Texas Method

Monday

Squats 5 x 5
Bench press or overhead press 5 x 5
Deadlifts 1 x 5

Wednesday

Squats 2 x 5 @ 80% of Monday’s weight
Overhead press (if I bench pressed Monday), 3 x 5 at slightly lighter load than previous 5 x 5 OHP weight, or bench press (if I on Monday), 3 x 5 @ 90% previous 5 x 5 weight
Chin ups 3 x to failure
Back extensions or glute-ham raise 5 x 10

Friday

Squats, warm up then hit a 1,2,3,5 rep PR
Bench or Overhead press, warm up then hit a 1,2,3,5 rep PR
Power clean 5x3 reps

GPP or Prowler work 2 or 3 times a week

Anyone’s thoughts on this program? Rippetoe really knows what he’s talking about but I just wanted to see what some of you had to say about his Texas Method. Thanks

IIRC there is no conditioning work built into it. If you do prowler work with even mediocre intensity, I suspect you’ll have difficulty hitting reps. If you have comparatively high bodyfat (15-20+%) 30-45 minute fast-paced walks in the AM, on an empty stomach will be plenty of conditioning if doing TTM properly.

I would also recommend sticking to going for 5RM’s instead of playing with maxes between 1 and 4 reps. Maybe once you’re more advanced, but most people thinking about TTM that haven’t started it are not that advanced.

The only variation I would make–one that MR described in his article 4 months ago–is doing DE deadlifts on Friday instead of olympic lifts. If they work for you, fine, but if you want to compete in powerlifting, I think you’ll get more out of DE deadlifts vs. PC’s.

Also you may already realize this, but the program is written as Bench/Press/Bench, M/W/F one week and Press/Bench/Press, M/W/F the next week.

You should do it–it’s a good program, but anything I could tell you is less valuable that what Rip has already said/written about it :slight_smile:

Power cleans are in there for me because I’m using this program to get stronger for football so a DE day for deadlifts probably wouldn’t help me as much as some power cleans. The GPP and prowler work was also to get better conditioned for football. If doing that kind of stuff would not be good with the program is there anything I could do to bump up my conditioning while doing the Texas Method? Thanks again for the help.

Looks good to me. Conditioning twice a week shouldn’t be a problem. Just remember to start light on your lifts, the poundage adds up really fast with this program.

Also, If you got any questions about the program, I would suggest you check out Glenn Pendlays forum (hes the originator of the program and a very helpful and smart guy).