Texas Method Sorta 5x5 Log

Week 5, Wednesday.

Squat:
135x5
185x3
225x1
245x2 (I meant to do 1, but forgot. w/e.)
270x3x3

Miltary Press:
45x7
95x5
125x4x3

Rows:
95x5
135x3
160x4x3

Deadlift:
135x3
225x3
275x3
325x5

Cuban Presses:
60x3x6

I felt great today. After I did my squats, I felt awesome. I felt nice and strong doing everything.

I was nervous right before the last set of deads - heart pounding, etc. I nailed it, though; i did however lose my balance on my third rep and had to kick my right foot back to prevent me from falling on my ass. I guess I was overzealous on the lockout. I have to watch that, or I’ll hurt myself. There were no problems with my grip.

Those god damn cuban presses are so humbling. I love 'em. :slight_smile:

I can’t wait for friday.

Are the Cuban presses to bring up your military?

You talk about my deadlift? You’re doing the same weight at a lower body weight. Now who’s better? :stuck_out_tongue: I had to some grip work as well. Although today went well. A student of mine is letting me borrow his Captains of Crush #1. Humbling. Very humbling. I can close it 5 times in a row, but that’s it. Left hand about 3. My left hand is the red-headed step child.

This looks damn great. Something I want to try when I am done with the bill starr intermediate 5x5.

You mentioned muscle increases. What about bodyfat? Has it stayed the same? Gone up? Gone down?

Thanks for any replies and good training.

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
Are the Cuban presses to bring up your military?
[/quote]

Yeah, and my bench. But, it’s mostly for general shoulder health. :slight_smile: My shoulders actually feel great - I’ve had them feel a bit beat up doing a 5x5 previously.

You talk about my deadlift? You’re doing the same weight at a lower body weight. Now who’s better? :stuck_out_tongue: I had to some grip work as well. Although today went well. A student of mine is letting me borrow his Captains of Crush #1. Humbling. Very humbling. I can close it 5 times in a row, but that’s it. Left hand about 3. My left hand is the red-headed step child.[/quote]

Bah, your deadlift increased rapidly. Stop being humble. We’ll see whose grip gives out first, though. :slight_smile:

I think I need to start some shoulder work as well. I have a sensation, not painful yet, somewhere inside my left shoulder. It can pop every morning if I do a lat spread. Nothing serious … yet.

My grip will give out first. You win. It only went up so much because I was being cautious at first. Sort of. Ok I did have pretty good progress with it. Whatever ;p

[quote]Mys7icaL 0n3 wrote:
This looks damn great. Something I want to try when I am done with the bill starr intermediate 5x5.
You mentioned muscle increases. What about bodyfat? Has it stayed the same? Gone up? Gone down?
Thanks for any replies and good training.[/quote]

It probably wouldn’t hurt to try out the program. It isn’t my idea entirely. I just based it off a template I got from stronglifts.com. I’m not sure where it originated though.

There’s probably much better programs based off the “texas method” idea.

I did gain some bodyfat. Some of it went to my lower stomach and my arms (I can grab more). These were, of course, the last place I started losing it. I lost vascularity in my forearms, but I do however have greater vascularity in my biceps and shoulders. Everything is bigger, except perhaps my legs. My lats have, IMHO, exploded; the weighted chins are working great for me.

My nephews around this weekend, so maybe he’ll take some pictures for me.

Gotta see them abz man! {I live vicariously through others}

Week 5, Friday.

Squat:
135x5
185x3
215x3
255x3
295x3
270x6

Bench:
135x3
160x3
185x3
225x2 ARRRRRRRGH! WTF!
200x6 I got this, but not 225x3??!?!?

Chins:
bw x 3
bw + 15x3
bw + 25x3
bw + 50x3
bw + 30x6

I weighed myself. 169 lbs. I used a different scale than I was previously, as I changed gyms. So, it’s possible I kept my weight the same or lost 5 lbs. I do not keep a food log, but I very meticulously count my calories at 400 for 5 meals on non-training days, and 550-500 for 5 meals + 360 calories of Surge on training days.

I’ve been very stressed lately, too. I wonder if that has something to do with it.

I think I may drink an additional two protein shakes on wednesday and thursday, and add in some dips on friday.

I swear to god I look bigger, though. Hm. Whatever. Pictures will tell the truth.

Same pose, two months ago. I’m nine lbs heavier here.

Holy dissapearing/reappearing posts, batman!

Sheesh. Here’s a recent back picture.

It appears my lats have grown, but that’s about it. I certainly look leaner.

Anyway, I’m upping calories 500 on every day. I’ll add in a couple sets of dips on friday.

We’ll see what happens.

Monday, Week 6.

Squat:
135x5
185x3
225x2
245x2
270x5x5

Military Press:
45x5
95x3
125x5x5

Row:
95x5
160x5x2
160x4 (lost focus, bar had no accel.)
160x5x2

Barbell Holds:
315x8 seconds double overhand grip
365x10 seconds mixed grip

Squatting was hard. Pressing was hard. Rowing was hard. The grip shit felt a lot easier than last week, and it shows.

The last reps of the last two sets of presses were real grinders. Same with the squats.

I ate 3k calories a day on the weekend. I had ~3k already today, with one more meal to go. I feel so full. :-/ My last meal was 6 eggs, one slice of cheese, and a cup of oatmeal.

I want my fucking strength back. I feel like a weak little bastard.

your strength never went away. you’ll do better next time. i know it.

Week 6, Wednesday.

I decided to follow the advice given on stronglifts.com in regards to the light day with the texas method. All lifts are using 10% less weight and only 3 sets with the exception of the deadlift.

Squat:
135x5
185x3
225x2
245x3x3

Bench:
135x5
155x3
180x3x3

Chins:
bwx2
bw + 25x3x3

Deadlift:
135x3
225x3
275x3
330x4

Cuban Presses:
60x2x8
60x7

My grip gave out on the last rep of the deadlift. That sucks. I don’t want to use straps. I’m going to increase weight next week anyway. :wink: I’ll do barbell holds with 335 this friday.

Week 6, Friday.

Weight: 172 (Eat more, gain weight. Yay.)

Squat:
135x5
185x3
225x3
260x3
300x3
275x6

Military Press:
95x3
105x3
125x3
150x3
130x6

Row:
115x3
135x3
160x3
185x3
165x6

Dips:
bw + 35x2x8

Barbell Holds (mixed grip):
335x16 seconds
335x18 seconds

Good workout. I hit a rough sticking point with my third rep of my military press; I really had to grind that out.

The squats were hard, but I really had some nice depth. I gotta take some video, though, as I’ve never seen myself squat. I did feel like I “good morninged” them a bit, though. :-/

The rows felt a bit iffy on my form with 185 …

The dips were easy.

Week 7, Monday.

Squat:
135x5
185x3
225x2
245x2
275x5x5

Bench:
135x5
185x2
200x5x5

Chins:
bwx2
bw + 30x5x5

Barbell Holds:
340x20s
340x7s

Tough workout. Rest times were gettin’ long, and I had to sit down after my last set of squats as I felt very light headed. My form sucked on the last set of my squats; I’m doing goodmornings getting out of the hole.

I didn’t think I was going to get all the reps on my bench, so much that I was contemplating doing the last two sets with 195 just so I got all the reps in. I just rested a bit longer (4 minutes) and got the reps, barely.

The chins felt quite challenging today, too. I felt it working my grip quite a bit.

It was difficult holding onto that barbell because my grip was weakened from the chins.

Week 7, Wednesday.

Deadlift:
135x3
225x3
275x3
335x5

Miltary Press:
95x3
115x3x3

Row:
115x3
145x3x3

Squat:
185x3
225x2
250x3x3

Cuban Presses:
65x3x6

No grip problems on the deadlift! I feel like I’ll definitly get next week. I moved it to the beginning of the workout, too.

I hate squatting in my chucks. A lot. I feel more “pressure” in my hips and knees.

My g/f really busted her ass today in the gym - it was very motivating. She’s getting strong. :slight_smile:

I can’t wait for friday.

So the barbell holds helped or changing dl’s to first? I got only 2x345 yesterday because of grip. Barely two. First was good though. I must not be focusing enough on holding the weight as opposed to doing the lift. I did rep out 10x275 with no grip problems. Wait, is this your log or mine?

I have always squatted … done everything in my Asics. Not a problem. Must be a good angle.

are you using any supplements? protein shakes, Surge?

So the barbell holds helped or changing dl’s to first? I got only 2x345 yesterday because of grip. Barely two. First was good though. I must not be focusing enough on holding the weight as opposed to doing the lift. I did rep out 10x275 with no grip problems. Wait, is this your log or mine?
[/quote]

I’m not sure what exactly helped. It was probably both. It could be that I was simply better recovered from eating more. :wink:

I have always squatted … done everything in my Asics. Not a problem. Must be a good angle.[/quote]

I like to deadlift in my chucks, but I hate squatting in them. I have a pair of Asic running shoes that has a real flat hard sole and arch support, but the sole isn’t wide enough and I feel unstable squatting in them.

I’m wearing a pair of Adidas cross trainers to squat right now. I feel most comfortable in them. :slight_smile: