T Nation

Texas Method Tweaks

5'11, 210 pounds, 19 y/o, 355/210/405 I read Justin Lascek's ebook, and now I am starting TM. That book is like the TM bible. It is very helpful. Here is my version of TM with an added assistance day. Please tell me if it is appropriate.

Monday (Volume): Bench/Press and Squat 5x5, some abs work (pallof, leg raise, or rollouts)
Tuesday (Assistance): High Pull at most 15 reps, currently working my way up. Rows, Dips, and Farmer Walk
Wednesday (Light): Bench/Press 90% of Monday 3x5, Pause Squat 80 % of Monday 2x5, curls
Friday (Intensity): Squat, bench/Press, deadlift 1x5. Abs, Grip

I also do chin ups between every set of bench/press, 2 or 3 reps short of failure, some times I also do pull aparts.

the deadlift volume is low on TM. You could add in a deadlift variation on either your assistance day or recovery day. Like 3x5 sldl or 3x5 deficit deadlift, this helped me a lot.

This is exactly what I was going to say. I really like to DL, but the texas method’s deadlift volume is way too low.
I wouldn’t just add more deadlift volume without thinking about it. What’s your max squat and max deadlift? If you are naturally a good deadlifter and are bad at squatting you can definitely get away with 1 set of deadlift per week and still make gains. The program is very good as it is, and doesn’t really need any modifications unless you are a terrible deadlifter and really want to strengthen it. Otherwise, I’d leave the program as it is.

However, if you really want to improve your deadlift, there are a few simple modifications that have worked for me. First, you can do what the person said above and add in a deadlift variation to your assistance day. Second, you could slightly reduce to squat volume on volume day to 3x5, and add in a set or two of deadlifts.

[quote]learnliftlive wrote:
This is exactly what I was going to say. I really like to DL, but the texas method’s deadlift volume is way too low.
I wouldn’t just add more deadlift volume without thinking about it. What’s your max squat and max deadlift? If you are naturally a good deadlifter and are bad at squatting you can definitely get away with 1 set of deadlift per week and still make gains. The program is very good as it is, and doesn’t really need any modifications unless you are a terrible deadlifter and really want to strengthen it. Otherwise, I’d leave the program as it is.

However, if you really want to improve your deadlift, there are a few simple modifications that have worked for me. First, you can do what the person said above and add in a deadlift variation to your assistance day. Second, you could slightly reduce to squat volume on volume day to 3x5, and add in a set or two of deadlifts.

[/quote]

im a weak deadlifter and strong squatter.

Personally speaking, while the tm worked well overall the light/recovery day always seemed like a waste to me; come intensity day everything felt heavier than it should and was much slower too. What fixed this for me was switching to 1 or 2 1,2,3 ladders with my volume weight - heavy enough to get a training effect (of sorts), short enough sets to keep fatigue down and recover while really letting me focus on technique and bar speed. What with mondays grind fest and fridays continual pr hunting, this was the missing piece of the puzzle for me.

Just finished my 3rd week of the program; here’s the tweaks I’ve made.

Volume Day

• 3x5 squats with a 50 (atm) pound discrepancy between VD and ID. So far I’ve only added weight every other week but will probably prolong the amount of weeks when things get super heavy.
  • 5x5 bench with a 30 (atm) pound discrepancy between VD and ID. I’ve been increasing weekly to get to a weight that was challenging on VD because, in general, I felt that the same weight discrepancy as squats wasn’t beneficial for the bench.
  • CONSIDERING adding in some type of pull whether it be a deadlift variation or an oly lift because 1x5 hasn’t done shit for my deadlift.

Recovery Day

• 2x5 squats at ~75% of VD
  • Press - 6 sets of doubles increasing 5 pounds each week so far. Will probably have to microload soon.
  • Curls for the girls
  • Prehab (shoulders + hips)

Intensity Day
Squat 1x5
Bench 1x5 + 1xAMRAP@80% of top set
Deadlift 1x3 (atm) - Will probably end up switching to 5 singles if I end up adding a pull to volume day.

-chins usually in between all pressing sets

• I also don’t alternate the Bench and Press.

Generally, it seems to be recommended to make additions to the Texas Method slowly; just like any other program. I read both of Justin’s books and feel that they provide a wealth of information, so, you’ve done right by yourself there.