Texas High School Football

It’s playoff time for the Greatest State’s official religion!

From the big boys in Class 5A, all the way down to Division II Six-man, the journey to a State Championship ring started yesterday for some - tonight for most.

I’m getting ready to head out on a short 80 mile trip to watch my son’s team play their first round game.

I know that the heathens that are non-Texans have no clue as to the power Texas High School Football holds on communities across the Greatest State. About the closest anyone can get to it might be Indiana Basketball.

If you are from Texas, let’s hear it for God’s Sport in God’s State.

[quote]rainjack wrote:

From the big boys in Class 5A, all the way down to Division II Six-man, the journey to a State Championship ring started yesterday for some - tonight for most.

I’m getting ready to head out on a short 80 mile trip to watch my son’s team play their first round game.

I know that the heathens that are non-Texans have no clue as to the power Texas High School Football holds on communities across the Greatest State. About the closest anyone can get to it might be Indiana Basketball.

If you are from Texas, let’s hear it for God’s Sport in God’s State. [/quote]

I would normally start of by saying something bad about Texans, but I have family out there.

Actually, where My uncle live in Kingston (just outside of Dallas) it is baseball country. The people in that area are crazy into it. Both my cousins teams went deep in the little league world series.

[quote]rainjack wrote:

Nothing like those Friday night lights…having played under them and watched games under them, it’s a different sport back in Texas. Nowhere else do you play in NFL stadiums for the high school rivalry games…

Not from Texas, but…

Best of luck to your young man…

It was pretty cool in high school. I do find it strange though that in the small towns it is practically the epitome of life. But that is true outside of Texas as well.

O’doyle Rules!

[quote]oneforship wrote:
Nowhere else do you play in NFL stadiums for the high school rivalry games…[/quote]

Ohio

I have no need to ever go to Texas, but I’ve read quite a few books about Texas high school football. Shit really is ridiculous.

Best of luck to your son’s team - I’m kind of surprised you guys start so late in the year for playoffs. I know around these parts they’ve been going on for three weeks now.

[quote]SSC wrote:
I have no need to ever go to Texas or support anything from there, but I’ve read quite a few books about Texas high school football. Shit really is ridiculous.[/quote]

Because Michigan is awesome…?

Good luck to your son. Mine is too young to play yet, but our school made the playoffs for the first time in 42 years. Yes, that’s since 1966. Kickoff in 30 minutes.

[quote]doogie wrote:
Good luck to your son. Mine is too young to play yet, but our school made the playoffs for the first time in 42 years. Yes, that’s since 1966. Kickoff in 30 minutes.[/quote]

First District Championship for our little town in 17 years. We play Division II Six Man, and we won the bi-district championship by a score of 71-24 tonight. Scoring is extremely high in 6-man. We won our last game of the season last week 80-0, and the game was called at half time.

If anyone is interested in 6-man football, check out

On to the area championship next week.

[quote]FormerlyTexasGuy wrote:
It was pretty cool in high school. I do find it strange though that in the small towns it is practically the epitome of life. But that is true outside of Texas as well.

O’doyle Rules![/quote]

I guess you would have to define “small town”. The Midland-Odessa area has a combined population of about 250,000. They also sport no less than 2-20,000 seat football stadiums: Ratliffe Stadium in Odessa, and Grande Communications Stadium in Midland. Shotwell Stadium, in Abilene (pop. 110K) is about the same size.

Highland Park is one of the wealthiest cities in the US, is right off the Central Expressway in the Heart of Dallas, and is the winningest football program in the history of Texas High School Football.

It’s far more a Texas thing than it is a small town thing.

[quote]SSC wrote:
I have no need to ever go to Texas, but I’ve read quite a few books about Texas high school football. Shit really is ridiculous.

Best of luck to your son’s team - I’m kind of surprised you guys start so late in the year for playoffs. I know around these parts they’ve been going on for three weeks now.[/quote]

There’s an old saying that goes something like “Only headhunters play in December”. If a team is still playing football in December, they are in the semi-finals.

UIL rules say to start in late August, play a 10-game schedule with one bye week, and start the playoffs the week after that.

This may be a stupid question but in the rules it says this:

“4 . There must be a ‘clean exchange’ of the football. The quarterback must hand off, pitch or throw the ball before it can cross the line of scrimmage.”

So does that mean before someone can run the ball past the line or does that mean before any down field pass can be thrown also?

I assume you can throw a down field pass without a pitch or handoff, but I’m still confused. I mean the down field pass counts as the clean exchange right?

Jesus I think I’ve gone full blown retard.

My alma mater plays in a bi-district game just down the road in Judson stadium tonight against a Del Rio team. They are going to get their asses handed to them because a Valley team can’t play well in the cold.

I lived Friday Night Lights in 87,88, and 89. It is a sickness.

You Texans crack me up. High school football is great in Texas, no doubt. But you guys act like other states have no idea what it’s like. Give me a break. High school football is huge in Forida, California, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and yes even around here in little Nebraska. Remember the Husker teams that used to be good (90’s/ prior to the Bill Callahan experiment) those teams were full of Nebraska kids. The 94-95 national title teams had 13 of 22 starters were from Nebraska. The talent around here hasn’t gotten worse, it just goes elsewhere for college. My point is, yes high school football in Texas is great, but don’t act like everyone else just doesn’t get it.

When I was a senior in high school (I was 160 lbs so no I didn’t play) our team went to the State championships in 5A Div. I. It was quite an experience, I can’t imagine what it would have been like to be on the team. Damn you Southlake-Carroll!

[quote]rainjack wrote:
FormerlyTexasGuy wrote:

O’doyle Rules!

I guess you would have to define “small town”. The Midland-Odessa area has a combined population of about 250,000. They also sport no less than 2-20,000 seat football stadiums: Ratliffe Stadium in Odessa, and Grande Communications Stadium in Midland. Shotwell Stadium, in Abilene (pop. 110K) is about the same size.

Highland Park is one of the wealthiest cities in the US, is right off the Central Expressway in the Heart of Dallas, and is the winningest football program in the history of Texas High School Football.

It’s far more a Texas thing than it is a small town thing.
[/quote]
Yeah, Odessa is pretty small. If it were part of a major metropolitan it wouldn’t be but as it is it’s own economic center, it is.

Highland park is good. So was Katy when I played there. 5A, pretty much steamrolled everyone a few years back. It was a lot of fun. I’m sure you heard of us as you follow high school football religiously.

Not knocking football, I just find it weird people live vicariously through high school teams 30 years after the fact.

Parenting a playing child is different however.

I guess it changes things when you have college and pro teams in your city to watch, even if they do suck.

Like I said, it was cool in highschool.

[quote]rainjack wrote:

There’s an old saying that goes something like “Only headhunters play in December”. If a team is still playing football in December, they are in the semi-finals.

[/quote]

In Ohio it’s “practice on Thanksgiving.” Same idea behind it though, if your post practice meal is turkey dinner your team is DEEP in the playoffs.

Watch out for Friendswood (4A) this year. They knocked down the defending state champs last night (lamar consolidated).

Their QB committed to Tech at the beginning of the year. I am sure that will make you happy RainJ. He threw 14 TD in the last 2 regualar season games and they were not against slouch teams (LaMarque and Brazosport).

In 97 we went to the state quarterfinals (12-2) before getting knocked out by the eventual champs, LaMarque. Talk about a long season.

I know other states has some tradition but nothing like Texas HS FB.

[quote]rainjack wrote:

Amen!