Texas Gun Control Protest

I’m a gun owner and all for it, but I don’t understand the people who get so worked up over this issue. Nobody is trying to get rid of gun rights. Personally, I don’t have a problem with background checks and stuff to help stop a criminal from legally obtaining a gun. I think the people who get really worked up and worry their guns are going to be taken away are nutty. The logistical problem of getting guns out of every home in America is pretty much impossible. And nobody of any relevance is trying to do that. Where I live they are allowing people to turn in old unused guns for tax credits (or something like that) I have no problem with that, nobody is forcing them to do it, if someone wants to get rid of an old gun, they can.

Bullshit, nobody of any relevance is trying to get rid of gun rights.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
1000rippedbuff wrote:
Bullshit, nobody of any relevance is trying to get rid of gun rights.

Well, that’s good to know. We can all relax now.[/quote]

Hahaha! he’s just a guy who’s to cheap to join the NRA. Don’t worry, I’ll fight your battles.

[quote]1000rippedbuff wrote:
I’m a gun owner and all for it, but I don’t understand the people who get so worked up over this issue. Nobody is trying to get rid of gun rights. Personally, I don’t have a problem with background checks and stuff to help stop a criminal from legally obtaining a gun. I think the people who get really worked up and worry their guns are going to be taken away are nutty. The logistical problem of getting guns out of every home in America is pretty much impossible. And nobody of any relevance is trying to do that. Where I live they are allowing people to turn in old unused guns for tax credits (or something like that) I have no problem with that, nobody is forcing them to do it, if someone wants to get rid of an old gun, they can.[/quote]

From change.gov:

Address Gun Violence in Cities: Obama and Biden would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent.

That’s funny. I own rifles that would fall under this. And with a AWB 2.0 I can’t buy any more, leaving my new daughter without a rifle. If I could afford one I’d pay triple today to see to it she has one, even if it were a POS SKS. If I can’t get her a rifle then you’ve effectively banned it. I’m sick of being told that they aren’t coming after my guns; they’re just taking the back door like the cowards they are. No, they will never come door to door to take them as that would spark a civil war, but do not be deceived in believing that they don’t intend to get them.

You know why guys like me get bent out of shape about issues like this? Because I’m not doing the job I want to do (infantry back in the Corps) because I have to stay stateside and pick up YOUR slack. Dammit, I’m trying to be more civil with people but this really ruffles my feathers. My 2-day old girl’s birthright is being squandered and eroded from all sides, and I’m not talking about the guns. It’s never about the guns. It’s about freedom and no one fucking understands it.

Nutty. Tell that to the residents of NO after Katrina. Tell that to the Americans stuck in Japanese internment camps. Tell that to the Bonus Army. I’m getting sick of this shit. If I were a lesser man I’d leave this country which aparantly has abandoned me and laugh as you cowards burn in this stew you’ve created. Dammit, and I used to be such a nice guy.

mike

This always pisses me off. There is no damn “loophole”.

A few years back I rented a booth at a comic book show and sold a bunch of old McFarlane Spider-Man comics. That doesn’t make me comic shop owner or anything more than an individual selling some of my personal belongings to another individual.

It’s the same thing at flea markets, swap meets, garage sales, and fucking gun shows. There is no loophole.

[quote]sikunt wrote:
Why are there so many americans so fanatical about guns? ‘i want you to know that those slogans, take them from my cold dead hands, when guns are outlaw i will be an outlaw, are not empty talk.’ are pretty extreme statments to make.

Not flaming, just curious?[/quote]

I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!

Barry Goldwater

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:
1000rippedbuff wrote:
I’m a gun owner and all for it, but I don’t understand the people who get so worked up over this issue. Nobody is trying to get rid of gun rights. Personally, I don’t have a problem with background checks and stuff to help stop a criminal from legally obtaining a gun. I think the people who get really worked up and worry their guns are going to be taken away are nutty. The logistical problem of getting guns out of every home in America is pretty much impossible. And nobody of any relevance is trying to do that. Where I live they are allowing people to turn in old unused guns for tax credits (or something like that) I have no problem with that, nobody is forcing them to do it, if someone wants to get rid of an old gun, they can.

From change.gov:

Address Gun Violence in Cities: Obama and Biden would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent.

That’s funny. I own rifles that would fall under this. And with a AWB 2.0 I can’t buy any more, leaving my new daughter without a rifle. If I could afford one I’d pay triple today to see to it she has one, even if it were a POS SKS. If I can’t get her a rifle then you’ve effectively banned it. I’m sick of being told that they aren’t coming after my guns; they’re just taking the back door like the cowards they are. No, they will never come door to door to take them as that would spark a civil war, but do not be deceived in believing that they don’t intend to get them.

You know why guys like me get bent out of shape about issues like this? Because I’m not doing the job I want to do (infantry back in the Corps) because I have to stay stateside and pick up YOUR slack. Dammit, I’m trying to be more civil with people but this really ruffles my feathers. My 2-day old girl’s birthright is being squandered and eroded from all sides, and I’m not talking about the guns. It’s never about the guns. It’s about freedom and no one fucking understands it.

Nutty. Tell that to the residents of NO after Katrina. Tell that to the Americans stuck in Japanese internment camps. Tell that to the Bonus Army. I’m getting sick of this shit. If I were a lesser man I’d leave this country which aparantly has abandoned me and laugh as you cowards burn in this stew you’ve created. Dammit, and I used to be such a nice guy.

mike[/quote]

Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face.
The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown.:
The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save Us!"...:
...and I'll look down, and whisper, "No"

Rorschach, Watchmen

Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face.

The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown.:
The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save Us!"...:

Rorschach, Watchmen[/quote]

what the fuck is that supposed to mean?

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:

I’m not talking about the guns. It’s never about the guns. It’s about freedom and no one fucking understands it.

Dammit, and I used to be such a nice guy.

mike[/quote]

Ditto this. I never used to be so concerned about the 2nd amendment issue. But over the last few years I’ve come to realize it is much more important that I’ve been giving it credit for, and have subsequently become much more strongly opinioned about it.

It ISN’T about the guns. I enjoy them, I love all objects sharp, pointy, shiny, or shooting, (one of the sides of being interested in history and mil. history) but it’s not about the guns. It’s about the ability to retain my freedom. The more gov’t intrudes on me, the less I want it involved. All our civil freedoms rest on our ability to defend them. I’ve never met a politician who took that seriously (of course, I’ve yet to meet Ron Paul in person).

[quote]"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness…

That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness."[/quote]

This is the purpose of the 2nd amendment. It is not a truth that many people wish to see, or accept. But it’s not about hunting, fishing, recreation, or whatever. It’s about defense of your rights against fellow man or a destructive gov’t.

I sense another very long thread coming up…

[quote]1000rippedbuff wrote:
I’m a gun owner and all for it, but I don’t understand the people who get so worked up over this issue. Nobody is trying to get rid of gun rights.

Personally, I don’t have a problem with background checks and stuff to help stop a criminal from legally obtaining a gun. I think the people who get really worked up and worry their guns are going to be taken away are nutty. The logistical problem of getting guns out of every home in America is pretty much impossible.

And nobody of any relevance is trying to do that. Where I live they are allowing people to turn in old unused guns for tax credits (or something like that) I have no problem with that, nobody is forcing them to do it, if someone wants to get rid of an old gun, they can.[/quote]

Quite frankly I have no issue with background checks when purchasing a gun. However, insofar as it is possible, I want my guns to be un-registered. In almost every instance a government decided to take away the guns of its citizenry, it used the registration list of legally purchased firearms to find the vast majority of them.

But no, I’m not against tax credits for getting rid of an old firearm, or most any voluntary incentive. That’s choice; I’m all for that.

I think the people that want to keep and bear arms in this country better get comfortable with the idea of doing so illegally. Obama will absolutely take away your black rifles with the help of Pelosi and the other nannyists in Washington.

Californians are already experienced in owning what we want despite the law.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
We should compromise. Identify which demographic(s) (for ease, one that can be visually identified) is skewing gun violence stats so much, and make it illegal for them to own firearms.[/quote]

The serious problem with that idea is the group in question also happens to be 7 times more likely to be murdered.

A much better solution would be for people to face reality and accept that government has it’s limits. Then stop making stupid laws which create more problems than they solve.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Quite frankly I have no issue with background checks when purchasing a gun. However, insofar as it is possible, I want my guns to be un-registered.[/quote]

I’ll be damned if I ever register anything I ever own. Fuck that. I don’t need the government knowing what shit I own. They don’t need to know the titles of the DVD’s I own or what books I own or what brand toothpaste I buy.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

Quite frankly I have no issue with background checks when purchasing a gun. However, insofar as it is possible, I want my guns to be un-registered. In almost every instance a government decided to take away the guns of its citizenry, it used the registration list of legally purchased firearms to find the vast majority of them.

[/quote]

Funny, neither do I. Give every gunshop owner a list that updates daily. If you want to buy a gun you provide ID. They look at your name but never write it down. If your name is on the list then you can’t buy a gun. If it isn’t, you buy your gun and there’s never any record of it.

mike

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
Ditto this. I never used to be so concerned about the 2nd amendment issue. But over the last few years I’ve come to realize it is much more important that I’ve been giving it credit for, and have subsequently become much more strongly opinioned about it.

I think the people that want to keep and bear arms in this country better get comfortable with the idea of doing so illegally. Obama will absolutely take away your black rifles with the help of Pelosi and the other nannyists in Washington.

Californians are already experienced in owning what we want despite the law. [/quote]

The huge problem with this thinking is that owning illegal guns gives the government the power to absolutely destroy your life. Think about what it will be like to be trying to get an honest job and you have to fill out a questionnaire that asks “have you ever been convicted of a crime”.

When you can answer yes I have been convicted of felony firearms possession, all the explanations in the world will not help you to get that job. Your life is ruined when that happens.

That is why it is so important to protect the second amendment.

[quote]NickRageSkursky wrote:

Rorschach, Watchmen

what the fuck is that supposed to mean?[/quote]

Go read Watchmen.

Or else you will not be fully able to enjoy the awesomness that will the movie will be.

while i do see a assualt weapons ban coming soon. the dems in power realise that voting on futher restrictions will just get them thrown outta office, especially dems in mostly republican districts.they want to hold on to their cushy jobs.and do you really think dems in states likr idaho, montana,s.d., n.d.,western states, will really go for it? not counting calif, that’s just one mixed up liberal state.

[quote]suruppak wrote:
I wish more people in Illinois thought like us.[/quote]

Right here.

For what it’s worth, I have never really heard anyone propose disarming citizens, and I know a lot of people both on the left and right of the aisle.

I also just voted ‘yes’ to a concealed carry proposal that was on the ballot last year. It lost though.