T Nation

Texas Method ?

I'm currently running Beyond531 template and I'm loving it! I was skimming through T Nation and came across the Texas method. What are the thoughts on running this method, seems simple. I don't know about the lack of explosive movements, foam rolling, and assistance. Although it might get you stronger being that it is simple and progressive weekly.

The Texas method is a training system rather than a specific program nowadays. That article is the jist of it though but you can tailer the template to include explosive lifts if you want.

I would say Beyond 5/3/1 is superior. Stick with it -especially as its working well for you.

If want to change it up a little try the 5/3/1 beach body challenge -smilar but with a few tweaks

I don’t really find foam rolling necessary for a successful program.

And dude, the majority of your post history is about trying out a new program.

Just stick with 5/3/1. You can try some other template/variation after 1-2 cycles. Follow the principles if you can’t keep up with program.

If you are doing 531 variation and loving it, why would you want to switch so fast? Program hopping is not your friend, I know its tempting to always want to try out some new cool thing but that won’t lead to very consistent progress.

Honestly, I favor ramping sets and autoregulation like on the Texas Method (heavy days) over stricter templates. I wouldn’t really consider a program like 5/3/1 myself. However, if you are enjoying Beyond 5/3/1 and making progress, why change? It’s up to you, but make sure you don’t limit yourself by forgetting the importance of simple, consistent work.

[quote]halcj wrote:
Honestly, I favor ramping sets and autoregulation like on the Texas Method (heavy days) over stricter templates. I wouldn’t really consider a program like 5/3/1 myself. However, if you are enjoying Beyond 5/3/1 and making progress, why change? It’s up to you, but make sure you don’t limit yourself by forgetting the importance of simple, consistent work.[/quote]

Umm. I think 5/3/1, specially beyond 5/3/1 (which is basically ramping to daily max/to good set) beats Texas Method in autoregulation.

But you’re right about the importance of the work and effort, no matter what program/method is used.

[quote]Rattus wrote:

[quote]halcj wrote:
Honestly, I favor ramping sets and autoregulation like on the Texas Method (heavy days) over stricter templates. I wouldn’t really consider a program like 5/3/1 myself. However, if you are enjoying Beyond 5/3/1 and making progress, why change? It’s up to you, but make sure you don’t limit yourself by forgetting the importance of simple, consistent work.[/quote]

Umm. I think 5/3/1, specially beyond 5/3/1 (which is basically ramping to daily max/to good set) beats Texas Method in autoregulation.

But you’re right about the importance of the work and effort, no matter what program/method is used. [/quote]

Yeah, I’ve just looked over Beyond 5/3/1 - I’d forgotten it was so different from the original. If the choice is between these two programs, I really don’t think it matters much. Stick with it for the recommended time period and then move on after that - probably to something less “rep PR-oriented” than the Texas Method or 5/3/1.