Texas HS Girls Powerlifting

Well I had a blast watching the high school girls lift during the state meet here in Killeen yesterday. I attended mainly to support my old high school and cousin who was East Texas champ in her weight class(132lb). She faired pretty decent…she placed 5th in state with a total of 720(I might be off a lil). Another girl placed 5th in 198lb class with a 825 total.

They were the only girls even in powerlifting program…this was only second year for the program. I am proud of them…and was amazed at all the strong girls there. They were girls who set total pound record(1060)in 181 class…a 590 squat in 220 class…a 290lb bench(she attempted 300 but hit the rack going up)…and 440 deadlift. A total of seven state records were broken.

These girls were tough. Girls powerlifting in Texas is fairly new and coming along pretty well. Just thought this would be an interesting read for the ladies…and for all.

I have a few pics…will have more when I figure out whats up with my camera…Oh I also forgot to mention this girl from Red Oak…she deadlifted 375lbs in 165 weight class…come to find out she’s only 14yrs old…a freakin FRESHMAN…scary.

My cousin

Ashley

Thanks for the info. If you have any more pictures and stats I would love to hear them.

It’s pretty inspirational and humbling at the same time.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
Thanks for the info. If you have any more pictures and stats I would love to hear them.

It’s pretty inspirational and humbling at the same time.[/quote]

I’ll try to post the stats when they become available…yeah…I’m sure its pretty humbling for some when these girls are wearing “I’m Stronger Than Your Boyfriend” or “Don’t You Wish Your Girlfriend Was Strong Like Me” t-shirts. Especially when some of these girls are also your “typical” cheerleaders(my cousin) and such. It was amazing how many mothers were very supportive of their daughters powerlifting. There were a few who seemed to be appalled…men included.

Squat 2nd run…300lbs in 132 weight class…she fail attempted 320 lbs after that. Ashley did 330lbs in 198 weight class…didn’t get a good picture of it though.

The girls that impressed me the most were the 14yr old freshman placing 4th in state at 165lbs…and getting that 375 deadlift at 165lbs…and being 5’10."

The girl from Georgetown with 1060 total at 181 weight class. Girl from Banquete(?) with 450 squat at 181lbs. Also the 220+ class with 590 squat. Even if she was super heavyweight,thats a lot of weight for high school period…boys included.

It is a hugh weekend. I believe the final count for the meet was around 430 girls. Six platforms over two days…it is long and alot of work. I was working both days on the last platform. Glad you enjoyed it. But more glad it was the last year we were running it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Somebody elses turn.

Malinda

[quote]firebug9 wrote:
It is a hugh weekend. I believe the final count for the meet was around 430 girls. Six platforms over two days…it is long and alot of work. I was working both days on the last platform. Glad you enjoyed it. But more glad it was the last year we were running it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Somebody elses turn.

Malinda[/quote]

Wow. Let’s see, thats 430 girls, six platforms, 71 girls per platform, so you worked about 35 girls each day!!

I’m sure you are an inspiration to many of the girls, and it’s time well spent that could make a difference in their lives. But, yeah, I bet you’re glad to hand it over next year.

[quote]firebug9 wrote:

Somebody elses turn.

Malinda[/quote]

Yeah…just being there,I could imagine all the hard work put into the meet. Nice honor of the volunteers/soldiers at the end. I enjoyed it very much…I would have never known about it if my family hadn’t told me my cousin was competing.

Lol…I also enjoyed watching my wife’s looks of disbelief with the weights the girls were lifting. She’s one of those that’s afraid of getting “too buff.” Maybe this will change her mindset.

I need to come lift at your gym,firebug…Golds Gym is not cutting it for me anymore. I need somewhere a little more “dirty.” PM me with some info about the gym…you had mentioned it to me before.

[quote]firebug9 wrote:

Somebody elses turn.

Malinda[/quote]

I am jealous and blown away by the fact you guys have grown HS powerlifting to the point you need seperate events for girls/boys.

I can understand being relieved you don’t have to do it again next year! That’s crazy.

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
firebug9 wrote:

Somebody elses turn.

Malinda

I am jealous and blown away by the fact you guys have grown HS powerlifting to the point you need seperate events for girls/boys.

I can understand being relieved you don’t have to do it again next year! That’s crazy.[/quote]

Each with their own association…THSPA and THSWPA…amazing.

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
firebug9 wrote:

Somebody elses turn.

Malinda

I can understand being relieved you don’t have to do it again next year! That’s crazy.[/quote]

We have run the girls meet for the past 9 years that I know of and one year we had both the girls and the boys! It was well over 800 lifters over three days and only 5 platforms then. That was the weekend from Hell… last time we did that.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

Each with their own association…THSPA and THSWPA…amazing.[/quote]

I know, man. It’s nuts. The depth of talent is amazing, as well.

[quote]firebug9 wrote:

We have run the girls meet for the past 9 years that I know of and one year we had both the girls and the boys! It was well over 800 lifters over three days and only 5 platforms then. That was the weekend from Hell… last time we did that.

[/quote]

I can’t imagine trying to run that kind of volume in a weekend. Kudos to you guys. That takes dedication!

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
firebug9 wrote:

Somebody elses turn.

Malinda

Wow. Let’s see, thats 430 girls, six platforms, 71 girls per platform, so you worked about 35 girls each day!!

I’m sure you are an inspiration to many of the girls, and it’s time well spent that could make a difference in their lives. But, yeah, I bet you’re glad to hand it over next year.

[/quote]

Thanks Yo Momma and don’t get me wrong I enjoy helping the lifters – their coaches on the other hand, well they tend to be jackasses…

cool

Okay, that’s the first good thing I’ve heard come out of Texas.

I always had a suspicion that women were stronger than men - in Texas.

[quote]kroby wrote:
Okay, that’s the first good thing I’ve heard come out of Texas.

I always had a suspicion that women were stronger than men - in Texas.[/quote]

good sarcasm…thanks.