Texas Method Question

When one gets advanced enough, week-to-week progress comes to a halt. Usually a trainee is advised to go to month to month like advanced 5x5 Madcow2. Personally, I think that’s too large of a jump. What if you can still progress every 9 days? Or 14 days? I’d like to reap those benefits before having to move to monthly progress. Anyway, which of the options do you think happens in a week-to-week progression such as the Texas Method:

1.) Does the volume period become too stressful to recover from in a 7 day period?

2.) Or do you think the volume period is not enough of a stimulus anymore to disrupt homeostasis?

The solution to 1.) being either reduction of volume or increase in recovery period.

The solution to 2.) being a longer volume period which may or may not also require a longer recovery period.

It means the trainee is getting better at certain things that lead to rapid progress in a beginner such as technical improvements, ability to fire a larger percentage of muscle fibers, improved neural efficiency and coordination etc.

In order to continuously improve, there has to be a constant caloric excess to build muscle as well.

TM is weekly linear periodization. It could, in theory, work indefinitely, if you were able to micro-load down to ounces or grams, but alas, that’s not the reality.

At some point, weekly linear periodization has to end. If you think you can devise your own biweekly or triweekly LP program that is superior to the TM monthly, or 5/3/1 or any other monthly LP, then go for it.

I will say, that based on your proposed solutions, you probably do not know enough about programming to get the job done.

You would probably be very interested in Justin Lascek’s books, “The Texas method part 1” and the one that would answer your question is the “Texas method advanced”. He makes several tweaks that turns it into a bi-weekly program with alternating speed and intensity days before turning it into something resembling an upper lower split. It is basically a book chronicling how he and the guys he trained with tweaked the program as they moved along the spectrum of experience all the way up to some very strong totals.

In my opinion, programming as most people understand it is way overrated. People discuss “programs” ad nauseam on the web, while should actually talk/think/focus on (A) technique, (B) managing training day-to-day, and (C) training principles.