T Nation

Texas High School Steroid Policy

I got this from my son a freshman football player.

I have to be extremely careful with the products he takes.

What supps from Biotest should we stay away from.

Be Alert!
The University Interscholastic League (UIL) will begin a random anabolic steroid testing program for high school
student athletes in the 2007-2008 school year.

Use of anabolic steroids not prescribed by a doctor, and/or use of nutritional or dietary supplements (available
online and in many stores) that may contain or be contaminated with steroid-like chemicals, can cause a positive
steroid test result. A positive result on a steroid test will result in a loss of eligibility for a minimum of 30 days.
Nutritional or dietary supplements include but may not be limited to:

�?� supplements marketed as 'pro-hormones' of testosterone (e.g.; andro; DHEA, etc.)
�?� numerous herbal extracts (e.g.; crysin, saw palmetto, tribulus terrestris, etc.)
�?� protein powders, amino acids supplements and creatine
�?� vitamin supplements and mineral supplements

Dietary supplements are not considered to be a food or a drug and therefore the contents and purity of these
products is NOT tested closely or regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Athletes must be aware that they are responsible for everything they eat, drink and put into their body. Ignorance
and/or lack of intent are not acceptable excuses for a positive steroid test result.
The UIL and TEA want to make students, parents, coaches and school administrators aware that
dietary supplements can contain, or be contaminated with, steroid-like chemicals that can cause a
'positive' test result.

A positive result on a steroid test will result in a loss of eligibility for a minimum
of 30 days.
Contact the University Interscholastic League online at www.uil.utexas.edu with questions
or to obtain additional information.
Student Signature Date
Parent/Guardian Signature Date
Revised 7-2007

My son also goes to High School in Texas. I can't imagine any of the supplements he takes could result in a positive test, Metabolic Drive, Surge, Flameout, Beta-7, and BCAA. He also takes ZMA at night. I have wondered about it, but I don't see how any of these would give a false positive on a steroid test. Ifanybody has any better insight on the matter I would also appreciate it.

I could understand that maybe a product like Alpha Male could give a positive if it raised Testosterone levels enough, but I don't let him take that anyway.

That letter looks like a bunch of horse shit littered with some scare tactics.

There was one company that did release a product long time ago that was "contaminated" with d-bol, but they got busted.

No company in their right mind, or even if they were nuts, would try a stunt like that now.

they tried this shit @ my old high school.

really how are they gong to test for Tribulus or something?

oh man, this kids t-levels are high-normal, he must be on steroids and not going through puberty!

Never mind the tribulus -- vitamin supplements are on the chopping block! WTF? "Holy sheepshit -- this kid [/i]doesn't[/i] have scurvy! He must be taking a steroid-tainted supplement!" I'm having one of those 'good gawd is everyone but me fuckin' stupid?' moments.

It's a 30 day suspension no matter what.

as competitive as football in texas is. You have to worry about your own team mates who are not starting accusing you so they will get playing time.

My son is a frshman at Southlake Carroll

national champions the last 2 years

state champions 4 of last 5 years.

So we are under the microscope.

As a bear minimum, I would stay away from Andro or anything of similar nature (any kind of growth hormone). Remember the stink when everyone found out Mark Macguire was taking it? This would probably knock Alpha Male from your list. It shouldn't be a problem, but if there's a chance they nick you for it, don't do it.

I'd say your safe bets are protein powder/amino acid (Surge & Metabolic Drive), and vitamin/mineral supplements. I mean, how can they possibly test your vitamin levels and prove you're on the juice? "He's high in calcium and vitamin D, he's on the roids!" Maybe you just like milk...

Then again, I spent a fair amount of time in the principal's office as a youth, so I know how draconic the school systems can be.

This kind of shit just pisses me off.

I second skyzyks,
I wouldn't worry. Sounds like they just want to scare the kids. How are they going to ban vitamins?

Why? This sounds like a good policy to me. Steriod use among teenage football players is a problem. Everybody is looking for an edge because the stakes are so high. College scholarships are worth big money not to mention a possible future in the NFL. But teens don't need to be messing around with their body's natural hormone production.

Schools aren't banning nutritional supplements, but they are putting players on notice that they need to be careful about what they take and to make sure they get those sups from reputable sources. Ignorance is no excuse for a positive test result.

Supplement producers aren't going to intentionally mislable something, but an athlete may well get something from someone who they think has their best interests at heart that may not be what they think it is (andro, or a test booster). Ergo they need to be careful about where they get their sups.

I can't say why he's pissed off specifically, but this type of letter does piss me off for two very important reasons:

1. It's a scare tactic based on propaganda, not fact.
  2. It puts the responsibility on the student beyond factors he/she can control.

I'm all for personal responsibility but where in the letter does it direct the athlete's to educational material about steroid/drug use? Where does it outline the testing standards?

By being an absolute responsibility it "implies" there is no appeal process, this could adversely impact college acceptance.

Who runs the testing? Are they certified? Do they take a second sample at the same time?

Although the chances of a supplement being lined with steroids is remote (I believe CaliLaw posted an IOC press release from 2002 indicating ~15% were), the athlete should have a mandated recourse to refute the charges.

There's a lot in this to be pissed off, mostly ignorance.

To the original poster, since I went on a rant I should at least give my reply to your question.

Your son should be fine with any of the protein powders, Surge for immediately after training, and the BCAAs, BETA-7 (it's basically just an amino acids, just specific in purpose), ZMA and creatine.

Since he's a teenager, he shouldn't need any of the test boosters anyway. You could always have his testosterone levels tested by a doctor and if he's low, then use something under "medically supervision". But really he shouldn't need it.

Good luck with the season.

Basically just the heavy-handed, scare tactic approach. I am absolutely fine with the schools doing steroid testing and think it is a good thing. They are putting a warning on vitamins. Next thing you know we'll have to warn the kids about drinking tap water, because you never know when the water source has been doped.

Come to think of it, if the state is going to warn against such a wide variety of products, the least they could do is provide the kids with a "safe list". Ie, "the following products are deemed legal for use by our athletes", so the kids aren't afraid to get some supplements to assist in their goals. If it's not on the list, it wouldn't be guaranteed legal.

I used a simple protein powder when I was 15 but I sure as hell didn't know what was really in it.

From a testing standpoint, the only thing he has to stay away from is any prohormone, as these will alter hormone ratios in the body that are checked in a steroid screen.

Also, many of the prohormones are closely related to actual steroids, which will cause a positive for anabolics. Tribulus isn't a worry because it's an extract and isn't an exogenous hormone. It just encourages one's body to produce more testosterone, but not enough to skew hormone ratios. And it will not cause a false positive.

Protein, creatine, and vitamins are of no alarm. This letter is a scare tactic, like mentioned, and it's purpose is to get an athlete to really think about the consequences of using, and choose not to do so.

High School was the biggest waste of time ever. I wish I would have gotten my GED and started to college at age 16. Four years varsity sports was fun, but it didn't prepare me for the real world at all.

High School Administrators were also the most ignorant draconian mother$%&^%$# out there.

I for one, am glad the testing policy is in place so my son can clear his name, his nickname has been "piperoid" for 3 years now. If your one of the kids that works harder and "smarter" than everyone else everybody thinks it must be steroids. We have offered for the coaching staff to test him in the past, but they say it's not necessary. I actually hope he is one of the ones chosen to be randomly tested.

Agreed.
My son got the same thing.

What concerns me the most is HOW and WHO will administer the test.
Coaches?
Teachers?
Trainer?
Principal (s)

Will they be trained in the handling of the urine?
This seems to be a very large loop hole that could be used to band players if they are unpopular or just "to good".

If the school did testing by licensed, trained, non biased 3rd party people then my son can piss away and not worry.

If not then I will BE PISSED...

Our head coach of football refers to creatine as 'legal steroids'. The knowledge of nutrition in athletics is pathetic.

Exactly. And this is why education (with testing is great) should be used rather than propaganda and scare tactics.

My daughter was told by her coach (Basketball) that creatine is a cancer causing, kidney killing skurge...

She teaches Health by the way...

So much for the "educated".