Texans Ink DE Williams

[quote]rainjack wrote:
GDollars37 wrote:
rainjack wrote:
Bush will never gain over 700 yards per season. THE most over-rated player in the draft. If he’s at any school other than USC - no one ever knows who he is.

Are you serious? I know you’re from Texas, but do you honestly believe this? Have you ever watched him play aside from the Rose Bowl? I’m not sure if he’s the second coming of Gale Sayers, but as long as he stays healthy he will be very good.

I’ve seen him play, he’s too small and too light to handle a 291 pound DE getting a hold of him. And don’t give me the “he’s really really quick” crap. He was a good college player.

Rather than Gale Sayers - he reminds me of another SC back. Charles something-another. He won the Heisman as well, but fizzled like cheap bacon when he actually had to play the game. Bush played in the fucking Pac-10 for pete’s sake. I could be a 1,000 yard rucher in the PAC-10 and I have two bum knees.

Just because the media wants it to happen doesn’t mean it will. And I hate the Longhorns - not as bad as I hate the dcali schools, but I hate them none the less. [/quote]

portis, westbrook, faulk, parker, martin…all backs under 210. its possible that he gets hurt because of his size but he’ll more than likely be fine.

All of these guys have bust written all over them. Bush is another Brian Westbrook at best, Vince Young has Aaron Brooks written all over him. And I don’t mean that in a good way. Leinart has no arm and in the NFL he will be a statue. He’ll be Bledsoe without the arm strength. Or the second coming of Cade Mcnown (anyone remember him?) And from what I’ve heard, Williams is lazy and has a poor work ethic. That’s a death knell in the NFL. He’s another Andre Wadsworth or Courtney Brown. Look at all the hyped guys over the past 10 years. Everyone was called the next so and so. Now where are they? Most of the impact guys in the past decade have been mid first rounders and even lower.

Reggie Bush pretty much singlehandedly won the UNLV game, with 580 all-purpose yards. I think he’ll do ok in the NFL, but I understand the reasons for Texas doing what they did. Defense wins championships.

I just don’t really see how Bush would have helped the Texans. Davis is averaging a little over 1000 yards a year already with no O-line at all. I wish Houston could have traded the pick for some teams entire O-line. Any other teams line would be an improvement.

The Texans needed a D end, so they drafted one. To me that doesn’t seem so stupid. What I do think would be stupid is for the Saints to take Bush. They already have Duece. Plus they could get a decent 1st round pick, and maybe a 3rd round pick which would be important because as of now, they don’t have anything in the 3rd round. If they didn’t trade down though, I can see them picking up Vernon Davis instead of Bush, because their tight ends are getting old, and he would be a nice target for Drew, and a good blocker for Duece (I hope this doesn’t happen, becuase I like Davis, and hate the Saints). If they do trade down, I can see them trading to the Jets and then picking up either Aston Youboty or Kelly Jennings. All in all though, I’m glad the Texans signed Mario, because if nothing else, it will make tomorrow a lot more interesting.

How thrilled do you think the saints are over this. Williams has a good chance to be special. He’s a freak, but not the caliber of Reggie Bush. Bush is a gamebreaker, Williams playmaker. I would be rioting in Texas if this is the case.

I can see why they did it though. Davis will get his 1000 yards if they can half way upgrade that line. I think if they didn’t sign Bush they would’ve been better to trade the pick. This is the deepest draft in awhile. They could got 2 first rounders in a multiple team trade and packaging Davis for the #1 spot.

Can you say Vernon Davis and Winston Justice, sounds alot better than Super Mario. This signing could rock this draft and cause every team in the top ten has to back to the drawing boards.

Bush is too special to pass up. He’s the best raw talent the NFL has seen in along time. I think Williams is the safer pick but Bush is worth the gamble. It’ll be very intersting to see how this pans out in 3 years.

I didn’t mean packaging Davis. I have several things going on right now and slipped on that.

And the Saints will give new meaning to the term “the deuce is loose” cause you can kiss his @ss goodbye.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
But there’s no guarantee the over-rated kid will even start. [/quote]

He probably would. If you’re going to pay a guy so much money, you might as well start him to see if he’s worth it…right?

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
rainjack wrote:
Bush will never gain over 700 yards per season. THE most over-rated player in the draft. If he’s at any school other than USC - no one ever knows who he is.

Are you serious? I know you’re from Texas, but do you honestly believe this? Have you ever watched him play aside from the Rose Bowl? I’m not sure if he’s the second coming of Gale Sayers, but as long as he stays healthy he will be very good.[/quote]

No offense to RJ but he probably hasn’t seen more than 4 or 5 games of Bush play, probably less. Not to mention that he’s extremely biased.

Most people haven’t seen him play more than 4 or 5 games. I am thankful that I’ve seen him play in more than 20 games.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I’ve seen him play, he’s too small and too light to handle a 291 pound DE getting a hold of him. And don’t give me the “he’s really really quick” crap. He was a good college player.

I could be a 1,000 yard rucher in the PAC-10 and I have two bum knees.

[/quote]

He’s 205 lbs, that’s not light, that’s about avg for a running back. He’s 21 yrs old. He can gain some weight, just like Portis has. Good college players don’t dominate and win a heisman, great ones do.

YOU, 1000 yards…j/k

[quote]Drecappa wrote:
Most of the impact guys in the past decade have been mid first rounders and even lower. [/quote]

Past 10 NFL Defensive Rookies of the year:

2005- Shawne Merriman (12)
2004- Jonathen Vilma (12)
2003- Terrell Suggs (10)
2002- Julius Peppers (2)
2001- Kendrell Bell (2nd round)
2000- Brian Urlacher (9)
1999- Javon Kearse (19)
1998- Charles Woodson (4)
1997- Peter Boulware (4)
1996- Simeon Rice (3)

Past 10 NFL Offensive Rookies of the year:

2005- Carnell Williams (5)
2004- Ben Rothlisberger (11)
2003- Anquan Boldin (2nd round)
2002- Clinton Portis (2nd round)
2001- Anthony Thomas (2nd round)
2000- Mike Andersonn (undraftd)
1999- Edgerrin James (9)
1998- Randy Moss (21)
1997- Warrick Dunn (12)
1996- Eddie George (14)

Only 5 of the 20 drafted after 21, only 7 drafted after 14, only drafted after 12.

Although maybe that does support the Texan’s choice as it might seem like high-profile defensive players do do better.

I still think that you can’t pass on Reggie Bush, he’s just one of those rare players. He might be a flop, but then again he might be the best running back in NFL history. I think you have to take the gamble.

Where do you get your references from? Edgerin James went 4th to the colts in front of Ricky Williams.

Why all the hate about Reggies Rose Bowl performance? He had almost 100 in both catagories. He had a turnover, so what.

I also predict Lendale White falls to the steelers and becomes the steal of the draft. However I wouldn’t be suprised if he’s gone before then though.

[quote]ccardill wrote:
sasquatch wrote:

The concern of many top execs is whether Bush can perform at the level he did against Pac-10 defenses in the NFL. Look at his perfromance against Texas as an example.

bush had 13 carrieds for 82 yards and 6 catches for 95 yards. thats 9.3 a touch. besides the errant lateral, how is that a bad game??[/quote]

Bush’s long catch came at the end of the game on a dump pass, which is garbage yardage.

The reception yardage is a little skewed due to an end of the game screen pass that really accomplished little.

Bush is a rb/kr/pr/wr/decoy and a mismatch nightmare. Imagine him coming out of the backfield lining up next to Andre Johnson. Who going to guard him? A linebacker (MAYBE Urlacher), the safties are going have to spy him the whole time wether he lines up at receiver or not, and this is going to create a 1 on 1 matchup where Johnson would just beat up on one of those little cornerbacks. I think Bush could’ve helped the texans alot more. I guarantee teams would think twice about bringing the blitz when he’s on the field. The sacks would decrease, Carr wouldn’t be looking so bad, the offense would be better, and the defense would in turn be better by not being on the field so much.

Take 25 yards off Bushes Rose Bowl numbers. That’s 150 yards all purpose yards and a TD. Pretty bad huh, had Lendale not been running wild I bet his “subpar performance” would’ve been alot better.

Btw, I’m a diehard UW fan. I’ve seen the trojans every year Bushes been there. He could potentially redefine the RB position.

Man, people down here are pissed off big time. Mattress Mac even called in to a local radio station and cried boo-hoo for a few minutes. Oh well, fuck him and his overpriced furniture.

Williams is a monster, and people who say it’s a dumb choice need to look at past DE / DT’s taken first overall and take in to account how important a stud DE is to your team. For instance, The Colts let Edge walk, yet are trying to lock Freeney up for the long term. Edge has been one of the best backs since he was drafted.

I’m so excited about this draft. I’M watching this thinking this is going to be the best draft class of ALL-TIME! LIENART, Young, Bush, D’Brick, LenDale, Williams, Hawk, and not to mention a bunch otheres. I’m watching and Lienart is there at #3 and if the Jets don’t draft him and go after Bush I’m going to be pissed. The Jets are my favorite east coast team.

Fuckin A!!! Steelers trade up to 25!!!

My predictions were way off. I can’t believe the Raiders passed on Leinart. I’m sure Huff is a Polamalu type player but Leinart=pin point accuracy to Porter, Moss, and Curry. Don’t unsterstand that at all. They must think another QB of Leinarts caliber is somewhere else in there future (ya right).

The Steelers must’ve been high on Holmes cause they gave up two picks to grab him when they couldve had someone just as capable at the last pick in the 1st.