with. If threads are involved, you may be able to get away with utilizing some locktite.

Yeah, locktite sounds like it might be the solution, I didn’t even think of that. Basically the nut is turning slightly on each impact, and gradually turning more and more. There’s nothing to tighten it against without making the collars not turn, so that sounds like the best choice. I don’t really want to take the bar apart because who knows, I might not be able to put it back together and then I can’t really lift.

As you say, you’re probably going to need to buy a new bar anyway. This just brings it forward if you can’t get it back together.

1 Like