Texas High School Football

[quote]hoosegow wrote:
Not to come off sounding racist, but Valley and El Paso teams are dominantly hispanic and as such have historically been smaller.

They get up to where there is some size and they are just overwhelmed.

rainjack, I hope your kid is living it up. Must be a hell of a ride. [/quote]

Yeah, but those valley towns have a hell of a lot of support. I remember going down there to play a game. Seems like the whole area went to watch the game. Wish we had that kind of homefield advantage.

How accurate is that show Friday Night Lights on NBC?

[quote]timbofirstblood wrote:
How accurate is that show Friday Night Lights on NBC?[/quote]

The involvement from the community is pretty accurate. The drama in the school - we don’t have that kind of stuff around here.

The live and die with the team is dead on.

They have a documentary out now about 6-man football. It’s making the film festival circuit currently. and will hopefully be ready for release on DVD soon.

http://www.sixmantexas.com/

All anyone has to do is to read the book “Friday Night Lights” to find out what a religion Texas High School football is…

Rainjack…congrats to your son…

[quote]timbofirstblood wrote:
How accurate is that show Friday Night Lights on NBC?[/quote]

More like the movie Varsity Blues.

The book is based on a year spent with the Odessa Permian High School Texas - a great book and one of the best sports books ever written…

The TV show is a soap opera…more along the lines of the Hills or whatever those shows are called…

The first season of the show was ok…but too damn silly for me. The actual movie was dead on though.

And props to Killeen Kangaroos and Copperas Cove Bulldawgs for still going strong. And major props to my East Texas Longview Lobos…Gilmer Buckeyes…Carthage Bulldogs…and Daingerfield Tigers.

I am really hoping for a Killeen vs Longview final in Div.1 4A…I will definitely attend if it happens.

[quote]JCredible wrote:
The book is based on a year spent with the Odessa Permian High School Texas - a great book and one of the best sports books ever written…

The TV show is a soap opera…more along the lines of the Hills or whatever those shows are called…[/quote]

Yeah, I was asking more about the way the community works rather than the individual plot lines on the show. That book sounds pretty cool; I’ll have to check it out when I get a chance.

Great job to you and your son, Rainjack. What fun!

[quote]oneforship wrote:
rainjack wrote:
It’s playoff time for the Greatest State’s official religion!

From the big boys in Class 5A, all the way down to Division II Six-man, the journey to a State Championship ring started yesterday for some - tonight for most.

I’m getting ready to head out on a short 80 mile trip to watch my son’s team play their first round game.

I know that the heathens that are non-Texans have no clue as to the power Texas High School Football holds on communities across the Greatest State. About the closest anyone can get to it might be Indiana Basketball.

If you are from Texas, let’s hear it for God’s Sport in God’s State.

Nothing like those Friday night lights…having played under them and watched games under them, it’s a different sport back in Texas. Nowhere else do you play in NFL stadiums for the high school rivalry games…[/quote]

Baltimore’s City/Poly game is played in the Raven’s M&T Bank Stadium.

I think there is a good amount of similarity to both movies and the TV show.

I graduated in 97 and we went 12 - 2 in 4A. If I went to class, it was to sleep. Nobody minded as long as you scored 2 - 5 TD’s in the a game.

Myself and another player decided we wouldn’t go to school the morning of a playoff game and hung out at his house, not doing much but ditching school.

The coach contacted our parents and told them that if we weren’t at school by lunch, the UIL would not let us play. So we made it by lunchtime and it was no big deal.

Also, my Sr. year the English teacher made me a deal that if I scored 5 TDs in the District Championship game, I wouldn’t have to write a Sr. Research Paper. Long story short - 3 TDs in the 1H - and 0 in 2H. This was against Forest Brook for anyone in the area.

Anyways, I could go on and on with the treatment we did recieve from the school,community. and even the local police.

Alma Mater - Friendswood won another game by 20 this Saturday. I think they are in the quaterfinals this week. I don’t see them being stopped but all it will take is a superb defensive performance…

Viva Texas!

Good Luck Rjack!

Well, All good things have to come to an end. My son’s team was eviscerated in the State Semi-Finals by a score of 52-6 by the #1 team in the state.

It was quite a shock that we were spanked so convincingly, until we found out that our District MVP running back was running a temp of 103 for most of the game, and didn’t tell anyone until he passed out in the locker room at half-time.

I don’t know that we would have won even if he had been 100% healthy, though.

Anyhow, it was the deepest our little school has ever been in any UIL competition. The kids got to play in a 10,000 seat stadium that had field turf and a jumbo tron.

Contrast that to some of our games that were played in a glorified cotton field, or across the highway from a cotton gin spitting out so much gin trash it looks like it’s snowing.

Immediately after the game, my son cried like someone shot his mother. That’s probably the hardest part for me to take. There’s nothing I can do to ease the pain of losing a shot at the finals.

there is a small consolation for him, though. He was selected first team all-district center.

I appreciate all you guys reading this little tribute to my son and his team.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Well, All good things have to come to an end. My son’s team was eviscerated in the State Semi-Finals by a score of 52-6 by the #1 team in the state.

It was quite a shock that we were spanked so convincingly, until we found out that our District MVP running back was running a temp of 103 for most of the game, and didn’t tell anyone until he passed out in the locker room at half-time.

I don’t know that we would have won even if he had been 100% healthy, though.

Anyhow, it was the deepest our little school has ever been in any UIL competition. The kids got to play in a 10,000 seat stadium that had field turf and a jumbo tron.

Contrast that to some of our games that were played in a glorified cotton field, or across the highway from a cotton gin spitting out so much gin trash it looks like it’s snowing.

Immediately after the game, my son cried like someone shot his mother. That’s probably the hardest part for me to take. There’s nothing I can do to ease the pain of losing a shot at the finals.

there is a small consolation for him, though. He was selected first team all-district center.

I appreciate all you guys reading this little tribute to my son and his team.

[/quote]

Congrats to your son and the team. Making it to semifinals in any class in our state speaks tons. Killeen finally succumbed to Austin Lake Travis 71-9(ouch!).

Our neighbors,Copperas Cove,are still playing like beasts in 5A.

And back home,Carthage,Daingerfield and Longview are still playing strong in their classes as well.

I know first hand how diappointed you can feel getting so close the a big goal like this.

Then again on the other hand, your son will be able to look back and realize that he was part of a team that was better than 95% of the other teams that year and playing later in the year than all but 2 of them.

Friendswood is meeting Lake Travis at A/M this weekend for what should be quite the shootout. The 2 QB’s (going to T Tech and Texas) have combined for 85 passing TD’s this season.

It will take a huge game to get to the Finals but that is why they play the game.

[quote]JGerman wrote:
I know first hand how diappointed you can feel getting so close the a big goal like this.

Then again on the other hand, your son will be able to look back and realize that he was part of a team that was better than 95% of the other teams that year and playing later in the year than all but 2 of them.

Friendswood is meeting Lake Travis at A/M this weekend for what should be quite the shootout. The 2 QB’s (going to T Tech and Texas) have combined for 85 passing TD’s this season.

It will take a huge game to get to the Finals but that is why they play the game. [/quote]

That is going to be a game worth seeing. I might make the drive to College Station to see that one. Lets hope for a Friendswood vs. Longview championship :wink:

[quote]rainjack wrote:
FormerlyTexasGuy wrote:
It was pretty cool in high school. I do find it strange though that in the small towns it is practically the epitome of life. But that is true outside of Texas as well.

O’doyle Rules!

I guess you would have to define “small town”. The Midland-Odessa area has a combined population of about 250,000. They also sport no less than 2-20,000 seat football stadiums: Ratliffe Stadium in Odessa, and Grande Communications Stadium in Midland. Shotwell Stadium, in Abilene (pop. 110K) is about the same size.

Highland Park is one of the wealthiest cities in the US, is right off the Central Expressway in the Heart of Dallas, and is the winningest football program in the history of Texas High School Football.

It’s far more a Texas thing than it is a small town thing.
[/quote]

As some one who Grew up in Plano – I hate that city(Highland Park that is, not real fond of Midland-Odessa either)…LOL. Plano used to hold that honor – guess we lost it since I was in High School.

Boy do I miss High school foot ball. Brings back many memories…

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

That is going to be a game worth seeing. I might make the drive to College Station to see that one. Lets hope for a Friendswood vs. Longview championship ;)[/quote]

Not sure I can make it but it is on 1540 AM… in Houton.