Texas Method Help

Hey guys not exactly a beginner, Id say intermediate.

I originally just went for size, did a bodybuilding program from BB dot whatever and Gained lots of strength and size in a crazy amount of time.

Over one college semester I went from around 140LBS to 190LBS.

Biceps went from around 13 inches flexed, to 16.5 inches flexed, chest got huge bench shot up from 1 rep at 185 to reps of 225. and of course my squats and etc.

The thing is I stalled, I seemed to have stopped gaining strength and im pretty much just maintaining size at this point.

I was getting gains on every lift every week back then and I miss the progress.

So I found the Texas Method and im gunna give it a go.

The issue I have is, im worried that my beloved biceps/triceps will not get adequate work. Ive read you can change the methodology to fit whatever you are after but I have no clue how to re arrange the schedule.

I am doing the conventional Intensity/light/heavy days right now.

I am also new to the forums to thanks for any input.

You can add assistance work to any day. Keep it light on the light day. You won’t feel like it on the volume day.

Don’t add it out of fear, add it because it helps you progress. Texas Method doesn’t really need additional work.

[quote]Elivate55 wrote:
Hey guys not exactly a beginner, Id say intermediate.

I originally just went for size, did a bodybuilding program from BB dot whatever and Gained lots of strength and size in a crazy amount of time.

Over one college semester I went from around 140LBS to 190LBS.

Biceps went from around 13 inches flexed, to 16.5 inches flexed, chest got huge bench shot up from 1 rep at 185 to reps of 225. and of course my squats and etc.

The thing is I stalled, I seemed to have stopped gaining strength and im pretty much just maintaining size at this point.

I was getting gains on every lift every week back then and I miss the progress.

So I found the Texas Method and im gunna give it a go.

The issue I have is, im worried that my beloved biceps/triceps will not get adequate work. Ive read you can change the methodology to fit whatever you are after but I have no clue how to re arrange the schedule.

I am doing the conventional Intensity/light/heavy days right now.

I am also new to the forums to thanks for any input.[/quote]

If you are not committed 100% to the program, don’t do it.

Lots of programs out there with curls and such.

Look at Waterbury, Thibs, Kingbeef’s thread. etc, etc, etc.

I am 100% committed to getting stronger now, my idea is to increase my strength and then if I want to go for aesthetics down the line ill switch back to a more hypertrophy geared plan. More strength = Higher weights = better hypertrophy down the line.

My only “worry” is that I might lose size in my arms while doing texas method, I know it sounds very curl bro of me, but I am proud of the work I have put into my arms. Id be upset losing any substantial amount of it.

That being said, I don’t think a few reps of preacher curl thrown in on Wednesday should hurt my progress.

[quote]Elivate55 wrote:
I am 100% committed to getting stronger now, my idea is to increase my strength and then if I want to go for aesthetics down the line ill switch back to a more hypertrophy geared plan. More strength = Higher weights = better hypertrophy down the line.

My only “worry” is that I might lose size in my arms while doing texas method, I know it sounds very curl bro of me, but I am proud of the work I have put into my arms. Id be upset losing any substantial amount of it.

That being said, I don’t think a few reps of preacher curl thrown in on Wednesday should hurt my progress.[/quote]
I didn’t say you were not committed to working out. I said you are not committed to the program because of lack of curls…

If you do not believe in the program, do something else. Just choose something that is going to make you and your biceps happy. Or do what you want anyways. At the end of the day, it’s your biceps.

ive come up with a compromise, if I hit PR’s on Friday, I do some hypertrophy for the arms. simple. best of both worlds.

[quote]Elivate55 wrote:

[/quote]
No. This is bullshit. Don’t believe everything you read.

Gradually add weight or reps to all your lifts and size will come as long as you are in a caloric surplus. Work on mmc with assistance exercises along the way.

DO NOT do limit strength training without increasing your bodyweight, then do some “hypertrophy program” that some comedienne adapted from a bodybuilder’s contest prep program without focusing on progressive resistance. It does not work like that.

5/3/1 will suit you fine. Include side raises.

Im going to look into 5/3/1 in the next few weeks after I give Texas Method a shot for a few.

Thanks for your input everyone, ive gotten all the information I need on this topic.

Happy lifting.

If you’re going to run it for a few weeks, or start looking at alternatives, you may as well not even bother. The program can be run for years.

Do arm work on the friday as Rippetoe recommends in his article here. Just do straight weight say 5x10 no drop sets etc and focus on mmc and keep weight light. Having close grip as your main bench move not a bad idea either