T Nation

Texas High School Football

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
This may be a stupid question but in the rules it says this:

“4 . There must be a ‘clean exchange’ of the football. The quarterback must hand off, pitch or throw the ball before it can cross the line of scrimmage.”

So does that mean before someone can run the ball past the line or does that mean before any down field pass can be thrown also?

I assume you can throw a down field pass without a pitch or handoff, but I’m still confused. I mean the down field pass counts as the clean exchange right?

Jesus I think I’ve gone full blown retard.[/quote]

First off, let me just say that it is an honor that someone actually took the time to go to the 6-man website.

So, enough ass kissing.

Basically, that rule is just legal speak for saying that the person taking the snap from center cannot run with the ball.

The QB can pass, but he can’t run unless another player takes a clean exchange first.

In other words -

Let’s take a normal QB draw, or a QB sweep in 11-man. For the sixw man version, someone has to have possession of the ball before giving it to the QB to make a rush.

Usually, this is handled by positioning the QB BEHIND two up-backs, having one of the up-backs receive the snap and lateraling the football back to the QB. From that position, the QB can either run or throw.

It is not nearly as confusing as it sounds. I watched my first 6-man game 10 seasons ago and have been the statistician for our high school team ever since. It is a very addicting game.

In fact, most of the spread formations in 11-man can trace their roots back to the lowly 6-man version of God’s Game.

[quote]QB1 wrote:
You Texans crack me up. High school football is great in Texas, no doubt. But you guys act like other states have no idea what it’s like. Give me a break. High school football is huge in Forida, California, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and yes even around here in little Nebraska. Remember the Husker teams that used to be good (90’s/ prior to the Bill Callahan experiment) those teams were full of Nebraska kids. The 94-95 national title teams had 13 of 22 starters were from Nebraska. The talent around here hasn’t gotten worse, it just goes elsewhere for college. My point is, yes high school football in Texas is great, but don’t act like everyone else just doesn’t get it. [/quote]

Oh, you guys can play all the football you want. It will never be Texas high school football. You would have to live here to understand. Ohio football? No offense, but that’s like Coke Zero and George Dickel being compared to Real Coke and Woodford Reserve.

Yeah, they look similar, and the taste is not THAT much different - but it’s niot the same thing, and anyone who has a palate would know the difference immediately.

Here’s a video link for a little background on the 6-man game:

[quote]rainjack wrote:
It’s playoff time for the Greatest State’s official religion!

From the big boys in Class 5A, all the way down to Division II Six-man, the journey to a State Championship ring started yesterday for some - tonight for most.

I’m getting ready to head out on a short 80 mile trip to watch my son’s team play their first round game.

I know that the heathens that are non-Texans have no clue as to the power Texas High School Football holds on communities across the Greatest State. About the closest anyone can get to it might be Indiana Basketball.

If you are from Texas, let’s hear it for God’s Sport in God’s State. [/quote]

So can Gene Hackman come and play a crusty old Texas football coach? We’ll call it ‘Lone Stars’ or something appropriate. ;>

Jack Pardee - greatest 6 man football player ever.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Here’s a video link for a little background on the 6-man game:

That was kind of sad, those boys had to give up their season, hard to believe that other boys didn’t want to play. Pretty cool though.

A couple of firsts happened in the Area Championships last night.

1. My son’s team won 60-21, earning them their deepest run in the state playoffs (quarterfinals) in school history.

2. rainjack made his broadcast radio debut as the color guy half of the broadcast team.

On to the quarter finals.

The Owls (My son’s team) will be playing in the State Semi-Finals for the first time in school history.

Down 22-0 at the end of the first quarter, the Owls came back to pull out the win 70 - 62.

Outstanding!! Cool thread. Keep us posted Rainjack!!

Congrats to your son’s team, your community must be thriving. I remember a few years back when we went to state there was a strange, unified spirit around the town for a few weeks. It was pretty cool.

[quote]rainjack wrote:

1. rainjack made his broadcast radio debut as the color guy half of the broadcast team.

[/quote]

If it was half as ‘colorful’ as your posts here, I’m sure it was quite entertaining. Will future broadcasts require a 5 second delay? :wink:

Florida HS football is athletically superior to every other state. Just sayin’.

My alma mater lost last night. Got beat by San Antonio Clark. Deep run for a valley team.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
rainjack wrote:

1. rainjack made his broadcast radio debut as the color guy half of the broadcast team.

If it was half as ‘colorful’ as your posts here, I’m sure it was quite entertaining. Will future broadcasts require a 5 second delay? ;)[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. He should go professional. So much better than the tools on NFL network.

[quote]hoosegow wrote:
My alma mater lost last night. Got beat by San Antonio Clark. Deep run for a valley team.[/quote]

Are valley people notoriously lesser football players?

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
rainjack wrote:

If it was half as ‘colorful’ as your posts here, I’m sure it was quite entertaining. Will future broadcasts require a 5 second delay? ;)[/quote]

Not quite as colorful - but from the from the feedback I have received, I maintain the spirit of rainjackness.

During the 4th quarter of the game last night, a thick fog rolled in, and literally hid the entire field from the broadcast booth. All I could make out were the silhouettes of a mass of players.

It was no fun last night.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
hoosegow wrote:
My alma mater lost last night. Got beat by San Antonio Clark. Deep run for a valley team.

Are valley people notoriously lesser football players?[/quote]

Valley teams and El Paso teams are eternal patsies for the rest of the State - or have been for the last 40 years.

[quote]esk221 wrote:
Florida HS football is athletically superior to every other state. Just sayin’.[/quote]

This is not a discussion about any supposed “athletic superiority” of one state over another.

This is a discussion about a religion. You evidently don’t understand it.

Start your own thread on the greatness that is Florida football.

Not to come off sounding racist, but Valley and El Paso teams are dominantly hispanic and as such have historically been smaller.

They get up to where there is some size and they are just overwhelmed.

rainjack, I hope your kid is living it up. Must be a hell of a ride.

[quote]hoosegow wrote:
Not to come off sounding racist, but Valley and El Paso teams are dominantly hispanic and as such have historically been smaller.

They get up to where there is some size and they are just overwhelmed.

rainjack, I hope your kid is living it up. Must be a hell of a ride. [/quote]

He’s a 17-year old junior. I told him this morning that he will remember this 5 week period for the rest of his life. Hell, I’m not even on the team, and I will never forget this ride.